[HATCHING] Seven Shine the Shiners

Inset into the wall of the caldera is a smaller cavern, partly sheltered and partly open to the air. The hatching sands of Nightwatch are small, scaled for a green rather than a gold, and with only a few rows of stands for seating. They were a late addition, rather than a part of the original weyr plans. The geothermal activity keeps the sands blistering hot to incubate eggs.
Ferret
Weyrcaptain
Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 06:11

12 Apr 2012, 04:48 #51

As a matter of fact, the only smithcrafter I'marin knew was his dad (who was not inclined to give him a hiding at this age). But he knew the tone: the carefully polite tone that often came before a storm of shit. "...no," he finally answered, lying through his sharding teeth and making a note to teach Brie about boundaries in the future; she was getting big enough that it was no longer cute. It was just invasive. "Sorry, sir, she usually almost never does this. It must be the excitement of the Hatching. Brie, leave him!"

Oh hey! A firelizard was talking to her now! Given that Brie's only experience with firelizards was Sassy, she didn't know what to make of Adamant's aggressive hisses. She whistled a greeting up to the little flit, completely ignoring the human politics going on around her.

What? No meatrolls? T'nar clearly couldn't have been important after all... surely not compared to the drama on the Sands. At least it meant she stopped snuffling at T'nar and gave him his personal space back. Who is that? she demanded, referring to the peculiar blue woman (who was, by now, more red than blue).

"I don't know, Brie. I don't know everyone," I'marin murmured, switching back to audible conversation. Sometimes mind-talking still took took much concentration. It looked like one of the Candidates----what was her name? Sila? Sylva? Sylvia?----went to help and M'ska glared her away. Welp. Nothing that I'marin could do.

Needless to say, Brietath was already bored of the human drama and focused on the new little red coming towards the Stands. Hello! I'm Brietath and this is mine. His name's I'marin, she greeted Kibeth. Only I'marin's hand stopped her from leaving the Stands then and there.

We're on thin ice already, Brie. Stay HERE. he hissed mentally at her.

Fine, be boring like that... mine says 'congrats' to you and Yours.
|x| Oren of Gold Oresk (#FAE9A3)
|x| Doktorr of Green Donnath (#34A621)
|x| C'ren of Green Ceylith (#ADEBB6)
|x| Leevi - Journeyman Mindhealer
|x| I'marin of Red Brietath (#CD1D23)
|x| Cordel - Journeyman Healer
|x| Wherhandler Mal of Blue Mask (#82C6F8)%mh%-469%mh%
Reply

giftwrapped
Wingleader
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 03:09

12 Apr 2012, 15:14 #52

Whistle cheep eep chrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Though it wasn't the ridiculous noise of her little blue clutchsibling, the Speaker dragonet was certainly making up for lost time in sheer quantity of sound. There had been no screeching yet, but she certainly wasn't holding back as she continued breaking her way out of the shell, a constant steady drone of sound that sounded more or less like a play-by-play. Binder simply watched her with tolerant amusement, and as soon as the shell split enough to allow a little green head, neck, and foreleg, he nuzzled her and turned away. She crooned, a little bit sadly, but that was all right. Binder had gone to find His. She would wait. And breaking eggs was exhausting, anyway. Letting out a hefty churr, she flopped down on the Sands and rested for a moment.

Binder, meanwhile, was approaching the Candidates. He had already felt the one he had been looking for out here, and it was just a matter of finding - hmm. A brief look over the line of Candidates didn't actually turn up the one he was looking for, which meant that - ah, right. Over there. Snorting to himself, Binder shook his wings out and trotted off to where His was being turned away from the woman who had tried to steal his brother.

He curled a lip in mild annoyance at her, but that was a human matter, and dragonets couldn't do anything about that. He had faith she would be brought to justice. Crooning low and happy in his throat, he stopped alongside his bonded and tilted his head so he was at eye-level with her.

Silva, he said in a calm voice, eyes whirling rainbows as he watched the streaks of red the other woman's blood left on the Sands, you were doing a good job, and I'm glad you went to help her. But you're a Candidate, and they will have Healers of their own soon. He bumped the young woman's shoulder affectionately, rumbling deep in his chest like a cat's purr. I am sorry I'm not a brown, but I think blue suits you better. It brings out your eyes.

On the Sands, the Sleeper egg was still failing to respond to the noises Waker was making at it. Well, fine then. Waker snorted and wrapped his front talons around it. If it wasn't going to come out of its shell to Waker's calling, Waker would open it his own damn self. Snorting, he began to chew on the little silver egg with extreme prejudice.

[Blue Saraneth to Silva]

[x] (109C87) I'saac of Green Ellibreth - Candidatemaster
[x] (548B54) J'ax of Green Elizabeth - Searchrider
[x] (CDC673) D'ros of Brown Urdnoth - Wingrider
[x] (CD6600) Serdek of Bronze Sersk - Bronzehandler
[x] (B25515) Haless of Brown Ponfoth - Weyrling/Mindhealer
[x] (8B2500) V'tel of Brown Nemiath - Wingrider%mh%-15%mh%
Reply

giftwrapped
Wingleader
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 03:09

12 Apr 2012, 15:25 #53

Tag M'ska and T'nar

Rilyehli didn't resist the tourniquet, per se, though she did hiss loudly as M'ska tightened the strip of fabric around her arm. There was someone else talking to her, but before she could give the chit of a girl the verbal hiding she deserved, the greenrider had sent her away. She opened one eye to glare at the man who was still doing his damnedest to save her (no doubt so they could stake her out for the Deep Ones) and noticed with mild surprise that the one who had been shaking her had actually moved away from her.

Not that it mattered, because one of the men they had recently elected as Weyrleader decided it was time for him to join the party. Blue kept her eyes open as the man approached, speaking to M'ska. Her lip curled, and she resisted the urge to spit at the man as he spoke. "This thing can take herself to the Infirmary," she snapped, though she doubted it would mean anything. But if they left her alone, she could get treated and flee. She knew how to live in the wilderness. There were bandits who would take her in. She could get away with it, if she had a moment.

But something was telling her she wasn't going to get a moment.

[x] (109C87) I'saac of Green Ellibreth - Candidatemaster
[x] (548B54) J'ax of Green Elizabeth - Searchrider
[x] (CDC673) D'ros of Brown Urdnoth - Wingrider
[x] (CD6600) Serdek of Bronze Sersk - Bronzehandler
[x] (B25515) Haless of Brown Ponfoth - Weyrling/Mindhealer
[x] (8B2500) V'tel of Brown Nemiath - Wingrider%mh%-15%mh%
Reply

giftwrapped
Wingleader
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 03:09

12 Apr 2012, 16:55 #54

The Sleeper egg, apparently having had enough of being chewed on, began to rock more violently. But the dragonet within seemed to be having some trouble freeing itself. It tipped over onto one side, shuddered violently - and it was hard to tell whether it was Waker's efforts or those of the baby within, but the thick shell cracked.

A moment later, two solid, sturdy hindlegs punched their way out of the Sleeper's shell, and kicked Waker right in the jaw. Sleeper was having none of this bullshit.

As the blue retreated, honking and creeling all the way, Sleeper freed itself the rest of the way, albeit with a casual and unhurried air. Why was everyone so impatient? The hatching would proceed in its own time, at its own pace. At last, in the shattered remains of the silver shell stood a powerfully built little white. This was no Estrith, feeding on a sibling to gain muscle mass, but simply a fine specimen of a dragon. Sleeper shook itself off, grumbling softly, then ambled in the direction of the Candidates with eyes already returning to a pleasant green. Looked like this one wasn't a mauler.

And also not a time-waster. Sleeper made a direct beeline for Tessica, not bothering to stop or even acknowledge any of the other Candidates with a sideways glance. Why bother?

Tessica, you would not believe how exhausting it is to break your way out of an egg. The voice, once heard, was distinctly masculine. He leaned up against her leg, the earlier grumbles turning into something rather more like a purr. Do you think I could convince you to carry me? Hopeful eyes. Hopeful rainbow-swirling baby dragon eyes.

His brother, meanwhile, had been sent off squealing, and for a moment ran blindly around the Sands honking plaintively, until he tripped over his own feet and went down, knocking his jaw on the Sands in an incredibly-undignified faceplant. There was a bit of a pause there while the little blue determined whether or not any permanent damage had been done, and as he lifted his head, he snorted and went charging straight toward the few Candidates that remained, a soft high-pitched noise whistling from him rather like a kettle left on too long.

Mooooooooooooooooooom, MOM did you see that? DID YOU SEE WHAT RANNATH DID? he called accusingly, not stopping until he had collided soundly with Ainmira's legs and coiled around her, glaring daggers at his white brother.

[White Rannath to Tessica]
[Blue Mosraeth to Ainmira]

[x] (109C87) I'saac of Green Ellibreth - Candidatemaster
[x] (548B54) J'ax of Green Elizabeth - Searchrider
[x] (CDC673) D'ros of Brown Urdnoth - Wingrider
[x] (CD6600) Serdek of Bronze Sersk - Bronzehandler
[x] (B25515) Haless of Brown Ponfoth - Weyrling/Mindhealer
[x] (8B2500) V'tel of Brown Nemiath - Wingrider%mh%-15%mh%
Reply

Sil
Fresh Meat
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 20:44

12 Apr 2012, 17:02 #55

Apparently little blue Waker was not going to be the only vocal dragonet from this clutch. Though she had not yet hatched, the Speaker was extremely vocal, punctuating her movements with various noises. It was kind of adorable, actually, especially with one of her brothers watching on. The effort soon wore her out though, and she lay on the sands resting. That left the Binder blue free to go find his bonded. Would he be hers? He didn't seem quite as haughty as his siblings. In fact, he seemed to know exactly who he wanted... and unfortunately, it quickly revealed itself to not be Yithel.

Silva seemed nice enough though, so Yithel gave a polite clap for their Impression, though she wasted very little time to watch their first few minutes as a bonded pair. There was still two dragons and an egg on the sand, and the Sleeper again was still stubbornly still. Please don't be a dud, please don't be a dud, she murmured to herself, hoping her mantra would protect against that, knowing that it couldn't.

Though she couldn't do anything, Waker apparently could. His strategy was more than a little unorthodox. Would chewing on the egg actually open it up? Should they step in and stop him? He could hurt his sibling! But Yithel wasn't going to be foolish. She wasn't going to run up and get involved unless she was specifically called to do so. Any of these three dragons could be hers, and though it was fascinating to watch whatever was in the tiny Sleeper egg try and hatch, she would not jeopardize her chance to Impress to do so. The tired green could be her future bond-mate. The noisy blue could be hers, or whatever was inside the still egg could be, if there was anything in it at all. What if the dragonet inside died? Would Ellibreth know? What if she had been called to the sands for nothing? Horrible possibilities were pouring through her mind now, and her sweat took on a cold feeling. Calm yourself... You WILL Impress. You were chosen.

Apparently she just wasn't going to Impress to the white that finally emerged from the Sleeper egg with two kicks of his hind legs, or to the blue that had so cheerfully helped all his siblings hatch. Those two quickly ran off to find their future riders. That left Yithel and the green. The green had to be her future bond mate, right? Right?... Anyone?
[x] Yithel of Green Dyrith
Reply

giftwrapped
Wingleader
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 03:09

12 Apr 2012, 17:39 #56

Well, it was just the little Speaker green left, now. Huffing to herself, she stretched and made a single last attempt at the egg, slipping out of it and onto the Sands without much trouble. And for a few long breaths, she lay there, legs folded tightly up under her while she viewed the sand below her with an expression of thoughtful curiosity. Then, when she was done with that, she lifted her head and worked on getting to her feet. Apparently, this was a surprising amount of effort for the little green, who managed to stumble a fair few times before finally righting herself enough to get her legs under her.

And no wonder; those legs were surprisingly long for a dragonet, and she wobbled a few uncertain steps before her hindquarters gave up and she plopped down. She made a noise of mild indignation, then crooned quietly and straightened herself up. Well, this was her show now, she supposed, and the thought brought the slightest thread of yellow to green-whirling eyes. But no matter, the important bit was that her clutchsibs were safe.

And with that, she set off again, pausing on occasion to maintain her balance, but by the time she was finally in the area of the Candidates, she seemed to have improved her motor control a hundredfold. Though she wasn't quite as graceful as Astaraeth, her walk toward Yithel was deliberate, head held high so that she could investigate the Sands around her as she finally bumped lightly up against the young woman. I am glad you waited for me, Yithel, and there was no reason for you to get so nervous. We greens do not choose incorrectly, and my mother knew what she was doing when she picked the Candidates for this clutch. Even Belgaerth found his with no trouble - and Kibeth and Mosraeth, too. She crooned softly, then bobbed her head, a slight inclination that was strangely similar to a human nod.

You troubled yourself for nothing. And I am hungry.

[Green Dyrith to Yithel]

[x] (109C87) I'saac of Green Ellibreth - Candidatemaster
[x] (548B54) J'ax of Green Elizabeth - Searchrider
[x] (CDC673) D'ros of Brown Urdnoth - Wingrider
[x] (CD6600) Serdek of Bronze Sersk - Bronzehandler
[x] (B25515) Haless of Brown Ponfoth - Weyrling/Mindhealer
[x] (8B2500) V'tel of Brown Nemiath - Wingrider%mh%-15%mh%
Reply

Sil
Fresh Meat
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 20:44

12 Apr 2012, 19:52 #57

It was just Yithel and the green now. She stared intently, watching everything the little dragon did. The green was apparently not in any particular hurry, first examining the sand (what could possibly be so interesting), and then taking like what felt like hours to get to her feet. The reason became clear at the minute she was actually capable of standing- the green had astonishingly long legs. They looked difficult to walk and balance on, and the poor thing seemed to fall just as soon as she got to her feet. The poor thing looked distressed, but determined to make her way over.

Hopefully he was making his way over to Yithel. She was still not entirely willing to discount the dragon somehow passing her by for someone lurking in the shadows, because life was cruel and that would be the ultimate joke on her. She was even going to look over her shoulder to see who was behind her, who could be the real object of the green's determination, though that would mean taking her eyes off the dragon for even a second. Too much to risk.

Over time, the green's walk seem to improve. She wasn't exactly graceful, but she was moving without falling, which seemed like a feat in and of itself. She was curious and alert too. Though her path was leading her inevitably towards Yithel, she was sparing looks for everyone else, apparently trying to take it all in. Her path was so inevitable that it scarcely seemed to be true. Impression will be made in five, four, three, two...

I am glad you waited for me, Yithel, and there was no reason for you to get so nervous. We greens do not choose incorrectly, and my mother knew what she was doing when she picked the Candidates for this clutch. Even Belgaerth found his with no trouble - and Kibeth and Mosraeth, too. Her bump was affectionate, and the nod that followed seemed almost human.

You troubled yourself for nothing. And I am hungry.

Though she had known that it was coming, that this was the logical end to things, Yithel still felt dazed. She could only look at the green, take her all in. A name came to her mind as a gentle whisper. Dyrith. This was Dyrith, and Dyrith was hers, and she was Dyrith's.
[x] Yithel of Green Dyrith
Reply

Pamelot
Wingrider
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 22:30

12 Apr 2012, 20:47 #58

...and then, suddenly, dragon. Grand-slamming into her knees like nobody's business.

Mooooooooooooooooooom, MOM did you see that? DID YOU SEE WHAT RANNATH DID?

Mira - I'mir - just threw her hands around him and hugged him and laughed. Mosraeth unfurled his wings and hugged back, letting out a delighted little warble and sitting up on his haunches a little bit. Mosraeth was wriggling in the hug already, poking his muzzle here and there, sniffing and snorting like a baby runnerbeast.

Hey mom!Mom! MOM MOM! Mom!

"Mosraeth, I'm not your mom. Your mom's over there."

He stubbornly headbutted her forehead and crooned, Mooooommmm! I'm starving! I'mir was totally mom. Everyone was mom.

"All right, come on." I'mir let him out of the hug, and moved to pick up the lute. When she turned around, Mosraeth already ran off, screeching, towards the meat buckets. NO WAY was he letting Rannath have all the best bits!

The buckets obviously didn't expect a head-on collision with a charging tiny blue dragon, and fell over, spilling their contents onto the sands. Mosraeth flared his wings and hissed at them - buckets aren't supposed to do THAT - but then, making sure that the buckets were SAFE, attacked the contents with unmeasurable ferocity. Omnomnomnom

"HEY! MOSRAETH! STOP THAT"

He turned his head towards his rider, muzzle coated in sand and blood and all the gross things. But I'm HUNGRY, mom!

"You're eating sand, dumbass." I'mir grabbed his head and started wiping the sand and the gunk off the little blue's face, while he was doing his best to wriggle out and go back to eating the meat laying on the floor. There were some escape attempts, but they were unsuccessful, because it's very hard to run off when someone is holding you by the headknobs. "Would you just - stop - wiggling!"

But MOOOOM!

She just wrestled him towards the other, still upright meat buckets. "Okay, let's try this again. Sit down, and I'll feed you." I'mir let him go, and Mosraeth squawked indignantly, but sat down none the less, eyeing the buckets with red-blue-green eyes. I'mir smiled in encouragement, and passed him some tiny pieces of meat. Mosraeth snapped them up with a speed that bordered on terrifying.

After they were done with feeding (much to Mosraeth's dismay), I'mir turned back towards the stands, where Rochelle and I'marin were sitting now. "Come on, let's go talk to your sister. And there are some people I'd like you to meet"

KIBETH! HEY KIBETH LOOK! I'VE A RIDER NOW!
--------
{x} Sol of White Speriath (#d8e7d8) - Overseer
{x} I'mir of Blue Mosraeth (#00E5EE) - Weyrling
{x} Risha of Blue Rishask (#0080ff) - Bandit
{x} D'oul of Blue Coelacanth (#072f8a) - WIngsecond
{x} Ta'li of Blue Kirraheth (#243b53) - Searchrider
{x} R'lor of Green Ninath (#7bbe17) - Wingrider
{x} Taimur of Bronze Taisk (#553300) - Pirate

%mh%-298%mh%
Reply

Meesh
Wingleader
Joined: 26 Jan 2012, 01:10

12 Apr 2012, 23:41 #59

Silva

What?

You were doing a good job, and I'm glad you went to help her. but you're a Candidate, and they will have healers of their own soon Rainbow eyes met hers as a dark-blue muzzle nudged her shoulder in affection. Silva could only stare in astonishment as the blue continued. I'm sorry I'm not a brown, but I think blue suits you better. it brings out your eyes. Silva only smiled, shaking her head slowly. "Are you kidding? You're perfect she whispered, leaning forward to hug the large dragonet. He crooned gently in response, leaning into her.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm just a tad hungry

Silva hugged her armful of dragonet, "Well we better get you fed then" turning and heading towards the meat-buckets, arm still on her blue. The rest of the eggs could have their fun hatching- as far as she was concerned, it was just her and Saraneth, the rest of the world be damned.
Reply