Old SOD Scans and Articles

June 13th, 2006, 9:38 pm #1

Last edited by Mrs.B. on October 10th, 2006, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2006, 9:38 pm #2

August 20, 1991 - Days Of Our Lives - Deidre Hall

I mentioned several months back that I had stacks and stacks of SOD's from the 80's on with NBC soap characters on the covers. I said once I got a scanner I would scan the covers and post them on the board. I will post the scan and article in Madames Gallery as well. I will type out the article that goes with the cover pic and than pick one other tidbit or article from that issue. I think it will be interesting to read what was going on back then. If you like this feature be sure and let me know. If there is no interest in it I won't continue doing it.

Today's cover scan is dated August 20, 1991 Vol. 16, No. 17

Cover Story - "We Have To Have You Back" by Stella Bednarz
DAYS Made Deidre Hall An Offer She Couldn't Refuse

Deidre Hall is back - and on her own terms. After an absence of four years, one of the true divas of daytime is reprising Dr. Marlena Brady, Salem's favorite shrink, on DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

When we last saw Marlena, she was a prisoner of the villainous Orpheus, who'd abducted her as revenge against her husband, Roman. On a tropical island, Marlena was presumed dead a plane crash. In good soap fashion, though, no body was found. So, it's no surprise that Marlena is alive and kicking.

After achieving succes on prime time - including her own series, OUR HOUSE - why has Deidre Hall returned? Soap Opera Digest interviewed her to get the answers.

Did you talk to DAYS before this?
DH:
"Oh, yes. There was always an open door police. I would talk to Al [Rabin, DAYS's supervising executive producer] and he would say, 'We're always ready to have you back,' though there were never any terribly overt offers."

How did your return happen?
DH:
"I had a mini-series on in February and a TV movie on in April and [Executive Producer] Ken Corday called me in late May and just said, 'What will it take? We have to have you back.' I said, 'I don't think you have it.' He said, 'Give us a try.' It's a multi-pact deal. Kenny was incredibly generous - it deals with movies of the week, a production deal, a development deal. It's everything you can imagine. And, it's only for six months, which had never been done before. I thought six months was a good time. I'll be back on the market for pilot season."

Did DAYS present a scenario for Marlena's reappearance?
DH:
"When we began talkin, I think we all assumed I would be returning as Marlena. Then, as we got farther down the line, they wanted me to play a different character. The deal had been worked out, and I said no. I loved Marlena, and that's who I wanted to play. Where was the fun for me? So I walked away, they walked away, and the deal fell apart."

Later, you worked it out. Were you aware they were also talking to Wayne Northrop (ex-Roman)?
DH:
"Yes."

Did his status affect your decision about whether or not to return?
DH:
"When I went in to talk to Al the first time, I said, 'I thought long and hard about why Marlean would have stayed away from Salem. She stayed away from her family, her practice. Why? I don't like amnesia stories or torture chamber stories. The only reason I could think of would be if she had found Roman.' And everybody's jaw fell open and Al said, 'Do you mean Wayne?' I said, 'Yeah, I mean Wayne.' There was a long silence. They said, 'Do you think he would consider it?' I said, 'Why don't you call him?'"

Were you and Wayne in contact after you left the show?
DH:
"We've been in constant touch. We're best friends. Wayne and I did the play Love Letters. It was fabulous. I've stayed friends with a number of other people, like John Delancie [Eugene]. Wayne has been a constant and loving friend. I was there the day his baby was born; I was the first one to see him at the hospital. Lynn [Northrop's wife] looked great."

What about Marlena's clothes?
DH:
"I'll do my own wardrobe. I have a fashion consultant who does my shopping."

Will you have storyline input?
DH:
"I never believe in dictating storyline."

Have you missed playing Marlena?
DH:
"I missed her a lot. I enjoyed playing her enormously for eleven years. She was always special to me. Marlena was a contemporary woman, on the cutting edge."

You've been involved with several projects since leaving DAYS. Does one stick out in your mind as being the most fun or fulfilling?
DH:
"There was the [TV] movie AND THE SEA WILL TELL. It was a chance to play a woman who was not glamorous, not wealthy, not educated. She was just a plain woman - very strong and determined - and she loved her guy a lot. The other part I loved doing especially was on MURDER, SHE WROTE. It was my first chance to do a real comedy piece."

Are you nervous about coming back to DAYS?
DH:
"I can't wait."

There was an article on Daytime's Top 10 Soap Characters called Accept No Substitutes.

These were the actors that they felt were irreplacable and the roles couldn't be recast. I won't type out the reasons why ... I'll just list the soaps and the actor.

All My Children - Susan Lucci as Erica Kane
Santa Barbara - A Martinez as Cruz Castillo
Guiding Light - Michael Zaslow as Roger Thorpe
Another World - Stephen Schnetzer as Cass Winthrop
One Life To Live - Erika Slezak as Viki Buchanan
Bold And Beautiful - Darlene Conley as Sally Spectra
Days Of Our Lives - Peter Reckell as Bo Brady
As The World Turns - Elizabeth Hubbard as Lucinda Walsh
General Hospital - Tristan Rogers as Robert Scorpio
Young And Restless - Jeanne Cooper as Katherine Sterling
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2006, 5:42 pm #3

June 2, 1987 - Santa Barbara - Ross Kettle & Robin Wright

Published June 2, 1987 Vol. 12 No. 11

The articles are the cover story and an interview with the late Bill Bell.

Cover Story – “Hot Property” by Michael Logan
Will Her Role in the Upcoming Film, The Princess Bride, Turn SANTA BARBARA’s Robin Wright From Soap Actress to Hollywood Star?

She is indescribably delicious. No one in daytime television, probably no one in prime time, and maybe even no one in the cosmos is more naturally beautiful than SANTA BARBARA’s Robin Wright.

Her dressing room, however, is another story.

“It’s a dump today,” she announces, making it sound far less like an apology and more like a ground rule. The search is on to find a not-so-embarrassing locale for the interview. Along with the soap’s press wiz, Mary Andersen, and She-Wa, Wright’s by-now-infamous three-legged dog, we stroll the production department hallway until the office of an out-to-lunch executive is found. Andersen, who has brought along a paper plate full of green grapes, offers them around. Wright declines, donning an expression that’s somewhat cross-eyed and certainly pained. By osmosis, Andersen gets the message and digs out a cigarette. The girl who plays heiress-in-distress, Kelly Capwell, takes it, lights up and admits, “I’ve never bought a pack of my own.”

Perfectly proportioned (there isn’t a spare ounce anywhere), Robin is fond of sprinkling the conversation with observations like, “I used to have cheekbones,” and “I used to be real skinny.” Sure, you want to smack her, but the kid means business. “I’ve gained weight since I’ve been on the show,” claims the one-time model. “You don’t have time to go home and be on your macrobiotic diet. Here you grab a donut, a cup of coffee and smoke another cigarette. I don’t do any of this at home. I won’t have cigarettes lit in my house – and I smoke like a fiend here.”

Tense? Irritable? Over-stressed? Nope. Robin Wright is simply at the crossroads. Word around town has it that the little lady is going to be a very, very big star. Last year’s Emmy nomination for Outstanding Ingenue didn’t hurt, but the major reason people are talking about her is the upcoming film, The Princess Bride, in which she plays the title role. Directed by Rob Reiner, the twenty-five-million-dollar medieval fantasy adventure is the eagerly awaited follow-up to his box office smash, Stand By Me - and it just could be Wright’s ticket to the top.

But there’s one slight catch. The flick required a four-month-long shooting schedule on location throughout England and, in order to get sprung from her soap role, the actress reluctantly agreed to add another nine months to her contract. Translated, this means that no matter how ga-ga Hollywood goes over Wright’s movie debut – and no matter how many offers come pouring in – she’s chained to the soap until mid-1988. “That wasn’t a fair trade,” she surmises, “but it was worth it. My agents and managers decided that I should agree to anything, to work Saturdays, to kiss their butts for the next nine months, whatever it took to get out and do the film.”

Initially, nobody wanted Robin for the big-screen role. The part required a British accent, and talent hunters had already scoured England, auditioning some five hundred actresses for the coveted lead. When the search proved futile, Reiner and Oscar-winning screenwriter William Goldman (of All The President’s Men fame) resorted to Hollywood to read hundreds more. Remembers Wright, “When my agent asked ‘Well, how about Robin?’ the casting director said, ‘No way, we need a read serious actress who has a lot of study behind her.’”

The agent persevered and nabbed Wright an audition before the reluctant scouts. Wowing them with her reading – and her English accent wasn’t bad, either – the actress was immediately scheduled for a call-back before Reiner on the following Monday morning. When it was later discovered that that day’s audition schedule was horribly over-booked, Robin was asked, “Would you mind, instead, going up to Reiner’s house on the Saturday before?”

No problem. Wright showed up and read for both the director and Goldman (who had final casting approval) and wound up staying for lunch. “I went in scared out of my mind,” the actress confesses, “but we just really took to each other.” This soon proved to be one of the all-time, major understatements when, upon her departure, Reiner walked her to the car and said quietly, “I think you’ve got it.”

“Well,” she says, “I freaked out all the way home in the car.” By the first thing Monday morning, it was official; the rest of the call-backs had been cancelled and throughout Hollywood, there were a lot of despondent actresses who never knew what hit them.

Prospects of movie stardom aside, though, Wright wants it made clear that she’s not anti-SANTA BARBARA. “I don’t want to knock it,” she states. “It’s been great. This has been my acting class – and paid-for training ain’t bad.”

She’s not being modest. Prior to landing the Kelly Capwell part, Wright hardly had an overcrowded acting resume. In fact, by the time the network contacted her for a call-back, Robin had so lost interest in SANTA BARBARA and the business that she was found in Hawaii, where she’d just signed on as a crew member of a boat bound for the Bahamas. While her work on the first few episodes was wobbly at best, no one will argue that the newcomer got real good real fast. What she lacked in skill, she more than made up for in presence, a fact that is attributable, no doubt, to her earlier stint as a model.

At age fifteen, Wright extended a European vacation (a graduation gift from Mom) by finding modeling work throughout the continent. “With only fifty bucks in my pocket and two days left before I had to get back on a plane, I figured, why not give it a shot?” she recalls. She and a girlfriend would deposit their backpacks in a train station locker, spruce up, don their best outfits and hit the modeling agencies. Too short for high fashion strutting, Robin nevertheless was quickly snapped up for beauty covers.

The plan extended her sightseeing by several months, but it wasn’t all heaven on earth. “It was tough psychologically,” she admits. “A bunch of us models would be getting ready in the makeup room and someone would come in, point to another girl and say, ‘She’s prettier than Robin. Let’s take her.. . .’ Your ego is deflated, then it’s up, then it’s down. When you’re fifteen and just going through puberty, it can really screw you up. It got to the point where I would feel insecure and inferior in crowds of people.”

To an extent, she’s rebelled ever since. Unless absolutely mandatory, Wright won’t wear makeup. Unless the SANTA BARBARA wardrobe man hands her something sensational to wear, she’s much happier in grubby sweats. And she doesn’t take crap from anybody. At least that’s what on-screen love Ross Kettle (Jeffrey) was warned about. Says the actor, “Robin was out of the country making the film when I joined the cast. I didn’t know who she was, so of course I was curious as to who I’d be acting with. So I asked around, and everybody said, ‘Oh, she’s lovely, you’ll really enjoy working with her, but she doesn’t take any crap.’”

Later, upon hearing this down on the set, Wright goes into hysterics. When she sobers up, she demands, point-blank, “Well, what does that mean exactly?”

Kettle, not wishing to get in over his head sort of shrugs.

“Is that what they say?” she proceeds, full speed ahead. Obviously, she wants names.

“Yes,” responds the actor. “That’s what they say – and they’ll always remain they

Wright doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry, so she chooses a third alternative – revenge.

“Ross is a total bore,” she smiles. “What are you, a Libra?”

“She stands around and maligns me all day long,” he harumphs.

“It keeps you on your toes, babe,” she grins. “You’re bored when I’m not here. Admit it.”

“She’s got such an ego,” Ross volleys.

“I love workin’ with ya,” Wright coos.

“I love workin’ with ya, too,” her co-star gasps.

Later, the actress assures us, “Ross and I really hit it off, thank God.” And this is one actress who knows a thing or two about chemistry. She fell in love with her first SANTA BARBARA leading man, actor Dane Witherspoon (ex-Joe Perkins). Rolling her eyes in ecstasy, Robin recollects, “They tested several couples to see who’d click. Dane and I read beautifully together – duh, not because we were in love from the minute we laid eyes on each other or anything. All I could think was, forget about the job – I’ll take you

Witherspoon lasted only three months on the show, but he’s still having a mad affair with Wright today. After comparing notes, the two discovered they’d practically been next door neighbors back in their home state of Texas – and the similarities didn’t stop there. Both privacy worshippers, they share a rustic mountain house in Santa Monica Canyon, and when the urge for even more solitude strikes, they jet off to some far-flung corner of the globe.

One recent escape, however, turned out to be less than idyllic. Having saved up their dough for a truly first-class furlough, Robin and Dane checked into the Hotel Bora Bora, one of the three most opulent hotels in the world. Unfortunately, their luggage wound up in Taiwan, then went on to the Philippines and, eventually, back to Los Angeles.

“So we roughed it for twelve days,” Robin sighs. “We smelled like jungle Tahitians. It was disgusting. I could braid the hair on my legs.”

The troubles, alas, weren’t over. All expenses, with the exception of food and drink, had been pre-paid months before, so the couple only brought along one thousand dollars, assuming it was plenty. After eating, drinking and being merry for a week and a half, they were presented with a restaurant tab of $3,800. “It was six bucks for a Heinenken beer!” recalls Wright, practically fainting at the memory. But what better place to be broke and nearly nude than the tropical South Pacific? At least, they had their privacy. “Not exactly,” reports Robin. “They had only one television show playing there – and it was SANTA BARBARA.”

Interview with Bill Bell by David Church

Is He Giving Up THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS?

Did BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL Dump CAPITOL?

Daytime’s Head Honcho Pleads “Not Guilty

The executive producer, head writer and co-creator of THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS is duplicating those chores on CBS’s new daytime drama, THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL. Bill Bell took a break from the thousand-and-one details that are involved in launching a new show to respond to the rumors (pro and con) about his two soaps.

Background: Bell got his start in show business at a Chicago radio station. In 1957 he hooked up with Irna Phillips and started writing the then-fifteen-minute-long GUIDING LIGHT. After a year of GL, he moved to AS THE WORLD TURNS, where he stayed for ten years. Then came the chance to serve as a head writer, for the then-ailing DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

D.C.: What made you break away to become head writer for DAYS OF OUR LIVES?
B.B.:
It was a challenge, I think. When DAYS started, it wasn’t doing very well at all. It was hard to leave Iran and ATWT – not just because of the camaraderie, but because those were the days when we’d have a 64 share and DAYS was just languishing. I was so nervous, I lost 10 pounds in the first week.

D.C.: Why so nervous?
B.B.:
It’s one thing to collaborate and another thing to be out on your own – suddenly. It’s scary and you second-guess yourself. Not that I’ve ever stopped second-guessing myself – I don’t think it’s something you outgrow. In any event, within two-and-a-half years, DAYS was the number one show in all of daytime. We replaced three producers along the way, did some recasting, and brought in some new, excellent actors like Susan Flannery, who’s now a part of THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

D.C.: She’s a wonderful actress . . . an underrated actress.
B.B.:
She’s fabulous. When I met Susan for drinks recently to talk about the character of Stephanie Forrester, I tried to remember when I’d last seen her. I realized it was when that picture was taken. (He points to a picture above his credenza – a shot of some of the mid-seventies DAYS cast framed by the twin towers of New York’s World Trade Center.) It was at the Emmy Awards in 1975. The awards were held on this enormous ship that sailed around Manhattan. Susan had just won the Best Actress award and she asked me if she could have a few days off to do a part in The Towering Inferno. She went right around and won a Golden Globe for that. She was part of the magic of those early days on DAYS. Bill and Susan Hayes … Ed Mallory – a tremendous character … those were wonderful days. And then Y&R came along and I’ve enjoyed fourteen equally terrific years on this show.

D.C.: Will you be transferring from Y&R to THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL?
B.B.:
I’ll do everything I’ve been doing on Y&R. I’ll just assume additional duties on THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

D.C.: How can you do that, Bill? I’d imagine the tension, the sheer amount of work is extraordinary.
B.B.:
I’ve got a terrific team – a core of people who’ve worked together for many years now. We’re a well-oiled machine. Granted, I don’t do much of the actual writing on Y&R. I’ll occasionally dictate a few key lines for a scene and I’m always very involved with the story. It’ll be somewhat different on THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL. I’m doing detailed outlines for each episode and the writers take it from there.

D.C.: How did THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL come about?
B.B.:
It started about ten years ago when Y&R took off. CBS wanted another show and I wasn’t ready to do another show then. About five years ago I intimated that I might be ready but then pulled back, and that ultimately led to CBS putting CAPITOL on the air. May I digress for a moment?”

D.C.: Sure.
B.B.:
I don’t want people ever to think that we’re replacing CAPITOL. I know that feeling is out there, but the point is we had a commitment for a show a year ago. We were going to go on and, some show – who knew which one? – would go off. It could have been any show, it wasn’t predetermined. It just happened to be CAPITOL. And we were committed a year before CAPITOL went off, we just kept pushing back the day. I was supposed to be on the air a year ago September, but we wouldn’t have been ready then, so we went to January and, for a number of reasons, the network preferred to go with a March debut. What’s important is that now we’re on and I don’t want to inspire a negative attitude s the guy who dumped CAPITOL. Not guilty. No connection. A lot of people liked CAPITOL and, I might add, it was a very good show. But it’s no secret that the biggest problem John had with that show was the writing. Ultimately, I guess that was the thing that hurt the show to the extent that it had to be removed.

D.C.: Tell me about the cast of THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.
B.B.:
I was going to go for all new faces, and we’ve got some exciting new actors. Clayton Norcross, Ron Moss. . .both very handsome guys. Katherine Kelly Lang. . .Carrie Mitchum. . .but I discovered that I couldn’t find the right new people to play all of the roles. Then I started to look back. Jim Storm – he was on Y&R for a while, he’d be perfect for William Spencer. The same with Lauren Koslow, she’d been on Y&R and now she’d be just right for Margo Lynley. Of course, the central character, the one the other characters revolve around, is the most important because the balance of the show leads from the center. I called John McCook. I asked him to come to the office, no so much out of nostalgia but because I wanted to see what he looked like. He looked terrific. I told him I was coming up with a new show and I’d like him to think about it. He said he’d do just that and we agreed to get together after the first of the year. Frankly, John was a little younger than what I was thinking of for the role of Eric Forrester, but he’s such strong support, such a good leader among actors that by Christmas I knew I wanted him for the role.

D.C.: Carrie Mitchum, who’s the granddaughter of Robert Mitchum, and John Wayne’s son, Ethan Wayne, are on the show. This begs the question, were they hired for sheer acting ability or for a sort of second-generation glamour/publicity angle?
B.B.:
I asked myself the same question. When we read these young people, I backed up and said, ‘Whoa, are we casting them because of their name or their talent?’ If you go with the name, in the long run it hurts you and it hurts the show. When you’re starting a new show, you’ve got to go with what works, not with what looks good. I’ll admit, there’s probably more media attention around these kids than would be normal because of their background, but they have real talent. You’ll see it for yourself.”

D.C.: Is there anyone in the cast, anyone that your practiced eye tells you is going to break away and really fly with this show?
B.B.:
(a diplomatic pause) Hard to say. There are a few that might do it, but frankly it wouldn’t be too gentlemanly for me to make a guess. Let’s just say that I hope they are all successful.

D.C.: Will you be using known designers for the show, which is centered in the fashion industry?
B.B.:
We have a fashion consultant who will determine what’s used. It will be a mix, it will be exciting and, yes, we will be using known designers. I’m hoping that THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL will have a different look for the show. (a secretive chuckle) And we’ve got some surprises of our own.

D.C.: In the mood to share any?
B.B.:
(shaking his head) That’s one thing I’ve learned in daytime. The only good surprise is the one worth keeping.
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2006, 5:47 pm #4

September 15, 1998 - Days Of Our Lives Drama!

This issue is dated September 15, 1998 Vol. 23 No. 37

The articles are the cover story and 10 Storylines That Should Be Dumped. I included that article to show that when it comes to soaps there is always some storyline that we just don't like!

Cover Story – “Forget Me Not” by Stephanie Sloane and Alan Carter

As Sami Struggles to Recall Franco’s Tragic Shooting, Swamp Girl Comes Clean About Her Past and Hope Gets More Information to Piece Together Her Missing Years on DAYS

It’s the week to watch on DAYS OF OUR LIVES: Kate frames Sami for Franco’s murder, Hope finds out she was never scarred all those years ago and Swamp Girl reveals that her name is Greta – and she has a surprising connection to Hope. Enthuses Executive Producer Tom Langan: “Head Writer Sally Sussman-Morina has been putting this puzzle together for months, and we’re in the middle of a very exciting ride.”

SAMI: GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL

The Setup: Kate confronted Franco about his motives for marrying Sami and tried to make him call off the wedding. He refused, then went after her with a fireplace poker. Shots rang out. This week, we learn that the shooter was Lucas.

The Frame-up: When Sami comes in to lambaste her wayward fiancé for cheating and finds her dearly beloved dead on the floor, she passes out. Which gives Kate an idea: She wipes the prints off the gun, repositions Sami’s body and places the weapon in Sami’s hand. Carrie and Austin find Sami holding the gun near Franco’s dead body and assume the worst.

The Fallout: “She had a motive,” points out Langan. “Franco was cheating on her, and the last thing she said to Austin was ‘I’m going to kill the bastard.’ She came into that room in a fit of utter rage. In that confused emotional state, when she wakes up with the gun and people are asking her why she did it, what else is she going to think?”

Confused, Sami concedes that she might have killed Franco, which is even more than Kate could have hoped for. “When Kate hears Sami say she may have done it, she’s shocked,” reveals Lauren Koslow (Kate). “Things are finally going her way. She is a little happy about it, but she also has a conscience. She is doing this to protect her kids, and I imagine she will feel tremendous guilt. (Not enough to let Sami off the hook, though).

In the meantime, Lucas kidnaps Will, then calls his mother from the road. “He asks Kate what they’re going to do about Franco, and she says she’s taken care of it,” previews Langan. “He says, ‘What do you mean?’ but before she can answer, Lucas gets into a car accident. She he doesn’t know what she’s done.”

Lucas manages to free Will from the back seat before the car explodes, then flags down a motorist to get to the hospital. Sami, who’s already at the hospital with Franco’s body, is stunned when Lucas comes in with their son. “He’s doing a lot of things lately that can’t be justified,” sighs Bryan R. Dattilo (Lucas). “Everything is happening so fast.” While Will is being operated on, Lucas passes out and slips into a coma. “For all intents and purposes, when he wakes up, he’s going to tell the first person at his bedside that he killed Franco,” notes Langan. “There’s no reason for him to cover this up. Kate has to get to Lucas before he spills the beans.”

Sami, devastated that her son is in surgery and still reeling from the fact that she thinks she killed Franco, turns to – who else? – Austin for a shoulder to cry on. “She feels very stupid,” explains Alison Sweeney (Sami). “She really doesn’t have time to analyze how she feels about Franco or the murder or the betrayal. She has a lot more to freak out about. She has to go to jail.” Of course, once she has some time on her hands, expect Sami to question her circumstances. “She will eventually have to think she didn’t do it,” allows Sweeney. “I’m sure immediately she will suspect Kate and Lucas.”

In the meantime, Kate has to ensure her son’s support. “Lucas may not be as inclined to do this to Sami as Kate might thing,” Langan says. Dattilo concurs: “I think Lucas will feel bad that she’s taking the rap for him. I don’t think he could relish her being in that kind of pain because of him. He has to step up when it looks the bleakest for her and say , ‘I did it.’

And if that happens? “There will be a major ripple effect to this,” teases Langan. “Kate has now set up a plan of lies that if it ever starts to unravel, it is going to affect many lives. How will they ever get out of this is the truth comes out?”

HOPE: THE PAST IS HAUNTING HER

The Setup: For the better part of the last year, Hope has been searching for clues to what happened to her in the four years she was presumed dead. A trip to New Orleans produced photos of her in a hospital with bandages on her supposedly burned face. A later visit to Lugano revealed that she might be a woman named Princess Gina.

The Frame-up: This week, Hope meets a plastic surgeon aboard the Empress Express who examines her face and says she was never scarred. “So much of her identity since she got back to Salem has been his horrific event, which ripped her away from Bo, and the horrific way she ‘died’ in this terrible explosion,” points out Tom Langan. “For everyone in Salem, it’s been, ‘Poor Hope, look what Stefano has done to her.’ But now, she learns that Stefano never did any physical harm to her, so it catapults her to find out what she did do for all those years. Obviously, she was in Stefano’s control because she was living at Maison Blanche without a memory, so something happened in those four years.”

The Fallout: “This news drives her even more strongly into her past as Princess Gina,” reveals the exec. “She is starting to believe that at one time she was Princess Gina, but she feels her love for Bo validates her as Hope. She doesn’t believe for a minute she could have this strong love for a man and not be Hope. It’s incomprehensible to her. We’re now dealing with a renaissance of the feisty, spunky Hope, a young woman who is determined to find out what happened to her. She’s going to do whatever it takes to find out.”

SWAMP GIRL: WHAT’S IN A NAME

The Setup: While trying to get information about Hope in the New Orleans bayou, Bo befriended a mud-covered girl living among the animals. He began to notice eerie resemblances between Swamp Girl and Hope and wondered if she was his ex-wife. Alas, this week, Swamp Girl washes her face and Bo sees that she’s not Hope. But who is she?

The Frame-up: “We’ve played with the idea that Swamp Girl could be the real Hope, and obviously, she’s not,” Langan says. “So, of course, we will find out that this woman, Greta, has a story to tell. She says that she was hired as an actress because she resembled Hope and she took the place of Hope in the cage with Ernesto Toscano. It was supposed to be a magic trick; nobody was supposed to be hurt, but the trick went bad. And when the explosion happened, her face was scarred. She was in the hospital and had all those surgeries. We find out that all of the investigating Hope did was about Swamp Girl. Since the look alike, the doctor in New Orleans thought Hope could have been her.”

The Fallout: Why did Stefano take Hope from Toscano’s lair? “That’s still a mystery,” teases Langan. “That’s the Gina story. We know there’s a connection between Stefano, Hope and Gina. But we don’t know what it is. We will find out on that long journey.”

10 Storylines That Should Be Dumped

Every show has at least one storyline that doesn’t measure up to the caliber of the others. Here are 10 current tales that pale when weighed against their show’s other, better-told sagas.

#1 BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL Amber Is Pregnant First of all, for B&B teenage girl to have unprotected sex with two different men within one week is grossly irresponsible. Secondly, how does one go about having a baby just a few months after having major surgery to donate a kidney? More to the point, where is the scar on this little crop-topped honey? Lastly, the whole paternity freak-out is a non-issue. If the baby comes out African-American … we’ll all know who the father is.

#2 SUNSET BEACH Meg and “Dana” Are Pals How can Meg not know Dana’s true identity? She has seen countless photos of Ben’s dead wife, Maria – as well as a portrait! – and she still can’t figure it out. On the flip side, everyone talks to Dana about Meg’s fiancé, Ben, and her reaction is always, “Hmmm. That name sounds familiar….” How do you solve a problem like Maria? Give these two women a brain between them.

#3 ALL MY CHILDREN Erica Never Learns Anything How did Erica get to be pushing 50 and not learn a single thing about romance or men? Here she is, the mother of a daughter given up for adoption (Kendall) and a teenager recovering from an eating disorder (Bianca), yet Erica’s biggest problem remains: “Should I choose Jack or Mike?” not to be confused with “What shall I wear?” Grow up! When you get out of high school, you learn that life is not about what dress to put on and which boy to kiss. Normal people develop more pressing problems – so why hasn’t Erica?

#4 PORT CHARLES The General Homicide Mystery Sorry, but this story has one on way too long, has not developed enough of a following and hasn’t claimed a single popular core character. “Scotty’s the killer!” “No, it’s Julie!” “No, it’s Eve!” “Wait, it’s Victor!” How about this: “It’s over!”

#5 DAYS OF OUR LIVES The Saga Of Swamp Girl This dirty girl running through the woods moaning was sort of entertaining in the beginning. But this is dragging on too long. Is Hoper Hope or Gina? Is there Hope for Bo and Gina? Is there Hope for Bo and Swamp Girl? We’re dizzy. Cut her hair, wash her face, buy her a blouse and have someone call her by a name she can answer to – pronto!

#6 GENERAL HOSPITAL Nikolas Can’t Get A Date Help us understand: This sexy, young, leading man has not had a date since Sarah Webber (yawn) left town months ago – and those outings consisted of sharing soda at Ruby’s and talking about school. Hello? We realise he was raised on Spoon Island by the Addams Family, but even the Unabomber got out once in a while.

#7 ANOTHER WORLD All About Amanda Since when did Amanda Cory become the center of AW? Sure, it’s great to have Sandra Ferguson back in the role, but lately, it’s been THE AMANDA CORY SHOW. See Amanda run from Cameron! See Amanda get kidnapped by Scott! See Amanda get blown up with Gary! See Amanda eavesdropping when Cameron and Josie make love! How about showcasing some of the other Corys (Rachel and Paulina come to mind) and letting Amanda tend to Alli for a week or two – off-screen.

#8 AS THE WORLD TURNS Booting David Stenbeck Finally, ATWT finds a good-looking, entertaining villain. So what do they do? Fire him. Losing tons of storyline potential for David/Molly, David/James, David/Lucinda and even David/Lily. And on a personal note, is there a nicer, funnier, more accommodating guy on daytime than Daniel Markel? What were they thinking?

#9 GUIDING LIGHT Holly Is An Alcoholic Let’s see if we get this straight: Holly is wracked with guilt over what basically amounted to having coffee with Roger at the hospital because it propelled Fletcher out of town with their daughter, Meg. Roger promptly left town, too. So now Holly – who has survived rape, kidnapping, death, you name it – crumbles and hits the bottle. The Holly we know would have hired every private detective in Springfield and moved heaven and Earth to find her errant hubby and beloved daughter. But no – this Holly receives a letter in the mail and immediately gets drunk, risking the safety of poor paralyzed Blake’s twins in the process. Sorry, GL, we just can’t swallow it.

#10 YOUNG AND RESTLESS Ashley And Cole Fall In Love Where was the drama between Victoria and Ashley, rehashing all those years when Ashley was Vicki’s stepmother and Vicki loved her and confided in her? (Remember the safe sex debacle with Ryan?) Where was the passion and the courtship between Ashley and Cole that Y&R couples are so famous for? These two are about as hot as the empty side of Miguel’s bed – and at least that’s still warm from a murderous psychopath.
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2006, 1:49 pm #5

December 3, 1996 - Multiple Soaps - Our Favorite Heroines

December 3, 1996 Vol. 21, No. 25 Articles included are the cover story and 10 Characters who should have a hurricane named after them. Other articles in this issue inclue an interview with Stephen Nichols - YesterDAYS Patch revels in his new role as the subtle scourge of Port Charles, an interview with Deidre Hall - With demonic possession behind her, DAYS's Marlena focuses on the jewels in her life - her kids, her hubby and her, well, jewels..

The couple of the month was Bay City's (Another World) Gabe McNamara (John Bolger) and Lorna Devon (Robin Christopher). The 'Take Five' was with Austin Peck.

Cover Story – “Good Girls Do” by Carolyn Hinsey and Stephanie Sloane

For soap heroines, it takes grief, guts and glamour to come out on top

Daytime heroines have changed a lot over the years. Back in the ‘50’s, a heroine was a devoted wife and mother. In the ‘90’s devotion to kids and hubbies still applies, but modern heroine-ism also includes allegiances to mobster ex-boyfriends and the illegitimate children of fiancés – not to mention sprawling homes, white-hot careers and those fabulous designer duds. You’ve come a long way, babies.

“A heroine is a woman with sensible shoes and a little cleavage,” quips the actress who plays ANOTHER WORLD’s best example of a heroine, Jensen Buchanan (Vicky). “A willingness to do the right thing, but also a vulnerability.”

While vulnerability plays a part, a ‘90’s heroine also needs the ability to overcome adversity. All four cover girls lost their lovers in the past year: two to death, one to her sister and one to the mob. But, they bounced back. “Damien’s death really matured Lily,” believes AS THE WORLD TURNS’s Martha Bryne. “Nothing worse could happen now. She’s able to handle things better because she’s lost so much. I think she’ll take a few more risk than she did in the past and be stronger about it. She hit bottom. The only way to go is up.”

“All these things happen to Carrie and she comes out smiling,” marvels DAYS OF OUR LIVES’s Christie Clark, who says temperament is also key to today’s superwomen. “Being apart from Austin all that time and having to hide [her feelings]. Also, watching her sister try to have a family with him – and live with him!” The down side is the loss of innocence. “Carrie opened her eyes and doesn’t trust people so blindly,” notes Clark. “She felt way too sorry for her sister. She needs to put happiness for herself and Austin first.”

For GENERAL HOSPITAL’s Brenda, there have been plenty of hard knocks in the romance department. She moved out on true love Sonny when the lies about his mob ties got to be too much. Then, he wed Mafia princess Lily to stay out of prison. Lily’s pregnancy (and Sonny’s decision to stick by her, even though he loved Brenda) propelled her into Jax’s arms. “When Brenda finally realized that Sonny really loved her, that helped her to move on,” says Vanessa Marcil. “She felt the reasons he couldn’t be with her were beautiful. One was that he was trying to protect her, because Lily’s father wanted to kill her. The second was the baby.”

Clearly, today’s heroines are given much meatier material compared to the days when they poured coffee and listened to other people’s problems. “Let’s face it,” says Buchanan. “If the person your character loves most in life dies, it’s an opportunity to have great scenes.” When Vicky buried Ryan, she grew up for good. “Before, she was an unwilling heroine,” continues Buchanan. “Now, she’s more in the classic heroine vein. I think she’s a much more well-rounded character. My mom was telling me the other day that once you understand loss, you’re going to be a richer actress. There’s nothing like having children to make you understand the concept of loss. [Both Vicky and Jensen have two sons.] You have something to lose when you have children. That’s something I relate to, and also something that Vicky relates to. She can’t be quite as whimsical anymore. She has to stand for something now. Children learn by example.”

Byrne’s character had a child last year, too. “Lily manages to be a positive force for her son, and se’s not crying as much as she used to,” Bryne quips. “She’s not as fragile. Being a heroine means you have to grow and face the challenges that come up. Lily has become a better person an more well-rounded [since Damian’s death]. She’s not as much of a victim.”

GH’s Marcil feels that her character’s six months as Mrs. Jacks has matured her. “There is that part of Brenda that wants to have kids and be a good mom,” she theorizes. “When you try and grow up a little bit, change something about yourself, it seems like an amazing idea at first, Brenda really wanted this to be better. “Unfortunately, her plans are up in the air, thanks to the return of Jax’s first wife, Miranda – but that, too, will only make Brenda stronger.

“I would say that heroines are important because we need role models,” says DAYS Executive Producer Tom Langan. “People who do the right thing. Carrie represents that ideal because she is selfless and has a strong sense of morality. She sacrifices her own desires for the good of the whole.”

But, heroines rarely go it alone. They still need a hero to save them when tragedy strikes. Vicky has Jake and Bobby, Lily can turn to Diego or the brothers Kasnoff, Carrie has Austin, and Brenda can find comfort from Sonny or Jax. “Carrie feels like she needs a man,” agrees Clark. “I don’t think she does, really.”

No matter which suitor our heroines choose – or even if they decide to face life all by their lonesome – peril lurks at every turn. “Sensible shoes and little cleavage,” repeats Buchanan, “because you never know when you’re going to have to start running!”

DAYS WOMEN: VICTIMS VICTORIOUS? DAYS Executive Producer Tom Langan believes DAYS has been unfairly criticized over the years for victimizing its heroines. “Since I’ve been here, we’ve tried to steer away from that,” Langan points out. “I think the women on our show are heroines in their own right. They don’t need a man to save them. If you’ll notice, they’re pretty clever in terms of figuring out how to get themselves out of a mess. They may use the man as their confidante, but they’re pretty clever on their own.”

“We play the women pretty strong here,” continues Langan. “Like Marlena. She had great fortitude during that period when she was in the cage. When she finally ran into John, she was support for him rather, than him being support for her. Normally, it would be the other way around. I think the women are very positive role models on this show – even down to Sami. Here’s a young woman who gets what she wants.”

10 Characters Who Should Have A HURRICANE Named After Them

Whether they’re wrecking homes, stirring up trouble or just spinning out of control, these characters are always at the eye of the storm.

Hurricane Hayley, ALL MY CHILDREN Now more of a tropical depression thanks to the calming influence of rock-steady Mateo, it doesn’t take much to get Hayley’s winds back up to hurricane speed. Witness her turn-about-is-fair-play stint on THE CUTTING EDGE when Skye tried to skewer her on live TV. (It was Skye who needed emergency housing after that bid to embarrass little sister went bust.)

Hurricane Grant, ANOTHER WORLD While Grant was on the receiving end of Vicky’s recent spitstorm, he’s usually the one doling out the damage, including killing half-brother Ryan, shooting and imprisoning Vicky, and discrediting Michael in the hospital board elections. He even figured out a way to profit from Josie’s abduction! You don’t need a weatherman to know which way his wind blows (unless you’re Sharlene).

Hurricane Lucinda, AS THE WORLD TURNS The head of WorldWide sucks everyone into her vortex of wealth and power. Those who cross her had best watch out! La Walsh’s fury is especially powerful if daughter Lily is threatened. Of course, she adores raining on rival Lisa’s parade. Her latest hit: throwing water on Lisa’s romance with Martin.

Hurricane Stephanie, BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL There isn’t much that can calm Hurricane Stephanie when her beloved son, Ridge, chooses the wrong gal. Unfortunately, Ridge feels Mom’s wrath whenever he’s attracted to any woman who isn’t named Taylor. (At least he was smart enough to follow Brooke to Barbados when Stephanie stormed the barracks and took custody of the kids.)

Hurricane Tracy, THE CITY After causing millions of dollars worth of damage at ELQ during a takeover attempt in Port Charles, Hurricane Tracy has made her way east to the Big Apple. As she picks up speed, there will be more than a few Blockbuster nights in store for the SoHo-ers who never sleep. Compared to Tracy, the reign of Molly the Masquerader is going to look like a spring shower.

Hurricane Sami, DAYS OF OUR LIVES It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature. That’s Hurricane Sami’s lesson for hapless papa Austin and his perpetual non-bride, Carrie. Where her son, Will, is concerned, Sami always finds a way. Even when foreign governments aren’t involved, it’s hard to see through Mama Sami’s whirlwind as she rains on Austin and Carrie’s happiness.

Hurricane Jax, GENERAL HOSPITAL He drifted quietly into Port Charles from Australia (crazy tradewinds, go figure) before quickly picking up speed (can you say, “I already have my own calendar, mate”?). After joining Hurricane Tracy (see THE CITY) as a deadly one-two punch set on storming the beaches at ELQ, Jax’s winds have temporarily slowed as he changes course and concentrates on Tropical Storm Brenda.

Hurricane Roger, GUIDING LIGHT Most hurricanes last a few days (or a few contracts), but Hurricane Roger has been stirring things up in Springfield for decades. Talk about a federal disaster area. Let’s recap a few of Roger’s victims: He raped Rita in ’78, wife Holly in ’79, cheated on Alex in ’90 and swindled son Hart and his granddad out of their farm in ’91. Sure, Rog can feign an electroshock-induced rebirth as a good guy, but it will take more than a few treatments to quell his lightning storms.

Hurricane Todd, ONE LIFE TO LIVE Hurricanes sweep in, wreak havoc and are gone forever – unless one happens to be named Todd. In that case, the storm disperses and reforms a year later. Llanview had barely finished prying the plywood off the windows after its last encounter with Todd when he was back – burning things, stealing babies, lying to Marty and blowing off Blair.

Hurricane Phyllis, YOUNG AND RESTLESS Hurricane Phyllis was steady-as-she-goes in her drive to become Danny’s wife in more than name only. First, she used the apple of Danny’s eye (baby Daniel) to keep him tied up so that Christine would finally tie the knot with Paul. Now, Phyllis is wooing her ex with calm-before-the-storm portrayal of a “normal gal” who has nothing in common with the bare-bellied babe who first blew into Genoa City.
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2006, 3:58 pm #6

July 21, 1992 - Another World - Jake & Paulina

July 21, 1992 Vol. 17 No. 15 Articles included are the Late Breaking News article about Jake and Paulina and the Behind the Scenes article about Another World's prime time special,One Hot Summer Night.

Featured interviews in this edition included an interview with William Devane, (Knots Landing's Greg Sumner), Patrick Tovatt (ATWT's Cal Stricklyn), Gerald Hopkins (GH's A.J. Quartermaine) and Chris Bruno (AW's Dennis Wheeler).

Cover Story – “Another World’s Jake & Paulina Sizzle This Summer!”

Temperatures Rise on AW: A Sneak Peek At Jake And Paulina’s Long, Hot Summer

If you could think of a single word to describe ANOTHER WORLD’S Jake and Paulina, what would it be? While several adjectives come to mind, one tops our list: hot. These two strong personalities steam up the screen like they invented the word. And whether they’re making love, making up or making each other crazy, J&P always do it in style. This summer is no exception. As July melts into August, their romance – and rancor – will burn. Here’s a look at what’s ahead for Bay City’s red-hot lovers.

Home Sweet Home: No doubt about it, Jake and Paulina are the world’s happiest divorced couple. Now that they’re living together, look for them to bring new meaning to the phrase “domestic bliss.” When you catch their stay-at-home action, that love scene in the recording studio will seem almost mundane by comparison. So what if he blackmailed her into marrying him once upon a time? These two are in love, and it shows. Of course, there’s one small problem. . .

Roommate From Hell: As Jake and Paulina’s passion heats up, so will Jake’s temper. Why? It seems there’s more to sweet little Hannah than meets the eye, as our couple will discover in late summer. Living under the same roof as Paulina’s former foster sister has not created the most ideal romantic situation – especially when she plays her heavy metal records at full volume. But J&P ain’t seen nothing yet. Hannah shows a whole different side of her personality. And, believe us, it isn’t pretty.

Family Ties: Hannah and Jake don’t get along. What’s a sensible woman like Paulina to do? Jake is not the most trustworthy guy in the world – or even in Bay City. Her marriage was a sham, a failure. Hannah’s never done anything to hurt Paulina. She’s almost family, and she brings out the motherly nature in her foster sis. In short, the odds favour the kid. Now, Hannah may be shy, but she’s no fool. This surprisingly crafty teen will use the situation to her best advantage, wrapping Paulina around her finger to get what she wants. But, there’s one thing she’s forgetting: Jake is pretty crafty himself. How will he react as the tension mounts. Could his half brother, Kevin, figure into the situation?

Behind The Scene – Every sensational scene you see on screen has an exciting backstage story by Madeline Scheier

ONE HOT SUMMER NIGHT

ANOTHER WORLD Made The Most Of An Hour After Dark

On the hottest night of the year, anything can happen, warned ANOTHER WORLD Associate Producer Scott Collishaw – especially when you take four of ANOTHER WORLD’s core couples and put them in steamy, volatile situations. That was the premise behind AW’s first prime-time special which aired on June 23.

When NBC brass offered the soap the one-hour slot right before THE 19TH ANNUAL DAYTIME EMMY AWARDS, the producers immediately accepted. “We didn’t have a lot time to prepare the script,” Collishaw admitted, “but we wanted to stress what we do best, and that’s characters, relationships, family and drama.” AW hopes this self-contained episode will not only introduce new viewers to what their show is all about, but re-entice former viewers they’ve lost along the way. The special featured four couples – Jake and Paulina, Dean and Jenna, Cass and Frankie and Vicky and Ryan – doing what they do best. “Jake and Paulina go after happiness, Dean and Jenna represent young lovers and the tension that they’re going through, Cass and Frankie question their relationship and Cass’s past, and Vicky and Ryan wonder if their relationship will survive,” said Collishaw.

Did the soap’s cast and crew find filing a prime-time special any different from what they’re used to? Surprisingly, they discovered that the 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. slot has much stricter guidelines about language and states of undress. Producers and directors had to watch their p’s and q’s, especially when it came time to plan the specifics of Tom Eplin (Jake) and Judi Evan’s (Paulina) seduction scene, which happened to take place in the same stables to which Ryan took Frankie after he kidnapped her on the day of her wedding to Cass. “It’s funny; [nighttime’s] a lot more stringent than daytime,” commented Eplin. And Collishaw admitted, “There’s only so much that can be shown. It’s family hour, but we’ll go as far as we can go.”

AW certainly didn’t disappoint, Jake and Paulina’s rendezvous in an abandoned stable was passionate and sweaty, but it wasn’t all fun and games for the actors, who had to spend several hours literally rolling around in the hay. Finally, Eplin suggest to the prop department that they put down a sheet so his co-star could get some relief from the itchy hay. Evan’s allergies had her sneezing, but the actress was thoroughly professional throughout the taping. During the long rehearsal she commented, “I was in the Cory pool just before, and I think I might have caught a cold. Or I might be allergic to the chlorine.”

While Jake and Paulina hung out at the Corys’, relaxing in the pool and stable, Dean (Ricky Paull Goldin) and Jenna (Alla Korot) practiced moves for their sequence, which included a sexy rooftop dance. “We’re dancing on the rooftop, and if it’s no good they’ll just throw us off,” Goldin joked. Cass (Stephen Schnetzer) and Frankie (Alice Barrett) were up to their usual tricks – arguing. “Our segment is a recapitulation of Cass and Frankie’s relationship. Frankie has certain insecurities about Cass that keep popping up,” Barrett explained. Luckily for Schnetzer and Barrett, they finished taping by 4:00 p.m.

The special concluded with a montage of scenes of each couple, James Dunne’s “I Know This Is Love,” which was commissioned by ANOTHER WORLD, played in the background. In total, thirty actors were spotlighted during AW’s prime-time special. And even though it wasn’t easy to introduce all the characters and their stories to new viewers, those who had only a few lines took their roles in stride. Russell Todd, who plays Jamie, summed up his part: “I go into the Cory pool and say my line and leave,” he laughed.
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 18th, 2006, 4:00 pm #7

July 14, 1987 - Days Of Our Lives - Frankie & Jennifer

July 14, 1987 Vol. 12 No. 14 Articles included are the cover story "Billy Warlock Is A Man In Love" and One-on-One with Derya Ruggles and Michael T. Weiss (LOL - this is for Michael's fans - we have a lot on this board!)

Another articles in this issue include Teen Stories Get Serious - At one time, romance was the focus of teen stories on the soaps. Ready why social issues are now sharing the spotlight. Also The Results Are In - In a past issue, we asked our readers if they would like to see more social issues dealt with on the soaps and, if so, which ones. The overwhelming responses may surprise you. Also, Grave Busters! - Characters who should come back from the dead. Ironically from Days two of the characters listed have come back from the dead more than once - they were Marlena Evans and Stefano Dimera.

Cover Story – “Mad About Marcy”

Billy Warlock Is A Man In Love
by Karen Hinton

While celebrating his 26th birthday recently at Disneyland, Billy Warlock, who plays seventeen-year-old Frankie on DAYS OR OUR LIVES, got stuck in mid-air along with his wife, Marcy Walker, twenty-five, a star of SANTA BARBARA. After darting and dashing through the air on the space ride for three minutes, Billy and Marcy’s spaceship stopped dead.

“We were just locked in there,” says the 5’7”, 135-pound Warlock, who has shiny black hair and hazel eyes. They were stuck for fifteen minutes until the ride was fixed. “You do feel claustrophobic,” says Billy. “And I’m not claustrophobic.” But as soon as they were on the ground again, Billy, undaunted, went up to try it again.

What did daunt Billy – who, as the son of veteran stuntman Dick Warlock, learned to do stunts himself, like a 30-foot drop off a cliff on roller skates for an episode of MORK AND MINDY – was people on the ground asking him for his autograph. “I’m not used to it,” he says of his new notoriety. “I’m uncomfortable with it right now. He adds, “I’ve never been a recognizable person, where Marcy has always been recognizable and I was just – ‘who is that guy you’re with?’”

DAYS OF OUR LIVES is not a baptism-by-fire for Warlock. He appeared as Flip Phillips on HAPPY DAYS and in a small role on CAPITOL. A man with his humble beginnings was not ready for the attention that the DAYS audience pays to its stars. He grew up in Carson, California with a sister Rhonda, twenty-four, and brother Lance, eighteen. His parents divorced when he was two. Billy lived with his mom, who worked for McDonnell Douglas Aircraft, but his visits with his dad – “the typical couple of times in a month” – prompted Warlock to move in with him. “It’s not that you don’t want to go back to your other parent,” Billy explains. “It’s just I haven’t seen this one a much and I’m having a good time.”

He moved in full-time with his dad, who lived in the heart of “Valley Girl Land” – Van Nuys, California – when he was twelve and stayed there until he graduated from high school. He was a letterman on the swim team at Birmingham High, where he met his high school girlfriend Laurie when he was seventeen and she was sixteen. They were together for a year – “break up, get back together, the young-teen deal,” says Billy. They’ve remained friends, but he notes that he hasn’t seen her for a couple of years. “I haven’t seen anybody since I met Marcy,” he says. “That was it. Out with the old. In with the new.”

Billy’s new life includes being with Marcy as much as possible – taking camping trips when they can synchronize their schedules, going to Los Angeles Laker basketball games together in Billy’s charcoal gray Porsche 911 Carrera and just hanging out in their three-bedroom home in Studio City, which comes with a white picket fence, pool and spa. They plan to start a family eventually, but right now they’re content with Rebel, their ten-year-old Doberman.

“The bottom line is we’re very much in love,” beams Billy. “And being in love s the ultimate high.”

He has never met anyone quite like his wife. “Marcy is the most interesting, intelligent, stubborn, mule-headed, compassionate, giving woman I’ve ever known,” he remarks. “She’s by the far the most captivating person I’ve ever spent time with. . . . I’m just lucky to be married to her.”

Warlock and Walker are a mutual-admiration society. Marcy says, “I love him. He’s great, he really is. I can’t ever see myself with anybody else.”

Well aware that their image as a couple casts him as the nice guy and her as the tough lady, Billy is quick to point out the truth. “It’s the opposite,” he admits. Marcy “does wear the britches” in the family, but “I’m the hotheaded one. I lose my temper.” Like Frankie, he “gets angry over little things. I can’t explain myself sometimes like I wish I could do, then I get frustrated and raise my voice.”

Marcy relates that she handles Warlock’s temper “by getting a little bit quieter than I usually do.” And Billy seems to know when he’s going too far. Marcy’s very calm “unless I push her against the wall,” he says, “and she’s got nothing else to do but come out fighting. So I don’t like to push her to those limits too often.”

Their marriage was rocky at first. “Most marriages would have broken up with what we went through,” remembers Billy. “The couple faced both financial and emotional problems. Warlock, who describes his wife as a “workaholic,” had difficulty adjusting to her hectic schedule. “I had a lot more time on my hands than she did,” he remarks. “A lot of times I wanted to do things and she was busy all the time and I used to resent that.” Money worries also strained their relationship. “Marcy had an arbitration suit slapped against her from an old agent,” relates Warlock, “and I had a business manager that didn’t do little things she was supposed to do – like file my taxes.”

Of that period in their marriage, Marcy is philosophical. “We had people banging on our door from our pasts,” she remembers. “I think it was some kind of test we had to go through to see how we would handle things, if we would handle things together.” She smiles, “And we did, we really did. We prevailed.”

Sitting in his publicist’s office, Billy is dressed casually in white Guess jeans, a blue Hawaiian print shirt, white Reeboks and white socks. He sees himself as an eclectic dresser. “I mean I wear things a lot that don’t even go – like sweats with a dress shirt.” He smiles, “Marcy looks at me and says, “You’re not leaving the house like that.”

Marcy met Billie at a black-tie affair. Billy wore jeans. While leaning against a cement pillar, he surveyed the scene at the crowded party and saw Marcy walk in “wearing the same type of attire, so I thought I’d like to meet her.” A friend introduced them and Billy thought Marcy didn’t like him at all. Warlock admits that he felt “rejected, dejected.” He adds, “Plus I’d had a few drinks, which lowered my confidence and I started getting a little insecure.”

The next morning, Billy woke up feeling like “garbage.” He remembers, “I can’t believe that I blew it with this person. And now if I called her she probably would think I was the biggest idiot and wouldn’t want to talk to me. So I wrote if off.”

But meanwhile Marcy had called a mutual friend and asked for Billy’s number. The friend told Billy that Marcy wanted to go with him and Billy regained his confidence. He called her and asked her out for dinner. He took her to a little Italian restaurant in Los Angeles called Intermezzo. Then they went for a drive down to the beach where they took a walk and saw the grunions running (that’s fish spawning).

Their own mating didn’t formally take place until three months later at the Highland Inn in Carmel, California. For the wedding, they dressed causally, of course. Says Billy, “We were buddies before we were lovers and I think that’s what made our relationship strong. We’re very similar, very moody. A lot of times we don’t know how to deal with each other’s moods. We’ve only been married for” – he looks at his black diving watch – “a year and five months now. So we’re still trying to figure out, now this looks means this and that look means that. A lot of times we’re misunderstood.”

Among the many changes that marriage brought to Warlock’s life was a limit on where he wanted to work. When they got married, Billy had just finished a pilot for Disney and was waiting to see if it would get picked up. There were rumors that he might move to New York to look for work. Warlock insists his taking a job here in California had “everything to do with my own mental state and our relationship.” He states, “I don’t like sitting on the bench while my wife makes a living. I had to contribute. Money-wise, I needed a steady job, a steady paycheck. And I wanted to stay in town with my wife.”

A two-soap marriage has clearly been a plus for the Warlock-Walker marriage. His greatest challenge these days is professional: playing a teenager. “I have a very difficult time dealing with it,” he explains, “because I would not deal with problems the same way a seventeen-year-old would. I’ve got to keep a handle on being ten years older than my character.”

Although he’s “locked” up in a standard three-year contract on DAYS OF OUR LIVES, Billy has no complaints. He sighs, “You’re in prison, as they say. But I have a nice cushy cell.”

ONE-ON ONE – DAYS’s Derya Ruggles and Michael T. Weiss Discuss

“Innies,” “Outties” and the Meaning of Life

It was a simple assignment, or so we thought: Michael Weiss (Mike Horton), known for his wacky sense of humor, and Derya Ruggles, who recently left her role as Mike’s love interest, Robin Jacobs, were asked to interview each other. What follows is their hilarious, if dubious, account of how theyreally got to know one another.

“We want romance, lust, savage passion, with underpinnings of religious turmoil all covered with the veneer of level-headed surgeons,” shouted DAYS OF OUR LIVES Executive Producer Al Rabin from the booth. “And get it in one take, please, because the meter’s running!”

There we were on the set of DAYS OF OUR LIVES, ready to tape yet another love scene. Her hair was swept back, his chest hair neatly combed. We stared into the limpid pools of each other’s eyes – the only sound to be heard was the cameraman belching from his burrito lunch. A dog barked somewhere in the distance.

We were lying in the middle of the cold studio, barely clothed (except body makeup, body stocking, etc.) ready to commit an act of celluloid love. Then it hit us like a ton of soap opera scripts: there was so much, so very much that we did not know about each other. “What are his views on reincarnation?” “Does she income average?” “Does he have an ‘innie’ or an ‘outtie?’” “What does she think the meaning of life really is?” These were things we needed to know.

Much to the chagrin of the cast and crew, we decided we couldn’t consummate our undying soap opera love until we knew the inner depths of each other’s souls (and whether we squeezed our toothpaste tubes from the middle or neatly curled up the ends).

So we interviewed each other, with the curiosity of Hedda Hopper. Our paychecks were in the balance, but we risked all for love and gossip. Here is the result. Please be gentle with it.

Derya asks Michael:
Q.
Where do you see yourself in five years.
A. Since I’m really only twelve years old, I will, by the time I’m seventeen, be the President of the United States. (Well, maybe the Screen Actors Guild – I guess you have to start there first.)
OK, seriously – you know it’s no fun to be serious – I’d like to see myself advance spiritually because I feel the spiritual road gets more interesting the more it’s traveled. I hope to open myself up to many new energies and experiences. I wish to experience being a dad and all that goes with that kind of commitment. I’d be a great pop, but I still have a few wild years left in me. I’d also like to see my production company, Spontaneous Combustion Group, become very successful. I’d like to be able to play most of the J.T. (James Taylor) repertoire on my guitar. I’d also like to find a tofu sundae that tastes better than Haagen Dazs.

Q. If you had one statement to make about yourself that best described you and what you stand for, what would it be?
A. Oooh . . . ooh. . .this is a toughy . . . couldn’t you ask me how many tacky Hawaiian shirts I own? OK, OK serious . . . here goes. If you reach way down and get in touch with the inner light that tells you what you can become, and you believe hard enough, you will.

Q. What is your favourite non-mental pastime?
A. Aside from you know, (nudge, nudge), which, by the way, can be very mental, it would have to be lifting weights. It’s great after an emotionally draining day of the rat race to go to a place where you can get out of your brain and get in touch with your brute animal strength and grunt and cry and scream and get abdominal muscles all at the same time. Much better than drugs or alcohol or stamp collecting.

Q. What do want from a woman that you don’t want to have to ask for?
A. Neck rubs. When a woman gives me a neck rub without having to ask, I’ll marry her on the spot and father her children. . . . Dee, stop that!

Q. What man has had the greatest influence on your life?
A. Aside from Al Rabin, I know that it’s standard practice to say your father, but mine truly was an influential guy. I got his sense of humor, his enthusiasm for life and his lousy golf game (just kidding, Dad – fathers get very temperamental about their golf games). And we both share a great deal of respect and love for the same wonderful woman . . . my mom.

Michael’s turn:
Q.
What would you bring with you if you were stranded on a desert island?
A. With the hole in the ozone, sun screen! My lover, my compact disc and a charter membership to the Bohdi Trees (health store) mailing newsletter, a lifetime supply of postage and nothing else. I’ve already received a deep education on the subtleties of becoming the best possible primitive mate – I shall only tell it includes Taoism, alchemy and the primal scream.

Q. If it was the last day on earth and you had the choice of a tofu burger or a hot-fudge sundae, which would you choose?
A. A hot-fudge sundae, of course.

Q. If you hadn’t been fortunate enough to become an actress, what would you have become?
A. Al Rabin. OK, seriously (however, he’s so cute). . .something where I could experience creative fulfillment and help people in a non-structured way.

Q. Do you think Mike and Robin could transcend their religious differences and practice Taoist love?
A. Ooy, vay! That’s a tough one. Yes, and “zen” everything would be beautiful, my little bubula!

Q. Does my stubble drive you crazy?
Q. Only when it’s freshly mowed.

After we satisfied this insatiable thirst for knowledge (Derya has an “innie”), we clamoured on the set to finally consummate our love (another ten minutes and there’d have been talk of recasting). This legacy we leave to you, the Soap Opera Digest readers. (You have impeccable taste.)
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2006, 5:39 pm #8

December 27, 1988 - Days Of Our Lives - Shane & Kim

December 27, 1988 Vol. 13 No. 26 Articles included are the cover story - A Look At the Offscreen Relationships of Soap Couples & Soap Substitutes. I also included a scan of the full page picture of Shane & Kim included with the article.

Other articles in this issue include a story on Sean & Tiffany's GH Wedding, an interview with Stuart Damon talking about becoming an expert on diabetes when his son was diagnosed with the disease, a critique of AMC and The Year in Review.

Cover Story – YOU GO YOUR WAY, I’LL GO MINE

A Look at the Offscreen Friendships of Soap Couples
by Robert Rorke

Twelve hours in a windowless television studio is enough togetherness for anyone, to hear some daytime actors tell it. After all that scripted intimacy – close-ups, clinches and cuddling – when it’s time to go, they’re gone. Viewers might be surprised to learn that many actors who spend so much time together at work do not socialize off the set. But, as real as these actors can make their on-screen relationships seem to audiences, acting is just another job and when quitting time comes, there’s no place like home. Families, loved ones and sideline careers assume priority. For soap fans unable or unwilling to separate actors from the characters they play on TV, the news that Shane and Kimberly of DAYS OF OUR LIVES are not husband and wife off screen is always a bitter pill to swallow.

They’re not especially close friends outside the studio either, reports actor Charles Shaughnessy (Shane), who has played opposite Patsy Pease (Kimberly) for four years. “I don’t have any relationship with Patsy,” he says. What little socializing they have done happened in his early days on the show when he and Pease “went to a movie.” Professionally speaking, of course, Shaughnessy and his co-star “know each other very well” and are “very good friends.” But it seems to go no further than the time it takes to tape a scene. They don’t eat lunch together. They may belong to the same gym, but even their workout routines are different.

The actor is well aware of this: it comes as a blow to the people who revere Shane and Kim as the perfectly wed couple that they seem to have two completely different personalities. Although Pease will attend gatherings of her co-star’s fan club on occasion and vice versa, the outgoing Shaughnessy states that Patsy is “a very private person.” Which doesn’t bug him, but it sure confuses fans of the show when he does public appearances without his TV wife. “People are always asking me ‘Where’s Kimberly?’” says Charles. “They see me as Shane. People often confuse the crossover between fantasy and reality. Fantasy is cozy. It’s what they know. The illusion is so important to their lives that they’re uncomfortable with reality.”

The family structure vital to the success of the soap opera genre often leads viewers to feel they know a cast of characters as well as their own friends. But, as Charles Shaughnessy puts it, viewers may know the characters better than the cast knows each other. “We’re a bunch of people thrown together not through our own choosing,” he concedes. “Everybody has their own friends.” With dozens of distinct personalities, lifestyles and interests present in any soap cast, there is no reason to expect anyone to make a friendly connection.

Geography plays and important role in how anybody forms and maintains a friendship and Charles Shaughnessy says that while he might run into castmate Michael T. Weiss (Mike Horton) in his neighbourhood, he isn’t likely to see anybody else from the show. With Los Angeles sprawling out all around him and driving as the only way of getting anywhere, it’s understandable that a soap actor would not be a social butterfly after a long work day.

Distance also plays a significant role in how actors socialize with each other in New York, where seven of the twelve daytime soaps are taped. Actors returning to the city suburbs or crossing the Hudson River to New Jersey seem less likely to see each other than those who live in the city itself. Actress Victoria Wyndham (Rachel, ANOTHER WORLD) lives in Westchester, works in Brooklyn, has a two-hour commute, two children, another career as a manager of rock bands and doesn’t get to hang out with anyone from her show. “You just don’t have time on this schedule,” she says. But that doesn’t diminish her strong feelings for her co-star and television husband, Douglass Watson (Mac). “It’s wonderful to work with an actor you really admire,” she says. They have been working together for fifteen years and know each other so well that “we tend to finish each other’s sentence. He accuses me of reading his mind. Linda Dano [Felicia] calls us The Bickersons. We’re like two old shoes.”

Actress Kathleen Noone (Ellen, ALL MY CHILDREN) reports that socializing among cast members who live in town is quite common. “It’s not something you want to do all the time,” she says, “but if you get the chance to go to the theatre, or something, it’s lovely.” When she does go out, it’s usually with Lauren Holly, who plays her daughter Julie, James Mitchell (Palmer), Peter Bergman (Cliff) and Debbi Morgan (Angie). The cast celebrates birthdays, among other occasions. Noone also enjoys long-standing friendships with tow of the men Ellen Chandler has been married to – Robert Gentry (Ross) and Mark LaMura (Mark). “Robert Gentry and I have a very similar, sick sense of humor,” she says. “He’s a very, very funny man. He picks something from a situation, makes a comment and gets into trouble.” She also adds that rapport with an actor who plays your romantic partner is a definite plus during rehearsals and taping, allowing for more spontaneity and experimentation in the performance. “The camaraderie on the set is most important,” says Kathleen. “If you can have fun while you’re working, it’s the icing on the cake. If you’re having trouble in a scene, you’re not afraid to say things to each other.”

Like Charles Shaughnessy, Victoria Wyndham doesn’t think it’s necessary for two actors playing lovers to be friends for the relationship to come alive. “I don’t think it makes a difference as long as you’re working off each other on screen,” the actress believes. “It doesn’t serve to get overly familiar with each other. They you take things for granted. The only people who have to get to know each other are Mac and Rachel. Rachel and I, we just look alike.”

One actor who has never underestimated the rapport he shares with his co-star is Ian Buchanan, GENERAL HOSPITAL’s natty Duke Lavery. He was stuck in a story and a set he didn’t like and was relieved he could at least play it with Finola Huges, who plays his television wife, Anna. “There I was with all my hair cut off and no nice clothes to wear,” remembers the Scotsman. “I really felt like I’d been sent to the back and beyond. I was so pleased that I had someone I was close to to work with and not someone I hated.” Buchanan says that he and Hughes became instant friends at his screen test. They goofed around, talking, he says, “in funny English accents, like Monty Python. And we used to go out a lot dancing. She’s a very let’s-go-out-to-the-movies person. I’m not.” Still, they remain close, there’s no need to go out together,” Ian remarks. “It’s like working with your best friend. You can only take so much of your best friend.”

GENERAL HOSPITAL has been the catalyst for one of daytime’s most touching friendships. When Stuart Damon (Alan Quartermaine) moved his family from England to Los Angeles to start his eleven-year career with the show, it was his co-star Leslie Charleson (Monica) who helped him out. Every morning she picked him up at the Magic Motel on Franklin where the family was staying and drove him to work. On the weekends, Leslie would introduce Stuart and his wife, Deirdre, to new restaurants in town.

“The three of us were together for quite a while,” remembers Leslie. Damon laughs, “It used to by hysterical. I was out with my daytime and my nighttime wives at the same time. People believe what they see on TV so much that they thought Leslie was my wife and I’d have to say, ‘No, this is my wife.’” Leslie became friendly independently with Deirdre, but over time, as the Damons’ two children grew up and Leslie remained single, their lives veered in inevitably different directions. “When you’re on a show with someone for a long time, you go through phases,” says Stuart. “Together. Apart. It’s like being married without a piece of paper. We’ve been living next door to each other for eleven years. She’s a riot, the silliest woman God ever put a breath into. I’m a pragmatist. She relies on me for stability. It’s a relationship that has a tremendous amount of trust and freedom.”

“I look for Stuart’s approval and that’s out of respect,” says Charleson. Although they don’t see as much of each other as they did in the early days, Leslie insisted that he meet her fiancé, Bill Demms, whom she met this year at a high school reunion in Connecticut. Charleson has never been married. “Stuart has never really approved of the men I’ve gone out with,” she laughs. “So the intended had to pass muster with him. When I told him I was getting married, he said ‘No, no, no, wait a minute.’ I couldn’t tell if he objected or was just giving me inside information. But he gave me a thumbs up and said, ‘Good going.’ It’s a very special friendship. I’d be there for him in a flash.”

CASTING COUPS - CHANGES

“Sometimes recasting a favourite character is a necessary evil that becomes a blessing in disguise. Stepping into another star’s shoes isn’t easy, but the rewards are great for those who can make the roles their own."
By Mary Beth Sammons

Landing a leading role on a soap opera isn’t always so wonderful.

Not if you are a victim of the dreaded “replacing a popular star” syndrome. Soap fans hold a strong allegiance to their favorite performers. They exalt their very being and look forward to seeing them every day. But when these viewers tune in to discover their favorite hero or heroine is vamoose, and some newcomer, some “nobody” in their minds, is now in their cherished star’s place, they get real mad.

Many an actor or actress has suffered from this “filling in for the famous” curse. Look at all the Ninas that have traipsed through Cortlandt Manor. Or the seemingly infinite number of redheads who have tried to find their niche as the fiery Siobhan Ryan Novak Dubujak Novak. The soap landscape is littered with fill-in acts that just couldn’t quite cut it. Many have fallen completely on their faces.

But once in a while a substitute wins over the audience with a brilliant debut, crafting that difficult transition to perfection and capturing viewers’ hearts.

Jess Walton (Jill, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS) is at the top of that roster. Other not-so-recent but equally successful notables include Holly Gagnier (Cassie, ONE LIFE TO LIVE); Anne Heche (Vicky/Marley, ANOTHER WORLD); Hillary Bailey Smith (Margo, AS THE WORLD TURNS) and her castmate Scott Holmes (Tom Huges); Mary Beth Evans (Kayla, DAYS OF OUR LIVES) and her castmate Drake Hogestyn (Roman).

“It’s a million times harder than starting a role yourself,” says Y&R’s Walton. “You’re never sure if the audience is going to accept you, even though people do take over for stars all the time. But when you’re walking into such an established key role, you’ve got a tremendous amount of pressure.”

Hillary Bailey Smith, who in 1983 replaced the now popular primetime and film actress Margaret Colin as Margo on ATWT, agrees. “It’s really tough. The first thing you think is, ‘Hey wait a minute, she was really great. They loved her. How am I going to pull this off?’ The first letter I received said, ‘Dear Bow Wow: Do you prefer Kibbles and Bits or some other kind of dog food?’ I mean, people did not want Margaret to leave.”

The pressures come from a number of directions and not just from the fans who have invested their loyalty in a particular actor or actress.

Mary Beth Evans may have been welcomed with open arms when she replaced Catherine Mary Stewart as Kayla on DAYS in 1984, but she vividly recalls a not-so-warm reception during her stint on the now-defunct soap RITUALS. “They’d just fired the actress I was replacing [Claire Yarlett] and the cast was allied with her. So for the first couple of days, everybody sneered at me like I’d just slept with their husbands. It was awful,” remembers Evans.

Jess Walton faced the tough task of filling in for Brenda Dickson, who, although popular with soap fans, had been fired from the show. “I thought I was doing great the first day when Lauralee Bell [who plays Cricket and is the daughter of show’s executive producer and creator, Bill Bell] came up to me and said, ‘You’re already Jill to me,’” remembers Walton.

But following in the shadow of daytime’s famous can be a heavy load to bear. Just ask AW’s Anne Heche (Vicky/Marley). “Luckily, I hadn’t watched the show before, so when I got the part, I really didn’t know what I was getting into,” Heche explains. “I arrived at work the first day like, ‘Hey, this isn’t going to be too hard,’ and the producer took me aside and told me I was replacing someone who won an Emmy for the role.” The producer was talking about Ellen Wheeler, now Cindy on ALL MY CHILDREN and an Emmy-winner for her role that show, too. “I was really scared and jolted,” Heche remembers.

Most of the performers who have successfully taken over an existing role acknowledge that it is a Herculean task to try to step into the shoes of an extremely popular soap personality. But they say they try to ignore the high expectations thrust upon them, instead carving their own claim to fame. Some, like Drake Hogestyn, who replaced Wayne Northrop as DAYS’s Roman Brady, prefer not to discuss it at all. Others are more open about how they met the challenge.

“Here [at DAYS], the producer and some of the cast members like Josh Taylor [ex-Chris] and Steve [Nichols, who plays Patch] were just great, taking me aside before scenes and filling me in on the history of the character,” says Evans. “But once in a while someone would try to correct me and say, ‘She [the former actress] would have done it this way.’ I’d just ignore them and think, ‘Tough, I’m doing it my way.’”

Many of the actors have gone to the extreme of not viewing the person they are replacing. For example, SB’s Kimberly McArthur deliberately avoided watching her predecessor, Robin Wright, as Kelly. “If I’d watched Robin, I’d be Robin Wright on the screen and not Kelly,” says McArthur. “I think it’s a trap for an actor to watch the other actor, because the special quality you bring to the role is yourself.”

OLTL’s Holly Gagnier strongly agrees. She ignored producer Paul Rauch’s suggestion to view tapes of actresses Ava Haddad and Cusi Cram in the role of Cassie. “I wanted to bring me to Cassie and if I’d watched anyone else doing it, that just wouldn’t have been possible. In fact, I know Ava and know we are different, and I think I’ve really taken Cassie in a different direction.”

The expectations of following a big-time star are perhaps one of the toughest things to deal with, but most of those who are successful said the transition usually is made easier when they receive support from fellow cast members.

“I had one week to get my whole life together and move from LA to New York and it was real scary,” remembers Gagnier. “But everyone was so friendly and made me feel so welcome, like I’d always been on the show. The first day, Robin [Strasser, ex-Dorian] and some of the other cast members took me aside and said, “We know how difficult it is for you to be in this circumstance, coming in to play Cassie. But don’t worry, we’re all behind you.”

ATWT’s Scott Holmes, who says he’s the thirteenth actor to play Tom Hughes – the impressive lineup of stars included Gregg Marx and Justin Deas – is convinced the show’s head honchos are responsible for spotting successful substitutions. “They know you’re going to work when they see you. You’ve got to have that aura of feeling good about yourself and being positive that no matter how successful your predecessors were, you can take over.”

Physical similarities often play a strong role in casting a substitute, but the actors agree that it is up to them to win over the audience with their individual personalities and style.

“There’s no question that Margaret and I are very similar in looks and mannerisms,” says ATWT’s Hillary Bailey Smith. “Actually, it’s kind of funny, because I came from prime time, and when she went out to LA, these casting directors were always telling her, ‘You know, you remind me of someone.’ Evidently, she hears that all the time. We’d never met, but have a lot of mutual friends. Once, when she was in New York doing the CBS MORNING SHOW, I went down to the studio. She came out and started screaming. ‘It’s you, you. Oh no.’ It was hysterical.” Turning philosophical, Smith adds, “But, looks aside, you get the part for a reason. There’s got to be some essence about you that makes you different, special,” says Smith.

Y&R’s Walton cringes recalling how “they poufed my hair up those first few months. I had trouble making it through the doorway. I think they wanted to make me bigger than life, to make me reflect Brenda’s style in the beginning to ease the transition. But now it’s most definitely me in the part.”

SB’s McArthur agrees. Although she and predecessor, Robin Wright, are strikingly similar in looks and mannerisms, she attributes any resemblance to their common Texas upbringing. In fact, when McArthur arrived at the studio gate to audition, the security guard waved her right through. “He thought I was Robin,” she laughs. But she adds, “Sure, I think it eases the transition a little if you look like the person. I mean Kelly is an established California-blonde role and a curly-headed brunette probably wouldn’t cut it. It was a funny thing. At the screen test, I walked in and there were eight beautiful girls with long blond hair who looked like clones. But everyone had a uniqueness about them. And that is what it all comes down to. You’ve got to have some special quality.”
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 1st, 2006, 5:47 pm #9

April 14, 1992 - Days Of Our Lives - Day's Sexiest Men!

April 14, 1992 Vol. 17 No. 8

Articles included are the cover article about a contest - win a trip to visit the set of DOOL and have lunch with one of the stars and Still Ticking - Some of daytime's most experienced stars reveal how and why they've remained on top for so long.

Other articles in this issue include:
Then And Now Time marches on, but we haven't forgotten how daytime's most popular characters have - and have not - changed.

Break Up/Makeup Artists Daytime actors reveal how their real-life courtships mirror soap romances.

The Accidental Tourists When soap actors hit the road for personal appearances, anything can happen.

All Talk, No Action Voice-over work has become a lucrative and competitive sideline for actors - but just try to get them to talk about it.

Knots Landing Critique KNOTS may have lost its must-see status, but new blood and fresh stories could restore its glory.

Cover Story – WIN A TRIP TO DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Rate Salem’s sexy men… and you could spend a day behind the scenes at DAYS

Ever wonder how Matthew Ashford (Jack) and Melissa Reeves (Jenn) warm up for those loving on-screen squabbles? If Robert Mailhouse really keeps the cast in stitches when he’s rehearsing his role as frazzled Brian Scofield? If it’s backstage bedlam when three actresses all have to make quick costume changes at once? Well, this could be your chance to find out. If you’re the grand-prize winner of our DAYS OF OUR LIVES Dream Vacation Sweepstakes, you’ll spend a day on the set, rubbing elbows with the Hortons, Bradys and many more of your favorite Salem characters.

Note: To win contestants had to rate the men of Days. The categories were Most Charming, Best Smile, Best Sense Of Humor, Most Dependable, Best Kisser, Best Dresser and Most Sensitive.

Salem’s Sexy Men

From curly haired cut-up Brian Scofield to dapper, dependable Shane Donovan, there’s definitely no shortage of sexy men on DAYS OF OUR LIVES. And we’re not just talking about looks here. These guys possess inner qualities that really count when it comes to making a woman’s heart beat faster: They radiate warmth, humor, intelligence, courage and kindness. True, now and then a bad apple like Victor Kiriakis or Lawrence Alamain slips into the bunch, but even these renegades have been know to turn into sentimental softies on occasion (though they’d rather eat nails than admit it).

Who’s the most happy-go-lucky guy in Salem? Which DAYS OF OUR LIVES hero would you feel most comfortable telling your troubles to? Who’s got the edge on charm or sensitivity? To help you make your choices, we asked DAYS OF OUR LIVES’s leading men (or, in some cases, the women who know them well) this intriguing question: “What do you think women find sexy about you?” Here’s what they said:

Robert Kelker-Kelly (Bo): “I don’t know what women find sexy about me. My wife finds my forearms very sexy.”

Robert Mailhouse (Brian): “If I knew the answer to that question, I’d be a happier man.”

Richard Biggs (Marcus): “Women would probably say the sexiest thing about me is the way I make them laugh.” Biggs’s co-star Felecia Bell (Glynnis) adds: “I don’t think Richard sees himself as sexy. But I think it’s that innocence that actually makes him very sexy.”

Matthew Ashford (Jack): “I have no idea, and if I did, I would probably overdo it and therefore screw it up, so it’s probably just as well.”

John Clarke (Mickey): “I’m not sure anymore whether I’m Mickey or Mickey is me, so I’ll have to answer for the both of us. Total honesty in our collective imperfections, which means what you see is what you get.”

Drake Hogestyn (John): “Do you have to ask?” quips Drake’s leading lady, Staci Greason (Isabella).

Charles Shaughnessy (Shane): “I’m too sexy for this question . . . too sexy for this question.”

James Reynolds (Abe): According to Reynold’s wife, Lisa, “I think he’s sexy because he listens. He really listens and cares. And he’s got a great body, too.”

John Aniston (Victor): “What makes one person attracted to another person? You see people in the street every day who wouldn’t appeal to you at all, yet somebody loves them dearly. You don’t analyze thinks that; you just accept them with gratitude.”

Macdonald Carey (Tom): “If I were to answer that question, I wouldn’t be attractive after that.”

Wayne Northrop (Roman): “What makes Wayne sexy is the fact that he doesn’t know he’s sexy,” reveals Lynn Herring (Lisanne), who’s married to the man in real life.

Frank Parker (Shawn): “I don’t think of myself as sexy. My wife does, but I don’t.”

Michael Sabatino (Lawrence): Although Louise Sorel (Vivian) just began working with Sabatino, it didn’t take her long to spot the secret of his sex appeal. “Michael is a very real person,” she says. “He’s comfortable with himself, and he’s got a great sense of humor.”

Michael Easton (Tanner): “What do women find sexy about me? . . . Do they?”

Jay Pickett (Chip): “I tell them I know Michael Easton.”

WHERE DID THE TIME GO? LOOKING BACK

Tried-And-True Soap Vets Reflect On Their Careers And Perks, And On The Egos Of Newcomers
By Carol Bialkowski

They’ve been stalked, blackmailed, shot at and paralyzed. They’ve lost husbands, wives and children, and had amnesia, split personalities, out-of-body experiences, out-of-wedlock kids and countess affairs. And collectively they have been married more times than Elizabeth Taylor. They’re daytime veterans – the pillars of places like Llanview, Springfield, Bay City and Port Charles, who have been making regular appearances in living rooms nationwide since the 1970s.

How do daytime’s long-timers feel about attaining veteran’s status? “It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick,” jokes Erika Slezak (Viki), a twenty-one-year veteran of ONE LIFE TO LIVE. “You’ve got to come up with a better term for it,” implores Victoria Wyndham (Rachel), who celebrates her twentieth anniversary on ANOTHER WORLD this year. “Two terms I can’t stand are ‘veteran’ and ‘matriarch.’ They make you sound so ancient. I keep expecting to look in the mirror and see this doddering person.”

Although they’ve turned into permanent daytime fixtures, most veterans never intended to stick around for more than a few years. When Jerry verDorn (Ross) joined GUIDING LIGHT in 1979, he only planned to stay for eighteen months. “Something obviously went dreadfully wrong,” he recalls. “At the end of the eighteen months, they liked me and I liked my story. So I signed on for another two years, and at the end of that contract, I [became] a [real-life] daddy. My wife and I were quite willing to be poor and eat macaroni and cheese every night, but it’s different when children come along. It’s much easier to raise them you have an income.”

When Jeanne Cooper created the role of Katherine on THE YOUNG AND RESTLESS in 1973, she, too, intended to make her stay short. However, the colourful character got into Cooper’s blood over the course of the three-year contract. “I grew fond of Katherine and very protective of her. She was a character I breathed life into and a character I didn’t want anyone else to [permanently] play,” she maintains. And, in nineteen years, no one else has.

Unlike verDorn and Cooper, Stuart Damon (Alan) didn’t place a cap on his soap career when he joined the cast of GENERAL HOSPITAL nearly fifteen years ago. His main concern was staying employed long enough to pay the following month’s rent. “I had a wife and two children, and we were living in a show business motel. Leslie Charleson [Monica} used to come and pick me up, because we only had one car. My wife worked because we were so far in hock,” he recalls.

Three or four years later, however, Damon’s mind began to wander toward greener pastures. “But my wife kept saying, ‘You’re not leaving. I’ve been poor long enough,’” he jokes. “I wasn’t so young that I was really itching badly, and I didn’t have anything else left to prove.”

At some point in their careers, most veterans have seriously considered leaving the soap circuit. Cooper wrestled with that decision just last year, when her character began spending too much time on the back burner. “I talked to the powers that be, and they decided to bring her back out into a more active role. If she becomes inactive and my brain is not being challenged, then it’s time for me to move on,” she insists.

Slezak says she’ll stay on OLTL as long as the soap will have her – on her terms. “As long as they pay what I ask and treat me as I have been treated in the past, and as long as our relationship remains friendly and pleasant, I will stay because it’s still fun. But the day that it turns out not to be fun – when it gets to be more aggravating than fun, when it makes me seriously unhappy – that’s when I’ll leave,” she says.

Since he joined OLTL in 1979, Robert S. Woods (Bo) hasn’t merely thought about leaving the soap – he’s done it. He left OLTL in 1986, and returned in 1988. “Within those two years I worked on some pilots and did a play. It seemed like I went through more savings than anything else,” he recalls. “When I came back to OLTL, my intention was to stay for as long as possible.”

The fact that soaps’ long-standing characters have evolved over the years is something that has also made it easier for veterans to remain in roles for decades. “A lot of people get bored because they find themselves doing the same thing all the time. But my character is such that I have yet to repeat myself,” says verDorn. “I came on as a horrible villain and then I became almost Ozzie Nelson and now I’m sort of in the middle. So in that regard, I’ve been lucky.”

Most actors simply pass through daytime’s revolving door, so it’s logical to assume that cornerstone actors like Damon have amassed a fair share of perks over the years. But you know what they say about assumptions. “I’ve never thought about it,” Damon insists. “They give me a nice dressing room. I’ve got all my pictures on a wall. I’ve got my desk. I’m comfy. I mean, they’re paying me to do a job. I’m not here for nothing.”

Wyndham also shoots down that well-circulated rumor. “When you have a long-running show and a company that changes often, the perception is that the long-term people have a lot of clout. And maybe they do on other shows. But that belongs in the class system, and I’m an American. I don’t put much stock in the class system,” she says, noting that her dressing room is as “grungy” as everyone else’s.

Slezak’s only major perks are being first up in the morning so that she can be home in time to have dinner with her family, and taking eight weeks of vacation a year in two-month-long blocks. “Other than that, I’m not very aware of my clout in the way they treat me. But I hear it from other people. Whenever the other actors want anything done, they come to me. ‘Erika, would you go and talk to Linda [Gottlieb, OLTL’s executive producer]? Would you go and do this or that? I say, ‘Hey guys, you’ve got mouths.’ And they say, ‘But if you ask, they’ll do it.’ So I realise that just from having been here so long, they’ll at least think about it if I ask for something because I don’t ask for silly, frivolous things. I don’t use my favors in dumb ways.”

Having spent nearly half of her life working in daytime, Slezak has very little tolerance for arrogant young actors who look down upon the medium. “Some of them come in with such big mouths. They truly think they are God’s gift to actors, to daytime television and to theatre in general. And they don’t know anything. They can’t walk from here to there without making a mistake. So you just sit back and watch them hang themselves. And they’re the ones who say, ‘I’m getting out of this soap opera stuff.’ And you just say, ‘Bye. If you’re too good for it, God bless you. Go.’

“As ‘famous’ as they are when they’re working on the show, the second they’re off, that’s how unfamous they are. And they’re very surprised at that. They leave here saying, ‘I’m too good for soaps. I’m going to be a star.’ And they go to Hollywood and never get heard from again.”

Castmate Woods echoes Slezak’s sentiments: “I’ve heard young actors say this over and over: ‘I don’t want to do this crap. I’m a serious actor. I want to do theatre. I want to do a film. I want to do projects that really mean something.’ Sure. Who wouldn’t love to do JFK? I didn’t get any calls on that, and I’m established as being a professional actor. Those choice roles aren’t easy to come by. Hell, I’d like do everything Harrison Ford has done.”

At Y&R, Cooper usually gives headstrong newcomers a grace period of six months before doling out some “veteranly” advice. “[Young actors] who come on and receive three fan letters feel that first flush of success,” she says. “So you have to wait that term out. Then, if you like them well enough and they’ve proved there’s something there besides that flush of success, you have to pull them aside and say, ‘Get over it. Let’s get down to work.’”

VerDorn, on the other hand, has found that most young actors are a pleasure to work with when they first join the show because “they have huge storylines. But after those stories are done and they do something in supporting roles, that’s when you find out whether they’re self-absorbed or willing to work with a group. Some of them pout when they don’t have a huge story. And I’m like, ‘Get used to it. There are eight thousand people out there who would like your job.’ But we’ve been fortunate because we haven’t had too many snots.”

How exactly veterans deal with “snots” in the cast? For starters, they don’t spend much time socializing with them. Some veterans, in fact, don’t socialize much with anyone on the set. “When I was new on the show, we would all go out and have dinner together. And you’d get involved in all these silly, petty arguments and team up against this one or against that one,” Slezak recalls. “Well, about eight or ten years ago I said, “You know something? I think I’ll just stay in my dressing room.’ I don’t get involved and I have a very friendly relationship with everybody.”

Wyndham is also a dressing room retreater. “When you’ve got a family and you’ve got your own corporation and you’ve got a career to run and you’re a mother, you’ve got a lot to do. So you tend to use every spare minute doing it. There are some days that I’m too tired to spend all my spare moments working in my dressing room, and then you can find me chewing the fat,” she says. “A lot of young kids on our show probably think I’m aloof. But they won’t [see it that way] once they have families and want to pursue their careers in a more major way.”

Becoming a daytime veteran, or whatever alternative word(s) these actors might choose, seems to primarily be a function of coming to peace with the work veterans do. Michael Zaslow has finally reached that peace. Although his 1971 starting date on GL makes him one of the longest-running veterans, his twenty-one year relationship with the show was interrupted several times. He was lured back once in 1974, and again in 1979. “That time, I said, ‘Only if you promise to kill me off so that I won’t be tempted to do this again.’ I wanted to try other things, but the money was always so tempting,” he explains.

Roger Thorpe’s “fatal” fall from a cliff took place in early 1980, but, fortunately for Zaslow, the show still wanted him back tend years from the date Roger was “killed” – April Fool’s Day, 1990. “Part of the reason I came back to the show was that I needed a knee operation, and I was going to be unemployable for a few months anyway. And then I found that I really enjoyed it,” says Zaslow, who’s in no hurry to leave this time around. “I feel lucky. There are a lot of talented people out there having a tough time paying the bills. So I’m happy to be in demand, appreciated and working.”
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2006, 3:45 pm #10

April 9, 2002 - Days Of Our Lives - Wedding Shocker! Sami & Austin

April 9, 2002 Vol. 27 No. 15

Articles included are the cover story - Snake Eyes and Editor's Choice - Teen Angles - Days Of Our Lives.

Other articles/features in this issue were an interview with Y&R's Eva Longoria, a feature on the multiple identities of ONE LIFE TO LIVE's Viki and GUIDING LIGHT's Beth - an expert opinion. The Take Five was with Days Melissa Reeves.

Cover Story – Snake Eyes

Sami Comes Up Empty When Austin Dumps Her On Her Wedding Day In Las Vegas
by Stephanie Sloane

Seven years ago, determined teen Sami set her eyes on Austin Reed – despite the fact that Austin was involved with her sister, Carrie. After years of plotting and manipulation, Sami finally got her man. But last week, as she prepared for her walk down the aisle, her nemesis Lucas (also the father of her son, Will) showed up and a confrontation ensued. Sami couldn’t help herself: She admitted to lying about Lucas hitting Will. Uh-oh – unbeknownst to the bride-to-be, Austin was right outside and heard her confession. (And Lucas secretly taped the whole thing.) “We have had about nine months of extensive planning with this story,” says Executive Producer Ken Corday. “It’s Murphy’s Law – everything that can will go wrong. Or, in the case of our viewers, some will think it’s great. Sami is finally getting her justice.”

“When Austin walks in, she is shocked,” previews Alison Sweeney (Sami). “Instead of trying to explain why she lied,” she says, ‘What did I say? What have you heard?’ but she’s thinking, ‘What do I do know?’” A triumphant Lucas exits, leaving Austin and Sami to hash it out. Little does Sami know, Austin is also aware of the fact that she blackmailed Victor to move them to Hawaii.

“With Austin, it’s such a mixture of emotions,” says his portrayer, Austin Peck. “Everything he has believed in and told himself is not true. His initial reaction is, ‘I’m such an idiot.’ I think, to be honest, there’s an overwhelming relief that there is some finality, but t the same time, a tremendous amount of rage.”

Sami’s first instinct? Well, it’s not to tell the truth. “Her immediate reaction is to backpedal,” says Sweeney. “She has to own up to what he heard, but at the same time, she tries to justify it. We have to remember that Lucas really was a drunk and nobody believed her. It was killing her because nobody trusted her enough to believe that Lucas could potentially be a threat to Will, so she lied because she needed help getting Lucas away from her son. If this was a Lifetime movie of the week, she’d be the heroine. She really feels that way – she does what she needs to do to protect her little boy.”

Unfortunately, Austin doesn’t agree. “Austin thinks that’s stupid logic,” laughs Sweeney. To see if her lying was a one-time thing (yeah, right), Austin sets up a series of tests for his fiancée. “He asks her why Victor is letting them got Hawaii and she says, ‘I don’t know – he’s your boss.’ So, she fails another test,” says Sweeney. “He asks her what she used as leverage and she lies and doesn’t tell him about Philip, so she keeps failing.” Desperate, Sami tries one more trick. “She tells him she’s pregnant,” reveals the actress. “And he says, ‘Let’s go get a pregnancy test at the pharmacist,’ so she admits that it isn’t true.”

That’s the last straw for Austin. “The only course for Sami to take for her to get out of it would be for her to completely confess and say, ‘Yes, I did this. I did that and I messed with you, Austin, but I love you,’” notes Peck. “But she continues to lie and it confirms it more and more. He feels lucky to be out of it.”

Which isn’t lost on Sami. “He says, ‘Thank you for lying to me, because that’s what saved me. I could have forgiven you with the right words. Now I know what you’re really like,’” says Sweeney. “Sami is kicked in the teeth. But Sami is Sami – the definition of the ‘right words’ are not necessarily the truth. She thinks, ‘Darn, what lie could I have told that would have gotten me out of it?’ For Austin, it’s about being honest with him, and I don’t think she once saw that as an option. What she does say is, ‘I’d lie again to keep you in this room. I know you think I’m cruel, but I’d do anything to get what I want.’ She sees Austin as the love of her life; how would she not do anything she could to hold on to him?”

Unfortunately for Sami, there’s nothing left in her bag of tricks. Austin announces it’s over – he’s leaving her. “He storms out and says, ‘Don’t follow me. Don’t make a scene,’ because he’s going to go to the chapel and tell everyone why they’re not getting married. Sami is in utter despair, then she realizes what he’s about to do and it hits her that she can’t let him do this. That’s the survivor instinct in Sami – she has to save herself.”

Sami makes her way into the chapel and tells her version of the story. In the end, Austin walks out anyway. “He thought his whole world was falling apart, then he gets this job offer from Permalash and these doors open for him and he can get out of this town,” smiles Peck. “For him, it’s all negative, then he turns it into a positive.”

So Long, Farewell

Austin Peck says goodbye to Salem this week after seven years in Salem. Why? “The character had come to the end of his rope with her and he needed a break,” explains Executive Producer Ken Corday. “The character needed to be off-screen for a while to mend his psyche, his emotions. He chooses to go elsewhere, away from Salem, for good reasons. It’s not to say the character won’t return soon. ‘Soon’ meaning maybe this year.”

Alison Sweeney admits that it was sad to see her co-star leave. “You don’t realize until someone leaves how much a part of your life they have been,” she says. “I think I got a real dose of that when Bryan [R. Dattilo, Lucas] left last year, and now with Austin leaving, it’s sad. I’ve seen him every day for the last seven years. It’s hard to think of going to work without him being there.”

For Peck, the immediate future will be about getting a job and awaiting the birth of his first child in July. “It’s hard to wrap my mind around it,” he smiles. “I can’t wait to meet this kid. Boy, girl – I can’t wait!”

Editor’s Choice

Digest Salutes The Best In Daytime

Teen Angles, DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Six months ago, DAYS was at the epicentre of a teen backlash, with fans complaining that the show was more like SAVED BY THE BELL than the Salem they knew. But the recent breakup of Shawn and Belle surely quieted the naysayers, as the scenes captured the agony and repercussions of giving your heart to your first love.

The buildup was well-time: Ever since the teens returned from the island in October, Shawn had been too close for comfort to Jan, who had been raped by evil Paul and wound up pregnant. Overcome by the fact that Jan was considering an abortion, Shawn convinced her to keep the baby and promised to take responsibility for it. Sweet and trusting Belle sensed something was up, but knew her upstanding boyfriend well enough to ascertain that hew was helping out someone in trouble. Heedless of the warnings from her family that she was getting in too deep for a 17-year-old, Belle defended Shawn, who had tenderly professed his love three months earlier and had never given her any reason to doubt him.

Belle’s world came crashing down when, at the high school, Shawn lied that he had slept with Jan, and she was pregnant with his child. Tears immediately filled Belle’s eyes: Even though she’d known something wasn’t right in their relationship, this news was like a sucker punch. Kirsten Storms, (Belle), who heretofore had been the adorably perfect teen optimist, turned in a powerhouse performance, as her emotions ran from shock to hurt to disbelief. “This can’t be happening,” she kept repeating, as she tried to comprehend the magnitude of Shawn’s betrayal. “The Shawn Brady that I know would never sleep with a girl for the sake of having sex and not use protection and create a baby. That does not make sense … I thought I knew you, but I don’t.” Her pain came in waves as she realized that Shawn had chosen Jan over her time and again.

Jason Cook’s Shawn was appropriately silent, but weepy; it was breaking his heart to lie to Belle. “Talk to me. I need to know what you’re thinking,” he said quietly and reached out to embrace Belle. “Don’t touch me, okay?” she spat, arms folded, tears brimming. “Please tell me that you’re lying to me, please,” she pleaded, but Shawn stuck by the pledge he’d made to Jan.

Unlike many teen scenes on soaps, where the dialogue reads like it was written by people who went to the prom in the ‘70s, the exchanges felt achingly real. With the exception of some high family drama, Belle’s life has been relatively uncomplicated until now. Unlike Chloe, Belle is unguarded – nothing has happened to make her put walls up; she loved Shawn openly, without reservation. So, when she said, “You are Shawn Brady, and I am Belle Black, and we are supposed to be this perfect couple that will be together forever. Forever,” it didn’t sound pat or trite. She really believed it. What’s sadder is that Shawn did, too, but his sense of honor where Jan is concerned took precedence over his loyalty to Belle.

It took two long years to get Belle and Shawn together and only took two heartbreaking episodes to tear them apart. Hopefully, their inevitable reunion will fall somewhere in between.

From NBC Gossip
Teen Angle: Kirsten Storms (Belle) reports that she got instant feedback during the scenes she filmed with Jason Cook (Shawn) about Jan. “All the extras at the high school who watch the show were like, ‘Why hasn’t he told you? That is so wrong!’” she laughs. “It is [such] a typical, soap-opera heroic act – the man helping the woman in need. But they are teenagers! This is young love. What teenage guy would give up the love of his life for a girl he had no contact with before now?” Sighs Storms, “I think Jan is in love with Shawn. At first, I felt bad for Jan, but now, she’s turning back to what she used to be and is using this as a way to keep Shawn with her. It makes me mad, and it makes me feel bad for Belle! I hope the teens who were so excited when Belle and Shawn finally got together will stick with them through this. It will be worth it.”
Last edited by Mrs.B. on April 6th, 2007, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.