Marlena Malas technique question

Marlena Malas technique question

October 28th, 2005, 5:43 pm #1

I was wondering: Is Marlena Malas in the "pull your lower abdomnen in to sing" school or the "let every thing stay gently expanding out" school of technique?
Last edited by Squillo on October 28th, 2005, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 31st, 2005, 6:37 am #2

...your breathing, Marlena is just about the last teacher you should go to.

Seriously.

October 31st, 2005, 6:40 pm #3

Can you elaborate?

October 31st, 2005, 7:10 pm #4

I was wondering: Is Marlena Malas in the "pull your lower abdomnen in to sing" school or the "let every thing stay gently expanding out" school of technique?
nt

October 31st, 2005, 7:15 pm #5

'Cause Deb Birnbaum is the goddess of breathing. IMVHO.

October 31st, 2005, 11:29 pm #6

Can you elaborate?
There's really nothing to elaborate on. If you need me to pick one of your options, it's B, the "let everything gently expand out".

Other than getting you to bend forward and "hang over" so you can feel your rib cage expand when taking your breath, she has almost nothing to say about breath.

Teaching breath is not exactly Marlena's strong suit.

October 31st, 2005, 11:35 pm #7

VIVA ITALIA!

October 31st, 2005, 11:45 pm #8

I LOVE Deb Birnbaum.....

November 1st, 2005, 12:09 pm #9

I don't need a teacher to teach me breath. It's just that I'm planning to go to a school where Marlena is the best they have to offer and I just want to make sure that she won't try to make me working with my breath support in an opposite way. I've been taught to gently expand out and that works for me, but this summer I was at a prestigous program where they were really pushing the "pull in your abdomen thing" and it was really frustrating.

November 1st, 2005, 12:14 pm #10

There's really nothing to elaborate on. If you need me to pick one of your options, it's B, the "let everything gently expand out".

Other than getting you to bend forward and "hang over" so you can feel your rib cage expand when taking your breath, she has almost nothing to say about breath.

Teaching breath is not exactly Marlena's strong suit.
Thank you. I really don't need to be with a teacher who teaches breath. I have a wonderful teacher who has already taught me how to use breath and support.

It's just that I might end up attending a school she teaches at and wanted to be sure that if I end up studying with her, she won't be trying to teach the "pull in your lower abs" thing. That has been really detrimental to my singing in the past, so I really try to avoid teachers from that school of technique.