WWYD?? Estrace or Ethinyl

WWYD?? Estrace or Ethinyl

Dana
Dana

February 8th, 2012, 8:58 pm #1

So ladies, as I said in the roll call, I'd be hitting you ladies up for a question...or two.

Cooper has prescribed provera AGAIN, to bring on AF. Today is my 2nd day taking it. My FSH didn't lower like they want and the cycle went really long. I had some spotting that I thought was AF because my lining was thin but, they feel we should just start over. Now, the ethinyl I feel is supressing me. At all my u/s, I haven't had any follies...NONE. And to be honest, it scares the crap outta me. Now, they want me to take ethinyl 1 x a day plus provera...What would be the difference in taking ethinyl or estrace with provera? I feel if ethinyl is suppressing me, why can't I take estrace kinda like an EPP type thing? I should also mention that my E2 has been really low and I've noticed little itty bitty hot flashes. Actually not sure if it's the wood stove or low E2. LOL. I would like to get a good fresh start and maybe do what Laura did with the E2 to ovulate. Not sure but, I don't want to do injectibles for now. I need to give my body a break for a couple months before going ahead with an IVF try. Maybe try naturally for a couple months and continue with my supplements...Suggestions? I'm not sure what I want to do or what's best.

I appreciate any advice or words of wisdom you can give me.

Thanks for reading.

Dana
XoXo

February 8th, 2012, 9:17 pm #2

they are both suppressive. I think in general, taking extra estrogen does suppress. I think they are having you take estinyl so your FSH will be low for the start of next cycle. If you take estrace, your E2 may be higher at the start of the cycle and that might delay your cycle start (but I doubt one pill would make it that high). Was your FSH very high? I am wondering if you should just take provera alone?

Dana
Dana

February 8th, 2012, 11:20 pm #3

So ladies, as I said in the roll call, I'd be hitting you ladies up for a question...or two.

Cooper has prescribed provera AGAIN, to bring on AF. Today is my 2nd day taking it. My FSH didn't lower like they want and the cycle went really long. I had some spotting that I thought was AF because my lining was thin but, they feel we should just start over. Now, the ethinyl I feel is supressing me. At all my u/s, I haven't had any follies...NONE. And to be honest, it scares the crap outta me. Now, they want me to take ethinyl 1 x a day plus provera...What would be the difference in taking ethinyl or estrace with provera? I feel if ethinyl is suppressing me, why can't I take estrace kinda like an EPP type thing? I should also mention that my E2 has been really low and I've noticed little itty bitty hot flashes. Actually not sure if it's the wood stove or low E2. LOL. I would like to get a good fresh start and maybe do what Laura did with the E2 to ovulate. Not sure but, I don't want to do injectibles for now. I need to give my body a break for a couple months before going ahead with an IVF try. Maybe try naturally for a couple months and continue with my supplements...Suggestions? I'm not sure what I want to do or what's best.

Thanks for reading.

Dana
XoXo
Well, on friday they were:

E2-15.5
P4- .5
LH- 32
FSH- 19

And I should also say that I haven't ovulated since 10/11 while on the ethinyl. So frustrating.

Thanks for responding!

Dana
XoXo

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

February 8th, 2012, 11:35 pm #4

I am brand new to estinyl so I have been searching old posts the last few days looking for info. I found posts where ladies used ganirelix or cetrotide to bring on AF and that made the E2 start to rise the next cycle. Maybe you can inquire about that or search for those posts? I don't have them handy right now.

February 9th, 2012, 12:22 am #5

Well, on friday they were:

E2-15.5
P4- .5
LH- 32
FSH- 19

And I should also say that I haven't ovulated since 10/11 while on the ethinyl. So frustrating.

Thanks for responding!

Dana
XoXo
wow, have they been doing this every month - have you on estinyl and then they bring on a period through provera? That is frustrating. I am thinking you should just stay off estinyl for awhile and see how your body does on it's own. I had posted before that for me, my FSH does start out high on CD3, but the starts to taper down on it's own. Once it tapers down, then my follicle grows. Have you ever just monitored a cycle, without any meds at all to see what your body does on it's own?

Laura
Laura

February 9th, 2012, 2:19 am #6

Thanks for reading.

Dana
XoXo
As my RE put it, after both BF and BCP at the same time, my body was way over-supressed and was like a "cold car battery that needs a jump start". So while estradiol generally suppresses follicular development (that is, too much will not let the FSH work and recruit follies), when you have very low e2 like I did and you do, taking estradiol can actually help develop follies.

While estrace and estinyl are very very similar, they are not the same compound and therefore may act slightly differently for some people. I've read that estinyl will lower your FSH without raising your e2 blood level, but in this case, you actually may benefit from raising the e2 level. I kind of wish I had seen next cycle to see what it actually did to my FSH and e2 numbers, but I guess I'll never know.

I took estrace 1 mg 1x daily at bed time from CD3-CD16. I still ovulated while I took it; my follow-up was CD17 and I had ovulated 1-2 days prior, so it wasn't so much that it inhibited ovulation.