Would you consider this CD 1?

Would you consider this CD 1?

AJ
AJ

September 19th, 2011, 9:02 pm #1

So I'm having a very wacky cycle.....I starting using fertility monitor and OPK's on Day 9 and never got a surge (although the monitor had me at high fertility from then on). Also had spotting almost every day since then. Today is CD 21 and the spotting is much heavier- almost a light flow. I'm wondering if I O'd super early or not at all?? It's not uncommon for me to have spotting up to a week before AF as well. I really don't get PMS symptoms so can't rely on that....I guess the only way to know for sure would be to have b/w, but it would cost me about $50/copay and I'd probably get charged by Cooper for an OOT cycle fee. Any thoughts? Arghh!! I think I'll try temping next month. Thx!!

Sara H
Sara H

September 19th, 2011, 9:28 pm #2

I am so sorry. Yes, that is a huge reason I do the temps, just to know where the heck I am sometimes. Plus, I usually know from my temps, before I can even test, that AF is coming because they start to dip. So, it's a nice early warning.

I really don't know but, if it is day 1, then you'll really know by tomorrow, right? So I say wait and see what tomorrow brings... if you know what I mean!

Hugs!
Sara H

AJ
AJ

September 19th, 2011, 9:59 pm #3

It has to be done right when you wake up, right? I'm a poor sleeper and I usually wake really early in the morning and then I go in and out of sleep before I finally get up. Would that effect the results?

I know what you mean about the wait and see regarding AF. The thing is, my AF's have gotten pretty light and with such a short cycle and the prolonged spotting I'm not anticipating much flow, kwim? And I can't tell if I'm getting crampy or just psyching myself out thinking about it!!

Thanks for the response:)

Sara H
Sara H

September 19th, 2011, 10:59 pm #4

OK here is what I think I know! (leaving room to be wrong!)

Yes, it has to be the same time but you can pick any time. So, if you get up around 6, you always temp (even on you days off!) at about 7am. Personally, I sleep with my mouth open (not too pretty for my DH!) so I wake up, realize my mouth is open, then close it and put my pillow under my chin to keep it shut and go back to sleep for a bit while it "warms up", so to speak. What you are trying to do is see a pattern so the goal is to keep everything as 'the same' as possible.

So, it's no problem if you go in and out of sleep: just set your alarm for an early time, take it and go back to sleep.

When I started I had to write it down in the morning but now I always remember so I can just go back to sleep.

Also: Get a digital thermometer and one that remembers your last temp so that you can re-check if you do forget.

Once you start doing it, if you are like me, you'll get kind of addicted! It's cool! You can see when you ovulate, how things are going, a few days before you get af... I really like it. I have seen that it was smart to BD before the DR even tells me. (I get a big dip when I ovulate)

It does take a few months to see the patterns and it does not work for everyone and it not for everyone, just so you know. I also really recommend "Fertility Friend" online. It's free: they want you to sign up for a paid one but you don't really need it, they'll give you a free trail so see what you thing.

OK, hope this helps, happy to give you any more info if you need it!

HUGS!
Sara H

bigboy
bigboy

September 19th, 2011, 11:00 pm #5

It has to be done right when you wake up, right? I'm a poor sleeper and I usually wake really early in the morning and then I go in and out of sleep before I finally get up. Would that effect the results?

I know what you mean about the wait and see regarding AF. The thing is, my AF's have gotten pretty light and with such a short cycle and the prolonged spotting I'm not anticipating much flow, kwim? And I can't tell if I'm getting crampy or just psyching myself out thinking about it!!

Thanks for the response:)
i think temping is great. you really learn a lot about your cycles. and yes, you have to do it immediately when you wake. but it doesnt have to be at the exact same time. just whenever you wake up. (i did mine between 6:15-7:00am) my accupuncturist said within a 2 hour window which i think is pushing it a bit. and i also get up a lot during the night - at least 2 times sometimes 4, to go to the bathroom. for me, as long as i was back in bed by 5am, my temps were stable if at 6:30 or 7. but if i got up after 5am and took my temp at 6:30 or something ive noticed that it was a little scewed. it's different for everyone....you kind of just have to see what your body does....

bigboy
bigboy

September 19th, 2011, 11:02 pm #6

also...you need BBT...basal body thermometer. they are cheap you can get them anywhere.
id be happy to post my bfp and bfn charts....they are easy to post, i use fertilityfriend.com.

jnoels
jnoels

September 20th, 2011, 12:42 am #7

So I'm having a very wacky cycle.....I starting using fertility monitor and OPK's on Day 9 and never got a surge (although the monitor had me at high fertility from then on). Also had spotting almost every day since then. Today is CD 21 and the spotting is much heavier- almost a light flow. I'm wondering if I O'd super early or not at all?? It's not uncommon for me to have spotting up to a week before AF as well. I really don't get PMS symptoms so can't rely on that....I guess the only way to know for sure would be to have b/w, but it would cost me about $50/copay and I'd probably get charged by Cooper for an OOT cycle fee. Any thoughts? Arghh!! I think I'll try temping next month. Thx!!
The other ladies have given you lots of good advice - but I wanted to chime in on charting. It's worth the effort, and isn't much effort at all once you get used to it. As the other folks have explained, you want the conditions each morning to be as close to the same as possible. I'm not a great sleeper - alarm is set for 5:30 but I start waking up around 4:15 - and I never took temps until 5:30 and still saw consistent patterns over several months.

I learned a lot about my cycle through charting - and combined with OPKs, found it to be really useful.

Good luck!

Cee
Cee

September 20th, 2011, 3:51 pm #8

I'm in the minority here, but the only thing I ever discovered about temping & charting was that my cycles are truly messed up! I don't do it anymore. I would never have any indication of ovulations, and my charts were what are called tri-phasic. B/w & u/s is the only way I know what's going on with my wonky body. But I do think that if you don't temp/chart, that you should, just to see if your body produces any semblance of a pattern from cycle to cycle.

GL!

bigboy
bigboy

September 20th, 2011, 6:04 pm #9

yeah if you have really messed up cycles charting isnt going to tell you much...other than that your cycles are messed up! when i had HA, temping was pointless for me bc i was annovulatory for 6 months...it was pointless and frustrating for me.

AJ
AJ

September 20th, 2011, 9:12 pm #10

Thanks for all the input about temping. I'll give it a shot. I might have the issue with wacky cycles that makes it unreliable, but we'll see.

And, my flow did pick up so I counted yesterday as CD1. At this stage, I'm just happy AF shows up (if I'm not pregnant).

Thanks again:)