Will fragrance or a long walk cause early miscarriage? (m'c mentioned)

Will fragrance or a long walk cause early miscarriage? (m'c mentioned)

Julie
Julie

May 14th, 2012, 7:37 pm #1

I just had a chemical pregnancy. Although it may be due to chromosome problems, I question two things I have done:

1. on 16dpo.I took a long walk - two hours and felt very tired after that. It was not done on purpose. I went for a walk with a guest on an unfamiliar trail.

2. I stopped using anything with fragrance in it two years ago because i was told fragrance is no good for embryos when I did my last IVF. I just used product for sensitive skins without any fragrance. However, a house guest used a very shampoo with a very strong smell and I didn't pay attention. I think the embryo inside my body may not be as sensitive as embryos in the lab. So I took a shower right after and gave my baby a bath. I felt uncomfortable for a few hours and thrown up a few hours later. The next day my hcg dropped dramatically.

I want to be more careful in the future and avoid stupid mistakes. What do you think about the risks of a long walk or using shampoo with fragrance?

Many thinks!

Erin
Erin

May 14th, 2012, 7:53 pm #2

Hi Julie. First, I so very sorry for your loss. That is heart-breaking. I honestly don't think anything you did was wrong or would have affected your outcome. I think it's fine that you took that walk, and the soap might have just smelled extra strong b/c you were pg, but I can't imagine it would have harmed you in any way. Again, I'm really sorry and sending hugs.

Houston
Houston

May 14th, 2012, 8:09 pm #3

I just had a chemical pregnancy. Although it may be due to chromosome problems, I question two things I have done:

1. on 16dpo.I took a long walk - two hours and felt very tired after that. It was not done on purpose. I went for a walk with a guest on an unfamiliar trail.

2. I stopped using anything with fragrance in it two years ago because i was told fragrance is no good for embryos when I did my last IVF. I just used product for sensitive skins without any fragrance. However, a house guest used a very shampoo with a very strong smell and I didn't pay attention. I think the embryo inside my body may not be as sensitive as embryos in the lab. So I took a shower right after and gave my baby a bath. I felt uncomfortable for a few hours and thrown up a few hours later. The next day my hcg dropped dramatically.

I want to be more careful in the future and avoid stupid mistakes. What do you think about the risks of a long walk or using shampoo with fragrance?

Many thinks!
I am sorry for your loss. I do not believe a long walk would cause an early miscarriage. In fact, people who are pregnant without IVF often exercise to their hearts content without experiencing issues.

I specifically asked a doctor about the fragrance issue. It will not cause a miscarriage. The only time it could be harmful to embryos is prior to the time they are transferred back to you. Once that is done, fragrances will not cause any harm.

I know it is hard not to question everything in this type of situation. I'm still doing it as a result of an ectopic in January, but really, I this is probably a situation that was out of your control. There is most likely absolutely nothing that you could have done that would have made a difference.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 14th, 2012, 8:46 pm #4

Many thinks!
Your answers make me feel better. Esp about Houston's answer regarding fragrance issues.

But as a lesson, I strongly recommend everyone to be careful esp in early pregnancy. Erin, so glad for you. Take good care and take it easy.

Laura
Laura

May 14th, 2012, 11:59 pm #5

Many thinks!
It is so hard to go through a mc. Heartbreaking. And since people (read: women and OBs) rarely talk about mc, we start to believe it will only happen to people who aren't "doing the right thing"...whether it be eating right, getting enough rest, taking enough p4, etc. So when we "do everything right" it's hard to understand why mc's happen.

Research studies have shown that m/c happens in upwards of 50-60% of pregnancies, not the "10%" that dumb web sites say. The majority of those were "doomed" from the beginning because of a genetic abnormality in the embryo that prevents it from developing.

You didn't do anything wrong. Taking a long walk keeps blood circulating and is good for you at all stages of pg. Taking a shower with a scented shampoo is not the same as "huffing" a scent and getting high from it.

Take care of yourself during the mc. And then you can start trying again right away. So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 15th, 2012, 2:04 am #6

Your words almost made me cry. I know we rarely get answers, but I still hope I had been more careful so that I don't have doubts about myself. And I will be more careful for sure.

Thank you for all your help. I am ready to move on and start again. Hugs and best wishes to you all.

Teresa
Teresa

May 15th, 2012, 11:28 am #7

Many thinks!
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Everything Laura said is so spot on, I couldn't say it better.

You did nothing wrong. I promise you.

I have had 4 losses. And every single time, I have tortured myself wondering if I did something wrong. Was it that I didn't drink enough water that day? Was it that I got too upset at something? Should I have rested more? I drove myself crazy. I had to go talk to a therapist because it was destroying me.

It is incredibly hard to not know why we go through miscarriage. The doctors have no clue and will never tell you why, which leaves you beside yourself. I had my first one at 27. (Young!) I had my most recent last August. I had just turned 39. I have never gotten an answer for any of my 4 losses. I have endometriosis, a fibroid...and now I am of advanced maternal age, have had elevated FSH. It could be any of those things. It could be a fluke.

Many women go on to have successful pregnancies after miscarriage and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you are one of those lucky ones!

Hugs to you. Don't lose hope, okay?

teresa

Julie
Julie

May 15th, 2012, 9:51 pm #8

Teresa, just want to say thank you again for your kind words. I saw your reply to "should I feel offended" post too. Your writing is full of understanding and insights. I am deeply touched and grateful.

Teresa
Teresa

May 16th, 2012, 8:49 pm #9

You're welcome! We are all here for you. Never give up!!!!
XOXO