Was this IUI a wasted cycle? Please provide feedback.

Was this IUI a wasted cycle? Please provide feedback.

Anon
Anon

November 30th, 2011, 7:35 pm #1

I received my trigger shot on CD 10 when 2 follies were 16.5 and 11.7mm because my LH was rising. Lining was 10.5mm TL. E2 was 252, LH was 23. The IUI took place on CD12. I had lots of pain on CD 11 and I told the RE that I may have ovulated on CD11. On the day of the IUI (CD12), she did a quick ultrasound prior to the IUI, and said that the follicle still looked good and most likely the pain that I was feeling was caused by the final expansion of the follicle. I left the clinic feeling happy because I believed her. However, when I did some research on my own, I read that BW is also needed to confirm things.

BTW, my CD2 stats were the following: E2 43, FSH 10.1, lining was under 6mm. I am 40 y.o.
my CD8 stats were the following: E2 105, LH 6.5, 12.8mm and 11.7mm follicles, lining was not measured.

Was this IUI a complete waste? Is there any hope when trigger is given when follie is only 16.5mm? I have no symptoms and Im still days away from my beta check. I dont want to do POAS as Im scared.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Cee
Cee

November 30th, 2011, 7:59 pm #2

There have been success stories with follies smaller than 16.5. I would have expected them to do b/w prior though to make sure that your trigger was working. Will you or did you have a check up a week after IUI?

Anon
Anon

November 30th, 2011, 8:07 pm #3

...I did not ask the RE (nor it was suggested). I did not push for this BW because of schedule conflicts. The next time I go in for BW is for the Beta check. I am on endmetrium 2x day for progesterone support.

Cee
Cee

November 30th, 2011, 8:25 pm #4

Is that there was no way to verify that you did in fact release, or that the trigger worked. My RE always checks on that, because the first IUI I had, the trigger didn't work. Maybe something to ask about in the future?

Anon
Anon

November 30th, 2011, 8:45 pm #5

...you raise a good point. I will ask about the post ovulation check the next time around.

Anon
Anon

November 30th, 2011, 9:00 pm #6

I received my trigger shot on CD 10 when 2 follies were 16.5 and 11.7mm because my LH was rising. Lining was 10.5mm TL. E2 was 252, LH was 23. The IUI took place on CD12. I had lots of pain on CD 11 and I told the RE that I may have ovulated on CD11. On the day of the IUI (CD12), she did a quick ultrasound prior to the IUI, and said that the follicle still looked good and most likely the pain that I was feeling was caused by the final expansion of the follicle. I left the clinic feeling happy because I believed her. However, when I did some research on my own, I read that BW is also needed to confirm things.

BTW, my CD2 stats were the following: E2 43, FSH 10.1, lining was under 6mm. I am 40 y.o.
my CD8 stats were the following: E2 105, LH 6.5, 12.8mm and 11.7mm follicles, lining was not measured.

Was this IUI a complete waste? Is there any hope when trigger is given when follie is only 16.5mm? I have no symptoms and Im still days away from my beta check. I dont want to do POAS as Im scared.

Your feedback is appreciated.
...my LH was taken on CD10 in the am and my trigger shot was taken at 7:40pm. Do you think I ovulated prior to doing the trigger shot?

Sorry in advance if I am driving you nuts with my dumb questions.

NancyMN
NancyMN

November 30th, 2011, 9:07 pm #7

Is that there was no way to verify that you did in fact release, or that the trigger worked. My RE always checks on that, because the first IUI I had, the trigger didn't work. Maybe something to ask about in the future?
Cee-how did you convince your doctor to check to make sure the trigger worked? I did my 2nd IUI and I suspect I may have ovulated days after the IUII asked them several times if they would test to confirm ovulation, and all they would say is DONT WORRY! We know everyone ovulates because we do the trigger for ERs, we cant risk losing the eggs for ERs, blah blah blah I even told them I knew people that the trigger didnt work for and they still just kept telling me dont worryits frustrating to be put into a bucket like that. Obviously the trigger does NOT always work.

Also, what do you use instead of the trigger shot? I used ovidrelfirst time it seemed to work as planned, 2nd time I am not so sure

Cee
Cee

November 30th, 2011, 9:12 pm #8

...my LH was taken on CD10 in the am and my trigger shot was taken at 7:40pm. Do you think I ovulated prior to doing the trigger shot?

Sorry in advance if I am driving you nuts with my dumb questions.
Because your follicle was still there on u/s prior to the IUI, right? If you had ovulated, the follicle would have been gone or had turned into the corpus luteum.

Cee
Cee

November 30th, 2011, 9:16 pm #9

Cee-how did you convince your doctor to check to make sure the trigger worked? I did my 2nd IUI and I suspect I may have ovulated days after the IUII asked them several times if they would test to confirm ovulation, and all they would say is DONT WORRY! We know everyone ovulates because we do the trigger for ERs, we cant risk losing the eggs for ERs, blah blah blah I even told them I knew people that the trigger didnt work for and they still just kept telling me dont worryits frustrating to be put into a bucket like that. Obviously the trigger does NOT always work.

Also, what do you use instead of the trigger shot? I used ovidrelfirst time it seemed to work as planned, 2nd time I am not so sure
I didn't convince my doctor, it's just something they do. The day of IUI, prior to doing it, they take blood and do an u/s to make sure things are still timed correctly. Then they always check one week past IUI - they check all numbers but especially P4 and do an u/s to confirm that I did ovulate.

The hCG trigger didn't work on me, at 40 hours past trigger I still had not released. So now I trigger with Lupron. I take a Lupron shot at around 6pm at night, take another one at 6am the next morning (12 hours later) and then have my IUI approximately 36-40 hours after the first shot. Then at the time of my IUI or sometime after I take 5000 units of hCG.

Anon
Anon

November 30th, 2011, 9:30 pm #10

Because your follicle was still there on u/s prior to the IUI, right? If you had ovulated, the follicle would have been gone or had turned into the corpus luteum.
...but I read somewhere that without BW, its hard to tell for sure. FWIW, I remember seeing a clearly defined follie on the US on the day of the IUI...it was circular and looked to me like a follicle. However, I tend to second guess things.

Thanks Cee for your feedback. The 2WW is getting slowly but surely getting to me.