Update on IVF #1, Have No Clue What These Results Mean...

Update on IVF #1, Have No Clue What These Results Mean...

July 14th, 2012, 9:39 pm #1

Hi ladies,

I went in this morning for bloodwork/ultrasound after completing 3 days of high stims (450 Follistim/150 Menopur along with 10 units of Lupron twice per day). The Lupron was started last Monday and I also did Cetrotide and Vivelle patches. I am CD 8.

I am satelliting at a local hospital so during the ultrasound, the RE only told me that there was one follicle on one side and that was all he said (baseline was 3-4 on each side). He did not tell me anything about the other side.

I was able to get my bloodwork results because the satelliting hospital uses an online reporting of results. The levels were Estradiol at 271.8, Progesterone at .90 and LH at 16.3.

There was a problem with faxing over results to my main clinic so they were not able to get/interpret the results of the ultrasound. My main RE said that based on the bloodwork, I should continue with the same injections today and tomorrow and go in on Monday for another ultrasound/bloodwork.

The nurse I spoke to said that I shouldn't expect to see much as far as follicles growing at this point since I have only done 3 days of meds. Does this sound right? Does anyone know what the bloodwork results indicate?

As always, thanks so much for any thoughts/input!

July 15th, 2012, 7:01 pm #2

I often have a folly that's slightly above 10 and then another about 7 or 8 early in the stim cycle. I really pay attention to the size of the follicles as that is what tells me when the eggs are getting close to maturity and also which follys are likely to mature enough to fertilize. After I have 2 follicles on each ovary above 10 (usually somewhere about 12 to 16), some others will come popping up. My max of follicles that went to ER was 4 though. (3 of which fertilized and transferred, but still resulted in a BFN.)

The size of the follicle for triggering depends on the clinic and the protocol. At Cornell, it's been about 19 for the lead follicle or so for me.

I only pay attention to estrogen levels and the blood work in the beginning. I am always happy to see my estrogen go above 100 and keep on rising in the early days of stimming.

My suspicion is that one of your follicles is now above 10. However, I always ask at the U/S to be told what they see as far as size and number. You may want to do the same.

Your nurse is right as far as being early in the stim cycle-- that's why I just pay attention to estrogen at that point. As far as the lab results, I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

July 15th, 2012, 7:02 pm #3

Hi ladies,

I went in this morning for bloodwork/ultrasound after completing 3 days of high stims (450 Follistim/150 Menopur along with 10 units of Lupron twice per day). The Lupron was started last Monday and I also did Cetrotide and Vivelle patches. I am CD 8.

I am satelliting at a local hospital so during the ultrasound, the RE only told me that there was one follicle on one side and that was all he said (baseline was 3-4 on each side). He did not tell me anything about the other side.

I was able to get my bloodwork results because the satelliting hospital uses an online reporting of results. The levels were Estradiol at 271.8, Progesterone at .90 and LH at 16.3.

There was a problem with faxing over results to my main clinic so they were not able to get/interpret the results of the ultrasound. My main RE said that based on the bloodwork, I should continue with the same injections today and tomorrow and go in on Monday for another ultrasound/bloodwork.

The nurse I spoke to said that I shouldn't expect to see much as far as follicles growing at this point since I have only done 3 days of meds. Does this sound right? Does anyone know what the bloodwork results indicate?

As always, thanks so much for any thoughts/input!
I often have a folly that's slightly above 10 and then another about 7 or 8 early in the stim cycle. I really pay attention to the size of the follicles as that is what tells me when the eggs are getting close to maturity and also which follys are likely to mature enough to fertilize. After I have 2 follicles on each ovary above 10 (usually somewhere about 12 to 16), some others will come popping up. My max of follicles that went to ER was 4 though. (3 of which fertilized and transferred, but still resulted in a BFN.)

The size of the follicle for triggering depends on the clinic and the protocol. At Cornell, it's been about 19 for the lead follicle or so for me.

I only pay attention to estrogen levels and the blood work in the beginning. I am always happy to see my estrogen go above 100 and keep on rising in the early days of stimming.

My suspicion is that one of your follicles is now above 10. However, I always ask at the U/S to be told what they see as far as size and number. You may want to do the same.

Your nurse is right as far as being early in the stim cycle-- that's why I just pay attention to estrogen at that point. As far as the lab results, I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

July 16th, 2012, 2:41 am #4

I will talk to the nurse tomorrow to find out exactly what is going on. It's frustrating when these appointments happen on the weekend.

Thanks for telling me about your experience. That helps me to gauge how this process usually goes because I have been pretty much clueless before this.

Take care and thanks again!