Traveling & customs question

Traveling & customs question

SF
SF

April 21st, 2011, 3:38 am #1

I'm going to Europe, and will be bringing along my vitamins & supplements. I'd like to carry them on, but wonder if there will be an issue in Western or Eastern Europe? Some are in powder form (like vit C powder), and I'd like to bring it in a plastic bag. I will write 'vit C' on the bag, but wonder if this will be okay with customs? Will they have to test it, or take it away if unsure?

To be safe, should I bring the large container it came in- so it's clearly labeled? I just don't want to be without my vitamins, if they don't pass customs in plastic baggies! I could pack them in my suitcase, but what if my suitcase gets lost.....
Thx
SF

April 21st, 2011, 5:58 am #2

Hi

I am in London and have travelled a bit around the rest of Europe with various odd looking capsules- often not in their original packaging. Only been asked about them once when were in a metal pot and basically the lady was fine when I just said herbal medicine.

I think sniffer dogs etc are good and distinguishing naughty powders from innocent.

I think you will be absolutely fine.

Have a marvellous trip. If it is soon the weather is amazing we are having an early summer 27c yesterday!
Jx

Sara H.
Sara H.

April 21st, 2011, 1:06 pm #3

It really depends on where you are going. We were in the Middle East and there Midol is illegal! No kidding! Along with a whole bunch of other stuff! They also say no pre-natals until the 2nd trimester, only folic acid! So, check those laws as much as you can, bring as much in the original packaging and see if one of your Dr. (any one) will write a note (or sign one you already wrote) with a visual description of the meds and an OK for them. And, would bring as much in pill form as possible, unopened packages.
Better to be safe, and never need it, than sorry! Also, are you driving around of flying? If you are driving you only have to worry about that first flight in though customs, no worries between countries.

Good luck, have a wonderful time and I am sure it will be fine!
Sara H.

For example:
"Red Raspberry Leaf Tea:
Description; Lose tea, ground leaves, brown and green, bitter smell

Vit C powered:
Description: White power, smells like citrus, bitter to taste

I, Dr.Blah Blah, certify that the two above substances, Red Raspberry leaf tea and Vit C, are non-narcotic, herbal remedies. Signed: ______________________________

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 21st, 2011, 4:10 pm #4

I'm going to Europe, and will be bringing along my vitamins & supplements. I'd like to carry them on, but wonder if there will be an issue in Western or Eastern Europe? Some are in powder form (like vit C powder), and I'd like to bring it in a plastic bag. I will write 'vit C' on the bag, but wonder if this will be okay with customs? Will they have to test it, or take it away if unsure?

To be safe, should I bring the large container it came in- so it's clearly labeled? I just don't want to be without my vitamins, if they don't pass customs in plastic baggies! I could pack them in my suitcase, but what if my suitcase gets lost.....
Thx
SF
never put all your meds in one bag and always bring extra medication.

I used to be of the mindset to put stuff like that in my carry-on because I didn't trust my suitcase not getting lost in transit...until my carry-on was stolen from me at a train station.

Pack some in your carry-on and also some in your suitcase. That way if one or the other gets lost/stolen/whatever, you still have SOMETHING. And even if nothing is lost/stolen/whatever, you still always run the risk of a delayed flight or cancelled flight or being stranded for days on end. For that reason, I always pack extra medication.

It's not possible to plan for every scenario but when it's important stuff like meds you want to be safe than sorry.

For the record, I've only had my carry-on stolen once, suitcase has never been lost or delayed, but have been victim to massively delayed flights, cancelled flights and even stranded.

Oh - the other thing...I always have an extra pair of clean undies in my purse. Clean underwear are priceless!

Safe travels!