Think I am done with Cooper/Check (DE mentioned)

Think I am done with Cooper/Check (DE mentioned)

Cathy
Cathy

September 18th, 2011, 4:45 pm #1

So I will start off by acknowledging that Cooper and Check have many fans on this board. In fact, I used to count myself as one of them. But I think that has pretty much ended.

I first went to Check in February after seeing two REs here in DC. He seemed very knowledgeable and even hopeful. But I am now on my fifth "cycle" with him, and I feel like it's the exact same thing every single time. I have asked the nurses about other options and even had a phone consult with Check, but to no real avail. I also found out that, despite my request that they not use the "infertility" billing code because my insurance won't cover anything under that code, they never bothered to change it when faxing my bloodwork orders to my local lab. So, I now have a bill of over $1000 just for bloodwork. The last call came yesterday when I called to get my b/w orders faxed for Monday - and Cooper refused to do so because I needed "to talk to their Billing department." Now, I had just talked to Billing - and paid my out-of-town monitoring bill IN FULL on Thursday - so I found this completely baseless, heartless and just downright irritating.

They say the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I feel that Check is already doing that to me, so now I have to be the one to break the cycle.

So disappointing...

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I think DE is next for us.

anna
anna

September 18th, 2011, 6:43 pm #2

I am sorry it going thru this. I am not with cooper but I know what u mean. If the f** law in this country would change and IF would be covered our life would be much easier. About the code change, well its insurance fraud, not that I care for this multi miliion money maker companies, but I guess they r scared. Can u brief me thru it history?

Cathy
Cathy

September 18th, 2011, 7:24 pm #3

because I, literally, have not had a period since February 2010. So forget IUI or IVF - I haven't even been able to get a period. My RE here said he would absolutely just code it as irregular periods.
But, honestly, that's just part of the problem with Cooper - I feel as though Dr. Check just keeps telling me to do the exact same thing (i.e., Estinyl) regardless of what the numbers show.

Sigh.

Thanks for your reply!

anna
anna

September 18th, 2011, 11:39 pm #4

Well that's f*ed up, why doesn't he code it under that if itsnot a fraud?? Or he could use 256.39 for POF.

anon for this one
anon for this one

September 19th, 2011, 12:43 am #5

So I will start off by acknowledging that Cooper and Check have many fans on this board. In fact, I used to count myself as one of them. But I think that has pretty much ended.

I first went to Check in February after seeing two REs here in DC. He seemed very knowledgeable and even hopeful. But I am now on my fifth "cycle" with him, and I feel like it's the exact same thing every single time. I have asked the nurses about other options and even had a phone consult with Check, but to no real avail. I also found out that, despite my request that they not use the "infertility" billing code because my insurance won't cover anything under that code, they never bothered to change it when faxing my bloodwork orders to my local lab. So, I now have a bill of over $1000 just for bloodwork. The last call came yesterday when I called to get my b/w orders faxed for Monday - and Cooper refused to do so because I needed "to talk to their Billing department." Now, I had just talked to Billing - and paid my out-of-town monitoring bill IN FULL on Thursday - so I found this completely baseless, heartless and just downright irritating.

They say the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I feel that Check is already doing that to me, so now I have to be the one to break the cycle.

So disappointing...

I am sorry you are having these problems. I am getting tired. I did not get my call back on Friday. They were closed by 530 so, nothing I could do. When I finally got through on Sunnday I was told they never received my results. I really think it was their issue and not the out of town facility. They also told me before they would tell me results I needed to pay and that I was on credit hold. What? They over charged me the last time and I should have a credit with them. I told them bill my cc if that is the only way to get results. So I believe I have now been double billed. How did I know I was on credit hold? I never, ever feel satisfied when I get off the phone with them. I like Check but he sometimes has conflicting statements with the nurses. The nurses always admit to me that they don't see things in my chart. I just feel there is no great structure there. Also, the re on Sat. wanted me to take fsh injections and I am not really sure that would be Checks advice. When I questioned it to the nurse explaining I have not had good results on injectables she said, Oh the re on call does not know your history. What? How can they treat me properly? I hope things work out better for both of us.

Denise
Denise

September 19th, 2011, 12:49 am #6

So disappointing...

Just wanted to say so sorry, but I have twins from DE first cycle beautiful, healthy and smart counld not love them more good luck on your next adventure hope you are successful very soon!!

Rebekah
Rebekah

September 19th, 2011, 1:09 am #7

So disappointing...

Cathy - so sorry this is going on and I hear you as well. We started at Check/Cooper in Oct. We told ourselves we would give it one year with natural cycles and our expectations would be at the very least to gain more information. We did get more information than we had at previous RE's but no success with pg. We are sticking to our plan of action. Someone recommended that I ask for a 2nd in-person with Check so we are going to try for that, tell him we are moving on from natural cycles and if he would recommend a cycle of IVF with OE. We have also gotten the paperwork for the donor embryo list. We've been mourning for this loss of our own eggs for a few months now so we do feel ready to move on . . . baby steps. Only you know if/when you are ready. I too rarely get AF and only had one follicle/cycle the whole year with Check. My body would just go dormant for months at a time, esp if I would take "mental breaks." And yes, so far the only protocal I've had was: take the estinyl.

ps the nurses on Sat know nothing about billing. Their computer system is old I think so they can't even check information. We always have to call the billing office on monday morning and DH usually does it. He's less emotional than I am and they don't usually give him an issue. Sorry it happened to you though.

MargieD
MargieD

September 19th, 2011, 1:45 am #8

So disappointing...

He recommended natural cycles with progesterone support. Then we upgraded to injectibles - Bravelle and Cetrotide.

After six months, the nurses kept pushing for a consultation. I was annoyed because we just had a callback with him on the phone. (And we live in the Midwest.)

Well - we decided to make the appointment anyway IN PERSON.

Turns out that he's different from when he's in person and on the callbacks. We got a LOT more information. Actually met with him in July and since then, I've had a laprascopy and hysterscopy - which he recommended only if insurance was covering it. After meeting with my gynecologist and looking over my HSG results - we went for it. (Turns out I really needed it.)

Now we're going to do naturally for a month or two and then going to IVF.

But... I do have regular periods.

And their billing department is a MESS....but part of that is my insurance. I have coverage for diagnostic stuff. However, insurance told us that they didn't cover NJ, but a phone call a couple of months later said that they did. It was weird how this came up. Billing kept telling us that insurance didn't cover it. Depending on who you talked to - insurance said they didn't cover it. After we talked to a supervisor and got it in the file - we got it straightened out (I hope) so we have some credit. BUT we did this in person at Coopers. I don't know if you've been to the billing's office, but there were four of us crammed in that office while talking to our insurance. I think we were there for about 2 1/2 hours, but we both got the same information. Unfortunately - that info is not showing up yet so they're pushing us to pay the balance of one month's OOT fee. We're trying to tell them that it wouldn't be worth it because they would owe us so much and since we only plan to do one or two more natural cycles.

We did learn a LOT from working with Coopers and plan to go to the local RE and do IVF before the end of the year.

I will say this - from what I've learned from the boards - estinyl doesn't work the same way for everyone and sometimes you have to be patient with it. If you're not having regular periods - then that's another issue. Some people can stick it out to see if it will work for as long as they can... and others can't... you need to know your limits... and that can be hard...

Best of luck....

AJ
AJ

September 19th, 2011, 9:11 pm #9

So disappointing...

that things didn't work out for you. I only made it 3 months with Cooper before I had to take a break. I'm not sure if I'll go back. I found that being an OOT patient was incredibly difficult. I know Check has been great for so many women, and it's hard when there are so many fans to not be one yourself.

I hope you are at peace with your decision and wish you the best of luck moving forward!!

Cathy
Cathy

September 19th, 2011, 9:45 pm #10

Just wanted to say so sorry, but I have twins from DE first cycle beautiful, healthy and smart counld not love them more good luck on your next adventure hope you are successful very soon!!
Denise, I am so genuinely happy to hear about your twins! Congratulations! Did you do DE through Check? And thanks for your good wishes.