Support for over 40's

Support for over 40's

June 18th, 2012, 3:47 pm #1

Hi ALL,

Im new to this forum, I am 41 (going very quickly on 42) and am in my 2ww from an IUI that resulted from an IVF that got cancelled. This was my fourth attempt. I say that because although I have attempted IVF 4x only one got to retrieval, the rest were cancelled due to the fact that I am a poor responder. Im at Cornell (Dr Davis) and Im going down to see Dr Check on Wednesday since Cornell is closed next month and I dont want to waste a month if this IUI is negative...anyone else seen Dr. Check? I hear the wait in the office is long but other than that he is great....Any others like me?

Jainee
Jainee

June 18th, 2012, 4:41 pm #2

http://www.network54.com/Forum/53068/

the women are wonderful over on the next board and you will learn tons and feel very welcome

Sara H
Sara H

June 18th, 2012, 9:20 pm #3

Hi ALL,

Im new to this forum, I am 41 (going very quickly on 42) and am in my 2ww from an IUI that resulted from an IVF that got cancelled. This was my fourth attempt. I say that because although I have attempted IVF 4x only one got to retrieval, the rest were cancelled due to the fact that I am a poor responder. Im at Cornell (Dr Davis) and Im going down to see Dr Check on Wednesday since Cornell is closed next month and I dont want to waste a month if this IUI is negative...anyone else seen Dr. Check? I hear the wait in the office is long but other than that he is great....Any others like me?
as PP said, there is an AMAZING over 40's board, though you are welcome here as well.

As far as Dr. Check he has a BUNCH of folks on this board who are either working with him, are pg after working with him or have kids because of his care.

I, personally, am 7 month pg after almost 4 years, an FSH up to 58 at one point, two TOP dr.s kicked me out... and Dr. Check was able to fix my hormones and get me PG in 7 cycles. So, I'm a believer!

But: I see a lot of wonderful things about Dr. Davis, too! A number of people found success with him as well.

I always think seeing someone else is a great idea, so chat with both of them!

Good luck to you and welcome,
Sara H

PS- Dr. Check's office is a bit different than what you might be used to... looks at the main page here and find the "search" button. Do a search about first visits with him and read up a bit. He is eccentric but worth it and, if you know going in, you'll be ready for it! He's not your typical RE... but typical kicked me out and with him I found success!

Ashley
Ashley

June 19th, 2012, 1:20 am #4

Hi Sara,

I have been wondering with Fsh as high as 58 were u still having periods?
THANKS

Sara H
Sara H

June 19th, 2012, 3:08 am #5

That is always what was odd about me. Regular as clockwork... until my first Check appointment. That was the first month I did not have any sign of ovulation, no positive OPK, and I think I would have had late AF if they had not started me on stuff right then. Talk about getting in under the wire! Squeak!

Weird, right? And once they got my FSH to normal (which only took 2 cycles) it stayed there on it's own for 6 months... was just starting to climb the cycle I had success which maybe one part of why, for the first time including my IVF cycle, I had three follicles going. Whatever, it worked! (The cycle before it was up a bit and I had two but no success.) As you know, if your FSH is low and suddenly jumps it acts just like a stimulating drug.

Good luck to you and hugs,
Sara H

MargieD
MargieD

June 19th, 2012, 8:56 am #6

My FSH was high as 70 something one month and I've had periods EVERY SINGLE MONTH. It was pretty regular - 24-27 days.

As for OPKs and temp charting - I never did these (couldn't get the hang of them).

I did find out that 1) I had a blocked tube, 2) my follicles didn't always release although b/w showed I released, 3) my follicles weren't always mature when releasing, etc.

And oh - my AFC was usually around 10-12 follicles per month.

I have a hard time understanding that high FSH translates to immediate menopause....

Ashley
Ashley

June 19th, 2012, 1:01 pm #7

That is always what was odd about me. Regular as clockwork... until my first Check appointment. That was the first month I did not have any sign of ovulation, no positive OPK, and I think I would have had late AF if they had not started me on stuff right then. Talk about getting in under the wire! Squeak!

Weird, right? And once they got my FSH to normal (which only took 2 cycles) it stayed there on it's own for 6 months... was just starting to climb the cycle I had success which maybe one part of why, for the first time including my IVF cycle, I had three follicles going. Whatever, it worked! (The cycle before it was up a bit and I had two but no success.) As you know, if your FSH is low and suddenly jumps it acts just like a stimulating drug.

Good luck to you and hugs,
Sara H
Thanks Sara H

Ashley
Ashley

June 19th, 2012, 4:41 pm #8

My FSH was high as 70 something one month and I've had periods EVERY SINGLE MONTH. It was pretty regular - 24-27 days.

As for OPKs and temp charting - I never did these (couldn't get the hang of them).

I did find out that 1) I had a blocked tube, 2) my follicles didn't always release although b/w showed I released, 3) my follicles weren't always mature when releasing, etc.

And oh - my AFC was usually around 10-12 follicles per month.

I have a hard time understanding that high FSH translates to immediate menopause....
What was your E2 ?

June 19th, 2012, 5:50 pm #9

as PP said, there is an AMAZING over 40's board, though you are welcome here as well.

As far as Dr. Check he has a BUNCH of folks on this board who are either working with him, are pg after working with him or have kids because of his care.

I, personally, am 7 month pg after almost 4 years, an FSH up to 58 at one point, two TOP dr.s kicked me out... and Dr. Check was able to fix my hormones and get me PG in 7 cycles. So, I'm a believer!

But: I see a lot of wonderful things about Dr. Davis, too! A number of people found success with him as well.

I always think seeing someone else is a great idea, so chat with both of them!

Good luck to you and welcome,
Sara H

PS- Dr. Check's office is a bit different than what you might be used to... looks at the main page here and find the "search" button. Do a search about first visits with him and read up a bit. He is eccentric but worth it and, if you know going in, you'll be ready for it! He's not your typical RE... but typical kicked me out and with him I found success!
tHANKS sARAh...WERE YOU DOING mini ivf? wHAT EXACTLY IS THAT? It seems like they do a bunch of low or no stim cycles and freeze the eggs? But it seems like that would end up being very costly?

MargieD
MargieD

June 19th, 2012, 6:37 pm #10

What was your E2 ?
I'd have to check my records... but it was usually on the low end....