So confused - stopping Estinyl when my E2 is low??

So confused - stopping Estinyl when my E2 is low??

Cathy
Cathy

June 11th, 2011, 4:11 pm #1

hi ladies
I'm hoping you can give me some insight here. I've been doing cycles of Estinyl with Check since late February. While my FSH has gone down, my E2 has not risen above 40. When I got my b/w done on Thursday, my FSH was 14 and my E2 was down to 28. So, the nurse told me to stop the Estinyl and start taking Clomid every other day. I'm really confused about the logic behind this - if they are saying my E2 is low because of my elevated FSH, then why would they take me off the drug that is suppressing the FSH (Estinyl) and put me on one that is likely to actually increase it (Clomid)?
I'm feeling kind of bummed because two weeks ago, they saw two 9 mm follies...but now they might be gone.
Insight greatly appreciated!

lucy999
lucy999

June 11th, 2011, 4:14 pm #2

stimming which is what they are doing so your E2 can rise. they will probably monitor you every few days to make sure E2 is rising.

Cathy
Cathy

June 11th, 2011, 4:19 pm #3

so I guess that makes sense. They just didn't really explain it that way, and I haven't been on any kind of stim before, despite 15 months of TTC. I am supposed to go back in Wednesday for b/w and u/s.

Any other advice?

Thanks!

lucy999
lucy999

June 11th, 2011, 4:29 pm #4

hopefully, your E2 rises and fsh remains low. sending you lots of luck.

MargieD
MargieD

June 11th, 2011, 5:21 pm #5

hi ladies
I'm hoping you can give me some insight here. I've been doing cycles of Estinyl with Check since late February. While my FSH has gone down, my E2 has not risen above 40. When I got my b/w done on Thursday, my FSH was 14 and my E2 was down to 28. So, the nurse told me to stop the Estinyl and start taking Clomid every other day. I'm really confused about the logic behind this - if they are saying my E2 is low because of my elevated FSH, then why would they take me off the drug that is suppressing the FSH (Estinyl) and put me on one that is likely to actually increase it (Clomid)?
I'm feeling kind of bummed because two weeks ago, they saw two 9 mm follies...but now they might be gone.
You want your E2 to rise so that you can produce follicles.

Sometimes estinyl can keep your E2 from rising. (And many women have gotten pregnant with a FSH of 14 or higher...)

Sara H
Sara H

June 12th, 2011, 12:11 am #6

hi ladies
If you check my last few posts you'll see I have been dealing with very similar issues, including bad E2 and a nice 10mm follicle that evaporated... grr. I got some great info if you go back and read those posts.

I think it's smart to try it, it could work, which is why they are trying it. But, just keep in the back of your mind, it could shoot up your FSH level. I wasn't mentally prepared for that. Hopefully this will not happen to you but just be aware that it could, OK?

Mine jumped so they put me back on the estinyl. We'll see what happens on Monday, we are doing bloods but no ultrasound.

Best of luck and I sooo hope it works out!
Hugs!
Sara H.

June 12th, 2011, 2:32 am #7

hi ladies
When I did 2 back to back (long) cycles at Cooper Oct-Jan I had something similar. I have learned Cooper will cycle you for a while before "calling it quits." However you can learn something from this. Oct-Jan, one of those cycles I did the same as you, stop estinyl (fsh was low) and take clomid to try to jump start things. Nothing happened for me and we went to provera. To be honest, in my situation, I've learned if things aren't happening by mid cycle - they probably won't. This past round I cancelled on my own at CD13.

On natural cycles with Cooper I think you spend some time learning (like they do) about what is going to work and what isn't.

Hope this helps a bit!

Cathy
Cathy

June 12th, 2011, 3:17 pm #8

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Sara H, I think I actually responded to one of your earlier posts, saying it sounded as though we were having similar issues. I hope you get good news from your b/w on Monday! And Rebekah, I totally agree that Cooper will do a long (sometimes very long) cycle before calling it quits. The first cycle, I was on Estinyl for 60 days before we went to Provera. And I am a little concerned that my FSH will shoot back up w/ the clomid. It was at 99 when I started the estinyl in February, which was the highest it's ever been.
But, like everyone says, I guess both Cooper and I have to figure out what works and what doesn't.