Sher Protocol

Sher Protocol

August 2nd, 2012, 7:25 pm #1

Hi ladies,

I just had a phone consult with my RE and he recommended that I try the Sher Protocol for my next attempt at IVF (I previously did the Schuyler protocol and had 2 follicles responding so converted to IUI). Has anyone tried this protocol? He mentioned being on BCP for 2 weeks and later a low dose of Lupron combined with (I assume) high stims.

Thanks so much!

Erin
Erin

August 2nd, 2012, 8:01 pm #2

But, I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Obviously, each of us comes at these protocol advice questions from the point of view of what we've done w/ our own IF treatment. I'm no different, so I'll just briefly share my experience. For my first protocol, I was put on a similar regimen to yours- high stims and lupron. I got 4 eggs (but it took 18 days of stimming to get there!), 2 fertilized and I transferred a 5-cell and a 3-cell. There's not a lot of success w/ embryos under 6 cells at day 3, and it didn't work. I did another high stim cycle for the next round, this time at C.CRM w/ an "everything but the kitchen sink" protocol. Again, another epic fail w/ 0 transferable embryos. Then I switched to my 3rd clinic (C.ornell) and completed 2 low stim/MDL protocols w/ a combined total of 3 embryos greater than 6-cells to transfer, and found success.

I'm sharing all of that b/c for me, I wish I would have gone to low stim sooner after seeing how poorly I did w/ that first cycle. If I would have stayed with that 1st RE (or the 2nd for that matter) they would have kept throwing high stims at me, and I have no doubt I wouldn't be where I am today. It's hard to go against your RE's advice. Everyone is different and you may in fact do great with the protocol your RE is proposing (and there are definitely women on this board who have had success w/ high stims), but I just wanted to share my experience as something to think about. Wishing you lots of luck!

August 2nd, 2012, 8:51 pm #3

Hi ladies,

I just had a phone consult with my RE and he recommended that I try the Sher Protocol for my next attempt at IVF (I previously did the Schuyler protocol and had 2 follicles responding so converted to IUI). Has anyone tried this protocol? He mentioned being on BCP for 2 weeks and later a low dose of Lupron combined with (I assume) high stims.

Thanks so much!
I used LA10-EV2 with some changes including the addition of HGH.
http://atrioofmiracles.blogspot.com/201 ... tocol.html
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

August 2nd, 2012, 9:40 pm #4

But, I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Obviously, each of us comes at these protocol advice questions from the point of view of what we've done w/ our own IF treatment. I'm no different, so I'll just briefly share my experience. For my first protocol, I was put on a similar regimen to yours- high stims and lupron. I got 4 eggs (but it took 18 days of stimming to get there!), 2 fertilized and I transferred a 5-cell and a 3-cell. There's not a lot of success w/ embryos under 6 cells at day 3, and it didn't work. I did another high stim cycle for the next round, this time at C.CRM w/ an "everything but the kitchen sink" protocol. Again, another epic fail w/ 0 transferable embryos. Then I switched to my 3rd clinic (C.ornell) and completed 2 low stim/MDL protocols w/ a combined total of 3 embryos greater than 6-cells to transfer, and found success.

I'm sharing all of that b/c for me, I wish I would have gone to low stim sooner after seeing how poorly I did w/ that first cycle. If I would have stayed with that 1st RE (or the 2nd for that matter) they would have kept throwing high stims at me, and I have no doubt I wouldn't be where I am today. It's hard to go against your RE's advice. Everyone is different and you may in fact do great with the protocol your RE is proposing (and there are definitely women on this board who have had success w/ high stims), but I just wanted to share my experience as something to think about. Wishing you lots of luck!
The RE still said that the SHER protocol would be his recommended next attempt. I think that for now, I will go with what he says and attempt this protocol but if it is a bust, I will absolutely push for a low stim protocol. I so agree with you about it being hard to go against my RE's advice. He appears very open to things but I will probably follow what he says for the time being.

Thanks so much for your response, Erin!

August 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm #5

Great!! Thanks so much for this, Alli! n/t

Erin
Erin

August 2nd, 2012, 10:08 pm #6

The RE still said that the SHER protocol would be his recommended next attempt. I think that for now, I will go with what he says and attempt this protocol but if it is a bust, I will absolutely push for a low stim protocol. I so agree with you about it being hard to go against my RE's advice. He appears very open to things but I will probably follow what he says for the time being.

You should absolutely do whatever you're most comfortable with. As I've said before, it's a bit of a crap shoot and this is only your second cycle (really your second attempt at your first cycle!). Glad you're thinking about low stims if this attempt doesn't go as planned, but I hope it works and will be wishing you lots of luck!

Nancy
Nancy

August 2nd, 2012, 10:14 pm #7

Hi,

I recently talked to Dr. Braverman and he wanted to put me on a similar protocol (BCP, lupron, then stims and add in HGH). Do you know what the purpose of the HGH is, and how does it help? I forgot to ask him this when I talked to him.

I am also torn between trying a high stim approach vs. sticking with my mini-stim approach at Cooper. I have seen a lot of people say lower stims worked better, yet others say that they had no problem with high stim. I have never ever been bale to produce more than 2 follicles, and from my experience with IVF, chances are they were probably empty follicles anyway (at least in my 2 IVF attempts, I had empty follicle both time and low follicle counts). In the end, I believe quality is more important than quality, but in my case I am struggling to get just one that comes out!

Nancy

Nancy
Nancy

August 2nd, 2012, 10:18 pm #8

Hi,
One thing to keep in mind with low stims, is that you might not produce many follicles. I know you just canceled your IVF because you wanted more follicles, so its very possible with low-stim you might make only the same number or even less. Would you be okay with this? Although I have seen people have better response with lower stims (but not me!!! I have a hard time making more than 1, although I have never tried anything higher than 300). Like Erin said, its all a crap shoot and you really dont know until you try. I wish there was a cut and dry answer for all of us, it would make things a lot easier wouldnt it?
Many hugs,
Nancy

August 3rd, 2012, 12:06 am #9

If things were cut and dry. I am really struggling with so much of this being unknown until you try. It's too bad that so much money, time, emotions, etc. get invested in this process.

Anyways, I will probably trust my RE and give high stims another shot.

Thanks so much, Nancy! Hugs back to you!

Erin
Erin

August 3rd, 2012, 12:15 am #10

Hi,
One thing to keep in mind with low stims, is that you might not produce many follicles. I know you just canceled your IVF because you wanted more follicles, so its very possible with low-stim you might make only the same number or even less. Would you be okay with this? Although I have seen people have better response with lower stims (but not me!!! I have a hard time making more than 1, although I have never tried anything higher than 300). Like Erin said, its all a crap shoot and you really dont know until you try. I wish there was a cut and dry answer for all of us, it would make things a lot easier wouldnt it?
Many hugs,
Nancy
Here was my rundown:

high stim #1: 4 eggs 50% fert
high stim #2: 1 egg, 0% fert (thanks C.CRM...)
low/mod stim #1 (cycle #3): 5 eggs, 100% fert
low/mod stim #2 (cycle #4): 3 eggs, 100% fert

So, as I say, everyone is different and it is definitely a crap shoot but at least for me the high stims did not help me get more eggs. Ultimately though, you really do have to do whatever you think is best since you never know what will happen and Nancy is absolutely right that there is no cut and dry answer. Really hoping this next cycle is your winning one BrewersFan!