Really liked Davis, but should I keep Check appt?

Really liked Davis, but should I keep Check appt?

Erin
Erin

November 10th, 2011, 3:01 am #1

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if I could get some advice... I've posted on here a couple of times, but here is my history- I am 33yo, highest FSH=18, AMH=0.1, 2 failed IVF cycles, no IUIs (likely blocked tubes). I just had a consult with Dr. Davis at Cornell and really liked him. He seemed compassionate and intelligent and was the first RE ever not to suggest that I go straight to DE. The weird thing was, he suggested we try a low stim cycle. I didn't even realize he did low stim, but he said they've been using it with some DOR patients for the past year and a half with good success. I was already really interested in low stim, so I was glad to hear it. The thing is, I have an appt scheduled with Check next week. I know Check is the king of low stim, but I'm concerned about some things I've read about the office being disorganized and the lack of monitoring on Sundays since I believe big reasons for the failure of my last cycle involved disorganization and them having me skip a day of monitoring (my LH was way up the next day). If Check was local, it would be a no-brainer to at least meet with him, but it's a 5.5+hr drive each way and involves time off work... I should also mention that I have a phone consult with Dr. Tortoriello next week as well (which I'm likely to keep since it's on a Saturday and I don't have to go anywhere) and I have insurance that covers me at any of these places. Does anyone have any advice for me? Would you keep the appt or cancel? Thanks so much for listening!

B.
B.

November 10th, 2011, 6:23 am #2

Price and low stim are the huge considerations with Dr. Check. It's very interesting that Dr. Davis is now saying low stim as well. It sounds like you have good options all around!

Erin
Erin

November 10th, 2011, 2:29 pm #3

Thanks B.! My insurance covers everything except for appointments with Dr. Davis himself, but I'm told that is really just the initial consult and we already paid for that. I am very fortunate (and we pay high premiums every month) to have good insurance. I'm still not sure if it makes sense to still go consult with Check. We've been leaving the dog with my parents so much lately, and traveling all over the place (it was 4+ hours each way to NYC- we live in Boston) and my husband has a new job he's taking off time from... But what if Check is the guy? Not sure what to do...

Erin
Erin

November 10th, 2011, 2:30 pm #4

Oops- meant "I do" not "It does" :)

melly
melly

November 10th, 2011, 2:54 pm #5

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if I could get some advice... I've posted on here a couple of times, but here is my history- I am 33yo, highest FSH=18, AMH=0.1, 2 failed IVF cycles, no IUIs (likely blocked tubes). I just had a consult with Dr. Davis at Cornell and really liked him. He seemed compassionate and intelligent and was the first RE ever not to suggest that I go straight to DE. The weird thing was, he suggested we try a low stim cycle. I didn't even realize he did low stim, but he said they've been using it with some DOR patients for the past year and a half with good success. I was already really interested in low stim, so I was glad to hear it. The thing is, I have an appt scheduled with Check next week. I know Check is the king of low stim, but I'm concerned about some things I've read about the office being disorganized and the lack of monitoring on Sundays since I believe big reasons for the failure of my last cycle involved disorganization and them having me skip a day of monitoring (my LH was way up the next day). If Check was local, it would be a no-brainer to at least meet with him, but it's a 5.5+hr drive each way and involves time off work... I should also mention that I have a phone consult with Dr. Tortoriello next week as well (which I'm likely to keep since it's on a Saturday and I don't have to go anywhere) and I have insurance that covers me at any of these places. Does anyone have any advice for me? Would you keep the appt or cancel? Thanks so much for listening!
Even though I haven't found a success with him yet, I would suggest you to give him ( Dr.D)a try. I tried the other two as well because of the reason you said i couldn't do dr.Check. Dr.T sorry to others no offend but I didn't have good experince with him at all. I tried his LA6 protocol which I had the worst outcome whatsovever. Also because of BCP since this May I haven't had a good cycle at all. and I couldn't cycle at Cornell. Now waiting to ovulate and cycle at Cornell again. I really like Dr.Davis.... he is very smart and I like Cornell too. Yes it is factory type of organization but all the doctors are good. Yes they don't have too much time to answer all your questions but be fast and ask all your question try to be on top of cycle.
GOOD LUCK

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

November 10th, 2011, 4:35 pm #6

First of all, I think it's great that you have insurance for all three doctors. I think that Dr. Davis enjoys an amazing reputatuon as a High FSH doctor and he would be a great choice. I'm also very excited to hear that Dr. Davis has been using low stim protocols as I think that this will help a lot of women. I just wanted to comment about Dr. T. I have also been on his LA6E2V protocol..twice...and it has been an amazing protocol for me. I am currently pregnant with this protocol at the age of 44 and 10 months. I have no idea if I will get my take home baby as of yet, but still, I am pregnant. In fact, this is the third time I have gotten pregnant with this protocol. I would say that how someone responds to a particular protocol is very much dependent on the person so I would not base a decision upon that. Also..Dr. T has individual protocols for each person. He has also started doing low stim. I also think that if you are looking for personalized attention that he is teh way to go as he does each and every u/s, ER and ET himself. Unheard of elsewhere.

As for Dr. Check, I guess if you have insurance, I would start with either Dr. Davis or Dr. T as if you were to max out on your insurance, you could always go to Dr. Check later and pay out of pocket which would be cheaper. On the other hand, as good as Dr. Davis and Dr. T are, Dr. Check is IMHO the master of low stim protocols and has successfully worked with people with very high FSH. Both Dr. Davis and Dr. T are relative newbies when it comes to low stim protocols as compared to Check.

BabyDance
BabyDance

November 10th, 2011, 6:01 pm #7

Hi Guys,
So you are out of town for all of these docs? It really depends on your personality, frankly, IMHO. I was a wreck not talking to a doctor at all, which happens with Check. I find that really unsettling. Dr. T does every ultrasound and you speak with him every visit. I think Dr. Davis is pretty available too. So I think it's between the two of them, and can't really lean you one way or the other, other then to tell you I love Dr. T, and he's gotten me the best response with the same AMH as you. Cornell got me nowhere, but I wasn't with Davis. I think I would have done better there if I were with him. My mistake. Keep us posted what you decide. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Actually, in terms of money, I'd consider Dr. T's EZ IVF, a lot cheaper then Cornell and you will get the same response because of your AMH, likely. Your age is good, you should succeed in time. Good luck.

Erin
Erin

November 10th, 2011, 6:31 pm #8

Thanks BD! I truly hope you're right about being successful, at least eventually. I am indeed OOT for any of these guys, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no one good enough with high FSH to stay in MA. I should mention, my AFC is 8 and I made 6 follicles (4 of good size) from the right side only last cycle, so maybe a little better than my AMH would indicate. I also know that I ovulate from the left (I did this month per u/s at Dr. D's, and it had 5 resting follies at one point) but it doesn't seem to want to do anything for me when I stim... I'm hoping it will change it's mind eventually... I will definitely keep my Dr. T phone appt as I'd really like to hear his opinion, and I don't have to go anywhere so my DH doesn't have to take off from his new job. I'm so glad you like Dr. T and got a good response. As I mentioned, my last cycle was a disaster- I wound up with essentially nothing I believe d/t their miscommunication and lackadaisical attitude towards my cycle (and this from a generally organized office), so I am going on my next RE like white on rice. For that reason, I'm not sure Check is right for me. BUT, they obviously have great success with us DORers and he is "the guy" for low stim, so who knows? It's never easy, is it?!

Erin
Erin

November 10th, 2011, 6:39 pm #9

First of all, I think it's great that you have insurance for all three doctors. I think that Dr. Davis enjoys an amazing reputatuon as a High FSH doctor and he would be a great choice. I'm also very excited to hear that Dr. Davis has been using low stim protocols as I think that this will help a lot of women. I just wanted to comment about Dr. T. I have also been on his LA6E2V protocol..twice...and it has been an amazing protocol for me. I am currently pregnant with this protocol at the age of 44 and 10 months. I have no idea if I will get my take home baby as of yet, but still, I am pregnant. In fact, this is the third time I have gotten pregnant with this protocol. I would say that how someone responds to a particular protocol is very much dependent on the person so I would not base a decision upon that. Also..Dr. T has individual protocols for each person. He has also started doing low stim. I also think that if you are looking for personalized attention that he is teh way to go as he does each and every u/s, ER and ET himself. Unheard of elsewhere.

As for Dr. Check, I guess if you have insurance, I would start with either Dr. Davis or Dr. T as if you were to max out on your insurance, you could always go to Dr. Check later and pay out of pocket which would be cheaper. On the other hand, as good as Dr. Davis and Dr. T are, Dr. Check is IMHO the master of low stim protocols and has successfully worked with people with very high FSH. Both Dr. Davis and Dr. T are relative newbies when it comes to low stim protocols as compared to Check.
Dee- Congratulations! It is so wonderful that you found success. I definitely agree that there is no "one size fits all" for protocols, so it is hard to compare based on that alone. What I can compare is the way people feel they were treated at each place, which I feel is really important. I do really like that Dr. T does all his own procedures as I believe that might have made a big difference in my last cycle. I will definitely keep my phone appt with him, but that's an easier decision than with Check since I don't have to travel and my DH doesn't have to take even more time off. In any case, thanks so much for sharing your experience and congrats again!

Erin
Erin

November 10th, 2011, 6:47 pm #10

Even though I haven't found a success with him yet, I would suggest you to give him ( Dr.D)a try. I tried the other two as well because of the reason you said i couldn't do dr.Check. Dr.T sorry to others no offend but I didn't have good experince with him at all. I tried his LA6 protocol which I had the worst outcome whatsovever. Also because of BCP since this May I haven't had a good cycle at all. and I couldn't cycle at Cornell. Now waiting to ovulate and cycle at Cornell again. I really like Dr.Davis.... he is very smart and I like Cornell too. Yes it is factory type of organization but all the doctors are good. Yes they don't have too much time to answer all your questions but be fast and ask all your question try to be on top of cycle.
GOOD LUCK
I'm happy to hear you had such a good experience with Dr. D. I obviously really liked him too, and he actually took a lot of time with us at our consult (an hour and 10 minutes, plus an exam/ultrasound). He talks kind-of fast (literally) but he did slow down to answer all two pages of my questions (!) and assured me that he would be available as much as he possibly could during cycle, especially given the complexity of my situation (I have a weird cyst and it's difficult to monitor me, amongst the other issues that go with high FSH in the first place...). I will definitely be on top of my cycle no matter where I go. Thanks so much for the GL- I definitely need it! Good luck with your next cycle as well!