Question for Check ladies - blood/ultrasound package

Question for Check ladies - blood/ultrasound package

jnoels
jnoels

August 4th, 2011, 4:15 pm #1

After some insurance haggling, it has become clear that we are going to be self-pay in this already super fun process. Woo-hoo!

Was talking with Check's billing dept. and she explained to me the "packages" you can purchase for bloods and ultrasounds. She explained that a round of bloods (E2, LH, the works) plus an ultrasound counts as 2 services.

My question for you guys: How many times in a cycle do you generally go in for both bloods and ultrasound? 3? (CD 2-3, just before ovulation, and after?) When you go in for a beta, do they also test for LH, FSH, E2, etc? Basically wondering if, at the end of a cycle, would you be using a full "service" for that?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 4th, 2011, 4:31 pm #2

Using their package, bloods count as one "service", it doesn't matter if it is just an HCG beta, they usually run all bloods since it is the same price for you.

I was told that one full package (16 services) lasts for about one IVF cycle. The half package of 8 services is good for FETs since they don't require as many appointments, 8 is just right for FET.

Cee
Cee

August 4th, 2011, 4:34 pm #3

After some insurance haggling, it has become clear that we are going to be self-pay in this already super fun process. Woo-hoo!

Was talking with Check's billing dept. and she explained to me the "packages" you can purchase for bloods and ultrasounds. She explained that a round of bloods (E2, LH, the works) plus an ultrasound counts as 2 services.

My question for you guys: How many times in a cycle do you generally go in for both bloods and ultrasound? 3? (CD 2-3, just before ovulation, and after?) When you go in for a beta, do they also test for LH, FSH, E2, etc? Basically wondering if, at the end of a cycle, would you be using a full "service" for that?

Thanks!
so I don't know if that makes a difference in how much they send you, but they usually monitor the heck out of me. I've gone as much as 6 times before ovulation and then twice after (once for b/w & lining check and then the beta).

jnoels
jnoels

August 4th, 2011, 4:36 pm #4

Thanks!
I'm natural, not IVF (yet). Does that matter?

jnoels
jnoels

August 4th, 2011, 4:40 pm #5

so I don't know if that makes a difference in how much they send you, but they usually monitor the heck out of me. I've gone as much as 6 times before ovulation and then twice after (once for b/w & lining check and then the beta).
are you natural or IVF? I went in three times before ovulation this month, and I'm trying to get an idea of how typical that is.

I like how closely they monitor, just hoping the more they learn about the way my cycle works, maybe we can cut out a few visits. Wishful thinking?

August 4th, 2011, 5:00 pm #6

Thanks!
We do the packages - for a natural cycle I've used about an 1/2 pkg but not necessarily. The billing dept has been really great . . . I keep the pack on a rolling basis and when I'm out I renew. If I use 2 post the pack they'll just add that to the next pkg. All your b/w on a natural cycle (4) is included as 1. And sometimes in a natural all you do is bw. We are also self pay and we set up an ING acct for fertility that we pay into on a monthly basis (like we are paying a bill) so if I am on a break it still accrues. It helps to off set the cost for those b/w and u/s. Hope this helps!

Also too I will say I hate dealing with the funding and it's one way DH feels like he is doing something. He often calls the billing dept and uses debit/credit on the phone with them. We've never had a problem!

Cee
Cee

August 4th, 2011, 5:50 pm #7

are you natural or IVF? I went in three times before ovulation this month, and I'm trying to get an idea of how typical that is.

I like how closely they monitor, just hoping the more they learn about the way my cycle works, maybe we can cut out a few visits. Wishful thinking?
Natural with IUI nt

August 5th, 2011, 9:00 am #8

Thanks!
On a natural cycle, I have actually gone in more than medicated cycles. However, in order to cut down on services, you could go in later. For example, you could start going in around day 8 unless you have really high FSH and you need estinyl to bring it down. If you need estinyl, then I would go in around CD2 - 3.

jnoels
jnoels

August 5th, 2011, 12:56 pm #9

Thanks!
Thanks, ladies! Very helpful.