Question about Ovulation

Question about Ovulation

January 24th, 2012, 4:01 pm #1

I apologize if this is a stupid question or one that has been asked many times before...

I have an FSH level of 21. My cycles are usually 28 days with ovulation happening around day 14 or 15. After all of the stress I have endured the past 2 weeks, I was shocked to see that I am ovulating on day 15 again (per the smiley face on the Clearblue test).

Is it normal to still ovulate regularly even though I have high FSH?

Thanks so much for any information!

kris
kris

January 24th, 2012, 4:10 pm #2

When I first landed in an RE's office with an FSH of 18, that very cycle I got pregnant without any stims at all, just u/s monitoring and TI. Unfortunately, I had an early miscarriage but it certainly goes to show you you can still ovulate! I'm sure some other experienced ladies here would say the same, and even speak of success despite a high FSH. I don't think it necessarily means you have an ovulation problem, maybe just less quantity than others (I guess that might also depend on age).

smrc
smrc

January 24th, 2012, 4:33 pm #3

I apologize if this is a stupid question or one that has been asked many times before...

I have an FSH level of 21. My cycles are usually 28 days with ovulation happening around day 14 or 15. After all of the stress I have endured the past 2 weeks, I was shocked to see that I am ovulating on day 15 again (per the smiley face on the Clearblue test).

ovulate regularly/"properly" despite FSH in the 20s, and I also have good E2 levels, etc. at the time of ovulation. Sometimes I do ovulate too early, but FSH most likely speaks to the quality of my follicle.

SMRC

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

January 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm #4

My FSH is usually around 17 and I O regularly. My cycles have been a bit wonky though and can vary from 20 days to 38 days. On a natural cycle this month, I O'd on Cd10. My E2 levels at O are always fine.

January 24th, 2012, 5:16 pm #5

Thanks for your responses.

So is it safe to say that we are still releasing an egg every month but it is likely of poor quality?

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

January 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm #6

High FSH is not supposed to say anything about the quality of the egg- just that you won't get a lot of eggs with stims.

Quality of the egg is most directly related to age. The older you are, the higher the chance that the egg is no good.

Also, the egg could be totally good but you had a bad lining that month, thick CM that sperm can't penetrate to fertilize the egg etc. Lots of variables for why it doesn't stick.

January 24th, 2012, 6:19 pm #7

Mrs. McIrish,

My doctor said that I have less than 1/2 a percent chance per month of conceiving naturally since I have high FSH. Do you think this would actually be higher since I am actually ovulating regularly?

Sorry for all of these questions - this is all very new to me and trying to wrap my head around everything.

Thanks so much!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

January 24th, 2012, 6:31 pm #8

It's a tough call...especially with specific percentages! Remind me of your age, FSH/AFC/ AMH and do you have any MFI or other issues (endo, blocked tubes etc).

I was told by my last RE(who I am no longer seeing) that I had less than 5% chance of getting pg with IVF and that it was essentially the same percentage of getting pg naturally (I only got 2 eggs with IVF so I can understand why it is similar percentages). But with little tweaks from Check (such as mucinex, estrace, p4, IUI in case of murky CM etc) I feel like I have a little extra chance each month. You never know what the missing piece will be and I think DOR ladies need extra attention in that regard and mainstream RE's don't want to take the time to do that. Will I be successful? Don't know... I try not to think of the percentages and just do what I can do to better the odds.

January 24th, 2012, 6:38 pm #9

My FSH is 21 and AMH is less than .16 (at 36 years old). I do not have any other structural issues, etc.

Thanks for the information!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 24th, 2012, 6:54 pm #10

I was always very regular with my cycles and ovulation n/t