Progesterone level right after ovulation (m/c ment)

Progesterone level right after ovulation (m/c ment)

mel
mel

January 30th, 2012, 10:43 pm #1

At my consult with my RE last week, he did an u/s to see where I was at in my cycle, since I had a one hour(!) AF this cycle. (At first I attributed it to my first AF since my m/c, but now think it may be b/c the DHEA is messing with my hormones.)I thought I already ovulated, but wasn't certain b/c the OPK's were all over the place. During the u/s he said my lining was at a 6, so we should see follicles, which he did not. And I said I think I may have ovulated, and he thought maybe he saw a corpeus luteum. He said we could confirm with b/w. Well, I think I may have just ovulated maybe the day of or day before I saw him. My P4 came back at 2.0, which he says did indicate that I just ovulated. I didn't question him on this, as I know I should have, but I thought P4 after ovulation had to be above 5 to indicate ovulation did occur? Is it possible that I could have just ovulated, which is why the P4 is so low? And if I'm not on progesterone and I'm already 5 or 6 dpo, is it too late to start taking P4? I have prometrium, but don't want to further mess up my cycle by taking it midway through the luteal phase.

FYI...I'm not really being monitored by him, just happened to have an u/s done during my follow-up appt after my m/c. He is not testing my P4 again. I'm not seeing him for another 3 months (after DHEA therapy.)

Erin
Erin

January 30th, 2012, 10:53 pm #2

Hi mel- I've had my prog tested the day of or day after ovulation for the last 2 months and each time it was a high 1-point-something. I was told that was normal for right after ovulation. C.ornell counts anything over 1 as positive for ovulation. That seems a little low, but that's what they've told me. So, according to what I've been told, you're normal if you just ovulated. I also don't think it's too late to start the p4 support- you just don't want to take it beyond a negative beta at around 14dpo so that your period won't be delayed further. Good luck!

January 30th, 2012, 11:05 pm #3

At my consult with my RE last week, he did an u/s to see where I was at in my cycle, since I had a one hour(!) AF this cycle. (At first I attributed it to my first AF since my m/c, but now think it may be b/c the DHEA is messing with my hormones.)I thought I already ovulated, but wasn't certain b/c the OPK's were all over the place. During the u/s he said my lining was at a 6, so we should see follicles, which he did not. And I said I think I may have ovulated, and he thought maybe he saw a corpeus luteum. He said we could confirm with b/w. Well, I think I may have just ovulated maybe the day of or day before I saw him. My P4 came back at 2.0, which he says did indicate that I just ovulated. I didn't question him on this, as I know I should have, but I thought P4 after ovulation had to be above 5 to indicate ovulation did occur? Is it possible that I could have just ovulated, which is why the P4 is so low? And if I'm not on progesterone and I'm already 5 or 6 dpo, is it too late to start taking P4? I have prometrium, but don't want to further mess up my cycle by taking it midway through the luteal phase.

FYI...I'm not really being monitored by him, just happened to have an u/s done during my follow-up appt after my m/c. He is not testing my P4 again. I'm not seeing him for another 3 months (after DHEA therapy.)
Several possibilities...

1) you could have been in the middle of ovulating... in that case - BD, BD, BD...

2) you ovulated, but it wasn't a strong ovulation...

Over 5 is a number they aim for for a "good/strong" ovulation....

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 30th, 2012, 11:14 pm #4

I too had some issues trying to figure out if I actually ovulated or not because I kept getting +OPKs, and AF was nowhere to be seen. (I had just started taking DHEA, but attributed my issue to a recent surgery-now I am not so sure!). My OPKs, like yours, were all over the place, and then they stayed positive for about 25 days in a row !! And still AF wasn't arriving. They took my P4 level around CD 16 and it was 2.something, and my LH was 31, and they said "See, you just ovulated." But AF never came, and my BBT temps never went up. And I kept getting positive OPKs. In vain i asked for another P4 and LH test, this time my P4 was still 2. something, and my LH was 61 (was probably CD 36 or so)!!! I ended up getting AF about 5-6 days later...but, when I asked the Doctor, she said they consider anything over 2 a sign of ovulation. I still don't know if I really ovulated, and my positive OPKs finally subsided a few days before AF. And things have been more or less normal since. I had two series of EWCM, and after the 2nd round of EWCM my temps went up just slightly. About 12 days later AF came. So I will never know if I really did or not, but I too was suprised when they said anything over 2 was ovulation.

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 30th, 2012, 11:15 pm #5

They actually said anything over 2 is what you see "around the time of ovulation"...

mel
mel

January 30th, 2012, 11:42 pm #6

Thank you all...you have made me feel a lot better about this. What does it say that I trust you ladies more than my RE? Hmmmm....

Thanks again!

mel
mel

January 30th, 2012, 11:45 pm #7

I too had some issues trying to figure out if I actually ovulated or not because I kept getting +OPKs, and AF was nowhere to be seen. (I had just started taking DHEA, but attributed my issue to a recent surgery-now I am not so sure!). My OPKs, like yours, were all over the place, and then they stayed positive for about 25 days in a row !! And still AF wasn't arriving. They took my P4 level around CD 16 and it was 2.something, and my LH was 31, and they said "See, you just ovulated." But AF never came, and my BBT temps never went up. And I kept getting positive OPKs. In vain i asked for another P4 and LH test, this time my P4 was still 2. something, and my LH was 61 (was probably CD 36 or so)!!! I ended up getting AF about 5-6 days later...but, when I asked the Doctor, she said they consider anything over 2 a sign of ovulation. I still don't know if I really ovulated, and my positive OPKs finally subsided a few days before AF. And things have been more or less normal since. I had two series of EWCM, and after the 2nd round of EWCM my temps went up just slightly. About 12 days later AF came. So I will never know if I really did or not, but I too was suprised when they said anything over 2 was ovulation.
Yes, I stopped testing with the OPK's b/c they were making me nutty with the results. I wonder if the DHEA could be at all to blame???

What dosage of DHEA are you taking? Are you still currently taking it? I cut my dosage from 75mg to 25mg, but am considering saying goodbye to it altogether. Not sure if it's doing more harm than good.

Laura
Laura

January 31st, 2012, 1:39 am #8

I never really got a strong positive with the test line darker than the control, but I would have "positive" ones for about 4-5 days in a row. Because our hormones are all messed up, I think our LH jumps higher faster, but it doesn't necessarily mean ovulation.

My p4 was tested at 5 during my successful cycle, but that was up to 2 dpo. I didn't use OPK that cycle, go figure.

January 31st, 2012, 6:04 pm #9

RE office just called me, my progesterone was taken yesterday, day 15 in my cycle and came back 2.6, she said I DEFINITELY ovulated. I was using OPK and got a + on day 13, 14 and 15 and today is day 16 and i got a + AGAIN. also, i use Fertility Friend to temp but my temp didnt rise THAT much today...yesterday it was 97.7 today 98.1. So I was not sure if I had. I am going to trust the blood test and what the dr says. Temping and the OPKs are not always 100% accurate...

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 31st, 2012, 8:06 pm #10

Yes, I stopped testing with the OPK's b/c they were making me nutty with the results. I wonder if the DHEA could be at all to blame???

What dosage of DHEA are you taking? Are you still currently taking it? I cut my dosage from 75mg to 25mg, but am considering saying goodbye to it altogether. Not sure if it's doing more harm than good.
About 4 weeks ago! I was taking 25mg/3 times a day. With the exception of the crazy cycle after starting it (with the 25 +OPKS), and the one right after it (LP of only 8 days), everything has been more or less "normal". That was back in Sept. I did gain 15 lbs, and also got acne in the beginning and on/off since. I noticed when I stopped DHEA the acne hasn't come back. Anna also experienced weight gain and acne...(see post below re: DHEA)

Prior to DHEA, I had some cycles where the OPKs were "off"...like 3 days in a row, once I had 8 in a row! But generally, it would be just one day of +OPKs. I do think that with hormonal issues, your LH can just be off, I know the older you get, the more this is an issue...