Problem with cycle length and BBT's

Problem with cycle length and BBT's

Jen
Jen

February 28th, 2012, 6:34 pm #1

I'm begining to feel a little worried about how the IUI meds are affecting my cycle. One thing I was happy was in my corner when all of the IF stuff started is that my cycles have always been regular (within the 25-30 day range and typically at about 26-28). With my last IUI, I had a 25 day cycle and my acupuncturist noted my luteal phase was "too short." Although it was 13 days, I think what she noticed was my BBT temps dropping around 10 days past ovulation. AF for this cycle came a day early and blew right through the progesterone suppositories (I was told progesterone could delay things).

For this second IUI, I was way ahead of the game and they had to do the IUI on CD10, and my temps went up nicely for about the first week after, and then again began to drop and have continued to go down hill. I'm only on CD21 today, but I had some spotting (which I don't normally get) and I'm worried this will turn into AF. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?? I know there was the stress of putting our cat to sleep, but that wasn't there for the first IUI. I haven't had anyone mention luteal phase defects, but suddenly that seems to be showing up???? I thought that the extra progesterone from the suppositories would also help keep things elevated (even if artificially), but that doesn't seem to be happening.

February 28th, 2012, 6:39 pm #2

Maybe you need to take a higher dose of progesterone?

minka
minka

February 28th, 2012, 7:25 pm #3

What kind of Progesterone are you taking, are they the suppositories? If so, what dose? Also, quality... I have noticed that different pharmacies have differing "quality" of the suspension cream/wax that is used for the suppositories. Cheap quality = melts really fast and leaks out like a liquid, so it doesn't stay put. Good quality = thicker, creamier quality after it melts and stays put for a long time.

So, it could be you need a higher dose, or it could be that you need a better quality suppository. I can recommend the place where I order mine from, it is K.ubat Compounding Pharmacy in Omaha, NE (look them up online). You would have to call them and tell them you want to transfer your prescription. I think they charge $3 to ship and it arrives 3-4 business days later.

I also recommend like PP said to get your progesterone levels checked. You could either have 7dpo (peak) or 9dpo checked. Good luck!

Jen
Jen

February 28th, 2012, 7:26 pm #4

Maybe you need to take a higher dose of progesterone?
that, too. Although the one time I had my progesterone level tested (which was a few months ago)they said it was OK. I suppose that could vary??

Jen
Jen

February 28th, 2012, 7:31 pm #5

What kind of Progesterone are you taking, are they the suppositories? If so, what dose? Also, quality... I have noticed that different pharmacies have differing "quality" of the suspension cream/wax that is used for the suppositories. Cheap quality = melts really fast and leaks out like a liquid, so it doesn't stay put. Good quality = thicker, creamier quality after it melts and stays put for a long time.

So, it could be you need a higher dose, or it could be that you need a better quality suppository. I can recommend the place where I order mine from, it is K.ubat Compounding Pharmacy in Omaha, NE (look them up online). You would have to call them and tell them you want to transfer your prescription. I think they charge $3 to ship and it arrives 3-4 business days later.

I also recommend like PP said to get your progesterone levels checked. You could either have 7dpo (peak) or 9dpo checked. Good luck!
is that I seemed to be fine before I started the IUI's. No one had any worries about my progesterone even on its own without the suppositories. I'm wondering if it's getting messed up with diet changes/herbs, meds etc. I've been doing in the past four months. My progesterone level was taken before I started all of this.

I have been using suppositories from Freedom Pharmacy. I have to pay out of pocket because my insurance won't cover the compounded type (I think?), which is what M.ayo wanted me to use. They seem to be more like what you described with being "creamy." I usually have what seems like excess cervical mucus from using them.

minka
minka

February 28th, 2012, 7:33 pm #6

that, too. Although the one time I had my progesterone level tested (which was a few months ago)they said it was OK. I suppose that could vary??
Do you know what cycle day they tested it on? n/t

minka
minka

February 28th, 2012, 7:33 pm #7

is that I seemed to be fine before I started the IUI's. No one had any worries about my progesterone even on its own without the suppositories. I'm wondering if it's getting messed up with diet changes/herbs, meds etc. I've been doing in the past four months. My progesterone level was taken before I started all of this.

I have been using suppositories from Freedom Pharmacy. I have to pay out of pocket because my insurance won't cover the compounded type (I think?), which is what M.ayo wanted me to use. They seem to be more like what you described with being "creamy." I usually have what seems like excess cervical mucus from using them.
I think Freedom is good (I think other ladies on the board here use them, too). What is your dose?

NancyMN
NancyMN

February 28th, 2012, 7:44 pm #8

Ideally, it shoudl be checked during every treatment cycle, 6-7DPO. Not all places do this though...just because your P4 was okay a few months ago doesn't mean it is now.

Also, and I don't know if this is in your case or not, but part of the reason "they" say lower-stim is better is because the follicular develompent isn't compromised as much, which results (for many, not all) in higher-quality eggs and follicular development, which means it doesn't compromise P4 as much. If the follicle doesn't develop properly, it can cause P4 problems. I don't know if this is what could be happening, but something to think about perhaps. When I saw Dr. Z.hang a few weeks ago, he even told me that based on what he saw with my BBT charts and follicular development on FSh injects, most doses of FSH would compromise the quality and in turn cause P4 problems and he would'nt use them with me (but I think that is semi-SOP for him anyway). I don't know who/what to believe about some of this stuff sometimes...everyone has varying opinions on this subject.

minka
minka

February 28th, 2012, 7:51 pm #9

I'm begining to feel a little worried about how the IUI meds are affecting my cycle. One thing I was happy was in my corner when all of the IF stuff started is that my cycles have always been regular (within the 25-30 day range and typically at about 26-28). With my last IUI, I had a 25 day cycle and my acupuncturist noted my luteal phase was "too short." Although it was 13 days, I think what she noticed was my BBT temps dropping around 10 days past ovulation. AF for this cycle came a day early and blew right through the progesterone suppositories (I was told progesterone could delay things).

For this second IUI, I was way ahead of the game and they had to do the IUI on CD10, and my temps went up nicely for about the first week after, and then again began to drop and have continued to go down hill. I'm only on CD21 today, but I had some spotting (which I don't normally get) and I'm worried this will turn into AF. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?? I know there was the stress of putting our cat to sleep, but that wasn't there for the first IUI. I haven't had anyone mention luteal phase defects, but suddenly that seems to be showing up???? I thought that the extra progesterone from the suppositories would also help keep things elevated (even if artificially), but that doesn't seem to be happening.
Ugh, I have a head cold so I am not thinking straight... I also wanted to comment about cycle length while on stims. My cycles have always been shorter than normal while on stims, because my O day is bumped up earlier. For example:

NATURAL
Cycle length: 28-31 days
Ovulation: CD18-19

Clomid 50mg CD3-7
Cycle length: 26-28 days
Ovulation: CD15-16

Follistim 150iu CD3-7
Cycle length: 23-25 days
Ovulation: CD10-11

So depending on the stims, O can be brought on much earlier than normal. However, the progesterone has been pretty consistent in keeping my Luteal phase 12-13 days (last month it was 14! woo-hoo!). How long were your luteal phases before doing IUIs compared to when you are doing IUIs?

NancyMN
NancyMN

February 28th, 2012, 7:52 pm #10

About spotting. I think this is fairly "normal" with IUI cycles. I did 4 IUIs, and spotted on two of them. You can spot either from the P4 suppositories, or from the IUI itself (sometimes there is blood that pools up and comes out later, hence it is brownish).

Also, about using K.u.b.a.t (or any pharmacy) for compounded P4 and your insurance...I always got mine from K.u.b.a.t as well without using insurance, and they are not too much more compared to my copay. About $35-$40, and my copay is $25. So even if you don't have insurance for the compounded P4, they aren't that much more expensive (I am not sure how much your copay is??) The ones from K.u.b.a.t are by far the best ones. They do not melt or leak out in the same way as the others I have tried.