Please read!!! Re: new board

Please read!!! Re: new board

Cee
Cee

April 2nd, 2011, 2:40 pm #1

Since the moderator of this board has been MIA for a couple of years and no one can get in touch with her, some of us were talking in a thread below about what our options are. I've contacted the network54 support people twice and have not had a response, so it was suggested that a new board be created where we can have an active moderator. I volunteered for the job but if anyone else wants to do it please speak up.

Kim actually created a new board already:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/674937/

So we could start to make the switch to that board if you guys would like. There wouldn't be restrictions as to who posts on this new board (no age or FSH discrimination), it would be the exact same as this board, just with an active mod.

You may have noticed that there are ads on the new board, we'd have to pay to get those off. I don't mind paying for it at first, but I'd ask for a little help as time goes on. I don't want to pay for it until I find out what you guys think, or what you want to do.

So, tell me: yes or no?

April 2nd, 2011, 2:44 pm #2

Hi....I'm just wondering if the only reason we need a new board is moderation? If that is the case, I would weigh the pros and cons. First...I would not want this board to become dormant and the current moderator decide to close it down as the search feature and old posts on this board are invaluable. Second...how would you get people and traffic to the new board? You can't reach the current moderator and as such, there will not be a link from this board. I guess my thought is that we have actually been pretty good at self-policing, and although it would be nice to have an active moderator, I just wonder what would be lost by going to a new board.

April 2nd, 2011, 2:48 pm #3

That's why I was asking, really - to get your opinions on it. The only reason we had talked about it was to have an active moderator.

We had talked about posting here periodically about the new board and just checking in once we made the move to direct anyone over to the new board.

April 2nd, 2011, 2:55 pm #4

Whatever works for you all is fine by me. I understand both sides of the issue. I know that Cee's attempted to contact N54 re: the board ownership and hasn't heard back. I've just posted this message on the N54 Admin board:

"Hello!

The moderator/owner of this boardhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/
has been MIA for years! I've been a member since 2006 and have only seen her once or twice. Can the ownership of the board be transferred to someone else? It's meant to be a safe haven and has experienced an increase in trolling as of late.

Thanks for any help you can give!"

The forum seems to be monitered and posts answered timely so I'll let you know what I hear.

April 2nd, 2011, 3:58 pm #5

Since the moderator of this board has been MIA for a couple of years and no one can get in touch with her, some of us were talking in a thread below about what our options are. I've contacted the network54 support people twice and have not had a response, so it was suggested that a new board be created where we can have an active moderator. I volunteered for the job but if anyone else wants to do it please speak up.

So we could start to make the switch to that board if you guys would like. There wouldn't be restrictions as to who posts on this new board (no age or FSH discrimination), it would be the exact same as this board, just with an active mod.

You may have noticed that there are ads on the new board, we'd have to pay to get those off. I don't mind paying for it at first, but I'd ask for a little help as time goes on. I don't want to pay for it until I find out what you guys think, or what you want to do.

I've realized that I'm totally fine with an unmoderated board. Days like the board brawls I wish there were a moderator, especially when I'm being attacked. But after the last brawl last week and the most recent posts this week...I feel like it's fine to have an unmoderated board and actually healthy. Yes, healthy. Many of us, myself included at times, have led secret lives regarding IF. Having this board has been able to provide an unreigned outlet of expression. Sometimes people have taken that freedom too far by most standards, by being so expressive that they are seen as insulting and hurtful. But after standing back for a few days from these heated issues...I say that's OK. Aside from the possible online troll here and there that says ridiculous things like "you need Paxil", persons who come on here and express themselves in ways that are perceived as hurtful or insulting or painful should not be excommunicated. They are simply projecting THEIR psychological and emotional status in this HELLISH journey. And if we are a truly supportive group - then we need to say, "how can WE, who are in a more peaceful, mature emotional place, help YOU, who are in a LIVING FRIGHTFUL hell?" "How can we help you to see things in a different light?" "How can we help you see a different point of view?"

Who (whether newbies, vets, 2nd IFers, DE prospects, single prospective parents, etc.) wants to be on a board that they have to walk on eggshells about expressing their feelings, when those feelings go against the tide? Does this board or the new board exsit ONLY for the purpose to come on here and cheer and learn about protocols or what drs. are good? Or is it a safe haven for all those things plus to come and express and vent and grow emotionally in this journey? _We can't live on a board that has fallen victim to groupthink_. All opinions should be welcomed; not just the ones "we" like.

Seeing how polarizing these issues that surface can be, I'd be afraid of a moderator not being able to be objective. I know that there are other boards with moderators (active and not so active) and they seem to work...but I have to say that this board is the ONLY one I have ever seen get so wicked nasty (although the DE board sometimes dips its toes). Thankfully, it doesn't happen often. And for that reason, my opinion is, leave things as is.

Wren
Wren

April 2nd, 2011, 4:11 pm #6

is... having lurked and read those trolls responses to new women who may not have known the "rules" or may be struggling a great deal... without a moderator it would require those who are on this board when they see a troll attack a newbie or someone else, to help her out. I couldn't imagine being a newbie and being attacked (not knowing it was a troll) and having no one come to my aid. It's confusing enough when a woman has to find a board like this because she's just been told (most likely) she'll never have kids. She would need to be defended if she gets attacked.

That's all I think... love how this board helped support and welcome me. You all are the greatest women I "know" and I deeply love and respect you.

KerriA
KerriA

April 2nd, 2011, 4:48 pm #7

I've realized that I'm totally fine with an unmoderated board. Days like the board brawls I wish there were a moderator, especially when I'm being attacked. But after the last brawl last week and the most recent posts this week...I feel like it's fine to have an unmoderated board and actually healthy. Yes, healthy. Many of us, myself included at times, have led secret lives regarding IF. Having this board has been able to provide an unreigned outlet of expression. Sometimes people have taken that freedom too far by most standards, by being so expressive that they are seen as insulting and hurtful. But after standing back for a few days from these heated issues...I say that's OK. Aside from the possible online troll here and there that says ridiculous things like "you need Paxil", persons who come on here and express themselves in ways that are perceived as hurtful or insulting or painful should not be excommunicated. They are simply projecting THEIR psychological and emotional status in this HELLISH journey. And if we are a truly supportive group - then we need to say, "how can WE, who are in a more peaceful, mature emotional place, help YOU, who are in a LIVING FRIGHTFUL hell?" "How can we help you to see things in a different light?" "How can we help you see a different point of view?"

Who (whether newbies, vets, 2nd IFers, DE prospects, single prospective parents, etc.) wants to be on a board that they have to walk on eggshells about expressing their feelings, when those feelings go against the tide? Does this board or the new board exsit ONLY for the purpose to come on here and cheer and learn about protocols or what drs. are good? Or is it a safe haven for all those things plus to come and express and vent and grow emotionally in this journey? _We can't live on a board that has fallen victim to groupthink_. All opinions should be welcomed; not just the ones "we" like.

Seeing how polarizing these issues that surface can be, I'd be afraid of a moderator not being able to be objective. I know that there are other boards with moderators (active and not so active) and they seem to work...but I have to say that this board is the ONLY one I have ever seen get so wicked nasty (although the DE board sometimes dips its toes). Thankfully, it doesn't happen often. And for that reason, my opinion is, leave things as is.
Also, agree with Dee's point - it would be a shame to lose the collective knowledge that is in the archives of this site. I know I use the search function often and find even posts from 5 years ago to be useful.

kerri

April 2nd, 2011, 5:30 pm #8

Whatever works for you all is fine by me. I understand both sides of the issue. I know that Cee's attempted to contact N54 re: the board ownership and hasn't heard back. I've just posted this message on the N54 Admin board:

"Hello!

The moderator/owner of this boardhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/
has been MIA for years! I've been a member since 2006 and have only seen her once or twice. Can the ownership of the board be transferred to someone else? It's meant to be a safe haven and has experienced an increase in trolling as of late.

Thanks for any help you can give!"

The forum seems to be monitered and posts answered timely so I'll let you know what I hear.
The response is 2 part.

1. You can ask N54 to assume the forum if it's been abandoned. Abandoned being defined as no login by the mod/owner for 6 months.

2. Create new board.

I've forwarded Robin's name and login to see if it can be determined when the last time she logged in.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Kim
Kim

April 2nd, 2011, 5:47 pm #9

I don't think you need a mod to police conversation even with the arguing. Arguing is healthy, and encourages broader thinking even if we don't want to admit it.

But a mod is needed to:

1. handle the task of paying for the board/keeping it ad free. I remember the hurdles the ladies went through to get it paid in Robin's absence.
2. Being able to edit the top - including: email, links, forum rules.
3. Delete spam - which isn't really a problem here.
4. Delete/close the occassional low blow post/poster.

So basically, someone to handle tech and light housekeeping issues!

April 2nd, 2011, 6:55 pm #10

I think this board could use some housekeeping abilities, but not at the expense of having it closed down and losing the years and years of posts that are so helpful. I was having high LH issues recently and found very helpful info. back to 2003. Not sure how far back it goes, but gosh, almost a decade of stuff. Also, we did reign ourselves in after this recent scuffle, and that is good. There is something that feels punishing when a thread gets locked or removed and when people get blocked from a board for whatever reason. Here we are free. I kinda like that! Also, for now the ads aren't on here.....so that is great! Those ads are tough to deal with, especially with talking pop ups at work! LOL!

xoxo, Tracy