Petrified of IVF

Petrified of IVF

August 21st, 2011, 12:32 pm #1

Hi ladies-

I have been so torn on whether I should do IVF my next cycle. I had 2 failed medicated IUIs so far. I am single and using donor sperm. My Re says b/c of my DOR, I only have a 25% chance that IVF will work. I am 36 so egg quality could go either way. I am just so scared of all the meds, appointments, retrieval, transfer, and not to mention, the money. Everything is out of pocket. I am so afraid of using up all my savings just to have failure. If I keep doing IUIs, I know my chances go down too. I am just so depressed over this and have been having serious anxiety problems. It is all I think about. I feel like I am having a crisis and dont know how to cope. I would get a therapist but I am spending so much money on everything. I booked an accupuncture app. too.

Is IVF painful? Doing this alone is so hard. I am really petrified. I dont know how I can take a BFN. How many times should a person do IVF?

I am just really scared.

Thanks for listening.

jnoels
jnoels

August 21st, 2011, 12:47 pm #2

Hi Tarababy,
First, I am so sorry that you are feeling so out of sorts right now, and I'm sorry that you - or anyone - is going through the stress and disappointment of IF.

I have not done IVF, and while it's not a treatment we're considering right now, it's certainly likely to be on the table in the future. I think the anxiety you feel around this decision is completely normal - it's a really big and expensive decision, with a lot of accompanying expectations and hopes.

I hear you when you say that this is out of pocket, and therefore you have to make choices about what to spend money on, but I would urge you to find a therapist, perhaps one that sees patients on a sliding scale or who takes your insurance. Are there RESOLVE groups in your area? That might be another place to go for support as well. Talking through this decision with a real live someone will hopefully help ease your anxiety think through how you handle the possible outcomes of IVF. I'm out of pocket, too, right now, and I really understand how hard the financial aspects of this process are.

Whatever you do, we are here for you. I'm sure another more experienced gal will be able to answer more of your questions.

Big Hugs.

MargieD
MargieD

August 21st, 2011, 12:56 pm #3

Hi ladies-

I have been so torn on whether I should do IVF my next cycle. I had 2 failed medicated IUIs so far. I am single and using donor sperm. My Re says b/c of my DOR, I only have a 25% chance that IVF will work. I am 36 so egg quality could go either way. I am just so scared of all the meds, appointments, retrieval, transfer, and not to mention, the money. Everything is out of pocket. I am so afraid of using up all my savings just to have failure. If I keep doing IUIs, I know my chances go down too. I am just so depressed over this and have been having serious anxiety problems. It is all I think about. I feel like I am having a crisis and dont know how to cope. I would get a therapist but I am spending so much money on everything. I booked an accupuncture app. too.

Is IVF painful? Doing this alone is so hard. I am really petrified. I dont know how I can take a BFN. How many times should a person do IVF?

I am just really scared.

Thanks for listening.
What is your FSH? Does it vary per month? If so - how?

What did you do for the medicated IUIs?

What protocol does he want to put you on for the IVF?

I have done both the IUI and the IVF and may be able to offer you some advice.

August 21st, 2011, 2:06 pm #4

I just turned 36. Highest FSH was 19, then 13, 9, 6.5. All other numbers are good like E2 and LH. My AMH is .23 which is the worst.

I had 2 IUIs with injectibles. Produced 1 follicle the first one and 2 the next using follistim and menopur. Pretty high doses for the 2nd IUI.

I am afraid I wont respond to higher meds and the cylce will be cancelled. He wants to do highest does of follistim and menopur.

I didnt know if I should try 2 more IUIs or go right to IVF. I hae a high chance that it will be converted to IUI anyway. My RE doesnt have much optimism and is making me feel like it probably wont work. I should find another RE but this one is so convenient for b/w and u/s every other day. I just dont know what to do.

I feel lost, helpless and confused. I am getting seriously depressed over this and its scaring me.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 21st, 2011, 2:14 pm #5

Hi ladies-

I am just really scared.

Thanks for listening.
so sorry... I think it is reasonable at your age to think you will have success with IUI, and if your tubes are clear, there is no reason to think you can't have success with IUI. IVF injectibles are similar to what you've done, you'd just be adding ER and ET and PIO, probably. It's more, but it's not that much more. It takes most people 4 or 5 IUI's to have success. I would suggest another 2 or 3 IUI"s while you do more prep for IVF, talking with us, maybe reading about it, and just letting it settle in more. Don't let the RE push you into it. It is entirely reasonable at your age for you to have success with IUI. Good luck and let us know what you do. xoox BD

MargieD
MargieD

August 21st, 2011, 2:42 pm #6

I just turned 36. Highest FSH was 19, then 13, 9, 6.5. All other numbers are good like E2 and LH. My AMH is .23 which is the worst.

I had 2 IUIs with injectibles. Produced 1 follicle the first one and 2 the next using follistim and menopur. Pretty high doses for the 2nd IUI.

I am afraid I wont respond to higher meds and the cylce will be cancelled. He wants to do highest does of follistim and menopur.

I didnt know if I should try 2 more IUIs or go right to IVF. I hae a high chance that it will be converted to IUI anyway. My RE doesnt have much optimism and is making me feel like it probably wont work. I should find another RE but this one is so convenient for b/w and u/s every other day. I just dont know what to do.

I feel lost, helpless and confused. I am getting seriously depressed over this and its scaring me.
What was your AFC on CD3?? Are you saying that you get mature eggs with the meds?

Do you know if you produce mature eggs without meds??

August 21st, 2011, 3:48 pm #7

My AFC has varied. Most of the time its 5-6, once it was 8-10. I produced 1 mature follicle the first cycle and 2 the second. My E2 was 900. I only tried 2 medicated IUIs so I dont know if I get an egg on my own. My RE wanted to be as aggressive as possible so we started with injections.

I am lost.

August 21st, 2011, 4:08 pm #8

Hi ladies-

I am just really scared.

Thanks for listening.
Tara, I would give IUI a couple more tries before I move onto IVF. I think at your age, you still have time to do a couple more IUIs before you move on, especially if you are having anxiety about moving to IVF.

MargieD
MargieD

August 21st, 2011, 4:56 pm #9

My AFC has varied. Most of the time its 5-6, once it was 8-10. I produced 1 mature follicle the first cycle and 2 the second. My E2 was 900. I only tried 2 medicated IUIs so I dont know if I get an egg on my own. My RE wanted to be as aggressive as possible so we started with injections.

I am lost.
Do you know if your AFC ranged with your FSH? If your FSH is low, thus your AFC is higher?? (I don't know if it's generally true, but I've noticed this with some people - especially when their numbers vary like yours do...)

Anyway - it is concerning that your RE is only able to get one or two mature follicle with injectibles especially with an AFC of 5-10. But then again - many REs do not want to produce too many mature eggs with IUIs.

Ask him about the protocol for the IVF. Compare that with the IUIs. Post it here on the board - list each protocol. We might be able to give you some advice on the protocols and whether we think he's being reasonable - if his idea of "aggressive" makes any sense.

If your E2 went up to 900 - that's pretty good - but it's concerning why he couldn't produce more follicles. With IVF - you want at least FOUR mature follicles - or more - especially with your AFC.

I wouldn't do the IVF unless your AFC is high and FSH low - as I think that would produce more mature follicles with the right protocol.

I understand you might not want to switch REs at this point because of the inconvenience... but it's not worth the grief if he doesn't have any confidence in you... and your stats aren't that bad... it's a matter of finding the right protocol...

You could also use Dr. Check as your RE and then use the local RE for your monitoring... that's another option...

August 21st, 2011, 10:18 pm #10

I am a low responder and that is why I cant produce more follicles. The second IUI, I had 2 mature and 2 13mm on trigger day. I guess if I stimmed longer, they would have matured? I am so confused. Hw wants to stick with the same protocol b/c I have responded with it. I know he wants me to take Estrace (or something like that) for a week before stims. The place is supposively reputable in my state. I just dont know. They dont seem to like high FSH. I have 2 orders of sperm already there so I feel like I have to use them at this point. For IVF, they want 2 orders. If I do IUI, I can do 2 more. But at $600 a pop for IUI, should I waste another $1200 or just try IVF for $9000? All I do is ponder this and its getting me really depressed. I dont have a partner so its very hard. I dont want to seem like I am complaining, but I just needed a place to vent. Thanks for all the responses.