ultrasound paper, nurse wrote

follicle

is this good or bad

wanted to ask her but she seemed not too into explaining the ultrasound to me

January 31st, 2012, 5:49 pm #2

it wont let me type it...will try again

it said 4 with a

January 31st, 2012, 5:50 pm #3

ok never mind. why wont this site let me type numbers and a greater than/less than sign?
it was a question about my follies.
annoying!!

January 31st, 2012, 5:59 pm #4

four less than eight
five less than six
vag u/s taken day 15
is this good or bad? is this an antral follicle count?
anyone?
thanks!!!

Sara Q
Sara Q

January 31st, 2012, 6:36 pm #5

It looks like an AFC to me! (But I haven't been to Cooper yet; I have my first consultation in late February.)

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 31st, 2012, 7:36 pm #6

four less than eight
five less than six
vag u/s taken day 15
is this good or bad? is this an antral follicle count?
anyone?
thanks!!!
From what I know about antrals, they are anything between 2-3mm and 10mm. Between 1-3mm are preantrals. I didn't know this until I went to Check's office and they discovered my AFC of zero. But, I was confused by the way they "count" the follicles, which is different than at my clinic. They count them by starting with the biggest follicle, and then counting how many that size or less you have on each side (e.g. 5 under 8mm)? So I was confused when I got my report...it was something like 3 under 3mm, 2 under 3mm. Which they told me were all preantrals (and hence my panic about having zero AFC which I posted about below). So, in your case, since they counted something as high as 8 and 6, some of them are definitely antrals. But it seems like they don't make a distinction how many of each type (antrals vs. preantrals) you have??

Not sure if this helps or confused matters! But, what I read out of it is that at least some of those are definitely antrals, and some might be preantrals.

January 31st, 2012, 8:22 pm #7

totally confused. LOL. but thanks!! i'll put it on my search for list..LOL

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 31st, 2012, 8:43 pm #8

"four less than eight
five less than six "

Based on your numbrs, I think what they are saying is that you have 4 follicles less than 8mm in one, and 5 follicles less than 6mm in the other. I have never seen any clinic count them this way. Antrals are between 2-10mm, and preantrals are between 1-2 (more or less). So your numbers probably include both antrals and preantrals. It seems like a fairly good count!! Maybe I have totally confused you even more. Sorry!

January 31st, 2012, 8:50 pm #9

oh i am ALWAYS confused, dont worry...lololol.....this is still all so new to me.

all i got out of her was 'you have some immature follicles" when i asked her if i have any eggs left. whatever that means.

i was trying to ask the nurse who did the u/s but she was a little scary....sort of stern. i asked if i ovulated and she didnt answer me so i just shut up, lol. meant to ask dr check. on the way home, i thought of 25 questions i should've asked while there. my head always spins in these consults.

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 31st, 2012, 9:51 pm #10

After I left too I had a million questions...discussion sparks more questions, but sometimes you don't think of them until later. I think this forum is great for getting many questions answered. Everyone here is so smart and there is so much collective experience, it truly is amazing and a lifesaver!