No cycle in in 7 months... is there still hope?

No cycle in in 7 months... is there still hope?

March 9th, 2012, 1:55 am #1

I have a 7 year old daughter and was diagnosed w/ high FSH back about 5 years ago while TTC our 2nd child. We tried IVF back then but I had a poor response and the cycle ended up converted to IUI to which we received a BFN. Since then my cycles have pretty much become obsolete. Over the summer I attempted to bring one on myself w/ the use of OTC progesterone cream and was FLOORED when AF arrived a couple of weeks after I had started that. Since then, however, AF has been non-existent once again. I'm only 34 and DH has expressed interest in exploring IVF again. My issue is my poor response 5 years ago and lack of periods since. Aside from the summer, I haven't had a period in about a year.

I hear talk about this Dr. Check ... do you think he would work with someone like me? Is it even worth attempting at this point? i feel so old reproductively and thought DH and i were on the same page w/ regard to this. i want to have another baby desperately but am not prepared to go down that road again... especially since i don't even get my period anymore.

sigh

just looking for some insight from those of you who might have been there done that...

thanks ladies.

MargieD
MargieD

March 9th, 2012, 2:36 am #2

Not sure of all of the details about your situation, but I do know if you decide to go to Dr. C - he won't screw around. He'll tell you if it's worth it or not. He also prefers to do natural cycles over IVF. If you want to go straight IVF - you'll have to let him know.

He has helped women with FSH levels over 100+ get pregnant, but I'm not sure if they were having regular cycles.

You could give it a time frame - i.e. one year with Dr. Check or TTCing and then move on from that point.

March 9th, 2012, 2:41 am #3

thank you for responding! i don't want to go the IVF route again... that's why i attempted to bring on my cycle naturally over the summer w/ herbs and the progesterone cream. i guess my real question is, even though he helps women w/ extremely high FSH, do they still get AF or not? i mean, does the fact that i haven't had af consecutively in such a long time mean that i'm pretty much sh!t out of luck even w/ someone like Dr. Check? I had testing done last year for MS and the neurologist took into account my high fsh, lack of cycles, inability to conceive again on my own and said that i most likely suffered from my autoimmune system attacking my eggs. i'm feeling overwhelmed and lost with this and i haven't even really started with anything. if that makes any sense. anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Sara H
Sara H

March 9th, 2012, 2:56 am #4

I have a 7 year old daughter and was diagnosed w/ high FSH back about 5 years ago while TTC our 2nd child. We tried IVF back then but I had a poor response and the cycle ended up converted to IUI to which we received a BFN. Since then my cycles have pretty much become obsolete. Over the summer I attempted to bring one on myself w/ the use of OTC progesterone cream and was FLOORED when AF arrived a couple of weeks after I had started that. Since then, however, AF has been non-existent once again. I'm only 34 and DH has expressed interest in exploring IVF again. My issue is my poor response 5 years ago and lack of periods since. Aside from the summer, I haven't had a period in about a year.

I hear talk about this Dr. Check ... do you think he would work with someone like me? Is it even worth attempting at this point? i feel so old reproductively and thought DH and i were on the same page w/ regard to this. i want to have another baby desperately but am not prepared to go down that road again... especially since i don't even get my period anymore.

sigh

just looking for some insight from those of you who might have been there done that...

thanks ladies.
Will Dr. Check work with you? I'd bet yes but I can't really say, just an educated guess.

Is there hope? well, your age is such a benefit! But, I would go quickly, the longer you go without a regular cycle the longer it may take. May. You never know! And, a lack of cycle does not necessarily mean you are not ovulation.

Dr. Ch.eck won't can but are you doing daily temps? I really recommend them, if it works for you it can tell you all lot about your cycle. But, does not always work for everyone. It was a huge help for me! I used "fertility freind" online, very easy and good directions. Also, possibly get some cheap internet ovulation tests?

Since yours seems on the surface to be a hormone issue so if you can get to Coop.er (Dr. Check) he could be a great match, not to say that other Re.s would not be just as good.

Personally, my cycles were regular but my FSh at it's worst, got up to 53 so it is surprising that I was still getting AF at all... my cycles were just getting wonkey when I started with them. Dr. Che.ck got my FSH to normal and I had a natural pregnancy in 6 cycles (8 months but I took two months off). I am now 15 weeks pg. I had never had a BFP before and two other Dr.s booted me out the door! So... yes, I'm a fan!

Good luck to you and I'd say talk to an RE soon!

Sara H

PS- I am guessing you are new? Sorry if i am wrong but just in case here is our "Welcome" post with tips, hope it's helpful!

Hello!

I was 'new' here in September of '10 and put together some hints, beyond the guild lines listed on the main page, that I think are helpful! Probably stuff you know but I hope it helps!

Welcome!
Sara H.

1) When you have a general question use the "Search" on this site when you have a question (remember to push "date" so they are in order, recent to last, since you can sometimes get answers from 10 years ago!) Often I have my questions answered right there with no need to post!

2) We use a LOT of acronyms here that are hard to get your head around sometimes if you are new to it! Here are 2 sources: ( I have them book marked on my computer and I still use when I have questions!)

http://www.ivfconnections.com/forums/co ... 2781df2f22

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/acronyms.

3) You will notice in some posts that people are very careful to say in the message title when things involving children and pregnancy are mentioned. So, if at some point you are mentioning pregnancy (hopefully someday yours!) or whatever just put your topic and (PG mentioned) in the title, if you have a child and mention that please put (Child mentioned) so if someone is having a bad day and knows they just can't read about it today they are forewarned! Other "disclaimers" include (DE Mentioned) for donor egg, (Adopt Mentioned) for adoption, (M/C Mentioned) for miscarriage or (TMI!) when something is graphic or very very personal! Basically, anything that someone might rather be warned about before reading. Although we all share one thing in common, we all come from varied backgrounds so we try to be sensitive to that as much as possible.

4) We tend to be a more fact-based board so sometimes it's not all rainbows and hopeful news. We are totally supportive but also more factual/scientific than a lot of other boards. But, there is a LOT of knowledge here that can be so very helpful! Just remember, we are only speaking from our own experience and not giving medical advice. You know the old adage: You get what you paid for! Each person is very different, what works for one may well not, work for another, but it can be very helpful to get you on the right track.

5) When you need inspiration go peek at the "Pregnant...." board! You can cruise over to check on "friends" who have made it there or when you are feeling down... it's rather joyful to see ladies who have found success!

Good luck!

PS- On a note of person advice: I know it's very hard but try not to let yourself start down a path of "Why me?" We have all been there, absolutely! But if you start instead by saying, "OK, what am I going to do?" and try not to let the "why me?" get going you will find your path much much easier. There is no reason "why" any of us. This is cruddy and crappy and utterly unfair, all of it! But, it is also survivable, do-able and win-able! Just be open to many paths to being a parent and may the path you chose be easy! If you are able to work hard to keep a positive attitude it really helps!

As for me I did find success, as many of us have, after a long road! Two dr.s who kicked me out, three years of trying, a failed IVF and IUI and being in early menopause. For me it was two things: The right Dr. and, I strongly believe, that being positive helped... if not in helping me get PG then in helping me stay sane, kind and happily married though one of our toughest times! happy.gif

Hugs!
Sara H

Sara H
Sara H

March 9th, 2012, 3:06 am #5

thank you for responding! i don't want to go the IVF route again... that's why i attempted to bring on my cycle naturally over the summer w/ herbs and the progesterone cream. i guess my real question is, even though he helps women w/ extremely high FSH, do they still get AF or not? i mean, does the fact that i haven't had af consecutively in such a long time mean that i'm pretty much sh!t out of luck even w/ someone like Dr. Check? I had testing done last year for MS and the neurologist took into account my high fsh, lack of cycles, inability to conceive again on my own and said that i most likely suffered from my autoimmune system attacking my eggs. i'm feeling overwhelmed and lost with this and i haven't even really started with anything. if that makes any sense. anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
Again, no promises but I don't think so.

I think it's just the kind of case he likes!

Did you take birth control pills after your baby? They can really mess you up hormonally! But, the fact that you have had a child already it good news!

Good luck!
Sara H

Laura
Laura

March 9th, 2012, 3:33 am #6

No bcp's after our first... haven't been on anything like that for over 10 years now. i hope you're right w/ regard to Check... thank you for responding!

Kris
Kris

March 9th, 2012, 4:44 am #7

sigh

thanks ladies.
So sorry you're dealing with this! Very frustrating. Have you tried or considered acupuncture? It can be helpful for some in treating fertility issues, including lowering FSH, but also really helps regulating and balancing your hormones generally. It's especially helpful with regulating periods. Not all acupuncturists are created equal and it's best to go to someone who has considerable experience with infertility and women's health issues. But getting your periods regulated would be a first step, and personally, I like acupuncture because its point is to fix the root cause of imbalances.

May not be for everyone, of course, but worth looking into!

Not sure where you are -- if you're in the LA area, I have a great recommendation.

Ashley
Ashley

March 9th, 2012, 2:12 pm #8

Hi,

I just started with dr check . I don't have periods either just spotting on in a blue moon. Good luck ! I am feeling sick though this pof dx through everything off. I am not old me. D you have any symtoms?

mel
mel

March 9th, 2012, 4:23 pm #9

So sorry you're dealing with this! Very frustrating. Have you tried or considered acupuncture? It can be helpful for some in treating fertility issues, including lowering FSH, but also really helps regulating and balancing your hormones generally. It's especially helpful with regulating periods. Not all acupuncturists are created equal and it's best to go to someone who has considerable experience with infertility and women's health issues. But getting your periods regulated would be a first step, and personally, I like acupuncture because its point is to fix the root cause of imbalances.

May not be for everyone, of course, but worth looking into!

Not sure where you are -- if you're in the LA area, I have a great recommendation.
My cycles were totally irregular and I had gone 5-6 months without AF. After 6 weeks of acupuncture, I got my period. Acupuncture and herbs definitely helped me get my cycle back naturally.

Agree with Kris that if you go the TCM route, it should be with someone who specializes in infertility and women's health.

My acu is in LA too, so would be glad to share if you are in this area.

As previous posters have said, you have age on your side. Good luck!

March 9th, 2012, 4:27 pm #10

sigh

thanks ladies.
for Dr. C.heck and for trying TCM.

Your age is a big plus. While there may be some unlying thing going on with you that has stopped your cycles, at your age there may be a decent chance of re-setting your cycles.

If you are open to TCM, it is worth a try, but it may take time, so patience is important.

If you are open to getting frequent monitoring (b/w and/or u/s) and dealing with the hassles of doing out-of-town monitoring, Dr. C.heck might be able to help you.