Newbie with an FSH question

Newbie with an FSH question

August 31st, 2011, 3:00 pm #1

Hi there, 32 yo, started treatment for male factor. First month my hormone results were great - FSH was 7.8, E2 normal. Transvaginal sonogram revealed what my doc said was "excellent" ovarian reserve. Had a failed IUI, came back first day of period ( didn't realize I was supposed to come back day 2 or 3). FSH shot up to 10.8, e2 over 80...trying not to freak out. Could the fact that it was day 1 explain the spike??? Would a higher FSH negate the positive findings on ultrasound? Thanks in advance!!!!

bigboy
bigboy

August 31st, 2011, 3:16 pm #2

well the if the e2 was already over 80 on day 1, then it would have been even higher than that on day 2 or 3...the FSH might have been lower on day 2 or 3 but it would have been artifically surpressed by the high e2. what was your e2 when you had the FSH of 7.8? do you have a history of ovulating early?

August 31st, 2011, 3:25 pm #3

Thanks for your response! Definitely no history of ovulating early! Have been hypothyroid for over a decade. Always on minimal medicine to get me just under the threshold for normal (TH of 5). This new doc is a bit more aggressive, wants my TSH under 3, and I have seen an increase in regularity since increasing my Synthroid. But in anycase, my history has been long, irregular cycles.

Can't recall e2 the first time but it was normal.

Strange to note though that none of these levels were flagged on the lab report as being high. Could the lab just have a different assay? Or am I just being optimistic Thanks>

bigboy
bigboy

August 31st, 2011, 3:39 pm #4

have you talked to your actual RE about it? he might have something different to say. nurses dont always get it right when communicating what is normal and what is not.

August 31st, 2011, 3:45 pm #5

No, he is away. I just asked the nurse to fax which she did w.o commentary. Just noticed the jump and am anxious. RE will be back next week so I'll ask them. Trying not to freak out in meantime Thanks!

Alli
Alli

August 31st, 2011, 4:08 pm #6

Hi there, 32 yo, started treatment for male factor. First month my hormone results were great - FSH was 7.8, E2 normal. Transvaginal sonogram revealed what my doc said was "excellent" ovarian reserve. Had a failed IUI, came back first day of period ( didn't realize I was supposed to come back day 2 or 3). FSH shot up to 10.8, e2 over 80...trying not to freak out. Could the fact that it was day 1 explain the spike??? Would a higher FSH negate the positive findings on ultrasound? Thanks in advance!!!!
AFC and age are the most important I believe.

August 31st, 2011, 4:41 pm #7

Thanks, I don't know what AFC is? Is that antral follicle count? If so he did not give me exact number but said several times that I had an "excellent ovarian reserve" after my tv ultrasound....so maybe that does negate the high FSH? Thanks!

Alli
Alli

September 1st, 2011, 1:08 am #8

I'd get an exact number. Check this out:
http://www.advancedfertility.com/antralfollicles.htm

My RE def put more stock in AFC than FSH. Good news for you!

Sara H
Sara H

September 2nd, 2011, 5:46 pm #9

looks like you have gotten some great advice already and have plunged in but I wanted to add a welcome as well!

I am copying to you the unofficial "Welcome" post, I hope you find it helpful!

Good luck to you and, though you are very welcome here as long as you like, I hope you find success soon and your stay here is short!

All the best,
Sara H

Hello!

I was 'new' here last September and put together some hints, beyond the guild lines listed on the main page, that I think are helpful! Probably stuff you know but I hope it helps!

Welcome!
Sara H.

1) Use the "Search" on this site when you have a question (remember to push "date" so they are in order, recent to last, since you can sometimes get answers from 10 years ago!) Often I have my questions answered right there with no need to post!

2) We use a LOT of acronyms here that are hard to get your head around sometimes if you are new to it! Here are 2 sources:

http://www.ivfconnections.com/forums/co ... 2781df2f22

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/acronyms.

3) You will notice in some posts that people are very careful to say in the message title when things involving children and pregnancy are mentioned. So, if at some point you are mentioning pregnancy (hopefully someday yours!) or whatever just put your topic and (PG mentioned) in the title, if you have a child and mention that please put (Child mentioned) so if someone is having a bad day and knows they just can't read about it today they are forewarned! Other "disclaimers" include (DE Mentioned) for donor egg, (Adopt Mentioned) for adoption, (M/C Mentioned) for miscarriage. Although we all share one thing in common, we all come from varied backgrounds so we try to be sensitive to that as much as possible.

4) When you need inspiration go peek at the "Pregnant...." board! You can cruise over to check on "friends" who have made it there or when you are feeling down... it's rather joyful to see ladies who have found success!

Good luck!