New to forum...

New to forum...

August 23rd, 2011, 4:58 pm #1

Hey out there...

So after much denial...not wanting to admit to myself that I needed "help"....here I am.
Approximately 4 years ago I was diagnosed with POF. I have been through 4 fertility doctors. FOUR! I have done acupuncture (3 different acupuncturist), I have done ACT (Advanced Cell Training...google it), I have prayed, thought "positive"(ugh..the almighty power of "The Secret", "tried not to stress about it" and completely changed my diet. Every time I stop doing something and try something new I feel like I've made a mistake and regret changing my routine.
Recently, in a last ditch effort, I came upon a doctor in NY that found that giving women with high FSH levels or low egg reserve a DHEA supplement have had luck increasing chances of pregnancy. Why not...at this point, what do I have to lose?? I have been on the DHEA for about a month now and I just went for all of my blood work and testing (this is done after the 1st and 2nd month of being on the DHEA). Today I had my HSG (OUCH) and I have 1...O-N-E..follicle on my left ovary. I was also able to see some of my bloodwork results...my FSH...115.1(WTH). By far that is the highest it has EVER been. I guess I should wait and see what the doctor has to say when I consult with him next week before I get too upset but I am having those waves of hopelessness come over me again. Can IVF be done with only 1 follicle?? I just feel so.....empty. I have a wonderful, amazing, supportive husband. I am so fortunate. I feel guilty feeling "empty"...
To be continued.....

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 23rd, 2011, 6:56 pm #2

Hopefully you will get results if not donor egg is a wonderful option..

Cee
Cee

August 23rd, 2011, 6:56 pm #3

Hey out there...

So after much denial...not wanting to admit to myself that I needed "help"....here I am.
Approximately 4 years ago I was diagnosed with POF. I have been through 4 fertility doctors. FOUR! I have done acupuncture (3 different acupuncturist), I have done ACT (Advanced Cell Training...google it), I have prayed, thought "positive"(ugh..the almighty power of "The Secret", "tried not to stress about it" and completely changed my diet. Every time I stop doing something and try something new I feel like I've made a mistake and regret changing my routine.
Recently, in a last ditch effort, I came upon a doctor in NY that found that giving women with high FSH levels or low egg reserve a DHEA supplement have had luck increasing chances of pregnancy. Why not...at this point, what do I have to lose?? I have been on the DHEA for about a month now and I just went for all of my blood work and testing (this is done after the 1st and 2nd month of being on the DHEA). Today I had my HSG (OUCH) and I have 1...O-N-E..follicle on my left ovary. I was also able to see some of my bloodwork results...my FSH...115.1(WTH). By far that is the highest it has EVER been. I guess I should wait and see what the doctor has to say when I consult with him next week before I get too upset but I am having those waves of hopelessness come over me again. Can IVF be done with only 1 follicle?? I just feel so.....empty. I have a wonderful, amazing, supportive husband. I am so fortunate. I feel guilty feeling "empty"...
To be continued.....
Sorry you find yourself here but this board is great.

There are doctors in the states that will go to retrieval with few follicles - have you talked to your doctor about if he has a cutoff?

MargieD
MargieD

August 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm #4

Hey out there...

To be continued.....
You might want to research the effects on DHEA on this board. It has shown to lower AFC counts in some women. (Not sure what your AFC was before...)

Not sure if you know...Dr. Check has had success with women with FSH higher than yours.

Four years is a long time to be dealing with this diagnosis. (It's been six years for me...)

Anna
Anna

August 23rd, 2011, 7:37 pm #5

Hey out there...

To be continued.....
have you ever done any IVF??

Jamie
Jamie

August 23rd, 2011, 8:53 pm #6

Hey out there...

To be continued.....
Sorry to hear--I too went through four doctors, three traditional chinese medicine practitioners, mayan abdominal massage, chiropractor, energy work, hypnosis, plus five attempts at IVF to finally get one baby at age 39 (this was 3 years into my own journey). I tried DHEA and it was a nightmare--dropped my antral follicle count from 9 to 2, and I couldn't respond to stimulations, plus I started having hot flashes and felt menopausal. A very good TCM practitioner helped me clear my body, but you sound like me in your response. You may want to way back down your dosage--I had this on 50 mg. Good luck!

Sara H
Sara H

August 24th, 2011, 1:02 pm #7

Hey out there...

To be continued.....
looks like you have gotten some great advice already!

I am copying to you the unofficial "Welcome" post, I hope you find it helpful!

Good luck to you and, though you are very welcome here as long as you like, to some of us your numbers are not bad at all so I hope you find success soon and your stay here is short!

All the best,
Sara H

Hello!

I was 'new' here last September and put together some hints, beyond the guild lines listed on the main page, that I think are helpful! Probably stuff you know but I hope it helps!

Welcome!
Sara H.

1) Use the "Search" on this site when you have a question (remember to push "date" so they are in order, recent to last, since you can sometimes get answers from 10 years ago!) Often I have my questions answered right there with no need to post!

2) We use a LOT of acronyms here that are hard to get your head around sometimes if you are new to it! Here are 2 sources:

http://www.ivfconnections.com/forums/co ... 2781df2f22

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/acronyms.

3) You will notice in some posts that people are very careful to say in the message title when things involving children and pregnancy are mentioned. So, if at some point you are mentioning pregnancy (hopefully someday yours!) or whatever just put your topic and (PG mentioned) in the title, if you have a child and mention that please put (Child mentioned) so if someone is having a bad day and knows they just can't read about it today they are forewarned! Other "disclaimers" include (DE Mentioned) for donor egg, (Adopt Mentioned) for adoption, (M/C Mentioned) for miscarriage. Although we all share one thing in common, we all come from varied backgrounds so we try to be sensitive to that as much as possible.

4) When you need inspiration go peek at the "Pregnant...." board! You can cruise over to check on "friends" who have made it there or when you are feeling down... it's rather joyful to see ladies who have found success!

Good luck!

August 24th, 2011, 3:59 pm #8

Hopefully you will get results if not donor egg is a wonderful option..
Thank you..

August 24th, 2011, 4:00 pm #9

Sorry you find yourself here but this board is great.

There are doctors in the states that will go to retrieval with few follicles - have you talked to your doctor about if he has a cutoff?
Hello and thank you...no discussion yet. I will know more next week. I am hoping that he will be willing to take my 1 that I have!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 24th, 2011, 4:09 pm #10

You might want to research the effects on DHEA on this board. It has shown to lower AFC counts in some women. (Not sure what your AFC was before...)

Not sure if you know...Dr. Check has had success with women with FSH higher than yours.

Four years is a long time to be dealing with this diagnosis. (It's been six years for me...)
Hi! Dr. Check?? Where is he? Also, I have not educated myself (or have been educated) about AFC....not sure what my AFC number is...or if it has changed for that matter. I will need to make sure that I discuss this with my current MD. Thanks so much!