New RE Visit (warning: PG/ MC mentioned, Not a FSH Friendly doctor)

New RE Visit (warning: PG/ MC mentioned, Not a FSH Friendly doctor)

Tanya
Tanya

April 26th, 2011, 12:28 pm #1

So yesterday I met with a new prospective RE. My rationale was he had previously worked with Dr. Check as well as Dr. Gill at Houston Infertility and was one of the REs at my local clinic where I am currently being monitored as a patient of Dr. Check.
Talk about a downer. He said being monitored on a natural was a waste of time (my summation). Since I have a fairly consistent AF, of course I ovulate and the monitoring is doing nothing for me except wasting money. IVF would be a waste of time because I dont respond well to meds, I may as well do IUIs. I pushed the issue and he went right to the DE speech and then finally said if I wanted to do IVF he would but I would need at least 4 follicles to go to ER. He could clearly see if he looked at my chart, I consistently make 3 follicles every month. When I brought up the fact I did get PG with IVF (DR. Check) he said that my chance of MC is very high because of my high FSH. I tried getting his perspective on what high FSH had to do with once I got pregnant and didnt really get a straight answer other then bad egss blah blah

I asked if he had experience with using Estyinl and he said all it does it artificially suppress my FSH and he prefers using estrace. I told him I tried that in the luteual phase before and it didnt work; so he went back to the DE speech.
When I asked what he would use to stimulate me, he said clomid and injectables. I told him that I thought Clomid wasnt good for ladies with high FSH and he said he never heard of that.

I also asked if he would be willing to do a post-coliatel and he said it was outdated and I said well Dr. Check still uses the test and he said he would like to see a recent article where it still has any merit.

I then told him about Jamies success and that we are the same age and similar FSH and another person I knew of that had a great response with Dr. Gill; Kim from the over 40 board and he said those but be rare cases.

He asked what Dr. Check told me my chances were of success and I told him 18% TTC on my own with monitoring and he said he thought it was more like 10% take home baby.
The only good thing out of the appointment is that he agreed to do the SIS to look at my tubes since I cant have the HSG due to my iodine allergy. He told me to think about what he said and we would talk more when he does my SIS next week. I need to tread lightly with what I say to him because I dont want the local clinic to stop doing my monitoring. Im thinking I will just tell him that I need some time to think through everything he told me.

So needless to say I am staying with Dr. Check. Sorry for the long rambling post but I just had to vent Luckily my DH didnt seem too rattled by him and made the comment that he likes Dr. Check so much better.

Sara H.
Sara H.

April 26th, 2011, 1:32 pm #2

Sorry you had to go through that.

I would say, on the other hand, that if he feels this way that he is probably not the one who can help you, since he has not helped ladies like you before and is so negative. So, much better he be honest than take your money while not having any faith in you.

That said: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Again, I am so sorry you had that experience.

Hugs to you and good luck!

Sara H.

Cee
Cee

April 26th, 2011, 1:51 pm #3

So yesterday I met with a new prospective RE. My rationale was he had previously worked with Dr. Check as well as Dr. Gill at Houston Infertility and was one of the REs at my local clinic where I am currently being monitored as a patient of Dr. Check.
Talk about a downer. He said being monitored on a natural was a waste of time (my summation). Since I have a fairly consistent AF, of course I ovulate and the monitoring is doing nothing for me except wasting money. IVF would be a waste of time because I dont respond well to meds, I may as well do IUIs. I pushed the issue and he went right to the DE speech and then finally said if I wanted to do IVF he would but I would need at least 4 follicles to go to ER. He could clearly see if he looked at my chart, I consistently make 3 follicles every month. When I brought up the fact I did get PG with IVF (DR. Check) he said that my chance of MC is very high because of my high FSH. I tried getting his perspective on what high FSH had to do with once I got pregnant and didnt really get a straight answer other then bad egss blah blah

I asked if he had experience with using Estyinl and he said all it does it artificially suppress my FSH and he prefers using estrace. I told him I tried that in the luteual phase before and it didnt work; so he went back to the DE speech.
When I asked what he would use to stimulate me, he said clomid and injectables. I told him that I thought Clomid wasnt good for ladies with high FSH and he said he never heard of that.

I also asked if he would be willing to do a post-coliatel and he said it was outdated and I said well Dr. Check still uses the test and he said he would like to see a recent article where it still has any merit.

I then told him about Jamies success and that we are the same age and similar FSH and another person I knew of that had a great response with Dr. Gill; Kim from the over 40 board and he said those but be rare cases.

He asked what Dr. Check told me my chances were of success and I told him 18% TTC on my own with monitoring and he said he thought it was more like 10% take home baby.
The only good thing out of the appointment is that he agreed to do the SIS to look at my tubes since I cant have the HSG due to my iodine allergy. He told me to think about what he said and we would talk more when he does my SIS next week. I need to tread lightly with what I say to him because I dont want the local clinic to stop doing my monitoring. Im thinking I will just tell him that I need some time to think through everything he told me.

So needless to say I am staying with Dr. Check. Sorry for the long rambling post but I just had to vent Luckily my DH didnt seem too rattled by him and made the comment that he likes Dr. Check so much better.
Why can't doctors just be supportive and help?! I know it's their job to be realistic with us but at the same time, DO YOUR JOB!!! We're there because we have a problem, don't just throw in the towel, work with us to find a solution!!

Stick with Check - at least he's willing to TRY to solve the problem.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but at least now you know what you want as far as doctors go!

April 26th, 2011, 3:08 pm #4

ARGH!
I'm so sorry , but this guy is an idiot.

Okay so #1 He's so interested in research articles? How about these that show NO link between high FSH and miscarriage and/or poor egg quality:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19059944
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18178189
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17236407
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15016786
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12524065

It is astounding how little he knows!!

Now, the clomid issue is a different thing entirely...there isn't much recent published research that has demonstrated that clomid and IUI is ineffective. HOWEVER...what has been demonstrated (repeatedly) is that the IVF antagonist protocols and/or low stim protocols are the treatment of choice for poor responders. So the clomid IUI thing is really just odd, because that approach is considered antiquated for us high FSHers and no one out there seems to be recommending it anymore!!

The final thing that pisses me off here is the post-coital issue. I know why you want to get it done. It's because even if there is some small chance of natural success, you want to maximize those chances by ruling out all possible problems (like CM problems or hostile vaginal secretions, etc.). I think we all feel like this...that even if we are on a natural cycle, we still want to try our best to make it happen.

But for some effed up reason...these docs don't seem to want to help us very much.

Here's what makes me even more angry...let's say that I wanted to get triple F breast implants and all of the fat sucked out of my ass and put into my face. As long as I had the money, docs would be lining up to do the surgery. So why...please someone help me understand...why oh why is it so hard to find docs that will help us try to have a baby??????????

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 26th, 2011, 3:13 pm #5

so plastic surgeons can gamble with triple F implants without it being counted against them.

April 26th, 2011, 3:42 pm #6

Wow, then I am even more pissed off! n/t

BabyDance
BabyDance

April 26th, 2011, 3:48 pm #7

Sorry you had this experience, Tanya. I sure know how that feels. I have to say one thing, though. I do wonder how much advantage the natural cycle monitoring has over doing OPK's at home. I've been thinking about it a lot. I think the OPK's are a lot less stressful. I know Mrs. A had success with the monitoring, but I'd be really curious how often this happens. I don't want to discourage you at all from doing it, if you think it helps. It just seems to me a lot of success are natural or IVF in our category, but natural, I mean just OPK or not even OPK, just BD. Maybe it would be a good poll to take on the pregnancy board, to see how many of the natural pregnancies were monitored, or were they OPK'd. I may post this at some point. Good luck, whatever you do. I think Dr. Check is the man, even though I'm with Cornell know, I would go back to him, if needed. XoBD.

Tanya
Tanya

April 26th, 2011, 3:49 pm #8

Sorry you had to go through that.

I would say, on the other hand, that if he feels this way that he is probably not the one who can help you, since he has not helped ladies like you before and is so negative. So, much better he be honest than take your money while not having any faith in you.

That said: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Again, I am so sorry you had that experience.

Hugs to you and good luck!

Sara H.
Good Point about not pretending that he can help me only to take my money, I never thought of that. I just know that I cant work with a doctor who doesnt believe that he can help me.

Thank you for the response

Tanya
Tanya

April 26th, 2011, 3:50 pm #9

Why can't doctors just be supportive and help?! I know it's their job to be realistic with us but at the same time, DO YOUR JOB!!! We're there because we have a problem, don't just throw in the towel, work with us to find a solution!!

Stick with Check - at least he's willing to TRY to solve the problem.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but at least now you know what you want as far as doctors go!
You are right about Dr. Check trying to help. I felt like I would ruin their statistics if he treated me. When he said you need a minimum of 4 to go to transfer, I knew he was not willing to work with me.

Tanya
Tanya

April 26th, 2011, 3:56 pm #10

ARGH!
I'm so sorry , but this guy is an idiot.

Okay so #1 He's so interested in research articles? How about these that show NO link between high FSH and miscarriage and/or poor egg quality:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19059944
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18178189
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17236407
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15016786
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12524065

It is astounding how little he knows!!

Now, the clomid issue is a different thing entirely...there isn't much recent published research that has demonstrated that clomid and IUI is ineffective. HOWEVER...what has been demonstrated (repeatedly) is that the IVF antagonist protocols and/or low stim protocols are the treatment of choice for poor responders. So the clomid IUI thing is really just odd, because that approach is considered antiquated for us high FSHers and no one out there seems to be recommending it anymore!!

The final thing that pisses me off here is the post-coital issue. I know why you want to get it done. It's because even if there is some small chance of natural success, you want to maximize those chances by ruling out all possible problems (like CM problems or hostile vaginal secretions, etc.). I think we all feel like this...that even if we are on a natural cycle, we still want to try our best to make it happen.

But for some effed up reason...these docs don't seem to want to help us very much.

Here's what makes me even more angry...let's say that I wanted to get triple F breast implants and all of the fat sucked out of my ass and put into my face. As long as I had the money, docs would be lining up to do the surgery. So why...please someone help me understand...why oh why is it so hard to find docs that will help us try to have a baby??????????
Thank you for the articles. Maybe I should take them in when I go to get my SIS done next week.

I remember reading that Clomid is bad for high FSHers and can cause long term impacts but cant locate that information right now.
As far as the post-coital issue, I dont know where he was coming from. It is a simple test that can reveal so much. If my tubes are open, I dont have hostile CM, etc. then logic says I should be able to get pregnant. Especially considering my FSH is under control (which it is with the estyinl)

I never even thought of your analogy with plastic surgeons but you are absolutely right!! This makes me even more thankful that I found Dr. Check