"navigating cooper"

"navigating cooper"

teresa
teresa

January 23rd, 2012, 12:37 am #1

i hope everyone had a good weekend :0)

i was just on some of the other boards reading old posts. a few oldies came up with suggestions about asking the ladies on the board for tips on 'navigating cooper' because it can be 'very overwhelming'

i've read/am prepared about/for the first visit there and that it will be a very interesting experience...but is there anything else i should know? some of these older posts i've read were many years old and spoke about the nurses/staff being really bad at returning calls, that i'll probably never speak to dr c. heck again after initial consult..so, any tips anyone has would be great. (I am focusing on ALL the success stories vs the pet peeves about this clinic btw)

appointment is next week. wanted to point out too that it's late in the day...(i hope that's not a bad thing that it's so late in the day, meaning i'm hoping we won't be rushed out. i felt like this was the case with my last RE whose staff accidentally booked our IVF consult and someones ultrasound at the same time and DH and i werent 'allowed' to ask any questions or take notes about doing ivf because RE was rushing to give us the 411 and move on to other patient)

appreciate any tips..advice..anything. thank you!

AJ
AJ

January 23rd, 2012, 12:55 am #2

on a couple of your questions. I've never had a problem with the nurses calling back. If you leave a message before 4:30 their time, they will call you back the same day- it might be at 7:00, but you should get a call back. But, you might speak to a different nurse each time which can be a little frustrating.

Also, I've spoken to Ch.eck twice on the phone since my initial consult. You can schedule a phone callback with him through the front desk at no charge. He does these at night after he finishes with patients so again it might be late. The last callback I scheduled was within a week of when I called.

Some people feel that the staff is short with patients and unfriendly. Yes, they are short with you on the phone, but I think that's in part due to the volume of patients they are working with. When they are staying until all hours to return calls they make it short and to the point. I don't think they are unfriendly at all, just busy!!

Good luck with your appt!!

January 23rd, 2012, 1:10 am #3

i was just on some of the other boards reading old posts. a few oldies came up with suggestions about asking the ladies on the board for tips on 'navigating cooper' because it can be 'very overwhelming'

i've read/am prepared about/for the first visit there and that it will be a very interesting experience...but is there anything else i should know? some of these older posts i've read were many years old and spoke about the nurses/staff being really bad at returning calls, that i'll probably never speak to dr c. heck again after initial consult..so, any tips anyone has would be great. (I am focusing on ALL the success stories vs the pet peeves about this clinic btw)

appointment is next week. wanted to point out too that it's late in the day...(i hope that's not a bad thing that it's so late in the day, meaning i'm hoping we won't be rushed out. i felt like this was the case with my last RE whose staff accidentally booked our IVF consult and someones ultrasound at the same time and DH and i werent 'allowed' to ask any questions or take notes about doing ivf because RE was rushing to give us the 411 and move on to other patient)

I haven't spoken to Dr. Check since my initial consultation. However, I haven't really felt the need to yet. The nurses have always been able to answer all my questions. However, I know that I can request a call from Dr. Check if I'd like one. As far as the nurses/staff, I actually have found that they are really good about returning phone calls. I try to be very polite and I find that I'm treated the same way in return. Good luck!

AJ
AJ

January 23rd, 2012, 2:00 am #4

on a couple of your questions. I've never had a problem with the nurses calling back. If you leave a message before 4:30 their time, they will call you back the same day- it might be at 7:00, but you should get a call back. But, you might speak to a different nurse each time which can be a little frustrating.

Also, I've spoken to Ch.eck twice on the phone since my initial consult. You can schedule a phone callback with him through the front desk at no charge. He does these at night after he finishes with patients so again it might be late. The last callback I scheduled was within a week of when I called.

Some people feel that the staff is short with patients and unfriendly. Yes, they are short with you on the phone, but I think that's in part due to the volume of patients they are working with. When they are staying until all hours to return calls they make it short and to the point. I don't think they are unfriendly at all, just busy!!

Good luck with your appt!!
Sorry, the 4:30 time I referenced was from my old RE. I think the cut-off time for callbacks is noon. I've needed to leave messages after that and I just called the front desk and they either directed me to VM or took the message themselves. Regardless, I've never had an issue getting a call returned.

January 23rd, 2012, 2:15 am #5

1.Nancy is the head of IVF nurses, she is great. If u have any question and can't reach a doctor ask for her.

2. In case of emergency call emergency line directed by their answering system, an RE will call u back in 5 min.

3. The front desk is ur next bet, Kim at front desk is an angle. Twice I missed a call from a nurse and she directed me to them. Once she saw I was freaking out and she directed me to Dr Choe.

4. Dr Choe and Dr check have different opinions on cases, even Thu I wrote big and bold that I want Dr check to make my decisions, I got order from different re each time, but that worked out well so far.

5. Be on top of ur case and save all
ur results EACH time on a spread sheet. If u want ur history, there is a $30 charge and they only mail it u if ur out of town. It takes up to a week.

5. I got a blank sheet with check's sig and I marked the order my self each time, instead of them faxing me order every single time.

6. U will need a lots of faxing, I got the fax system that u can send and recieve fax from ur email. U get a phone # and it directs to yr email, its $10 a month, u can find cheaper ones. If u have an office job like me, it saves u LOTS of time. U don't want ur coworkers to know ur getting a vaginal UTZ TOMORROW if they sent u fax and ur not next to the machine. To me this is a must, I believe there r some free fax to email out there that u can only send 2 or 4 fax per day.

7. Have ur monitoring place give u the result and then u give them to cooper. Cooper will not call u or follow up in ur results, unless its the last couple of days of IVF. IF YOUR not the messenger u will never know if they got ur results. Also by the time they give u the result it could be as late as 8 pm and I personally can't wait that long to get the result. I have no patience.

Please excuse any typos, typed from my cell phone!!!

IVF #1...no fertilization
IVF #2...E2 drop, canceled
IVF #3...E2 drop, canceled
Gearing up for IVF #4

January 23rd, 2012, 2:16 am #6

above is me

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

January 23rd, 2012, 2:16 am #7

I've had no problems getting calls back from the nurses. I haven't scheduled a call back with Check yet. My suggestion on the call backs is to make sure you carry your cell phone with you at all times on days when you are getting a call back. If you take their call when they call you, it will be much easier than missing it/calling back.

Also, I've been fortunate that my local monitoring RE's office is good about sending in results timely. I had one incidence last week where Check's office said they didn't get the u/s. I nicely asked local place to re-fax (they said it had been faxed). Be as nice as you can to everyone and I think it helps get you the info you need.

So far, it has been easier than I expected with the OOT monitoring.

January 23rd, 2012, 4:50 am #8

as you said, focus on the successes and not the pet peeves.  Don't let the negativity get inside your head.  I know I was a freaked mess when I first started with Cooper and had all this anticipation for the worst and honestly, it could not have gone any smoother.  I know that some ladies have had some challenges but don't go into this thinking that that's what your experience will be like.
  • Be sure to call in your request for a callback by the deadline.  You can also fax in the request.  If you fax in the request, and you have a very specific question, write it down in large letters.  You may or may not get the answer in the callback, but you have a better chance at it, if you write it.</li>
  • Keep your cell phone attached to you.  It's always easier to receive the callback from the get go than to have it go to voicemail and start a chasing game.</li>
  • Be prepared with your questions BEFORE they call.  Yes, you are important and yes you are entitled to ask whatever questions you want on the fly, but try to be prepared ahead of time because the reality is that the nurses are making callbacks to a bunch of ladies.  And in between that they're coordinating results from OOT labs and clinics.</li>
  • I scheduled my callbacks with Dr. C.heck when I started my cycle and I scheduled it so that the callback would coincide with the end of the cycle so that I could review the cycle results and come up with a plan for the next cycle (assuming BFN).  If you wait until the last minute this may not be possible.</li>
  • something very important...the fax in numbers for the regular nurses is DIFFERENT than the fax in number for IVF nurses.  So if you switch from TI to IVF or vice versa, make sure that your clinic uses the correct fax number!!</li>
  • Find out ahead of time what your clinic (or lab) requires in terms of orders for b/w and u/s.  Do they need a new order EVERY visit?  If so, can you give it to them directly or must it come from Cooper?  Can they just use a "standing order" that is issued once and covers you for the whole cycle?</li>
  • Lastly, my personal experience is that the nurses are different people on the phone than they are in person.  In person it's one on one attention and care.  On the phone, it's down to business.  Don't take offense to it.</li>

Sara H
Sara H

January 23rd, 2012, 3:52 pm #9

I would add:

I, too, have not had a problem with call-backs when I got my request in on time! They have even called me back to say my blood work was not in yet, which I thought was really nice.

Unlike the other ladies: I DON'T answer the phone unless I have a question, personally. I write the question, as Mrs. A said, on the call back sheet and let them leave a message since I know they are in a big hurry (and I have a short phone message!) That way I can listen to it ten tens and write down the info. (I am really bad at hearing numbers on the phone so when they speed though the blood work I hate to as them to tell me again. Plus, that way when there were drug instructions I had them to re-listen to, to make sure I had it right!)

I know that Anna said that you should have the info sent to you... Personally I would only do that if they will send it to you AND Cooper directly. I want my info to get down there as fast as possible, not stop though me. I never had a problem with this. (Once you have a fax number just tell the local clinic you need the info faxed to TWO numbers and give them the two numbers. Hopefully they just won't ask!) THAT SAID: I was NOT technically a "out of town" person. I just had my blood work done out of town when it was possible to save me the 4 hours of driving.So, Anna knows much more than I do!

If you are leaving a pharmacy number or any phone number leave it twice and try to do it at the beginning, so it they need to hear it again they can and write it on the fax/call-back, too.

Think of the nurses talking in a "New York Minute". I have never found them rude but they are in an "efficient hurry", shall we say! I heard they make over 100 call-back a DAY! Wow! Also, though I never spoke with Dr.Ch.eck again after our first meeting (nor did I ask to) I heard him in the background on a number of calls, when I did answer my phone and ask questions, I heard him in the background. I think the best way to look at it is that you are signing on for his program and the nurses know what that is and how to handle it. I always feel well cared for!

It will seem complicated the first couple of times, and odd in this day and age that you are dealing with faxes and such but I would rather they save me money and stick with their system that works than to charge me more for fancy computers right now! But, it's kind of like the first week at University. Totally overwhelming for a moment and then within two weeks you are in the swing and can't remember why it was so confusing!

About the office: I say think of it this way... it's kind'a like stepping back into the 80's. But, in the 80's they knew that FSH was not an end of the road, just a hurtle! So, back to the 80's we go!

Don't worry about going late, I have never heard of anyone getting rushed out! Ever! It just means they won't get your blood work back that day, but it's OK. No, plan on being there a while... it's long but worth it! If you have time to kill there is a "WholeFoods" right across the road, good teas and coffee, a place to sit and good things to snack on. I recommend it!

Oh, driving in NJ, if you are not used to it, SUCKS! (Sorry, NJ-ers, it's true!) For some reason I don't quite know they hate people making left turns. So, often, you have to turn right to go left... If you have a gps USE IT and believe it, even when it tells you to go right to turn left. Odd but true!

When you go to get gas: There is a Wawa gas station right by the entrance to 95 North bound. It is he easiest one to get to and cheaper than the highway so FILL UP there!

Good luck and this will get easier!
Sara H

AJ
AJ

January 23rd, 2012, 4:09 pm #10

When we drove to my consult, whatever we used for directions- google maps, mapquest, I forget- totally gave us the wrong directions. The lady at the front desk even acknowledged this happens when I called in a panic totally lost and 5 minutes before my appt. I used the address on my paperwork and while it was a correct address, the route was wrong.

You might want to call and confirm the directions if you're not sure.