Mock Transfer at C.ooper?

Mock Transfer at C.ooper?

Sara Q
Sara Q

May 30th, 2012, 6:22 am #1

Hi Ladies,

For you out of town C.ooper ladies - did you have to do a "mock transfer?" They just sent me a letter that said I had to do one before my IVF cycle, which is scheduled for either next month or July....but I live on the West Coast and cannot afford (or emotionally) deal with flying to NJ just for this. Why didn't they do a mock transfer at our initial consult?! Granted it ended at 9pm at night and no one was there except for Che.ck at that point...but still. One of the main reasons we are going with Cooper is because of the affordable-ness. But I don't think it's worth it if we have to keep flying back and forth....Ugh.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation? Can the "waive" the mock transfer? I'm going to call the front desk as soon as they open, but am having trouble sleeping because of this.....ugh. I haven't missed IVF at all these past few months.

anna
anna

May 30th, 2012, 6:31 am #2

They never asked me to go there for mock transfer, that's strange...

carol
carol

May 30th, 2012, 1:16 pm #3

Hi Ladies,

For you out of town C.ooper ladies - did you have to do a "mock transfer?" They just sent me a letter that said I had to do one before my IVF cycle, which is scheduled for either next month or July....but I live on the West Coast and cannot afford (or emotionally) deal with flying to NJ just for this. Why didn't they do a mock transfer at our initial consult?! Granted it ended at 9pm at night and no one was there except for Che.ck at that point...but still. One of the main reasons we are going with Cooper is because of the affordable-ness. But I don't think it's worth it if we have to keep flying back and forth....Ugh.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation? Can the "waive" the mock transfer? I'm going to call the front desk as soon as they open, but am having trouble sleeping because of this.....ugh. I haven't missed IVF at all these past few months.
I went to schedule my mock and they didnt have any appointments available. They told me it was not a big deal if i didnt do it.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

May 30th, 2012, 2:05 pm #4

Hi Ladies,

They asked me for one as well back in February when they faxed me a list of blood tests that were outdated. I had already done 2 IVFs elsewhere and faxed them the sheets that showed the mock transfer dimensions. Have you done IVF before? If so, it should be in your records and they will take them. Another idea(if they really want it) is to ask your local place to do it. It is just a catheter measurement for placing the embies at ET. Not a big deal and no need to go to NJ for it.

Sara Q
Sara Q

May 30th, 2012, 3:50 pm #5

....and am now waiting on the callback. We'll see what they say. Hopefully I can just fax them the paperwork from my other (4!) IVFs......although not sure if I had a mock transfer done for the first three of these.

Thanks for your comments. They are extremely helpful and will give me a lot of leverage when I talk with the nurses. (i.e. my friend didn't have to have mock transfer.....lol)

Nancy
Nancy

May 30th, 2012, 8:25 pm #6

I was given the same sheet as you. They told me as long as I had one done locally or was okay...they also said i could do it while there. In the end I never did one !! They did ask me several times how my iuis went and they were smooth so they said it wasn't necessary so maybe that's why i never did one.

Nancy

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm #7

Hi Ladies,

i have never done ivf but the places i consulted with all of them required a mock transfer. you want to be absolutely sure the day of that everything is seamless. the mock transfer is a rehearsal and a good idea. things will be tense enough that day, its one less thing to worry about going in.
just my 2 cents-
good luck to you!

Sara Q
Sara Q

May 30th, 2012, 10:30 pm #8

...it's just not feasible at all unless they can do it a couple of days before retrieval. (Which may be a possibility, but we'll see as they don't want to disturb the lining either.) I'm waiting for the nurse to call me back so we'll see what she says.

We live on the West Coast and it's not at all possible or reasonable to go back and forth to NJ multiple times before the IVF, particularly considering we have to go to Mexico twice in the 6 weeks before and have exhausted a lot of our funds doing 4 prior IVFs......none of which required a mock transfer. (But hey, they didn't work either, so maybe that's a bad sign....LOL.)

If they didn't require Anna to do one before her IVF and she got pregnant, I'm okay with it. I've had 5 IUIs and 3 IVF transfers without any problem getting up the cervix, so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Erin
Erin

May 30th, 2012, 10:57 pm #9

But obviously that's not so much the case . For what it's worth, when I went down there and Dr. C wanted to start a cycle right then and there I don't think he did a mock (he did an internal exam, but I don't think there was a catheter involved). Doesn't sound like it should be a big deal. Nothing like another PITA scare to get your blood pumping though, huh? Hopefully you've already talked to them and it's all set by now. GL my peep!!!

Sara Q
Sara Q

May 31st, 2012, 12:04 am #10

Truthy lady - it's not like I haven't had an IVF.

I did talk to them briefly and they said that I didn't have to have one if I lived far away but that they would like me to send in the report from my previous mock transfers. Sounds reasonable to me. I would like to ask them if it's possible just to have the Dr's do a mock right before the retrieval if it's possible for the Dr. whose going to do the transfer to do it. (After searching on the archives here it seems like a lot of times they have different folks do the mock than do the transfer anyhow.)

I am still, however, having a lot of difficulty getting the Coop.er nurses to locate my blood work faxes from my local RE's office. Apparently they didn't get the fax the local office sent on Friday (the non-stat situation). And I called them everyday over the weekend, but there's no way to leave a message when they aren't there. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to do so.... So I had the local clinic fax it again this afternoon, this time faxing both ME and Coop.er. I got the fax, but never heard from Coo.per......and just called and the nurses are gone for the day.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong....or maybe it's that I haven't done IVF for such a long time or dealt with Coo.per before that I don't know how to do anything - don't know the routines.

Or it may just be that I'm also trying to write finish my dissertation and have less patience than I used to for IVF related stuff....Probably a little of both, right?

This may be an interesting few weeks. LOL.