MargieD

MargieD

Cee
Cee

June 30th, 2011, 7:01 pm #1

Hey, I saw your post on the pink board about the nurse at Cooper asking about you having a consultation. I just got my beta callback and spoke to Diane, and she basically told me the same thing. I've had 4 IUIs there, all unmedicated (except for estinyl/estrace and P4). I talked with Dr. Check last month and he told me to just stay on course and trust the process and I told her that, but I'm all confused now because it's like, who's running the show here? I mean, I had my consult with Dr. Check because I was frustrated because I haven't been feeling like we've had a good chance each cycle, and he tells me to just be patient and stay the course, and now his nurse is telling me it's time to move on?

Ugh.

I just wanted to reach out to you and tell you the same thing is going on with me. Have you decided what to do?

MargieD
MargieD

June 30th, 2011, 7:40 pm #2

Saw your post.... have to run... but promise to post again later... :-) n/t

bigboy
bigboy

June 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm #3

Hey, I saw your post on the pink board about the nurse at Cooper asking about you having a consultation. I just got my beta callback and spoke to Diane, and she basically told me the same thing. I've had 4 IUIs there, all unmedicated (except for estinyl/estrace and P4). I talked with Dr. Check last month and he told me to just stay on course and trust the process and I told her that, but I'm all confused now because it's like, who's running the show here? I mean, I had my consult with Dr. Check because I was frustrated because I haven't been feeling like we've had a good chance each cycle, and he tells me to just be patient and stay the course, and now his nurse is telling me it's time to move on?

Ugh.

I just wanted to reach out to you and tell you the same thing is going on with me. Have you decided what to do?
im sorry i just cant help it. im so sick of nurses saying/doing totally different things than the REs. wtf is up with the disconnect??? and it seems to occur everywhere.
anyways, im sorry for your frustrations.

MargieD
MargieD

July 1st, 2011, 1:28 am #4

Ugh.

Sorry for the delay in posting... busy day... and DH and I have had a couple of long talks about this...

I don't think it's so much that Dr. Check and the nurse aren't on the same page. When we talked to the nurse, it didn't sound like Dr. Check made a lot of notes that he had talked with us. I am actually GLAD that she was like this - to be honest. Dr. Check is my FOURTH RE. With REs #1 & #2 (same practice), they were so unorganized that in my three years of working with them - we tried just about everything but IVF and met each RE only once or twice. So... I am glad that the nurse is saying - "Ok - it's been this long... maybe it's time to re-evaluate where we really are with all of this..."

So... that's what DH and I did the last two days - re-evaluated everything...

When we talked with Dr. Check last month, we asked him specifically HOW LONG we needed to keep trying with the timed intercourse and he said about THREE months. Quite honestly, I think the natural cycles were a complete waste of time - especially with my blocked tube and LUF (follicles don't release). I think the last medicated cycle was the ONLY cycle that really gave me much of a chance. We thought it was fair to give the medicated cycles at least two more cycles.

However, we have also decided that we will schedule another callback with Dr. Check - just to see if there's any more "fine tuning" we can do to my cycles... I don't want to keep wasting cycles - if you know what I mean...

We ALSO have decided to schedule an appointment with RE #3. I have a DD from an IVF cycle with him. He pretty much gave up on me when he found out my FSH was high. He even admitted that my FSH was probably high when we conceived DD. We plan to go back to him and say - "hey - we've been trying this and that... would you be willing to try an IVF cycle with us but with only these meds??" Heck - we might even ask Dr. Check what protocol he would recommend if we go with IVF. We want to get our ducks in a row for an IVF cycle after two more cycles of trying medically/naturally with Dr. Check. If he's not receptive to the idea of experimenting - then we plan to find another RE. And you know setting up appointments with new REs take forever!

We're being aggressive - if you want to call it that - because of our experience conceiving DD. For her, we tried naturally on our own for two years and then we wasted three freaking years with RE #1 & #2 trying everything but the obvious things (i.e. progesterone!). We switched to RE #3 and he recommended that we'd go straight to IVF and DD was conceived then. Altogether - it took us five years for DD. If we knew better, we would have said - ok - RE #1, you didn't produce results within this time frame, we're moving on. All this stuff that I'm learning from the boards and from asking questions - I didn't know until TTC #2. Not to sound cocky, but we feel empowered to make the decisions we think we need to be making so we waste another five years for #2. Heck, seven years is too freaking long for all of this!

MargieD
MargieD

July 1st, 2011, 1:35 am #5

But we do think it'd be a lot less stressful to work with a local RE for the IVF cycle - particularly if we've had success in the past.

July 1st, 2011, 1:59 am #6

im sorry i just cant help it. im so sick of nurses saying/doing totally different things than the REs. wtf is up with the disconnect??? and it seems to occur everywhere.
anyways, im sorry for your frustrations.
Thanks bigboy n/t

Cee
Cee

July 1st, 2011, 1:45 pm #7

Sorry for the delay in posting... busy day... and DH and I have had a couple of long talks about this...

I don't think it's so much that Dr. Check and the nurse aren't on the same page. When we talked to the nurse, it didn't sound like Dr. Check made a lot of notes that he had talked with us. I am actually GLAD that she was like this - to be honest. Dr. Check is my FOURTH RE. With REs #1 & #2 (same practice), they were so unorganized that in my three years of working with them - we tried just about everything but IVF and met each RE only once or twice. So... I am glad that the nurse is saying - "Ok - it's been this long... maybe it's time to re-evaluate where we really are with all of this..."

So... that's what DH and I did the last two days - re-evaluated everything...

When we talked with Dr. Check last month, we asked him specifically HOW LONG we needed to keep trying with the timed intercourse and he said about THREE months. Quite honestly, I think the natural cycles were a complete waste of time - especially with my blocked tube and LUF (follicles don't release). I think the last medicated cycle was the ONLY cycle that really gave me much of a chance. We thought it was fair to give the medicated cycles at least two more cycles.

However, we have also decided that we will schedule another callback with Dr. Check - just to see if there's any more "fine tuning" we can do to my cycles... I don't want to keep wasting cycles - if you know what I mean...

We ALSO have decided to schedule an appointment with RE #3. I have a DD from an IVF cycle with him. He pretty much gave up on me when he found out my FSH was high. He even admitted that my FSH was probably high when we conceived DD. We plan to go back to him and say - "hey - we've been trying this and that... would you be willing to try an IVF cycle with us but with only these meds??" Heck - we might even ask Dr. Check what protocol he would recommend if we go with IVF. We want to get our ducks in a row for an IVF cycle after two more cycles of trying medically/naturally with Dr. Check. If he's not receptive to the idea of experimenting - then we plan to find another RE. And you know setting up appointments with new REs take forever!

We're being aggressive - if you want to call it that - because of our experience conceiving DD. For her, we tried naturally on our own for two years and then we wasted three freaking years with RE #1 & #2 trying everything but the obvious things (i.e. progesterone!). We switched to RE #3 and he recommended that we'd go straight to IVF and DD was conceived then. Altogether - it took us five years for DD. If we knew better, we would have said - ok - RE #1, you didn't produce results within this time frame, we're moving on. All this stuff that I'm learning from the boards and from asking questions - I didn't know until TTC #2. Not to sound cocky, but we feel empowered to make the decisions we think we need to be making so we waste another five years for #2. Heck, seven years is too freaking long for all of this!
I guess I just feel confused, because after talking with him last month, he said let's keep doing what we're doing and then the nurse said let's reevaluate. Just made me second-guess everything. Ugh. I have to do IUI at least because of MFI, Dr. Check doesn't think I need to do IVF at all, and in fact was pretty adamant against it. Didn't think it would be worth it.

I've had 4 IUIs since seeing Check - the first one I don't really think counts because it was the one I did there when I went for my consultation - upon examination, they discovered I was about to ovulate and we never were able to confirm release. Then my 3rd one was poorly timed. So I really only feel like 2 of them have been legitimate shots.

We've given ourselves until the end of the year with Check and then we're going to move on, probably to DE. I just want to feel like we've really given my OE a real shot and I don't feel like every cycle we're giving outselves the best chance.

MargieD
MargieD

July 1st, 2011, 4:03 pm #8

When we heard that phone call suggested that we'd schedule a consultation, it felt like everything was turned upside down. I mean - we had just talked to Dr. Check!!!! What's going on?!?!? Is there's something that they're not telling us?? How many times has that happened - when doctors don't disclose everything because it's either not important or they didn't think we'd understand it?? And likewise, he didn't think we needed IVF and that is still very hard for me to wrap my head around. I haven't even miscarried so I have no freaking clue if the egg and sperm are meeting.

DH was really cool about it. He felt that we finally got a good cycle and it was the furthest all four REs had taken us besides that one IVF cycle. He's being good, too, trying to talk it out with me, making sure I feel good about the whole process. (I don't think he's ever been really like this - you know??) So we ended up talking about it a quite bit yesterday.

I thought I felt good about the whole thing - but honestly - this morning - on my way back from the local RE for bloodwork and ultrasound, I was ready to cry.

This journey is hard. After dealing with the dumb bleepers, I want a doctor who doesn't screw with me... and I'm praying that Dr. Check is not...

I try to tell myself that we're with Dr. Check for a reason and with my FSH at 30.6 last month... there are not a lot of REs who will work with me...

DH is asking me to keep positive and to keep the faith in the next two cycles... so I am trying very hard to do that... but while he's away at work, I'm allow to mope...

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 1st, 2011, 7:24 pm #9

I guess I just feel confused, because after talking with him last month, he said let's keep doing what we're doing and then the nurse said let's reevaluate. Just made me second-guess everything. Ugh. I have to do IUI at least because of MFI, Dr. Check doesn't think I need to do IVF at all, and in fact was pretty adamant against it. Didn't think it would be worth it.

I've had 4 IUIs since seeing Check - the first one I don't really think counts because it was the one I did there when I went for my consultation - upon examination, they discovered I was about to ovulate and we never were able to confirm release. Then my 3rd one was poorly timed. So I really only feel like 2 of them have been legitimate shots.

We've given ourselves until the end of the year with Check and then we're going to move on, probably to DE. I just want to feel like we've really given my OE a real shot and I don't feel like every cycle we're giving outselves the best chance.
Dr Check didn't think I needed IVF but I wanted to, I didn't know if the egg was even going into a Fallopian tube and meeting the sperm and what was happening. We have male factor (low volume mostly) and I didn't want to waste time anyway. Check didn't argue with me, said it was my decision and I did IVF immediately (2 weeks after I met him for the first time, I was at retrieval, now that's fast!) Since my FSH was high -25- I was only getting one egg at a time, low to no stims. The first IVF was a bust (two eggs, one embryo, multinucleated and transfer canceled). Not deterred, I immediately repeated the process and the next month's IVF I transferred 1 embryo, BFP, but m/c at 8 weeks, had D&C to collect the fetal tissue and test. Testing showed the baby girl was very chromosomally abnormal, had 48 chromosomes instead of 46. That report was IT for me, I realized more than anything I wanted a super healthy child, not a living child with devastating chromosomal problems thanks to me.

Yeah it was a sad time, but in retrospect thankfully it was also a very fast and short time with very valuable information for me, just over 3 months from start to finish with OE, and very grateful to Cooper for letting me do the IVFs for the closure I needed. I had met Dr Check in late January, first retrieval by Valentines Day, second retrieval by St Patricks Day, pg and D&C by May, donor search after that.

MargieD
MargieD

July 1st, 2011, 9:49 pm #10

Except for the last two months, my FSH has averaged 7-9. I also have average AFC of 8-10 follicles per month. I low-stimmed late last month - after my FSH went down - for four days and produced three mature follicles with a E2 of over 400.

I also have a super healthy DD who is under 2. It's hard to say or think that it's all over for my own eggs.

Every situation is different and that's what's soooo hard.