LUFS? (chem pg. mentioned)

LUFS? (chem pg. mentioned)

April 20th, 2012, 10:39 pm #1

Yesterday, I had a natural cycle IUI at Cooper. The pre-IUI ultrasound looked as if the follicle did not release. I didnot use a tigger shot. My blood work showed I started to surge on Tuesday. My estrogen and progesterone levels reflected ovulation, yet on ultrasound, the follicle did not collapse. The nurse mentioned LUFS (luteinising unruptured follicle syndrome). Does anyone have experience with LUFS? Another possibility mentioned by the nurse was the follicle filling up with fluid after ovulation. I feel down. This was my 11th IUI since 9/2010. I feel hopeless at times. The closest I got was last month when I had a chemical pregnancy.

MargieD
MargieD

April 21st, 2012, 12:32 am #2

First - if you got a chemical last month - then that is really promising.

Did you use a trigger shot last month? Which one?

Some people with LUFS cannot release with Ovidrel and must use something stronger - like Lupron. Others don't release every month. You could be in that category. You may want to use a trigger shot every month "just in case."

Have you been doing all of your IUIs with Coopers?

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

April 21st, 2012, 1:59 am #3

Yesterday, I had a natural cycle IUI at Cooper. The pre-IUI ultrasound looked as if the follicle did not release. I didnot use a tigger shot. My blood work showed I started to surge on Tuesday. My estrogen and progesterone levels reflected ovulation, yet on ultrasound, the follicle did not collapse. The nurse mentioned LUFS (luteinising unruptured follicle syndrome). Does anyone have experience with LUFS? Another possibility mentioned by the nurse was the follicle filling up with fluid after ovulation. I feel down. This was my 11th IUI since 9/2010. I feel hopeless at times. The closest I got was last month when I had a chemical pregnancy.
visting from the over 40 board. antonialisa has posted over there about LUFS, you might come ask her.
good luck.

April 21st, 2012, 5:45 pm #4

First - if you got a chemical last month - then that is really promising.

Did you use a trigger shot last month? Which one?

Some people with LUFS cannot release with Ovidrel and must use something stronger - like Lupron. Others don't release every month. You could be in that category. You may want to use a trigger shot every month "just in case."

Have you been doing all of your IUIs with Coopers?
I have been with Dr. Chec..k since late February. Two days after my initial consultation with him, I had a natural cycle IUI done with P4 suppository support. That IUI-which was my 9th resulted in the chemical pregnancy. I was delighted to learn that I can conceive-just sad that it turned out to be a chemical. I did another IUI with the Ovidrel trigger with Chec..k on 3/25 and that was a BFN. Chec..k wanted me to use Pregnyl-but I had Ovidrel left over and I prefer a subcutaneous shot compared to an intramuscular one. My third IUI with Dr. Chec..k was on Thursday and I did not do the trigger-I should have-but b/c I had the BFP on a natural cycle-I was trying to do the same.
I have been doing IUI's on and off since 9/2010 with other RE's. I am using frozen donor sperm. The timing has to be so exact because frozen donor sperm lives for 4 hours according to Chec..k. The egg lives 8-12 hours in the Fallopian tube according to Chec..k.

I was thinking of moving on to IVF after this-if it doesn't work. Chec..k said I could do low stim IVF.

I was really hoping to conceive as naturally as possible. The IUI timing has to be so precise and I think IVF all the timing is controlled.

April 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm #5

visting from the over 40 board. antonialisa has posted over there about LUFS, you might come ask her.
good luck.
Thank you n/t

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

April 23rd, 2012, 1:56 am #6

good luck.
I have LUFS.

In my case, I knew I had a weak LH surge from the OPKs never getting a full positive. Dr. Ch,eck figured out it was a problem for me by doing an ultrasound shortly after ovulation and noticing that the follicle was still intact. LUFS doesn't mean that every single time you don't release the egg; only that is a problem sometime. I would take it seriously.

After trial and error, I always get a 10,000 hcg trigger shot every cycle, and I have no problem ovulating. U/s 3 days after ovulation will show whether the egg released or not.

Ovidrel does NOT work for me. Please don't do what I did and waste cycles trying it many times just to see.

Please note that you do not need an I/M injection for 10,000 hcg - you can do it subcutaneously. I did not know this and I wish someone would have told me much earlier in the process. I tried to time the surge with a trip to the Dr.s and it didn't always work out. Now I know better. I get a prescription for 10,000 hcg. It says on the box I/m OR SC injection. I ask the pharmacist for the smallest (narrowest) needle she has and I do it myself at home in the thigh. It is not a pen; it is a longer needle but you can still do SC although you need to do a sharper jab and it took a bit of practice.

Please post to me on the over 40 board if you have any more questions. I don't always read this board.

good luck!