Latest RE suggesting MDL with month BCP prior

Latest RE suggesting MDL with month BCP prior

maureen
maureen

February 21st, 2011, 3:21 pm #1

Hmmmm... I don't remember folks here having a good experience with MDL or BCP. (Lupron, bravelle, and menopur)

I just don't know what to do. From the consult I like this RE. He didn't kick us out, he talked and listened to us and didn't treat us like we were a threat to his pratice. I think I would be more comfortable with a different protocol though.

Why is this so difficult!!!

I would visit Cornell, but it would be very difficult to do with my workload.

Anyone have anything positive to say about MDL?
Maureen

maureen
maureen

February 21st, 2011, 3:24 pm #2

I asked this RE what to do about the ANA's. He said there weren't many ANA issues that wouldn't be treated with baby asprin, and antibiotoics and steriods duing IVF (which they do), so he wasn't concerned. He also said that if miscarrying was an issue then he would look further into it.

HTH.
Maureen

JulesM
JulesM

February 21st, 2011, 4:05 pm #3

Hmmmm... I don't remember folks here having a good experience with MDL or BCP. (Lupron, bravelle, and menopur)

I just don't know what to do. From the consult I like this RE. He didn't kick us out, he talked and listened to us and didn't treat us like we were a threat to his pratice. I think I would be more comfortable with a different protocol though.

Maureen
I actually had a good response to MDL... no BFP but at trigger I had 11 follicles a 20.5, (2)18.5, 16.5, 16, 14, (3) 13.5 and (2) 12 and my E2 was 2161. They retrieved 7 eggs, 6 of them fertilized naturally. However only one made it to ET... looking back I wonder if it was a lab issue??? My FSH was tested about 5 months prior to my MDL cycle and it was 11.8.
I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with the Lupron but for me it didn't suppress at all. I've done 3 IVF cycles all with different protocols and that was my highest E2.

Go with your gut though... my RE wanted to do MDL for my 3rd cycle (MDL was my 2nd cycle) because he liked my response. I straight out told him I did not want to do it again.... I responded well but no BFP so to me it was a failure. I talked him into doing EPP... I actually had to coach him a bit with it since it's not a protocol they use often which was pretty pathetic. However I got a BFP! I did m/c but I plan to stick with EPP when I cycle again. BTW... I switched REs after that cycle.... never a good sign when you feel you know more than your RE (thanks to the knowledge gained from these boards).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jamie
Jamie

February 21st, 2011, 6:00 pm #4

Maureen
MDL totally shut me down and I could not make any follicles at age 36 . . . at age 39 on antagonist I made 11 eggs and have a 35 week pregnancy and two frozen blasts. Your results may vary, but a lot of us have trouble with the lupron part.

Why not say to him "I would prefer an antagonist protocol" and see what he says?

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 21st, 2011, 6:11 pm #5

Maureen
this was my very first protocol. I first did BCPs then MDL - 5 units of Microdose Lupron, 300 Gonal F and 150 Menopur. I grew one follicle.

Coincidentally, I too liked the RE (smart Harvard grad who did his RE training at Cornell). And he didn't treat us like a threat to his practice. But he also couldn't find us any success.

MargieD
MargieD

February 21st, 2011, 7:14 pm #6

Maureen
Have you considered asking whether you can be tested non-medicated/naturally for a month? That way, you can develop a baseline of where your follicles, numbers, etc. are without the meds.

And then if you decide to go with the MDL protocol and you respond poorly, you can go back to the RE and say - "hey - I did better non-medicated than on the MDL protocol... think it's time to try something differently??"

I do wish I did this before starting on any meds whatsoever. After my experiences, I am thinking that it should be part of "best practices" for all REs.

Just a thought...

cbsgirl
cbsgirl

February 21st, 2011, 8:12 pm #7

Maureen
I did 2 MDL cycles and they were by far my worst. Instead of getting oversuppressed, the MDL acted like rocket fuel. I had two lead follicles at my check after starting MDL and stims - both were at 17!!! I did an IUI on that cycle. The next cycle, my RE put me on 1/2 the stims. I still had 2 leads, though they were much slower to grow. I went ahead with ER/ET that cycle and had one embryo to transfer when all other cycles were anywhere between 3-8 embryos at the same point. It does work for some folks, but I have to say I AM NOT A FAN!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 21st, 2011, 9:23 pm #8

Maureen
I've done a total of 7 IVF's and tried different protocols on almost all. I did a traditional MDL w/ BCP prior and was my best response ever (7 follies) but no pg. I went on to have success w/ another protocol. For #2 my successful protocol was not a winner again and we did estrogen priming w/ MDL after the priming and that was it for me this time. Am currently 34 wks. and what I've learned is that every body is different and you never know how you'll respond to a protocol unless you try. Good luck

Sara Q
Sara Q

February 21st, 2011, 10:01 pm #9

So did you get pregnant with MDL with #2? Or was your success with another protocol?

Thanks,
S

maureen
maureen

February 22nd, 2011, 4:01 pm #10

I actually had a good response to MDL... no BFP but at trigger I had 11 follicles a 20.5, (2)18.5, 16.5, 16, 14, (3) 13.5 and (2) 12 and my E2 was 2161. They retrieved 7 eggs, 6 of them fertilized naturally. However only one made it to ET... looking back I wonder if it was a lab issue??? My FSH was tested about 5 months prior to my MDL cycle and it was 11.8.
I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with the Lupron but for me it didn't suppress at all. I've done 3 IVF cycles all with different protocols and that was my highest E2.

Go with your gut though... my RE wanted to do MDL for my 3rd cycle (MDL was my 2nd cycle) because he liked my response. I straight out told him I did not want to do it again.... I responded well but no BFP so to me it was a failure. I talked him into doing EPP... I actually had to coach him a bit with it since it's not a protocol they use often which was pretty pathetic. However I got a BFP! I did m/c but I plan to stick with EPP when I cycle again. BTW... I switched REs after that cycle.... never a good sign when you feel you know more than your RE (thanks to the knowledge gained from these boards).

Good luck with whatever you decide!
That was a great response you had on MDL. I won't know how I'll do on MDL, but from what people have posted few of us high fsh'ers have gotten pg on it.

I'm thinking that EPP is the way to go, so that's interesting that you coached your RE through it. DH wants us to ask if RE will do EPP, but from your experience, having to coach the RE probably isn't the best idea.

Thanks for your response, you gave me some things to really think about.
Maureen