IUI or BD?

IUI or BD?

Julie
Julie

June 10th, 2012, 12:59 am #1

I can't schedule an IVF with my local RE because my AF schedule doesn't work well with his summer vocation schedule. So I won't be able to do a natural start cycle this month. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to try an IUI. I didn't do any IUI before I proceeded to IVF last time. I was a poor responder in my last IVF cycle, 3 mature follicles, 2 retrieve, 1 fertilized on maximum stipulation (gonal-F 450-525IU).

A few questions:

1. will IUI increase my chance of success compared to BD?
- The nurses were kind of discouraging. They said since my husband's sperm count is normal, I don't need an IUI. It would not improve my chance much.
- The doctor said if I would like to, i can try. Anyway, he said my chance of getting pregnant is
2. Cost of stipulation meds.
I am not sure for IUI, how much stipulation I need. I will max out my insurance soon, which means I will be paying for all the medication out of pocket. Should I spend money on IUI or hold the money for an IVF cycle?

3. Is it possible IUI may increase my FSH and jeopardize my future IVF cycle?

4. Can I do an IVF cycle right after an IUI cycle? Do I need a break of a few months?

5. Should I consider other local REs or out-of-state REs such as CCRM/Dr. Davis/Dr. check. I choose this RE because my research told me his lab is decent (other local REs have lower success rate with donor eggs). But I am very frustrated that our schedule doesn't fit well. And I don't want to use birth control pills given my low antrals (3). But it may take even longer to finish initial consult/ tests with out-of-state REs. Not to mention to hassle to travel.

I am just tired of this waiting game and I am not getting any younger. Not sure whether I should just wait it out or do sth such as IUI.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.

Quote
Share

Julie
Julie

June 10th, 2012, 1:06 am #2

My RE said if I would like to try IUI, I can. The nurses will be in charge of the whole process. I won't see my RE anyway. My RE said my possibility of success with IUI is 3% vs BD 1% (lol. it will take me 10 yrs by BD? and I may be in menopause). for ivf 10-20%. I don't know how to interpret the information.

I understand IVF will increase the chance if more eggs are retrieved. But I was a poor responder -only have three eggs last time anyway. Not sure how much follicle I can produce on medium stipulation in IUI. Is IVF still the best route to go?
Quote
Share

Julie
Julie

June 10th, 2012, 1:07 am #3

I can't schedule an IVF with my local RE because my AF schedule doesn't work well with his summer vocation schedule. So I won't be able to do a natural start cycle this month. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to try an IUI. I didn't do any IUI before I proceeded to IVF last time. I was a poor responder in my last IVF cycle, 3 mature follicles, 2 retrieve, 1 fertilized on maximum stipulation (gonal-F 450-525IU).

A few questions:

1. will IUI increase my chance of success compared to BD?
- The nurses were kind of discouraging. They said since my husband's sperm count is normal, I don't need an IUI. It would not improve my chance much.
- The doctor said if I would like to, i can try. Anyway, he said my chance of getting pregnant is
2. Cost of stipulation meds.
I am not sure for IUI, how much stipulation I need. I will max out my insurance soon, which means I will be paying for all the medication out of pocket. Should I spend money on IUI or hold the money for an IVF cycle?

3. Is it possible IUI may increase my FSH and jeopardize my future IVF cycle?

4. Can I do an IVF cycle right after an IUI cycle? Do I need a break of a few months?

5. Should I consider other local REs or out-of-state REs such as CCRM/Dr. Davis/Dr. check. I choose this RE because my research told me his lab is decent (other local REs have lower success rate with donor eggs). But I am very frustrated that our schedule doesn't fit well. And I don't want to use birth control pills given my low antrals (3). But it may take even longer to finish initial consult/ tests with out-of-state REs. Not to mention to hassle to travel.

I am just tired of this waiting game and I am not getting any younger. Not sure whether I should just wait it out or do sth such as IUI.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.
My RE said if I would like to try IUI, I can. The nurses will be in charge of the whole process. I won't see my RE anyway. My RE said my possibility of success with IUI is 3% vs BD 1% (lol. it will take me 10 yrs by BD? and I may be in menopause). for ivf 10-20%. I don't know how to interpret the information.

I understand IVF will increase the chance if more eggs are retrieved. But I was a poor responder -only have three eggs last time anyway. Not sure how much follicle I can produce on medium stipulation in IUI. Is IVF still the best route to go?
Quote
Share