Is Check really the guy for IVF if FSH is over 30? (x-post)

Is Check really the guy for IVF if FSH is over 30? (x-post)

AJ
AJ

September 22nd, 2011, 6:22 pm #1

I'm currently taking a break from monitored cycles with Check. My FSH has been all over the place, the lowest 4 when taking the estinyl, the highest 50 (I'm 38). I know I'm a poor responder and I really feel like my next step has to be aggressive and I'm thinking mini-IVF and banking embies for FET. I just don't know where to do it. I know only a handful of clinics do this and I keep coming back to Check because as far as I know he's the only one that really addresses the high FSH and works to lower it before starting stims. Is this true? Or does it really make a difference when doing low-stim? Any insight is truly appreciated. TIA:)

Cee
Cee

September 22nd, 2011, 10:00 pm #2

I can't really speak to Check bringing down FSH before starting stims for IVF, but here's what I can tell you. I'm 32 and my highest FSH was 64, and he is pretty adamant about not doing IVF in my case. I've never used any kind of stims. He said that he wants to use my own natural FSH to "stim" me, because even when I take estinyl & estrace, my FSH is still generally in the teens & twenties on CD2 & 3. And when I broached the subject about doing IVF after my failed IUIs he pretty much shot me down.

His reasoning is that he doesn't feel that I would produce any more than I am now and that it would be a waste of money, which I do tend to agree with him on. We aren't in a position really where we can afford multiple IVFs anyway because then we'd lose the money we've saved for DE. So it's pretty much come down to money for us. When I talked to him about it though I didn't speak to him about banking.

Maybe schedule another consult with him to discuss?

Alli
Alli

September 22nd, 2011, 10:13 pm #3

How many follies do u make? Nt

AJ
AJ

September 22nd, 2011, 10:46 pm #4

I can't really speak to Check bringing down FSH before starting stims for IVF, but here's what I can tell you. I'm 32 and my highest FSH was 64, and he is pretty adamant about not doing IVF in my case. I've never used any kind of stims. He said that he wants to use my own natural FSH to "stim" me, because even when I take estinyl & estrace, my FSH is still generally in the teens & twenties on CD2 & 3. And when I broached the subject about doing IVF after my failed IUIs he pretty much shot me down.

His reasoning is that he doesn't feel that I would produce any more than I am now and that it would be a waste of money, which I do tend to agree with him on. We aren't in a position really where we can afford multiple IVFs anyway because then we'd lose the money we've saved for DE. So it's pretty much come down to money for us. When I talked to him about it though I didn't speak to him about banking.

Maybe schedule another consult with him to discuss?
Thanks Cee.
I'm going to call tomorrow to see what I need to do to get the ball rolling with Check. My history is pretty lengthy....I've had 4 pregnancies, 1 successful, all natural surprises. Check was pretty adamant that I don't "need" IVF, but I'm getting impatient. Add to that I know my body is changing, my cycles are getting really irregular and I'm afraid to wait much longer. And, we're self pay, and I feel like we're nickel and diming ourselves with the monitoring. He was able to give me new codes to use that still apply to my situation but I'm still waiting to see what insurance will reimburse for (I'm out of town). Mentally, I just can't take any more "wait and see" and just have this need to do something, if you KWIM. My hope would be to get 2 mature follies/cycle and maybe do 3 cycles. The mini-IVF cost is pretty reasonable in comparison to what I've spend already.

I appreciate your thoughts:).

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 22nd, 2011, 11:43 pm #5

Even though Dr Check at the initial consult said I didn't "need" it... I really wanted to go the IVF route anyway. He said OK with no further discussion about it, and I was having a retrieval 2 weeks later My consult with him was late January, I was in the retrieval stirrups by Valentines Day, then back in the stirrups by St Patricks Day, it was that fast. I did 2 back-to-back that way and did get pg on the second one. Later had a m/c that was tested and found to have chromosome problems, so no fault of the clinic.

If you want to try IVF, go for it. I'm personally glad I didn't waste time doing TI and IUIs first. I wanted to make sure egg-meets-sperm.

jnoels
jnoels

September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am #6

I'm currently taking a break from monitored cycles with Check. My FSH has been all over the place, the lowest 4 when taking the estinyl, the highest 50 (I'm 38). I know I'm a poor responder and I really feel like my next step has to be aggressive and I'm thinking mini-IVF and banking embies for FET. I just don't know where to do it. I know only a handful of clinics do this and I keep coming back to Check because as far as I know he's the only one that really addresses the high FSH and works to lower it before starting stims. Is this true? Or does it really make a difference when doing low-stim? Any insight is truly appreciated. TIA:)
I don't have any advice - but I have similar concerns and questions, so I'm interested to hear how other folks chime in. We're doing IUI next month, but that's just because it's the only thing our insurance will cover - when we're just monitoring, we're self pay. And I'm with you - the monitoring really adds up, so if you're going to spend your own money, then spend it on the best odds.

Anyway, advocate for yourself, and good luck with whatever you decide. And keep us posted.

Cee
Cee

September 23rd, 2011, 4:49 pm #7

How many follies do u make? Nt
or AJ?

If me, 2-3 AFC on unmedicated cycles, when on estinyl & estrace, I usually only have 1. My left ovary never does anything on estinyl.

September 26th, 2011, 10:42 pm #8

I am currently working with New Hope Fertility Center in NYC. They don't exclude based on age, FSH or ovarian reserve levels. You might check them out. I am 43 and banking blastocysts. We currently have 4 frozen blasts for future transfers. This is with fluctuating FSH levels from 30-74. My last successful blast started with an FSH of 61. We're not pregnant yet, but New Hope has given us 4 viable chances so far.....

I believe their record for a successful pregnancy with high FSH is 161.

Good luck!