I think I'm flunking my first IVF

I think I'm flunking my first IVF

July 18th, 2012, 12:03 am #1

I am currently on my 7th day of high stims (450 Follistim, 150 Menopur, 10 units Lupron twice daily). Yesterday's ultrasound revealed 2 follicles on the left (16mm and 6mm) and the right had 4 follicles (12mm, 10mm, 8mm, 4mm). I am satelliting and the RN at the satellite hospital was concerned about the 16mm one (even though my main RN/RE were not concerned). The satellite RN told me to go in again today for bloodwork/ultrasound. The left side was now 17mm and 6mm and the right side was just 3 (13mm, 10mm, 10mm).

My main RN told me that this cycle is not necessarily a bust but to start talking to my DH about what we want to do in case the follicles don't grow enough by Thursday. She said that they would like each one to be between 19-24mm.

My estradiol is at 710 but I have been wearing the Vivelle patch for a couple weeks now.

Anyone else go through something similar to this? What do you think?

Thanks ladies and hope that you are doing well!

MargieD
MargieD

July 18th, 2012, 1:14 am #2

Your follicles are growing. Your E2 number is rising. All good - in my opinion.

My question is - why Thursday?

Will they put you on Cetrotide or Garanlix to keep you from ovulating? If so - they can have you stim longer than Thursday to allow the follicles to grow some more.

I should warn you that I don't know anything about Vivelle and what it does to E2 numbers.

Houston
Houston

July 18th, 2012, 1:28 am #3

I am currently on my 7th day of high stims (450 Follistim, 150 Menopur, 10 units Lupron twice daily). Yesterday's ultrasound revealed 2 follicles on the left (16mm and 6mm) and the right had 4 follicles (12mm, 10mm, 8mm, 4mm). I am satelliting and the RN at the satellite hospital was concerned about the 16mm one (even though my main RN/RE were not concerned). The satellite RN told me to go in again today for bloodwork/ultrasound. The left side was now 17mm and 6mm and the right side was just 3 (13mm, 10mm, 10mm).

My main RN told me that this cycle is not necessarily a bust but to start talking to my DH about what we want to do in case the follicles don't grow enough by Thursday. She said that they would like each one to be between 19-24mm.

My estradiol is at 710 but I have been wearing the Vivelle patch for a couple weeks now.

It sounds like they may push the 17 to be over mature and sacrifice it to get the other 3 that are in the same range. If everything keeps progressing it sounds like you will have 3 mature and one over mature. Not bad for high FSH. I think you probably won't know more for a day or two but if the three keep growing together you should be good.

What is your AFC?

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

July 18th, 2012, 1:52 am #4

Your follicles are growing. Your E2 number is rising. All good - in my opinion.

My question is - why Thursday?

Will they put you on Cetrotide or Garanlix to keep you from ovulating? If so - they can have you stim longer than Thursday to allow the follicles to grow some more.

I should warn you that I don't know anything about Vivelle and what it does to E2 numbers.
will be readying for retrieval. My guess is they hope the others have caught up by then.

She won't need Cetrotide or Ganirelix because she's on 10 units Lupron twice daily.

Also, because she's on the Vivelle patch that's bumping up the E2.

Brewer, I'd prepare myself for having just 2 follies in the running - 17 mm on left and 13 mm on right. If the others spring to life it's bonus.

Are you OK going to ER with 2 follies?

Good luck!

(P.S. - It's possible the Lupron could be suppressing you. If the cycle doesn't work out you might want to consider switching to an antagonist protocol. Also, a reduction in your high stims may help. You have to start somewhere though and hopefully this cycle works out. If it doesn't, look to your RE to tweak things.)

July 18th, 2012, 2:08 am #5

The RN kept saying that they want the follicle size to be closer together. She also mentioned that often times the follicles stop growing around 10 mm so Thursday will reveal a lot.

I don't know that I am comfortable going to ER with 2 follies. I almost want to try a different protocol to see if I respond better (definitely curious about the antagonist protocol). The RE I am satelliting with appeared surprised by the amount of Lupron I am taking.

Wow, this IVF process is all-encompassing and time consuming with all the appointments, etc.. I knew that I would sacrifice a lot to do this (it is SO hard to give up alcohol during the summer!) but had no idea what it truly entailed.

Thank you ladies for your responses. I can't tell you enough how much better it makes me feel to hear your input.

July 18th, 2012, 2:10 am #6

It sounds like they may push the 17 to be over mature and sacrifice it to get the other 3 that are in the same range. If everything keeps progressing it sounds like you will have 3 mature and one over mature. Not bad for high FSH. I think you probably won't know more for a day or two but if the three keep growing together you should be good.

What is your AFC?
I had 11 a few months ago so was a little bit sad to have that number go down this month but realize that it can change somewhat every month. Thanks for your input, Houston!

Jamie
Jamie

July 18th, 2012, 2:16 am #7

My first IVF I couldn't stim at all (and this was on HIGH stims of 750 units). Lupron totally shut down my ovaries. Once I skipped the suppression I had a healthy girl at age 39.

It is not uncommon to flunk a first one when you have high FSH because the suppressive stuff can really mess with you. Just hang in there and see if you can ditch the lupron? You may have to cancel and try again in a month or two. Sorry, and hugs.

July 18th, 2012, 2:26 am #8

Were you successful on your second IVF?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and for the hugs!

MargieD
MargieD

July 18th, 2012, 3:06 am #9

will be readying for retrieval. My guess is they hope the others have caught up by then.

She won't need Cetrotide or Ganirelix because she's on 10 units Lupron twice daily.

Also, because she's on the Vivelle patch that's bumping up the E2.

Brewer, I'd prepare myself for having just 2 follies in the running - 17 mm on left and 13 mm on right. If the others spring to life it's bonus.

Are you OK going to ER with 2 follies?

Good luck!

(P.S. - It's possible the Lupron could be suppressing you. If the cycle doesn't work out you might want to consider switching to an antagonist protocol. Also, a reduction in your high stims may help. You have to start somewhere though and hopefully this cycle works out. If it doesn't, look to your RE to tweak things.)
I totally forgot what Lupron does to a cycle... (I must have my first failed IVF cycle completely blocked from my mind...LOL)

Now that I'm remembering things, what Mrs. A says sounds right...

I know that some REs give the lead follicle some room - i.e. 17MM / 18 MM / 20 MM

If you're not happy with this cycle, convert it to IUI or BD like crazy, you never know - it just might work out...

Make sure you get the trigger shot, though.

BrewersFan
BrewersFan

July 18th, 2012, 3:59 am #10

Ha, ha, I already told my husband to "get ready".

This is a really dumb question but what exactly does the trigger shot do? Thanks, MargieD!