i just got off the phone with RE

i just got off the phone with RE

July 29th, 2011, 5:38 pm #1

and i wanted to share what he said to me. we were talking about my results and all that...and the DOR and such. and he said that that the AMH score does not speak to quality at all and that it only speaks to the number of eggs...he said that age is the number one number one number one factor in egg quality. he said that with my current cycle he wouldnt be surprised if i had twins. - bc i have two mature follicles and he doesnt think that my egg quality is bad. he wasnt saying that im going to get pregnant he was just driving home his point about age and egg quality. - he wasnt and didnt give me any false hope, he was just trying to speak to age and egg quality.

im NOT saying that this is right or wrong information. i just think it is really interesting how one credible RE said that AMH has nothing to do with quality, that age is #1 factor, and that another credible RE can say that AMH does in fact play a role in egg quality. im not saying that my RE is right or wrong i just think it's interesting how all of these great doctors can have such different thoughts!

Sara H
Sara H

July 29th, 2011, 5:57 pm #2

I think that is why I my Dr.s have never tested mine. They know my age, they know how many follicles I get on day three, that seems to be all they care about.

My fingers are SOOO crossed for you! Tomorrow and for the next two weeks!

HUGE HUGS!
Sara H

July 29th, 2011, 6:00 pm #3

sara - you are 30 right? (or am i making that up?)

have you peed on sticks yet ; ) j/k, and believe me i have my fingers crossed for you too : )

Sara H
Sara H

July 29th, 2011, 6:08 pm #4

Nope, I am 37.

No pee yet, give me three days, OK?

Hope tomorrow goes well!

NY10
NY10

July 29th, 2011, 7:06 pm #5

and i wanted to share what he said to me. we were talking about my results and all that...and the DOR and such. and he said that that the AMH score does not speak to quality at all and that it only speaks to the number of eggs...he said that age is the number one number one number one factor in egg quality. he said that with my current cycle he wouldnt be surprised if i had twins. - bc i have two mature follicles and he doesnt think that my egg quality is bad. he wasnt saying that im going to get pregnant he was just driving home his point about age and egg quality. - he wasnt and didnt give me any false hope, he was just trying to speak to age and egg quality.

im NOT saying that this is right or wrong information. i just think it is really interesting how one credible RE said that AMH has nothing to do with quality, that age is #1 factor, and that another credible RE can say that AMH does in fact play a role in egg quality. im not saying that my RE is right or wrong i just think it's interesting how all of these great doctors can have such different thoughts!
I go to Dr Check and he said the same thing to me. He never tested me for AMH as he said that it is really just another indicator of ovarian reserve. He said that, as far as he was concerned, the main predictor of egg quality was age. I got my AMH tested when I first got my high FSH diagnosis. I went to one of the well known mainstream clinics in NY and the doctor said that with an FSH of 20 I had no chance of ever getting pregnant and if by some miracle I did, the baby would be deformed - I was told this over the phone too - really nice. He said that the AMH test hadn't come through but he expected it to be poor based on my high FSH and didn't expect it to change the diagnosis. Needless to say I never went back to him again and still don't know what my AMH was so I don't know whether it was good or bad or have any idea about my egg quality. Having said that, I'm 38 and I went for ER yesterday. I am doing a natural IVF cycle and had one follicle. My E2 the day before ER was 503 and the nurse called today to say that the egg has fertilized, so I have everything crossed that it was a good egg and that the little embie is dividing as I write this. Best of luck to you, I really hope things go well.

Sara H
Sara H

July 29th, 2011, 8:00 pm #6

YES! Finger's crossed and, as I have often said, go on a date tonight, someone else is watching the "kid"!

Good luck to you, NY10!

HUGS!
Sara H

PS-I am so sorry you went though that crap with that Dr.... why do some have to be that way? What a jerk. (Or, he was having a jerky day, but either way you did not deserve that! But he did deserve a kick in the nether regions... yeah, sad that people rarely get what they deserve!)

anna
anna

July 29th, 2011, 8:34 pm #7

thanks for sharing this, my RE said the same he believe age is the factor, i hope this cycle works for you and keep us updated.

NY10
NY10

July 29th, 2011, 9:33 pm #8

YES! Finger's crossed and, as I have often said, go on a date tonight, someone else is watching the "kid"!

Good luck to you, NY10!

HUGS!
Sara H

PS-I am so sorry you went though that crap with that Dr.... why do some have to be that way? What a jerk. (Or, he was having a jerky day, but either way you did not deserve that! But he did deserve a kick in the nether regions... yeah, sad that people rarely get what they deserve!)
Thanks Sara, good luck to you too! I will be keeping everything crossed for you over the next few days.

MargieD
MargieD

July 30th, 2011, 4:08 pm #9

You might want to take a look....

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/19/4/893.full