I cannot stop obsessing! chld mentioned

I cannot stop obsessing! chld mentioned

December 31st, 2011, 6:05 pm #1

Hello,
I have been posting here recently in order to gain some information for my identical twin sister. 3 weeks ago she learned that she had high FSH (20) and low AMH (.2)

I know she is probably feeling much more upset than I am because she was the one who was diagnosed but throughout our entire life we could always "feel each other's pain" so to speak and I have become completely consumed in trying to find out information, looking for success stories...

Right now my sister's RE has told her that is in a 3 month waiting period. She has been instructed to take DHEA, she goes to acupuncture, and she is taking a medication to raise her low thyroid levels. The Dr. doesn't even want to see her until March and at that time they will retest her AMH. This wait is killing her and me. I literally cannot stop thinking about it and I am sure it only worse for her. I am also certain that many of you felt this way early on in your diagnosis.

I am also worried about myself. I do have an 18 month old son who was conceived naturally but now my husband and I are trying for #2. We have only been trying for 2 months but I have noticed that I have had many of the same symptoms that my sister has experienced. (night sweats, low libido...) I know that I should get tested but unlike my sister and her husband, my husband and I have absolutely no chance in being able to afford IVF...

How did you all stay sane during all of this? What can I do to help my sister keep her mind off of her fertility problems?

I just truly hope that 6 months to a year from now I am posting her success story!!

December 31st, 2011, 6:57 pm #2

Hi there- I can honestly tell you that this diagnosis has completely changed me. I have slipped into a severe depressed state and dont know where to turn. I tried therapy and am tempted to go on an anti-depressant b/c I just cant handle this. I am single using DS so that makes it even worse. No support from a husband. All I ever wanted was my own child and to be told you only have a 25% chance with IVF is heartbreaking. Sometimes I just dont know how to get through this. Through the grace of God, I leave it in his hands. How old is your sister? Hopefully young enough to find that one good egg. That is all you need- one. That is what I keep saying to myself. She has the love and support of you and her husband. She will get through it. We all will, its just a painful journey.

December 31st, 2011, 7:00 pm #3

We are 32 years old. My sister never expected this in a million years! Her self esteem has been completely destroyed. I just pray with all of my heart that 2012 brings her success and happiness!

Laura
Laura

December 31st, 2011, 7:22 pm #4

Hello,
I have been posting here recently in order to gain some information for my identical twin sister. 3 weeks ago she learned that she had high FSH (20) and low AMH (.2)

I know she is probably feeling much more upset than I am because she was the one who was diagnosed but throughout our entire life we could always "feel each other's pain" so to speak and I have become completely consumed in trying to find out information, looking for success stories...

Right now my sister's RE has told her that is in a 3 month waiting period. She has been instructed to take DHEA, she goes to acupuncture, and she is taking a medication to raise her low thyroid levels. The Dr. doesn't even want to see her until March and at that time they will retest her AMH. This wait is killing her and me. I literally cannot stop thinking about it and I am sure it only worse for her. I am also certain that many of you felt this way early on in your diagnosis.

I am also worried about myself. I do have an 18 month old son who was conceived naturally but now my husband and I are trying for #2. We have only been trying for 2 months but I have noticed that I have had many of the same symptoms that my sister has experienced. (night sweats, low libido...) I know that I should get tested but unlike my sister and her husband, my husband and I have absolutely no chance in being able to afford IVF...

How did you all stay sane during all of this? What can I do to help my sister keep her mind off of her fertility problems?

I just truly hope that 6 months to a year from now I am posting her success story!!
I haven't heard of REs having that long of waits...is there someone else she can investigate? Also, the early stages of IF can be coded under "irregular menses" or "hormonal imbalance" and not necessarily "infertility". If she has a good relationship with her OB, maybe the OB can order some of the b/w and u/s until she can see an RE. I'm in the same boat insurance wise, and the receptionist at my RE's office was very understanding of the situation.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

December 31st, 2011, 7:25 pm #5

Hello,

I found out in Jan 11 that I was DOR. Initially you are shocked and panicked but it does ease up some to the point where you don't obsess all day. You learn what you can and then you just "do" what you can do achieve the goal of a baby. It isn't easy but the initial panic does subside in my opinion. Good luck to you and your sis. You definitely have age on your side and that is a big bonus.

December 31st, 2011, 7:29 pm #6

Hello,

First I am sorry your going thru this, I know its not easy for both of u. One thing is that u didn't answer my question about her insurance and etc..I asked u.
Now about her DR approach, I am not sure if what I say here would make a different because she is not on this board and she probably won't deviate from her RE order. But I disagree with her RE approach. Wait 3 month for what? Dhea hasn't done any miracle in this board. Some RE believes it could do harm. If ur sis has resource to do IVF AF ccrm, I hope it won't be that hard for her to plan a trip to NJ to cooper, I would seriously give it some thoughts. I took DHEA for 6 month it did nothing for me and the data on acupuncture, hmmmmm, nothing says it helps that much. Go to webmed.com and search, this is the website that has all the Drs research paper both on Dhea, and accup. I hate for ur SIS to wait 3 month and then nothing.

Please excuse any typos, typed from my cell phone!!!

IVF #1...no fertilization
IVF #2...E2 drop, canceled
IVF #3...E2 drop, canceled
Gearing up for IVF #4

AJ
AJ

December 31st, 2011, 8:25 pm #7

Hello,

So I don't know how valuable my advice is, as I have no experience with the twin dynamic and everyone handles things differently but....

I think you can be there as a support for your sister, listen to her, offer advice when asked etc. But you can't take her problem on as your own and try to solve it for her as much as you want to. I don't think she would want you to take that on, especially when you have a little one who needs your attention.

As far as the 3 month wait goes, I don't think it's uncommon for an RE to take that approach if they don't specialize in high FSH. A lot of these RE's do see improvement in their patients who take DHEA and do acupuncture. It takes your body 3 months to fully recruit follicles so things started today will show impact after 3 months (or so the theory goes). If she's not comfortable with that, then she can schedule a phone consult for free with other RE's for other opinions. Most SIRM RE's offer free phone consults and Cooper (Dr. C.heck's office) offers phone consults but Dr. C.heck only does it in person.

How did/do I get through it.....I work really hard to not let it define who I am. It's hard and some days are easier than others. But I don't let it rule my life. For me it was a choice- If I felt like I couldn't do it on my own then I would definitely see a therapist to help me through it. Am I sad at times? Absolutely! But I still find the positives in my life (my DD is one of them, but even before her). I didn't/don't isolate myself from my friends with children either. But that's me, and that's how I deal with things.

I think it's early for you or your sister to think this way, but being open to and exploring Plan B's are helpful as well. This is for down the road, hopefully it won't be an issue for either of you.

I think seeing a Dr. yourself will help alleviate some stress. The stress of not knowing and worrying is often worse than knowing and dealing with it. You might not share the same diagnosis as your sister.

So for now, take a deep breath. 3 months might seem like an eternity but I seriously doubt at your ages that things will take a turn for the worse during this time. If you were 5 years older, maybe.

Your sister is very lucky to have you:) Congrats on your little one too!

December 31st, 2011, 8:50 pm #8

Thank you so much AJ!
Your post did really help put things into perspective.

My plan right now is to just be a supportive to my sister as I can be and help her through this little step in her journey. 3 months does seem like a long time right now but it will go quickly and if that is what her RE thinks she needs to do than so be it.

Thanks again for offering encouragement!

Wren
Wren

January 1st, 2012, 4:06 pm #9

Hello,

I had 3 month therapy too. DHEA as well. and in the 3rd month, I got pg naturally!

I was also taking: prenatal, wheatgrass, high doses of coq10, royal jelly, l-arginine, vit d, and calcium. I was doing acupuncture, yoga and trying to reduce stress (which is not easy with IF). I also had dropped gluten from my diet and most sugar and only eating antibiotic free, hormone free meats and organic veggies.

My RE monitored me on dhea. Is your sister getting monitored? You don't want to run your DHEA or free testosterone too high. Insist on blood tests!

It can happen!

January 1st, 2012, 4:37 pm #10

Wow! Thank you so much for your response! It is so encouraging!