How many of you went into IVF with "no extras"?

How many of you went into IVF with "no extras"?

Lauren
Lauren

May 22nd, 2011, 3:42 am #1

At this point I'm a little pooped out on the interventions and options and diets and herbs and so on. I feel like an utter slacker heading into IVF not doing acupuncture or wheatgrass and not giving up dairy or gluten or anything else. I'm not sure why I'm fighting it so much? I just eat my regular foods, take a B Complex daily and have a normal workout routine, nothing over the top. I still have a cup of coffee or so and I eat dairy and gluten like the rapture was going to take bread away and not people.

Is this some psychological hissy fit? Just sick of having to give up so much that I went back to normal living, or am I shooting myself in the foot by not "doing more"? Anyone else "just do IVF" and not do the extras?

JulesM
JulesM

May 22nd, 2011, 11:31 am #2

I ate what I normally eat, skipped the acupuncture, continued my exercise routine which includes running 5-7 miles 4x week and power yoga 2x week up until I felt my ovaries aching from stim, and actually had a few glasses of wine 2 or 3 times during stim. Ended up w/ BFP.

May 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm #3

At this point I'm a little pooped out on the interventions and options and diets and herbs and so on. I feel like an utter slacker heading into IVF not doing acupuncture or wheatgrass and not giving up dairy or gluten or anything else. I'm not sure why I'm fighting it so much? I just eat my regular foods, take a B Complex daily and have a normal workout routine, nothing over the top. I still have a cup of coffee or so and I eat dairy and gluten like the rapture was going to take bread away and not people.

Is this some psychological hissy fit? Just sick of having to give up so much that I went back to normal living, or am I shooting myself in the foot by not "doing more"? Anyone else "just do IVF" and not do the extras?
Last ivf cycle I was so careful. Low sugar, supplements etc. I got 4 mature eggs, only 2 fertilized and it ended in a Chem. My first idea was to start acupuncture, higher levels of supplements, dhea, etc. Then I formed a gigantic cyst and got cancelled and started having some of the worst acne of my life ( I have always had good skin, so this sucked !). Not to mention terrible insomnia. So I stopped everything except prenatal vit, calcium and fish oil. And all the money I was spending on acupuncture is now going towards weekly relaxation massages (nothing to do with fertility, just trying to stay relaxed). I'm on day 6 of stims. So far so good but it's probably too early to tell. I'll know more after tomorrow's u/s and b/w. I'll post an update then. Oh and btw, I am trying to eat some fruits and veggies, but I've also been eating ungodly amounts of cheese, bread and chocolate. So we shall see!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 22nd, 2011, 5:22 pm #4

Do what you want, within reason. That is what's more important - eating reasonably healthy meals and maintaining a feel good attitude and if that comes at the indulgence of a glass of wine here or there or a cup of coffee, then enjoy it. But stressing yourself out over what you eat and do as you go into this cycle...that's not good; in particular because you are going to have other stressors in the mix like worrying about the cycle itself.

If it helps, I did all the good stuff down to swallowing the most disgusting Royal Jelly paste (before I discovered the pill form!) and it didn't help a thing across any of my 9 cycles. I'm not saying it *doesn't* help women; just saying that for me, none of that stuff made a difference. What it did do was add some level of stress in that I was wanting to make sure I was doing all the right stuff, making sure I didn't forget this pill, that capsule, etc. Let alone adding up a hefty $$$ tab.

My only recommendation is that you add a daily prenatal vitamin to your "regimen", and preferably one that comes with a DHA capsule. Ideally you want to be on prenatals before you actually conceive. Although if you're not, that's not the end of the world either.

Good luck!!

(p.s. - is this Texas Lauren?)

Mrs, A
Mrs, A

May 22nd, 2011, 5:24 pm #5

Last ivf cycle I was so careful. Low sugar, supplements etc. I got 4 mature eggs, only 2 fertilized and it ended in a Chem. My first idea was to start acupuncture, higher levels of supplements, dhea, etc. Then I formed a gigantic cyst and got cancelled and started having some of the worst acne of my life ( I have always had good skin, so this sucked !). Not to mention terrible insomnia. So I stopped everything except prenatal vit, calcium and fish oil. And all the money I was spending on acupuncture is now going towards weekly relaxation massages (nothing to do with fertility, just trying to stay relaxed). I'm on day 6 of stims. So far so good but it's probably too early to tell. I'll know more after tomorrow's u/s and b/w. I'll post an update then. Oh and btw, I am trying to eat some fruits and veggies, but I've also been eating ungodly amounts of cheese, bread and chocolate. So we shall see!
I think a weekly massage is worth every $$$ (n/t)

Lauren
Lauren

May 22nd, 2011, 5:40 pm #6

Do what you want, within reason. That is what's more important - eating reasonably healthy meals and maintaining a feel good attitude and if that comes at the indulgence of a glass of wine here or there or a cup of coffee, then enjoy it. But stressing yourself out over what you eat and do as you go into this cycle...that's not good; in particular because you are going to have other stressors in the mix like worrying about the cycle itself.

If it helps, I did all the good stuff down to swallowing the most disgusting Royal Jelly paste (before I discovered the pill form!) and it didn't help a thing across any of my 9 cycles. I'm not saying it *doesn't* help women; just saying that for me, none of that stuff made a difference. What it did do was add some level of stress in that I was wanting to make sure I was doing all the right stuff, making sure I didn't forget this pill, that capsule, etc. Let alone adding up a hefty $$$ tab.

My only recommendation is that you add a daily prenatal vitamin to your "regimen", and preferably one that comes with a DHA capsule. Ideally you want to be on prenatals before you actually conceive. Although if you're not, that's not the end of the world either.

Good luck!!

(p.s. - is this Texas Lauren?)
It is TX Lauren! I've forgotten my login, but my actual username is Lauren1228. I can't remember my password!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 22nd, 2011, 6:01 pm #7

and that you're getting ready for some action! good luck for the cycle!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 22nd, 2011, 7:31 pm #8

After so many failed cycles and years of acupuncture and supplements, i decided to screw all be "extras" and it worked.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 22nd, 2011, 7:33 pm #9

Sorry bfp mentioned. nt