Hot flashes

Hot flashes

CW15
CW15

July 13th, 2012, 6:05 pm #1

I am currently on a break and have been having hot flashes come and go for the last approximately 2 weeks. Do any of you all get them and if so do you take anything for them? Any hormone replacement or natural remedies? There is this "health spa" by me that advertises "natural hormone replacement" therapy and they have an informational session on Tuesday and I'm going to check it out. But I'm nervous to take anything or try anything with a possible upcoming FET in a couple months. I can live with the hot flashes but man, they're annoying! Especially when I wake up in the middle of the night all hot.

Laura
Laura

July 13th, 2012, 7:27 pm #2

Hot flashes are a symptom of having low estrogen. When I went through my 3-month BCP withdrawal with no AF, my estrogen levels tanked. It got to the point where my body didn't have enough estrogen to support growing follicles, so there werent any follicles to produce more estrogen, in an endless cycle. Maybe get your estrogen levels checked and if low ask for a low-dose estradiol supplement, which can be given in much lower amounts than either BCP or HRT. I never tried any of the "natural" remedies.

Sara H
Sara H

July 14th, 2012, 2:31 pm #3

I am currently on a break and have been having hot flashes come and go for the last approximately 2 weeks. Do any of you all get them and if so do you take anything for them? Any hormone replacement or natural remedies? There is this "health spa" by me that advertises "natural hormone replacement" therapy and they have an informational session on Tuesday and I'm going to check it out. But I'm nervous to take anything or try anything with a possible upcoming FET in a couple months. I can live with the hot flashes but man, they're annoying! Especially when I wake up in the middle of the night all hot.
But, I agree with above poster and would add:

Even on a break I'd call your RE about this. The "natural" stuff is still hormone replacement and can still mess up your system. Also, it is not regulated so if you do get out of whack you won't know exactly what did it, if you see what I mean. There is a lot out there that can help but if you are planning on going back to TTC I'd be super careful and know exactly what you are taking and the exact dose. Lots of "natural" stuff is mixes or unrefined so it's hard to know exact doses. Like, yams add estrogen but the amount is always different per yam, if you see what I mean!

I am rather science-based on this stuff myself and, though it is great to go listen and see what they say, when it come to actually taking things I would err on the side of caution and go with meds that you are very clear on the dosing for, so you can keep track!

On the non-med approach I did find yoga and staying well hydrated helped me a good bit, as did 20 minute naps when possible.
(But, not as much as working with a dr., lowering my FSH and estrogen did.)

Either way I am so sorry and good luck!
Sara H

July 14th, 2012, 9:12 pm #4

I get them all the time. Right now it's every hour including the night. I would wear loose clothes and layer. I have found nothing to curb them but 2mg of estrogen daily seemed to help a bit. Of course 4 days of being on BCP was life changing for me but obviously if you are thinking about a FET you would consult your doctor.

July 14th, 2012, 10:20 pm #5

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I assumed my night sweats and hot flashes were estrogen-related when in fact it turned out they were due to low thyroid. An endocrinologist diagnosed me after my regular primary care doc failed to recognize all the signs and the initial thyroid tests came back within the normal range. That range, by the way, is enormous - almost everyone falls into the normal range. It often takes an endocrinologist to recognize the signs and order further tests (a regular endocrinologst not a reproductive endocrinologist). Just wanted to plant the seed because we high FSHers assume things are related to our reproductive hormones but it can be something else.

Good luck to you,
Sarah

CW15
CW15

July 14th, 2012, 11:15 pm #6

I was going to reply that my thyroid tests are normal but maybe I'll look into this further. Thanks everyone for your responses!