Honest opinions & insight needed! Please read (LONG post)

Honest opinions & insight needed! Please read (LONG post)

Cee
Cee

April 11th, 2011, 3:36 pm #1

Dilemma: to stay with Check/Cooper or not?
I know that many people credit them with their success, and thats why I went out there and why Im still with them. However, since my consult appt on Jan. 6th, Ive had one IUI done, and that was done while I was in NJ. Since then Ive had 2 cycles where Ive been monitored a LOT and then nothing has happened. The first one they just decided not to do anything with, the 2nd one they thought I was ovulating early, which we found out later wasnt the case and I actually ovulated about 2 weeks after that. This cycle seems to progressing fine so far, this morning I had 2 follicles on my right at 17 & 18.
Not once on any of these cycles have I been on any stims. 2 months ago Cooper called in a prescription for me for Bravelle. On Friday I said something to the nurse about it and she goes, You have Bravelle? When did you get that? I told her I got it 2 months ago when they called in the prescription. She said it wasnt in my file anywhere. Almost every time I go in for b/w & u/s theres an issue because Cooper hasnt gotten the order over to my clinic. Ive had one nurse at Cooper tell me one thing and then the next nurse tell me something different.
I am frustrated. I have a $10,000 lifetime max on my insurance and I am just BURNING through that (doesnt cover IUI or IVF but covers all testing & 50% of most meds). I HAD $5k in my FSA and Im already down to just $1k left. And I have ONE IUI to show for it.
This morning at my u/s I was telling the girl that does my ultrasounds (shes not the doctor but shes like a nurse practioner or similar) about them not knowing I had Bravelle. She has never said anything about what theyre doing with me, she told me that since Im not their patient it wouldnt be right. But this morning I was kind of telling her how frustrating this has been and she was basically like, OK. Im not saying anything, right? But if they dont do anything with you this cycle, I would be upset. She went on to say how some things shes questioned but has never said anything. But that today she had to say something because all I have to show for it is a ton of monitoring! She mentioned some of the things they would have done differently, which are things I had been thinking but never said anything about to Cooper because I figured they know what theyre doing. But then again, when I find out that they dont even know that they prescribed me a certain medication, it makes me wonder how much theyre really paying attention and know whats going on with me.
The clinic Im going to now is a small clinic and when I first started going to them I told them I had high FSH and thats why I went to Cooper (because the first clinic I went to basically showed me to the door). They told me they would have cycled me, despite how high it is. Im wondering if I should just make the switch.
I also wonder if I should just move on to DE. Im just so conflicted.
My stats:
Highest CD3 FSH: 64
AFC: Generally 4-6 on CD3
AMH: unknown
Regular cycles, although shorter, lighter periods
Any insight or advice is welcome. If you made it this far, thanks.

Cee
Cee

April 11th, 2011, 3:39 pm #2

I have to do at least IUI. My husband has a condition where he doesn't produce any sperm (sertoli cell only).

JulesM
JulesM

April 11th, 2011, 4:16 pm #3

I know that many people credit them with their success, and thats why I went out there and why Im still with them. However, since my consult appt on Jan. 6th, Ive had one IUI done, and that was done while I was in NJ. Since then Ive had 2 cycles where Ive been monitored a LOT and then nothing has happened. The first one they just decided not to do anything with, the 2nd one they thought I was ovulating early, which we found out later wasnt the case and I actually ovulated about 2 weeks after that. This cycle seems to progressing fine so far, this morning I had 2 follicles on my right at 17 & 18.
Not once on any of these cycles have I been on any stims. 2 months ago Cooper called in a prescription for me for Bravelle. On Friday I said something to the nurse about it and she goes, You have Bravelle? When did you get that? I told her I got it 2 months ago when they called in the prescription. She said it wasnt in my file anywhere. Almost every time I go in for b/w & u/s theres an issue because Cooper hasnt gotten the order over to my clinic. Ive had one nurse at Cooper tell me one thing and then the next nurse tell me something different.
I am frustrated. I have a $10,000 lifetime max on my insurance and I am just BURNING through that (doesnt cover IUI or IVF but covers all testing & 50% of most meds). I HAD $5k in my FSA and Im already down to just $1k left. And I have ONE IUI to show for it.
This morning at my u/s I was telling the girl that does my ultrasounds (shes not the doctor but shes like a nurse practioner or similar) about them not knowing I had Bravelle. She has never said anything about what theyre doing with me, she told me that since Im not their patient it wouldnt be right. But this morning I was kind of telling her how frustrating this has been and she was basically like, OK. Im not saying anything, right? But if they dont do anything with you this cycle, I would be upset. She went on to say how some things shes questioned but has never said anything. But that today she had to say something because all I have to show for it is a ton of monitoring! She mentioned some of the things they would have done differently, which are things I had been thinking but never said anything about to Cooper because I figured they know what theyre doing. But then again, when I find out that they dont even know that they prescribed me a certain medication, it makes me wonder how much theyre really paying attention and know whats going on with me.
The clinic Im going to now is a small clinic and when I first started going to them I told them I had high FSH and thats why I went to Cooper (because the first clinic I went to basically showed me to the door). They told me they would have cycled me, despite how high it is. Im wondering if I should just make the switch.
My stats:
Cooper has a great reputation on this board but it sounds like your being overlooked. If it were me I think I would start looking into the other clinic. I recently switched clinics for similar reasons and I am soo happy I did. I say go with your gut.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 11th, 2011, 4:34 pm #4

My stats:
I think that if the local clinic thinks they can do a better job with your situation then you should make an appt. to hear what they have to say. Why not give yourself that benefit of another opinion?

Also, keep in mind that just because many women find success with Cooper doesn't mean every woman will. I think this is something that gets lost sometimes. I think that's part of the reason I stayed with Cornell for 5 cycles. It was Cornell for crying out loud! I was with the Dr. Davis. My FSH wasn't that bad...they should've been able to get me pregnant! They got KarenNJ, Katie, Betti, Whitney, Caitlin pregnant and in less tries! Why not me?! It's easy to, but you can't get caught up in the success stories of others because everyone is different.

And not everyone is up to the task of doing OOT monitoring and being on top of their cycle. Between the 3 clinics I cycled with (Local RE, Cornell and Cooper) there is always some degree of needing to be on top of a clinic. Unfortunately, balls get dropped all the time so you shouldn't take it personal (imagine how I felt when Cornell dropped the ball and didn't call me with my beta results on one of my cycles?!). That said, it is your money/benefits at stake here and so you need to make sure that it's being spent in a way that you feel comfortable with.

Whatever you decide with the local clinic, be very straight up with them. My motto is "put them in the hot seat!". Considering you have high FSH and severe MF, what are they going to do that will get you a good shot at success? And how long will their patience last? It's easy to say "we will cycle you." The issue is, "for how long before you push me to DE?"

If you do stay with Cooper, you should be making appts. for callbacks ALL THE TIME. Regardless of the clinic I was with, I always made sure I was having some verbal communication with my RE. You should always have a callback scheduled to coincide with the end of your cycle/beginning of next cycle.

As for DE...DH and I had made a game plan from early on to know what our steps would be in this journey. Based on some other life experiences we'd had in recent years, we learned that for situations like this...you have to have a game plan in place BEFORE emotions and circumstances get away from you. So that on down days when you feel desperate and out of control and lost, you can go back and say "oh yeah, that's what the game plan is, that's the next step." Now, the game plan may need to be tweaked, adjusted, whatever, but if you put together a framework from the very beginning, then it's just a lot easier later on to make those adjustments. Maybe that's what helped in being able to start the process for DE so quickly for me. I know some people were shocked when I was finally moving on to DE and perceived me as moving on so quickly but I'd been conditioned to the idea for a loooong while. Because way before I even completed my 9th IVF cycle, I had plan that said DE was next step.

Good luck!! And whatever your next big step is...the next immediate step is calling Cooper and getting a callback scheduled with a dr. right away.

maureen
maureen

April 11th, 2011, 4:41 pm #5

My stats:
My experience is that you need to push and work at getting a plan in place at Cooper. Otherwise, you end up in a monitoring/e2/p4 limbo which has been the magic trick for some, but doesn't work for all. They are great at closely watching your cycle, but you are left with deciding what to do with that knowledge.

Also, I found that if you want to do IVF there, you really need to push for it and get it jump started.

If you stay, get another consult, and don't leave the room until you have action plans in place. You should have multiple plans in place for example what to do if fsh is really high, mid high, or if you've gotten it down. Also, what if this approach doesn't work, what else can be tried. Plan out your next few months and attempts.

You really need to be the watchdog on your $$'s and how you want to spend them. For me, if a cycle wasn't going in the right direction, I would cancel and wait for another, but at Cooper they will happily keep monitoring you every other day to see what happens unless you take action.

The other option is to go someplace different. Whatever option you decide, be upfront that you have x dollars and want to do IUI or whatever within a specific timeframe.

GL!
Maureen

Tanya
Tanya

April 11th, 2011, 5:02 pm #6

My stats:
I agree with the advice everyone has already provided but wanted to provide my thoughts.

Regarding you 10k max on infertility, that is exactly what I had and I watched it disappear in front of me. So I have learned to question the bills and closely monitor them (my insurance is one of my favorite URLs so I can see what is being billed and what is being paid). Depending on your situation, Cooper may be willing to recode your blood/ ultrasound as something other then infertility such as diagnostic. After all it sounds like you are trying to understand what your body is doing which could be considered diagnostic. The standard blood/ ultrasound sheet from Cooper is automatically coded as infertility so Im guessing that is what your local clinic is using.

I am also an OOT patient with Cooper and I have learned to be prepared with my questions and when they do the call back I always ask them for an explanation. Not to say you are not already doing that but someone gave me that advice and it has helped me a lot.
I recently had a phone consult with Dr. Cohen and was very impressed with her knowledge and she came up with the game plan for me. I left the conversation believing there are definitive next steps.

Whether you try the local clinic is a personal decision but I agree with others that it cant hurt to have a consult with them. If you do have a consult, I would ask how they code the blood and ultrasound tests because even if they cost more to do IVF, it could save you money if that is covered under diagnostic as opposed to infertility.

Cee
Cee

April 11th, 2011, 5:21 pm #7

My stats:
Thanks everyone, for the advice thus far. I have a lot to think about. I think I will set up a consult with the clinic doing my monitoring just to see what they say.

Also, sorry about the lack of punctuation in my original post. I typed it out in Word since I'm at work, then copied and pasted it and it apparently lost most punctuation!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 11th, 2011, 5:26 pm #8

Since I was afraid of the browser getting shut down or something going wrong with the web page, I'd type long posts in Word and then copy and paste onto here. BUT, came to find out that all the formatting and punctuation and line breaks, etc. are lost!

Good luck!

MargieD
MargieD

April 11th, 2011, 9:31 pm #9

My stats:
The same thing happened to me this past cycle. They didn't know that we had Cetrotide even though they ordered it with the Bravelle over a month ago. (Not sure why they thought we had the Bravelle and not the Cetrotide even though they warned us how expensive the Cetrotide was! Bravelle is NOT cheap either!)

When this happened, I told DH that we were going to make sure that every time we talked to the nurse - they were aware of what we had and what we planned to do with this cycle.

It bothered me...yes... but...after each cycle - they would tell us what they learned about the cycle. It's been two cycles and I really believe that Coopers knows more about my cycles than my previous three REs combined AND MORE. My previous RE who helped us conceive DD with IVF probably wouldn't be able to tell you that I ovulate but don't release. I HATE that it's slow... but I'm hoping that he gets all of the information that he needs so that I can TTC #2 and possibly TTC #3.

And... you know... I already know that the REs around here wouldn't be able to do anything for me - that is - unless I go with an RE two hours away in a different direction.... so... it's dealing with the lesser of the several evils... I guess...

For right now... we're giving Coopers about six months before we decide what to do next... but meanwhile - we're going to learn to "creatively communicate" with Coopers to make sure they have all of the information they need for maximum success / education in each cycle....

Good luck... I know it's so frustrating!!!

Jamie
Jamie

April 12th, 2011, 12:46 am #10

My stats:
They are known for moving pretty slowly and trying timed intercourse and IUI before they move on to IVF. This can be a really good thing; for me, it is not a good thing. There are just SO many patients that it is hard for them to keep track of people, and you have to keep advocating for them to push forward. Check wanted to put me on progesterone support and timed intercourse and see what happened, and I was 38.5 years old at the time, so for me the issue was TIME, not money. I said, hey, we know I have antisperm antibodies with 100% attachment to the sperm head; this is not going to work. He said I'd believe that if we have a postcoital. I said natural intercourse does not work because I've been doing it for years with no results, plus I have the antisperm antibody blood tests for CCRM showing this.

I pushed him to IVF right away and I did get pregnant and had a chemical pg. One good thing is if you say this is what I want he will generally do it, but if you leave it to him he will tend to go more slowly and conservatively (especially given your age).

I then moved to my current RE, Houston Fertility Institute. I found them much more receptive to the idea of doing IVF right away and incredibly organized and on top of my case. In fact, to my RE, Dr. Gill, it was a no-brainer to just go straight to IVF given my history. My first IVF cycle yielded my daughter who is now five days old.

Where are you located? There may be a local RE who has a GREAT lab (critical!) and will know how to stim you properly (probably minimal to no prior suppression, antagonist protocol, etc.). The great news is that at your very young age your eggs should be excellent, even if there aren't that many. If you don't mind going to IVF I'd probably move to that fairly quickly since the IUI did not work, or maybe do one more but then go on to IVF. I think this endless monitoring is not helpful.