High FSH/low AMH, need advice!

High FSH/low AMH, need advice!

Bonica
Bonica

June 6th, 2012, 2:01 am #1

Hello Ladies! I need your help!

I am 38 years old, recently diagnosed with DOR. My CD 3 FSH = 23; AMH=0.16. I am devastated My RE said that the only option for me is IUI, he will not do IVF. I am not sure what to do now: to proceed with IUI or try to find an RE that will do IVF? What do you think, ladies? Has anyone here had a similar situation to mine and has been successful with IUI?
Does anyone know a good RE in Boston area who will do IVF with my numbers? Also, does anyone know a good acupuncturist, specializing in infertility?

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 6th, 2012, 2:21 am #2

Sorry you are experiencing this. I am also 38, highest FSH 23.4/AMH .3. I am starting my 4th IVF.

I did 2 IVF cycles with B.righam before they kicked me out unless I use DE. Where are you now? Dr. C.ardone in Stoneham will likely cycle you. I had a consult with him last Dec. but chose to go out of state instead. He is the most high FSH friendly doc in the Boston area in my opinion. He was going to do a low stim IVF for me-- I never get more than 3 eggs and they were crappy quality with high stims.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

June 6th, 2012, 2:24 am #3

I am 38 years old, recently diagnosed with DOR. My CD 3 FSH = 23; AMH=0.16. I am devastated My RE said that the only option for me is IUI, he will not do IVF. I am not sure what to do now: to proceed with IUI or try to find an RE that will do IVF? What do you think, ladies? Has anyone here had a similar situation to mine and has been successful with IUI?
Does anyone know a good RE in Boston area who will do IVF with my numbers? Also, does anyone know a good acupuncturist, specializing in infertility?

Thanks in advance!
I am so sorry, Bonica. Everyone here and on the Over 40 Board (which I am jumping in from) has been in your shoes and it is so very, very hard to handle emotionally.
Big hugs to you. I remember the day I spoke with my first RE and it still hurts and that was 6 years ago.

From these boards I found Dr. Cardone in Stoneham and loved him. I am assuming you have insurance coverage. If so, he is a great option. We did 4 IUI's and 1 IVF and had our daughter via that IVF at age 41. I am out of coverage now and we are fully self-pay and go to Albany - a clinic call CNY Fertility and we are very happy with them. If money wasn't an issue and we had coverage still we would have stayed with Dr. Cardone.

Do a search on this board and the over 40 board on "Boston RE's" and you'll find some good dialogue.

Good luck, Bonica. I'm so sorry that you are joining these boards but you found a great place to help support you through this journey.

Julie
Julie

June 6th, 2012, 2:50 am #4

Thanks in advance!
My RE gave me a 3% chance with IUI, 10-15% chance with IVF (FSH=14.7, AMH 0.4). It really depends on how aggressive you want to be. But generally speaking, it is said after 3 IUIs one should consider to move on to IVF. IVF is a more aggressive approach. But for us high FSHers, time is precious. My RE let me chose whether to do a few rounds of IUIs and then go to IVF or go to IVF directly. I researched when I was first diagnosed and chose IVF. But I also knew there are people who got pregnant through IUIs.

Since your current RE would not do IVF, you have to find a RE who will. Many people on this board choose to work with out-of-state high FSH friendly REs, such as Dr Davis at Cornell medical and Dr. Check.

Be aware that non FSH-friendly RES tend to paint a very negative picture. But until you try, no one can predict what the outcome will be for you. If you read more on this board, you will find many encouraging stories.

June 6th, 2012, 3:35 am #5

Thanks in advance!
Hi there,

Sorry you got the difficult news, but it's not the end of the road for you. I'm glad you found these boards, they're such a lifeline. I'm echoing the others about Dr. C.ardone in Stoneham. I wasted some time with other REs in the Boston area who really didn't want to help me. Dr. C. was so different.

My highest known fsh was 27.2 and my amh was .39. In 2008 (when I was 38), he helped me conceive my now almost 3-year-old son. It was on my third (and last) low-stim IUI while preparing for IVF. Then, last year (at 41), we decided to try again. Shockingly, I got PG naturally while he was monitoring me to see how we'd proceed with treatment. My DS is now 6 mos old.

Dr. C. won't do IVF on everyone. He likes to go to retrieval with at least three follies, I believe. At least that's what he told me he wanted in my situation. Since I was producing around 3 on very low stims, he was willing to do IVF. In the end, I didn't need it, though.

What I also loved about Dr. C. was how thorough he was. None of the other REs did anything beyond u/s's and testing my FSH. Dr. C. performed a hysteroscopy during which he found and removed large polyps. He also was good about testing my thyroid and immune issues.

Wishing you all the best no matter who you end up with. Keep us posted.

Hugs,
Meg

JP
JP

June 6th, 2012, 7:39 pm #6

Thanks in advance!
I also had FSH of 23 when I was 38. I'm in MA and my insurance covered 3 IUIs before they would cover IVF. My FSH had to be below 15 which it was, barely, at the time. All 3 IUIs were unsuccessful and then my FSH went up to 23 so I was "sidelined" I started following tons of advice that I read here: I cut out caffeine and cut down on alcohol, I started eating much healthier (no processed foods, mostly organic, tons of friuts and veggies), I started taking wheatgrass pills, I started excercising and I started going to accupucture. I was a patient at Boston IVF and their Waltham office was connected to the Domar Center (check it out). I don't know if any of those things helped but my FSH did get back to just below 15 and I was able to do IVF which was successful on the first try - I had my son just after I turned 39. If you can, I would say go straight to IVF but it also depends on your particular issues. For me, I don't think IUI would have ever worked but for others it does. You need an RE who is going to work with you and be open to all the possiblilities. Boston IVF gets mixed reviews here but I was happy with them for the most part. I loved my accupucturist at the Domar Center, Michelle - she went above and beyond to help me. I saw other accus there too and they were also great but Michelle was awesome. Along with Michelle and the Docs at BIVF, I have to give credit to this board for my success because of all the great things I learned here. It also helped me to keep my sanity during the whole process.Here is a link to a great site that a woman from this board put togetherhttp://highfshinfo.com
You really have come to the right place. You'll get tons of great advice from some very smart and caring women.I wish you luck!

Bonica
Bonica

June 6th, 2012, 8:15 pm #7

Sorry you are experiencing this. I am also 38, highest FSH 23.4/AMH .3. I am starting my 4th IVF.

I did 2 IVF cycles with B.righam before they kicked me out unless I use DE. Where are you now? Dr. C.ardone in Stoneham will likely cycle you. I had a consult with him last Dec. but chose to go out of state instead. He is the most high FSH friendly doc in the Boston area in my opinion. He was going to do a low stim IVF for me-- I never get more than 3 eggs and they were crappy quality with high stims.
Thank you for your message!
I am currently at Reproductive Science Center in Lexington. I will call Dr.Cardone asap! Thanks again and best of luck to you!

Bonica
Bonica

June 6th, 2012, 8:28 pm #8

Thanks in advance!
Thank you all so much for responding! All your positive stories and comments make me hopeful !
I'll call Dr.Cardone asap and I'll keep you posted! Thanks again for your support!!!

Laura
Laura

June 7th, 2012, 3:25 am #9

Thanks in advance!
My highest CD3 fsh was 22. I was 29 at the time. I had 2 OBs tell me that I was in premature menopause and I wouldn't be able to conceive or carry to term. I went to an RE who just shrugged and gave me some e2 supplementation. That same cycle I got pg naturally. Sadly it ended in m/c but on my 3rd cycle after m/c I got pg again naturally, no pills or anything. I'm now almost 7 wk and the hb is visible on u/s, so my chances of m/c again are considered very low.

You need to find a Dr who will work with you. It sounds like you have some good leads on REs in your area. Good luck!

Naya
Naya

June 16th, 2012, 4:29 am #10

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

so sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I've had some similar news. My first IVF was converted to IUI and resulted in my healthy daughter 2 years ago. Now, trying again at 41, my 2nd IVF had no success. I am waiting to talk to the dr. to see what to do next. I have found this center in NYC listed below that seems to mostly treat us older gals with diminished ovarian reserve and high fsh. I don't know why your dr. would only suggest IUI, the success rate is generally much lower and could tie up the valuable time that you have left. I wonder if he does not treat very many women over 35. Please go to this website and read the information for older women, it is very informative even if you are not able to go there. I have not contacted them yet, am waiting on my current dr.'s advice. There are specific ivf protocols especially for those over 35 with these problems. These include taking DHEA for a period of up to 4 months, and also estrogen before doing IVF. There is a lot of info. on the web regarding the following supplements that may help, just do a google search. Melatonin 3mg, myo-inositiol, or inositol 4 grams a day, resveratrol 500mg 2x day, folic acid, pycnogenol 100mg. 2x day. Also, chinese acupuncture and herbs. Find an acupuncturis who specializes in fertility. Should be easy in the Boston area. These should be done for a couple months before IVF. Good luck and hang in there. I totally understand how you feel right now.

http://www.centerforhumanreprod.com/

Naya