High FSH at 25? OR...

High FSH at 25? OR...

July 18th, 2012, 11:16 pm #1

Hello everyone,i am new here, nice to meet you all )

I am 25 years old, about to turn 26. I have one daughter born 21 months ago, and i was thinking that i was going to go for number two...
BUT before i went through the whole stress of it again, i decided taht i should check my FSH levels -they were 8.1. My OBGYN says "thats compleatly normaL" but i know that it is VERY high for my age...correct?
I have an appointment with the RE on friday, but i feel myself slowly going insane.
I just wanted more info from you guys since i think this is the most usefull and information-full forum.
So, ...how bad IS my fsh for this age? how fast will it increase? from what i understand mu eggs are like those of a 43 year old???? i never had a AMH test and quite honestly i dont think i can go through the stress of it.....

but lets say the first time i concieved 2 years ago almost....how much worse could the situation have gotten?

And as i understand it....there is nothingi can do to improve my chances....lowering wont matter...rigth?

thank you all so much!

PS.1st baby was concieved after 7 months of trying ,and then i got really irritated and stressed that it was not happening , went to the store and got clomid, and got pregnant from the first try on the lowest dose. - at that time i had myself convinced i was not ovulating or that i was but it was not good (the funnny thing is that every time i stress myself out about soemthing compleatly random , i am right about it......i hope i am not right this time about AMH )

Laura
Laura

July 19th, 2012, 12:22 am #2

8 is well within the normal range, but for someone your age it is not a glowing report. That being said, because you are so young and your level is 'normal' I would make sure your dr tests you a few times before making any conclusions. FSH can vary from cycle to cycle, and since this is not a routine test, there isn't as much data available as for like a CBC or TSH. so I don't see any reason to panic.

Now that you have found this board, stay off other sites about fSH. A lot of the info is outdated. The women here are much more knowledgeable than any other site I've seen, and even a few drs I have seen. There is no reason to believe you won't get baby #2 with your level as it is right now. Women here have had success with much higher (myself included). I hope this helps!

July 19th, 2012, 2:05 am #3

thank you so much for responding. Can you elaborate a little bit....does this mean that i will be out of eggs by the time i am 35 or something like that? i am so scared to meet with my doctor on firday...i cant even express myself. I am scared of what he will say- i want to get a amh test too but i dont know if i can take the stress of this...

Jess
Jess

July 19th, 2012, 4:00 pm #4

Hello everyone,i am new here, nice to meet you all )

I am 25 years old, about to turn 26. I have one daughter born 21 months ago, and i was thinking that i was going to go for number two...
BUT before i went through the whole stress of it again, i decided taht i should check my FSH levels -they were 8.1. My OBGYN says "thats compleatly normaL" but i know that it is VERY high for my age...correct?
I have an appointment with the RE on friday, but i feel myself slowly going insane.
I just wanted more info from you guys since i think this is the most usefull and information-full forum.
So, ...how bad IS my fsh for this age? how fast will it increase? from what i understand mu eggs are like those of a 43 year old???? i never had a AMH test and quite honestly i dont think i can go through the stress of it.....

but lets say the first time i concieved 2 years ago almost....how much worse could the situation have gotten?

And as i understand it....there is nothingi can do to improve my chances....lowering wont matter...rigth?

thank you all so much!

PS.1st baby was concieved after 7 months of trying ,and then i got really irritated and stressed that it was not happening , went to the store and got clomid, and got pregnant from the first try on the lowest dose. - at that time i had myself convinced i was not ovulating or that i was but it was not good (the funnny thing is that every time i stress myself out about soemthing compleatly random , i am right about it......i hope i am not right this time about AMH )
Hi...I am in a similar situation as you-
28 yrs old and have a 3 yr old son. My FSH seems to range from 6-8 depending on the month. My RE told me it's normal, but obviously the lower, the better. My AMH did come back very low (.6), but I don't put too much stock in that test bc it is very very new. Also, don't compare yourself to a 43 yr old- even if you have less eggs than someone else your age, your quality is still very good, and I think all REs would agree that age is probably the most important factor when TTC. My RE said that although I may have the same amount of eggs as a 38 yr old, it doesn't really matter since they are good quality and I am not looking to have 10 children over the next 10 years, you know?
If you get your AMH tested and it does come out low, my advice would be not to space out however many children you'd like to have too much! Keep in mind that a low AMH # is not affecting your chances to conceive right now (since your FSH is normal) - I look at it as something to be aware of for the future and planning your family.

Laura
Laura

July 19th, 2012, 7:55 pm #5

thank you so much for responding. Can you elaborate a little bit....does this mean that i will be out of eggs by the time i am 35 or something like that? i am so scared to meet with my doctor on firday...i cant even express myself. I am scared of what he will say- i want to get a amh test too but i dont know if i can take the stress of this...
It is possible you might be starting to have "diminished ovarian reserve", but the quantity of eggs doesn't matter nearly as much as quality, and your age is the biggest factor in estimating quality. Your AFC is still very good.

My advice for moving forward is to find a Dr who doesn't just look at one test result and tell you that you won't conceive again. Find one who wants to test a few cycles in a row.

Was your e2 tested? Are you having regular cycles?

Laura
Laura

July 19th, 2012, 7:56 pm #6

I thought I had read your AFC was 13. That must have been another recent post. Did you have an AFC done? Has DH been tested also?

July 19th, 2012, 11:39 pm #7

It is possible you might be starting to have "diminished ovarian reserve", but the quantity of eggs doesn't matter nearly as much as quality, and your age is the biggest factor in estimating quality. Your AFC is still very good.

My advice for moving forward is to find a Dr who doesn't just look at one test result and tell you that you won't conceive again. Find one who wants to test a few cycles in a row.

Was your e2 tested? Are you having regular cycles?
Hello, thank you a gain,

no i have not had the test done or E2. But, you know what i was wondering.....and i cant find info on this anywhere...
Lets just say that i got tested and i got a number like...6 or 5. No one would be worried then , and thats it. BUT since FSH fluctuates, maybe i had 6 that month but the next month i can get 8 or 9, and no one would know. So now, i got 8 but perhaps other months i have 6...so i am wondeing if the fluctuations are significant ONCE they pass that 10 mark....

July 20th, 2012, 1:01 am #8

Hi...I am in a similar situation as you-
28 yrs old and have a 3 yr old son. My FSH seems to range from 6-8 depending on the month. My RE told me it's normal, but obviously the lower, the better. My AMH did come back very low (.6), but I don't put too much stock in that test bc it is very very new. Also, don't compare yourself to a 43 yr old- even if you have less eggs than someone else your age, your quality is still very good, and I think all REs would agree that age is probably the most important factor when TTC. My RE said that although I may have the same amount of eggs as a 38 yr old, it doesn't really matter since they are good quality and I am not looking to have 10 children over the next 10 years, you know?
If you get your AMH tested and it does come out low, my advice would be not to space out however many children you'd like to have too much! Keep in mind that a low AMH # is not affecting your chances to conceive right now (since your FSH is normal) - I look at it as something to be aware of for the future and planning your family.
Hello

Thank you for telling me about your experience. So when your doctor told you about yoru fsh, what did he explain an fsh of 8 meant? I mean...some months you may be 6 which is supper good for our age, but 8 is iffi. Buuuuttt what i am wondering is....when it jumps around lets say from 8 to 12, THEN its the 12 thats predicting , not the 8 > BUTTTTTTTTTTT if it is jumping UNDER 10, then i gather that it is better...as in...its normal...correct?

i dont know if i should get my AMH tested because i am scared for my mental health after hahah.

So, if i have the number of eggs of a 38 yr old NOW, when i am like 35 i will be in menopause then...correct? i will be with no eggss...'

Jess
Jess

July 20th, 2012, 2:34 am #9

My RE actually didn't say anything abt my FSH # (I guess bc he considered it normal). He only spoke abt my low AMH and said that I shouldn't wait too long in between children and that I may consider going some treatments (IUI, IVF) sooner than someone else my age with a normal AMH bc I don't want to waste too much time.
If your FSH is under 10, I wouldn't lose so much sleep over it. For some reason, it does seem that a lot of REs only go with your highest # and totally discard the other, lower #s, but I don't think you should worry about that unless you actually come across a high FSH #.
I understand not wanting to get your AMH tested-- you don't really have to. Have you had any other testing done? Do you know the reason for your infertility? I would concentrate more on what's causing you to have trouble conceiving right now over what may be in the future.

In regards to menopause, I don't think any doctor can predict when it will happen based on one's FSH or AMH (or based on anything for that matter). My current RE told me that it could be I lost a portion of my reserve years ago and it's now depleting slowly, so I could go into menopause at an average age. Or, it could deplete quickly and it could happen in 5 years. However, after he saw that my AFC was 13, he guessed that if I really do have diminished reserve, it is probably on the "high end of low." I think taking a look at your AFC may be more worthwhile than having your AMH tested. And I would definitely try to find the reason for your infertility and focus on how you can up your chances so that you conceive as soon as possible.

Good luck to you!! With your age and the fact that you've already had a child, I'm sure your chances are very good!

July 20th, 2012, 3:00 am #10

Thank you so much for being so detailed and taking the time to answer my qs- they make alot of sense

I had trouble with the fist one:
you see, i normaly know i ovulated because my breast would hurt after. BUT after i moved to turkey i noticed that i no longer got that sensation. My periods became 31 days ON THE DOT- for 7 months i would get my period exactly on the 30th of every month, and i suspected i was ovulating LATE . BUT , i think that my lutheal phase was short-ish 10 days normaly, rarely more than that. SO, i got irritated , went to the drug store, took clomid once and got pregnant that month....

NOWWWW before i even start trying to concieve again, for some reason, i got it into my brain that i have a fsh problem, got tested 4 months after this obsesion began and i got that 8 number. my obgyn said that it was normal and dismissed me. THEN i decided to obsses once more and reaserch age specific and voila! MY NUMBER RESPONDS TO A 38-43 Y/O EGGS!!!! hahaha. so yes, i AM slowly going insane.
Oh, and now after the baby, i am ovulating but again , Luteal phase is like...13-11 days rarely more. my period is 29-28 days though, but a couple of months ago it was as short as 25 days once and as long as 30 days. I think after i reduced the breastfeeding it has gotten better.
thats my story....how about you, what is the cause of your infertility?