Here we go again

Here we go again

NY10
NY10

April 9th, 2012, 5:15 pm #1

So we're doing it again - our 4th (and last) try at IVF - can't believe it. I had ET yesterday and, for the first time ever, they got two eggs. One follicle was 20mm and the other was 15.5mm so I thought I would only have a chance with one egg but they rang today and said that both have fertilized normally. I'm not getting my hopes up though since my last two ERs have both resulted in multinucleated embryos. They're going to call tomorrow to let me know how things are going - I'm theoretically scheduled for ET on Weds but there's a long way to go yet. Day 2 is normally when the multinucleation shows up i.e. when the embryo gets to two cells. This is definitely our last try as I really don't think I can do this again, so universe, it's now or never.

Houston
Houston

April 9th, 2012, 5:32 pm #2

Good luck! Great that you have two to work with!

Sara H
Sara H

April 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm #3

So we're doing it again - our 4th (and last) try at IVF - can't believe it. I had ET yesterday and, for the first time ever, they got two eggs. One follicle was 20mm and the other was 15.5mm so I thought I would only have a chance with one egg but they rang today and said that both have fertilized normally. I'm not getting my hopes up though since my last two ERs have both resulted in multinucleated embryos. They're going to call tomorrow to let me know how things are going - I'm theoretically scheduled for ET on Weds but there's a long way to go yet. Day 2 is normally when the multinucleation shows up i.e. when the embryo gets to two cells. This is definitely our last try as I really don't think I can do this again, so universe, it's now or never.
Finger's crossed and hang in there! (NT)

Erin
Erin

April 9th, 2012, 7:50 pm #4

Congratulations on your 2 eggs and hoping for good news for you in the coming days/weeks. It is all really, really exhausting- I'm going into my 4th cycle as well. Here's hoping this is it for you!

Ny10
Ny10

April 9th, 2012, 8:08 pm #5

Thanks, very kind of you. Yeah, we'll see what happens. I've been told that the chance of having a multinucleated embryo is around 10% per cycle and that the fact that I've had two in a row is more than a coincidence and is likely a sign of poor quality eggs. so, while I'm obviously hoping for the best, I'm also aware that there's a likelihood that I might not get to ET this time either. For me, this period after fertilization and day 2 is always the worst part of the whole process. I keep thinking about that 9am calls I've had in the past when they say that the embryo is two cells but......it's impossible not to think about it every moment of the day and be wishing with all your might that it turns out okay. I'm hoping that with two I might have a better chance of getting one which isn't multinucleated. anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait and see until tomorrow. thanks

Laura
Laura

April 9th, 2012, 8:39 pm #6

i know it's hard, but just keep thinking about your two little embies, and who knows, you might end up with double trouble! good luck!

b&a72
b&a72

April 9th, 2012, 8:49 pm #7

My 4th and final try ended up being my successful cycle so hopefully you have the same luck!

mel
mel

April 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm #8

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Erin
Erin

April 9th, 2012, 9:24 pm #9

Thanks, very kind of you. Yeah, we'll see what happens. I've been told that the chance of having a multinucleated embryo is around 10% per cycle and that the fact that I've had two in a row is more than a coincidence and is likely a sign of poor quality eggs. so, while I'm obviously hoping for the best, I'm also aware that there's a likelihood that I might not get to ET this time either. For me, this period after fertilization and day 2 is always the worst part of the whole process. I keep thinking about that 9am calls I've had in the past when they say that the embryo is two cells but......it's impossible not to think about it every moment of the day and be wishing with all your might that it turns out okay. I'm hoping that with two I might have a better chance of getting one which isn't multinucleated. anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait and see until tomorrow. thanks
I totally hear you NY10, but a couple of thoughts... First, I think we all find "patterns" in our past experiences to help us prepare for the terrible disappointments we're so used to (I know I do!). While I understand why you'd look at your last 2 experiences and see the multinucleated embryos and get ready to hear that in your fert report this time, it's important to remember that these are 2 new eggs. Maybe it was bad luck that you had this issue with your embryos in the past, or maybe there is a quality issue with some of your eggs. BUT, out of your 1000s of eggs that you have left, I can't believe that they will all make multinucleated embryos. You're exhausted and spent after 4 IVF cycles and that totally makes sense, but there's reason to hope that you've found at least one good one! Hoping you get a good rest tonight and a great report tomorrow!

NY10
NY10

April 9th, 2012, 10:17 pm #10

Thanks guys, you are all so great - I really appreciate the positive messages and vibes. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. I called the lab to get an update and they wouldn't tell me anything, just that they are fertilized normally and that they'll call me tomorrow (nurse sounded a little miffed that I'd call, which is totally understandable). In the past the multinucleation has shown up on day 2, so I should know tomorrow what's what. However, the nurse did say that multinucleation can also show up on day 3, which would be t'fer day, so just because it isn't there on day 2 doesn't mean it's all clear yet. However, she did say that if it hasn't shown up by day 3, it's probably not going to. just have to wait and see, and deal with it as it comes I guess.