Help please: second Dr. C visit... BAD CM... any ideas?

Help please: second Dr. C visit... BAD CM... any ideas?

Sara H
Sara H

May 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm #1

We went down today for our second visit.

Good news:
Estrogen up to 195
FSH- 15
P.- .2

My lining was 'triple pattern' and 10, which she said was "great".
And, they found TWO follicles, one 10 and one 13 on my usually quite right side! So, all very good.

Now, I got my orders: they want me to:
add Menapur, 75ml for two nights and then go back again on Friday. (What? I did not know we were adding injections?)

The Bad news: took the post-coital and we FAILED. Big time. Totally. After 12 hours they only saw a couple of sperm, all dead. Ugggg!

And also bad: If we have to go to IUI, which it looks like we will, my insurance will pay for NOTHING. Not one single test. (I had a long chat with the billing ladies today, very nice, but this is BAD news.)

So the Question: They are going to have me try the baking soda douche thing and re-test. Has that ever worked for anyone? Does anyone have any ideas??? I have been checking online and not found any information but could my UTI meds be messing up my CM? (The nurse did not think so.)

Anyone have any idea???

Thanks, Ladies!

Tanya
Tanya

May 11th, 2011, 9:57 pm #2

I'm sorry to hear this Sara! I'm confused because I was going to get the test and was told timing is everything and you can only do it right before ovulation. Also your e2 needs to be above 200 I was told.
Have u tried the mucinex 2x per day?

I would ask the nurses about the timing because when I went for my consult and they tried to do it, they didn't see anything and I was told not to worry because of the cd.

Jamie
Jamie

May 11th, 2011, 10:04 pm #3

Good news:
Estrogen up to 195
FSH- 15
P.- .2

And, they found TWO follicles, one 10 and one 13 on my usually quite right side! So, all very good.

add Menapur, 75ml for two nights and then go back again on Friday. (What? I did not know we were adding injections?)

The Bad news: took the post-coital and we FAILED. Big time. Totally. After 12 hours they only saw a couple of sperm, all dead. Ugggg!

And also bad: If we have to go to IUI, which it looks like we will, my insurance will pay for NOTHING. Not one single test. (I had a long chat with the billing ladies today, very nice, but this is BAD news.)

So the Question: They are going to have me try the baking soda douche thing and re-test. Has that ever worked for anyone? Does anyone have any ideas??? I have been checking online and not found any information but could my UTI meds be messing up my CM? (The nurse did not think so.)

Anyone have any idea???

Thanks, Ladies!
Hi Sara,
This was my problem too, and you may have now found why you haven't been able to get pregnant. I went through extensive testing and found that I have 100% antisperm antibodies, meaning that my immune system takes down every sperm that crosses my path, thus no sperm would survive my CM. The good news is that if this is your problem your outlook is probably very good if you can move on to IUI or IVF. I ended up doing IVF with ICSI, and had my baby a month ago (I am 39 too!).

Definitely try the baking soda douche--it would not work for me, but it may work for you. But IUI may solve the problem entirely and shouldn't cost that much if you have to do it.

Good luck!

May 11th, 2011, 10:42 pm #4

Good news:
Estrogen up to 195
FSH- 15
P.- .2

Anyone have any idea???

Thanks, Ladies!
didn't know about the baking soda thing. What does it do and when do you do it?

So the news is unsettling but on the upside, it sounds like you/they are onto something with this!

I saw Tanya's post. I can't comment on timing since I never had that conversation and for my situation it was moot because when I did go in for that pre-O b/w I was already surging. Maybe they see the E2 195 reading as "close enough" to make a determination? Don't know.

What are your UTI meds?

Congrats on the 2 follies! Keep them pumping!

maureen
maureen

May 11th, 2011, 11:21 pm #5

Good news:
Estrogen up to 195
FSH- 15
P.- .2

Anyone have any idea???

Thanks, Ladies!
Hi SarahH,

I too thought it was a crazy idea, but it works for me. It seems that my ph is off and the baking soda corrects that.

Also like Tanya said the test should be done just before ovulation, so it could be too eary too.

Hope the baking soda does the trick for you too.
Maureen

Sara H
Sara H

May 12th, 2011, 12:32 am #6

I'm sorry to hear this Sara! I'm confused because I was going to get the test and was told timing is everything and you can only do it right before ovulation. Also your e2 needs to be above 200 I was told.
Have u tried the mucinex 2x per day?

I would ask the nurses about the timing because when I went for my consult and they tried to do it, they didn't see anything and I was told not to worry because of the cd.
OK, will try Mucinex, good thought!

It could be too soon but the nurse thought the CM looked good, some cloudy but a bunch clear so she thought that was enough. And my E2 was only a few points under 200... but it was still under.

It was just sooo disheartening since there were sooo few and they were all dead. All.

We retest on Friday... finger's crossed!

Thanks!

Sara H
Sara H

May 12th, 2011, 12:39 am #7

Hi Sara,
This was my problem too, and you may have now found why you haven't been able to get pregnant. I went through extensive testing and found that I have 100% antisperm antibodies, meaning that my immune system takes down every sperm that crosses my path, thus no sperm would survive my CM. The good news is that if this is your problem your outlook is probably very good if you can move on to IUI or IVF. I ended up doing IVF with ICSI, and had my baby a month ago (I am 39 too!).

Definitely try the baking soda douche--it would not work for me, but it may work for you. But IUI may solve the problem entirely and shouldn't cost that much if you have to do it.

Good luck!
That does make me feel better.

You are right, if this is part of the puzzle that is a huge thing... now I am just miffed that NO other dr tested this! NONE! GRRRR!

We will try everything we can before Friday. Needing IUI would be a big problem of added bills for us. Not good.

Thank you for sharing, thinking that at least this is an answer is a big help!

Thank you!

May 12th, 2011, 1:10 am #8

Good news:
Estrogen up to 195
FSH- 15
P.- .2

Anyone have any idea???

Thanks, Ladies!
Sara! I must have just missed you today I was in there at 8am - drove from PA. Ahhhh!!! I had a very similar situation. My follicle was 18 and my E2 came to 240. I had my LH surge (we bed last night b/c I did b/w and u/s yesterday and they thought I might be surging already). I too "failed" the post coital . . . maybe it's the microscope? wishful thinking. She did mention the baking soda "trick" it makes sense since it's a neutralizer but I am too late. We decided to go ahead with the IUI since this is the first time I've O'd or had a follicle in 9 months so I figure it might be my only chance for the next 9 months and I am going for it. I moved mountains today to rearrange work and I am going to do it again tomorrow. As horrible as this sounds my husband was mortified about his sperm and for a tiny moment I think he felt what I am going through with all our "fertility issues" wrapped up in my broken hormones. Good Luck with what you decide! Hope it's a great cycle for you!

Sara H.
Sara H.

May 12th, 2011, 1:14 am #9

didn't know about the baking soda thing. What does it do and when do you do it?

So the news is unsettling but on the upside, it sounds like you/they are onto something with this!

I saw Tanya's post. I can't comment on timing since I never had that conversation and for my situation it was moot because when I did go in for that pre-O b/w I was already surging. Maybe they see the E2 195 reading as "close enough" to make a determination? Don't know.

What are your UTI meds?

Congrats on the 2 follies! Keep them pumping!
It's part baking soda, part water and douche 30 mins to 60 before BD.

I am just interested because then my body would keep making CM, wouldn't that come in an kill any left-over swimmers? I don't know.

2)Yes, we are so happy about the lining and follicles, very happy, though not so happy about more shots! Still, whatever will help.

3)Could be the timing, those are good thoughts, though they thought it was close enough to try. It was just so totally unexpected to see nothing... nothing. I was looking at the microscope image and she did not need to say anything, we could totally see for ourselves. The nurse was so kind and she seemed surprised, too, that it was so bad.

4)UTI meds:
Ciprofloxacin: 250 twice a day
Phenazopyridine: 100 three times a day

The second one is the pain killer, which I should be OK without this point, so I am going to stop it tonight. It was totally up to me when i wanted to start or stop.

5) YES, 2! They kept asking me if I had been stimming! Ha!
Two, from the quite side... exciting, right?

So, now I'm on the Grow Grow Grow train! We'll see how they do.

Thank you, Mrs. A!

Jamie
Jamie

May 12th, 2011, 1:24 am #10

That does make me feel better.

You are right, if this is part of the puzzle that is a huge thing... now I am just miffed that NO other dr tested this! NONE! GRRRR!

We will try everything we can before Friday. Needing IUI would be a big problem of added bills for us. Not good.

Thank you for sharing, thinking that at least this is an answer is a big help!

Thank you!
I think a lot of women with "unexplained" infertility have some sort of hostile cervical factor and RE's don't test for it--from this board both Alli and I had it, and both found success. For me some REs have blamed it on high FSH meaning my eggs were bad--but my last IVF proved that my eggs are perfectly fine and the high FSH meant nothing.

The GOOD news is that if this is the reason you have not been able to conceive it means that it's not your tubes, uterus, egg quality, etc. It's actually a very positive diagnosis in that once intervention takes place success tends to happen more easily than it does for women with other problems.

Good luck!