Hello! New RE patient due to high FSH

Hello! New RE patient due to high FSH

March 22nd, 2011, 11:18 pm #1

Hi! I'm so happy to have found this forum! This past week I was diagnosed with a high FSH level (17.9) I'm 34. My AFC was 1-2 on left side and 3 on right side. (sorry if terminology is incorrect!) The RE told me that once I have an x-ray to look at my tubes (though they don't think there's an issue with them though) they want to try and see if I respond to stimulation? Anybody have any tips on the meds that worked for them? I'm so new to this and trying to take it all in but it is a bit overwhelming!
Other info that might help is to let you know I take 1/2 of a 25mg cabergoline tab once a week for high prolactin. That is normal now though last test was 3.19. My estradiol levels were normal at 25, my LH was 9.25. Is there anything else that I should be tested for do you think? I'm wondering if an AMH test should be requested or if that's a little too much since they did the AFC (ultrasound) all ready? I will take any and all advice that I can! Thank you!

Other info:
DH 40 no sperm test yet but going next week
I have children conceived naturally from a previous marriage
with no complications for any of the births, all vaginal deliveries

Jackie
Jackie

March 23rd, 2011, 2:46 am #2

... visit the secondary IF high FSH board. This board is mostly populated by women who have never conceived/birthed live children.

Good luck with your medications. The fact that you did conceive and have live births in the past is a good sign for you. For most of us, it's a long road, but these boards are helpful for education and support.

Sch1star
Sch1star

March 23rd, 2011, 3:29 am #3

Hi! I'm so happy to have found this forum! This past week I was diagnosed with a high FSH level (17.9) I'm 34. My AFC was 1-2 on left side and 3 on right side. (sorry if terminology is incorrect!) The RE told me that once I have an x-ray to look at my tubes (though they don't think there's an issue with them though) they want to try and see if I respond to stimulation? Anybody have any tips on the meds that worked for them? I'm so new to this and trying to take it all in but it is a bit overwhelming!
Other info that might help is to let you know I take 1/2 of a 25mg cabergoline tab once a week for high prolactin. That is normal now though last test was 3.19. My estradiol levels were normal at 25, my LH was 9.25. Is there anything else that I should be tested for do you think? I'm wondering if an AMH test should be requested or if that's a little too much since they did the AFC (ultrasound) all ready? I will take any and all advice that I can! Thank you!

Other info:
Welcome Jessica! You could certainly request an AMH. It seems to have somewhat fallen out of favor, but it is still part of the picture of ovarian reserve.

It sounds like you are coming up to speed fast. I think I'd just recommend you take your time to find an RE you are comfortable with. You will probably find some are more "high fsh friendly" than others. And make sure you are taking prenatals!

You will find lots of info here. Best of luck to you!

March 23rd, 2011, 11:55 am #4

Other info:
Secondary board here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/650446/

Note - you need to join as it's a closed board.

Grad
Grad

March 23rd, 2011, 5:48 pm #5

Other info:
Your stats aren't much different than mine when I started, I did ultimately find success but it was indeed a long road. Just rest up and prepare yourself with all the information you can get your hands on. You will find this place a great resource.

If you mention children just warn folks in parens like I did in my message title. Although, I doubt you'll need to mention it again, as it's usually not pertinent to what you're dealing with now. Contrary to what some might say, I think are a large % of women on here are dealing with secondary infertility, and while there's another board for issues directly related to that, you can get a lot of information here, so please keep coming back.

Good luck to you.

JP (grad)
JP (grad)

March 23rd, 2011, 5:59 pm #6

You've come to the right place. These women are amazing and you will learn a lot here - good luck!

Jenna
Jenna

March 23rd, 2011, 10:14 pm #7

Your stats aren't much different than mine when I started, I did ultimately find success but it was indeed a long road. Just rest up and prepare yourself with all the information you can get your hands on. You will find this place a great resource.

If you mention children just warn folks in parens like I did in my message title. Although, I doubt you'll need to mention it again, as it's usually not pertinent to what you're dealing with now. Contrary to what some might say, I think are a large % of women on here are dealing with secondary infertility, and while there's another board for issues directly related to that, you can get a lot of information here, so please keep coming back.

Good luck to you.
I have secondary infertility and I use the secondary board as well but it is not as active or as lively as this board or the over 40 board. I am very respectful of the women on all boards and in the message title I always put anything sensitive like (child mentioned) or (miscarriage mentioned) so that the reader can decided if they want to read it or not if my post is about anything sensitive.

I have been TTC for 2 yrs w/ 2 m/c's and I had 3 m/c's between DD and DS in the past. It is a very small sample of the people on these boards that have a hard time w/ us that have children. As I say, "pain is pain." I don't want it, but I have it.

BTW, Welcome.

Jenna

March 24th, 2011, 8:25 pm #8

I am so sorry for what I mentioned. I was only trying to give as much info as I thought was pertinent. I didn't mean to offend Anyone and I am so sorry if I did! Please forgive me? I am sorry.

March 24th, 2011, 8:28 pm #9

... visit the secondary IF high FSH board. This board is mostly populated by women who have never conceived/birthed live children.

Good luck with your medications. The fact that you did conceive and have live births in the past is a good sign for you. For most of us, it's a long road, but these boards are helpful for education and support.
I am so sorry if I offended you. I never intended to. Please accept my appologies.
Sincerely,
Jessica

March 24th, 2011, 8:33 pm #10

Good luck to you.
Thank you for your help and information about proper ettiquite on here. I am new to this as I mentioned. I never intended to offend anyone.