Freaking Out-Hysteroscopy/Doc Question

Freaking Out-Hysteroscopy/Doc Question

Houston
Houston

March 6th, 2012, 10:55 pm #1

I have an operative hysteroscopy scheduled for Friday to evaluate and possibly remove a "spot" on my uterus. I just learned that my doctor will not be doing the hysteroscopy. The doctor that will be doing it is very young and new to the fertility clinic I am using. He has only been licensed since June of 2011. He went to medical school at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel. He completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at St. Lukes- Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan. He attended completed his fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the University of Michigan.

I called the office to ask if I could get a more experienced doc. I am sure they are going to call me back and say no b/c of the timing of the hysteroscopy which they want to occur prior to ovulation.

Do you think this is okay? Am I just overthinking this? It makes me very nervous to have such an inexperienced doc.

AJ
AJ

March 6th, 2012, 11:11 pm #2

I can understand your hesitation....While I can't say whether or not it's ok, I might inquire a little more about his experience, like how many of this type of procedure he's performed for example. I've recently had a hyster, and although it's still a surgical procedure, I probably wouldn't be as concerned as if were a lap or something more invasive and involving the ovaries.

FYI- I had mine done post-O and it wasn't a problem, I just had to contracept that month. I took BCP's and it actually helped because it thinned the lining allowing the RE to get a better look at things. I was able to resume TTC after AF so it didn't really set me back. Maybe you can reschedule?

Good luck!!

Erin
Erin

March 6th, 2012, 11:24 pm #3

I have an operative hysteroscopy scheduled for Friday to evaluate and possibly remove a "spot" on my uterus. I just learned that my doctor will not be doing the hysteroscopy. The doctor that will be doing it is very young and new to the fertility clinic I am using. He has only been licensed since June of 2011. He went to medical school at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel. He completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at St. Lukes- Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan. He attended completed his fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the University of Michigan.

I called the office to ask if I could get a more experienced doc. I am sure they are going to call me back and say no b/c of the timing of the hysteroscopy which they want to occur prior to ovulation.

Do you think this is okay? Am I just overthinking this? It makes me very nervous to have such an inexperienced doc.
I think he's probably fine. I don't know about the medical school in Israel, but looks like he had residency and fellowship at good hospitals. If it were just the hysteroscopy without the possible "spot" removal, I'd definitely say no problem. I guess the scenario I'd think about is if you get through the procedure and he says he didn't see a spot, are you going to trust that result, or are you going to feel like you'd need to repeat with a more experienced physician? If you're thinking the latter, I might 1) try to learn as much as you can about the guy so you could get to a comfortable place, 2) try to get another MD, or 3) re-schedule. Are you doing this in TX or in NY? Wishing you good luck!

p.s. I did post the protocol to you in a pm on the other site a few days ago in case you hadn't checked.

teresa
teresa

March 6th, 2012, 11:52 pm #4

ok, first of all, what is up with this board and the UTE problems lately??

I had one on last Thursday. And I used my dr who has done a lap on me and 2 d+c's and I still drove her NUTS with questions and feared all that could go wrong, etc. and I know and love her.

I think if you are going to go into the procedure a wreck, then absolutely request someone else. I say this because you are clearly worried (I would be too) the only thing that makes me nervous is if the spot has to be removed...do you want him or someone who has done 100 of this procedure? So, to AJ's point, I would inquire how many has he done, what will he do if____...definitely speak to him and question him and if you dont feel confident, then wait.

good luck!! keep us posted. PS- the procedure isnt too bad at all, hurts much less than a lap but slightly worse than a D+C (not sure if that helps you) waking up you will feel crampy- they gave me 2 percocets and some morphine. uncomfortable cramps and some discharge may happen for a few days and you will be sleepy from the anesthesia. XOXO

Jamie
Jamie

March 7th, 2012, 3:51 am #5

When I visited there last month. He sat in on my appointment and we talked briefly while Dr. Gill was giving the nurse instructions for another patient, and he seems quite solid. We discussed all of his education and it's pretty impressive; Israel is actually pretty advanced with things like fertility medicine. I would feel comfortable with him. Honestly, I'd rather have him or Dr. Witz do a procedure like that than Dr. Gill, since Dr. Gill's main thing is running protocols, not surgery. I'd want the person most used to doing that sort of thing the most frequently, and it wouldn't be Dr. Gill. So I would proceed on if it were me, but don't do it if you feel really uncomfortable.

Houston
Houston

March 7th, 2012, 4:00 pm #6

Thanks guys. I am probably just overthinking things. I am going to ask them a few more questions today, but I am not going to delay the test. So, if I have to go forward with this doc, I am going to.

Erin--I saw your pm. I haven't had a chance to respond yet, but plan to. I had one question about the protocol which I will send you in a pm.

Houston
Houston

March 7th, 2012, 4:34 pm #7

Good news. He has been with them since July and has been doing at least 20 a week. I think this is sufficient. I am going to stick with him since I can't reschedule until my next period.

teresa
teresa

March 7th, 2012, 4:46 pm #8

i would feel confident too. absolutely. you're doing the right thing!!
good luck, keep us posted.
xo

AJ
AJ

March 7th, 2012, 5:12 pm #9

Good news. He has been with them since July and has been doing at least 20 a week. I think this is sufficient. I am going to stick with him since I can't reschedule until my next period.
Maybe he's the designated "scoper" in the practice:). Good luck!!

NancyMN
NancyMN

March 8th, 2012, 12:14 am #10

I'd feel pretty comfortable knowing that too. Glad you'll feel comfortabel with him!
NancyMN