Follow up to post below re. natural IVF (success mentioned)

Follow up to post below re. natural IVF (success mentioned)

Hadas
Hadas

December 13th, 2011, 6:44 pm #1

Hi,
I have another question re. our natural IVF process. RE wants me to repeat the HSG (3rd time, though last time was 3+ years ago) to check "the cavity". He also wants DH to repeat his SA as it's been a few years. Since we've run out of our fertility coverage, this will be out of pocket. The HSG at my clinic costs just over $800. is this the average cost in your experience or is this way out there?

I'm not sure how much the SA is, but is it really necessary? We had success 3 years ago through IVF and although I know 3 years is a long time, we're moving forward with the IVF regardless of the SA resuls (which were always excellent).

Is my thinking logical here? If we have to pay out of pocket, we'd rather spend the money on the HSG than both the HSG and the SA (oh, and the entire cycle for that matter).

Thanks,
Hadas

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 13th, 2011, 7:01 pm #2

are you doing ICSI? If you're doing ICSI then I guess I'd let the SA slide. But if you do an SA then you can know whether you need ICSI or not. An SA is much cheaper than ICSI.

I don't know the cost of an HSG. I'd be inclined to do it although it is the worst test on earth in my eyes!!

Hadas
Hadas

December 13th, 2011, 7:25 pm #3

Hi,
Yes, we've used ICSI for all of my IVF's automatically because of the low-ish number of eggs retrieved (not because of any male factor). At my clinic, ICSI is automatic for this mini stim Clomid IVF's I assume for the same reason.

Thanks!

anna
anna

December 14th, 2011, 12:15 am #4

from my experience evry time we went to a new Re they had us to SA, because they said they check some thing that others wont and blah blah..... in 1 year DH did 5 SA. LOL. and he never had any problem what so ever.

kris
kris

December 14th, 2011, 1:44 am #5

Hi,
I have another question re. our natural IVF process. RE wants me to repeat the HSG (3rd time, though last time was 3+ years ago) to check "the cavity". He also wants DH to repeat his SA as it's been a few years. Since we've run out of our fertility coverage, this will be out of pocket. The HSG at my clinic costs just over $800. is this the average cost in your experience or is this way out there?

I'm not sure how much the SA is, but is it really necessary? We had success 3 years ago through IVF and although I know 3 years is a long time, we're moving forward with the IVF regardless of the SA resuls (which were always excellent).

Is my thinking logical here? If we have to pay out of pocket, we'd rather spend the money on the HSG than both the HSG and the SA (oh, and the entire cycle for that matter).

Thanks,
Hadas
I'm new at this stuff, but for what it's worth, I'll be doing the HSG this week at SCRC in LA. It's $900 there. Not sure where you are, but I know costs tend to be a little higher in LA and some other major cities.

Sara H
Sara H

December 14th, 2011, 5:01 am #6

Hi,

Thanks,
Hadas
get your HSG ordered though your OBGYN and NOT your RE. Ask them to bill it as: "Unspecified testing" or "Possible endo" or some such and usually it will NOT come from your IF coverage!

totally worth a try!
Good Luck!

Sara H

Hadas
Hadas

December 14th, 2011, 2:34 pm #7

Thank you for this suggestion. I'll look into it!