First Check IVF cycle cancelled

First Check IVF cycle cancelled

Sara Q
Sara Q

July 25th, 2012, 9:28 pm #1

Because I was only growing one (maybe 2) follicles.

Feeling so incredibly sad and shocked. Less than one year ago they retrieved 9 eggs and now I can't even get more than two follies to grow?

I really, really hope it wasn't the lap that caused this. They didn't touch the inside of my ovaries though! I made sure of it....

Feeling so bad,
Sara

AJ
AJ

July 25th, 2012, 10:11 pm #2

Sara, I'm so sorry. Did C.heck give any indication of what he would do differently next time? Maybe lower the dose of Estinyl since your FSH hasn't been that high?? Or give higher stim dose? Maybe it was just a wacky cycle and next time you might respond a lot better!! I just can't say enough how sorry I am that you're dealing with this. I had a lap, and I don't think it impacted me negatively.

Anyhow, I'm rooting for you and hope you find success soon. Take care of yourself-

MargieD
MargieD

July 25th, 2012, 10:48 pm #3

Feeling so incredibly sad and shocked. Less than one year ago they retrieved 9 eggs and now I can't even get more than two follies to grow?

I really, really hope it wasn't the lap that caused this. They didn't touch the inside of my ovaries though! I made sure of it....

Feeling so bad,
Sara
I felt the same way with Dr. C. I had to remind myself that Dr. C's goal is 2 or 3 follicles. They are low stims as opposed to other REs who are high stims.

For me - two follicles is the goal. (I'm like you - AFC is normally between 6-10 each month). It was hard for me to adjust.

You may want to try one or two more cycles with Dr. C and see if the trend continues. If it does, then you may need to decide if he's the right RE for you.

I, too, had a lap last September and I don't know if it helped or hurt. I'm still on the fence about that.

As for your dissertation writing, even though you have your post doc in January, don't let it suffer too much. My committee "added" requirements at the end. One wanted me it proofed by an editor (and even the editor thought it was well written). Also had to have it approved by the thesis deposit office (VERY picky about formatting). All of that took time. If I didn't have those, I would have graduated in May instead of August. So - get your writing done sooner than later so you can deal with the petty things and still graduate in December.

Jess
Jess

July 25th, 2012, 11:21 pm #4

Feeling so bad,
Sara
I'm so sorry your cycle was canceled. I know exactly how you feel bc my first IVF with Dr. Ch.eck was canceled too (as you know). It's so frustrating and disappointing

Did anyone give you any insight into why only 2 were growing? Maybe the estinly was too suppressive for you? I would try something different (perhaps a lower dose or a different suppressant?) next cycle to see if it made a difference. Unfortunately, it seems it's impossible to predict how different women will respond to different medications so it's just trial and error.

I really feel for you- I'm trying to get in the mindset of "Maybe not now, but soon" instead of "What if this never happens? What if this never happens?..."

Why are you doing IVF btw? Do you have a diagnosis ?

I hope you feel a little better soon

~Jess

lucy999
lucy999

July 26th, 2012, 3:11 am #5

Feeling so bad,
Sara
I hope they next one works better. Hugs.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 26th, 2012, 5:55 pm #6

Feeling so bad,
Sara
Oh, Sarah this must be a shock. But was your cycle from a year ago using the same protocol? I have let a year go by since last cycle which was medium-high stim, and it is scary not knowing what has changed since then.

I know that if I went to Dr. Check there would be different goals and different numbers to expect. Dr. Check cycles almost never seem to involve more than a small number of eggs... I also think that (maybe) he is conscientious when it comes to cancelling out of concern for people's finances and the belief that he needs to tweak the approach a little bit in your case.

How were the protocols different? Also, just remember that maybe this was just not a good month for you, and another month will be much better.

July 26th, 2012, 7:53 pm #7

Feeling so bad,
Sara
I just wanted to let you know that I greatly feel for you. I recently cancelled my first IVF cycle and it SUCKS. There is no better way to describe it. Thinking of you and wishing you future success.

Sara Q
Sara Q

July 27th, 2012, 4:48 am #8

Sara, I'm so sorry. Did C.heck give any indication of what he would do differently next time? Maybe lower the dose of Estinyl since your FSH hasn't been that high?? Or give higher stim dose? Maybe it was just a wacky cycle and next time you might respond a lot better!! I just can't say enough how sorry I am that you're dealing with this. I had a lap, and I don't think it impacted me negatively.

Anyhow, I'm rooting for you and hope you find success soon. Take care of yourself-
I really appreciate your support. It took a couple of days for me to calm down about the situation. I am still scared that the lap affected my FSH - it was 8.7 on cd4 while using the estinyl, which doesn't make a lot of sense since it hasn't been too high in the past. Or maybe the estinyl didn't work for me? At least it didn't lower my FSH too much? (It was 4.5 on cd1).

I did talk to Dr. Check yesterday and he said that next time we might start with 150 instead of 75 IUs of follistim. (We did 3 days of 75 and then switched to 75.) But he said he didn't want to change the estinyl because his objective was to make sure I didn't stim fast/ovulate too early (which I tend to do.) So we stick with the estinyl next time, which hopefully will be this next month.

We are going to do TI this cycle though. No use wasting a good follie and a good lining (9+ mm, which is a lot for me.) I'll go to get an ultrasound tomorrow and see when I should trigger. One thing I don't understand though....if you can't take estinyl during the luteal phase, how do you keep your FSH down for the next cycle? How did you do it the months when you TTC? I tried to get this questions answered today on the phone, but I still don't really understand.

Thanks dear,

Sara Q

Sara Q
Sara Q

July 27th, 2012, 5:07 am #9

I felt the same way with Dr. C. I had to remind myself that Dr. C's goal is 2 or 3 follicles. They are low stims as opposed to other REs who are high stims.

For me - two follicles is the goal. (I'm like you - AFC is normally between 6-10 each month). It was hard for me to adjust.

You may want to try one or two more cycles with Dr. C and see if the trend continues. If it does, then you may need to decide if he's the right RE for you.

I, too, had a lap last September and I don't know if it helped or hurt. I'm still on the fence about that.

As for your dissertation writing, even though you have your post doc in January, don't let it suffer too much. My committee "added" requirements at the end. One wanted me it proofed by an editor (and even the editor thought it was well written). Also had to have it approved by the thesis deposit office (VERY picky about formatting). All of that took time. If I didn't have those, I would have graduated in May instead of August. So - get your writing done sooner than later so you can deal with the petty things and still graduate in December.
Thanks you! This is really good advice - both about the cycle and the dissertation.

You are right - I do think I need(ed) to adjust my expectations of Check's low-stim cycle. He and I talked yesterday about that. But even if my expectations were a little more reasonable, I still wouldn't have done the cycle with the one follie that far ahead. But I do think I will have different expectations when I move forward with the next cycle. It does help a lot to know that you and I have a similar AFC and 2 follies is your goal with Check. That helps me understand the situation a lot more. Quality over quantity, quality over quantity. I'm going to try to keep saying it to myself.

As for the dissertation - very good advice. I actually called the doctoral programs officer yesterday to try and get some info about my requirements. And I'm going to meet with my advisor to try and figure out how we're going to do this with him on sabbatical in the next 4 months. I'm actually going to withdrawl for the semester and just write so that I can get done in time. Let's do this....

Hope your new writing project is going well too. Are you excited for graduation this month?!

Sara Q

Sara Q
Sara Q

July 27th, 2012, 5:38 am #10

I'm so sorry your cycle was canceled. I know exactly how you feel bc my first IVF with Dr. Ch.eck was canceled too (as you know). It's so frustrating and disappointing

Did anyone give you any insight into why only 2 were growing? Maybe the estinly was too suppressive for you? I would try something different (perhaps a lower dose or a different suppressant?) next cycle to see if it made a difference. Unfortunately, it seems it's impossible to predict how different women will respond to different medications so it's just trial and error.

I really feel for you- I'm trying to get in the mindset of "Maybe not now, but soon" instead of "What if this never happens? What if this never happens?..."

Why are you doing IVF btw? Do you have a diagnosis ?

I hope you feel a little better soon

~Jess
I'm doing a little bit better today and really appreciate your message. Yes, you do know how much canceling an IVF sucks, and I'm really sorry that you had to go through it as well. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I like your mantra, "Maybe not now, but soon.." I will try to get in that mindset as well. (We had an adoption fall through this month as well. I think all of these disappointments are starting to do some damage to my usually optimistic viewpoint.) Maybe not now, but soon....

Unfortunately, my phone call with Dr. Check was not very helpful in helping me understand why I got a lead follicle and only made two uneven follies. He said one of his goals was to delay my ovulation, which we achieved. But preventing the lead follie, not so much. I was a little disappointed that he didn't have more ideas honestly. Was it you who they suggested use a Lupron trigger? He did say that was a possibility....

As far as diagnosis, I have DOR and a bunch of immune issues. DH also had 95% anti-sperm antibodies, so Check suggested we do IVF or IUI with something special (can't remember the name), but we can't find anyone to do that here in Cali.

But Jess, I've already done 4 IVFs, all high stim. No BFP, ever. I've gotten a lot of embryos, they've looked good on day 3, but the one time we tried to go to day 5, they all died. Check believes that this was due to the extremely high stims I was on as well as testosterone. I don't know if that's true or not, but I would like to find sometime soon.

Wishing you luck and strength moving forward,
Sara