Feeling conflicted, advice appreciated (long, sorry)

Feeling conflicted, advice appreciated (long, sorry)

May 18th, 2011, 2:14 am #1

I know I have posted about this before - I feel like such a whiner and for that I apologize.

It's about doing out of town monitoring with Cooper (I know, sigh).

I got it worked out with my local clinic that they could release the results to me in case Cooper didn't get their transmission. That has helped TREMENDOUSLY (thanks Mrs. A for the great advice)! There's been more than one occasion this cycle where Cooper has called me at 6 at night to tell me they don't have my results.

I had my initial consult with Check on Jan. 6. Since then I have done 3 IUIs, all unmedicated. I just started taking the estinyl after last cycle's IUI was negative. It did not bring my FSH down low enough to where they'd start me on stims.

Today I had another IUI. Cooper called me at almost 7pm local time last night and told me to trigger, which I did at the ballpark (see previous post!). Then they wanted me to have the IUI today at 1pm. BUT, they wanted me to have bloods and u/s done first to see if I had released. I had not. So then they wanted me to wait a couple hours and then have another u/s and then maybe have the IUI.

My local clinic has been pretty great thus far about doing as instructed, even when they don't understand it. But today that pretty much came to an end. After the u/s showed that I hadn't released yet I told them what Cooper wanted me to do. The NP that always does my u/s talked to the head doc there as I was changing and then he came in. He said they are there to assist me and will do whatever they can but that the excessive monitoring basically couldn't be accommodated. For example, today Cooper wanted me to go back like an hour or two later to have another u/s and then have the IUI.

This local clinic is smaller and they don't have the staff really to accommodate that kind of activity. I remember being at Cooper for my consult and seeing women come in, go get their labs & u/s and filling out the call back sheet, and the sheer volume of people coming in and out was incredible. My local clinic is not like that. I have to make an appt for pretty much everything, they require an order for everything they do, which requires a lot of time on my part calling both Cooper and the local clinic to make sure the order was sent/received.

The doctor at the local clinic today kind of made his appeal to me to have a formal consult with them. He echoed a lot of the same things I've been feeling lately, about all the monitoring and not moving forward (like at least to add in stims) and such. He said that he'd treat me even though my FSH is so damn high. I think I'll schedule the appt. just to see, can't hurt. But his stats worry me.

Tomorrow I'm calling Cooper to schedule a consult with Check on the day of the beta draw. I'm just going to have to tell him I can't keep doing this and ask him how he sees this progressing.

After that long-ass post, can any of you ladies offer any more advice, what to ask, what to suggest, what to do...?

I'm just feeling kind of lost.

May 18th, 2011, 2:26 am #2

Hi Cee,

u/s in 2 hrs and then IUI? it doesn't make sense? what makes them think that u will release in 2 hrs?? I've never heard of such precise predictions??. Frankly I don't know if any clinic would be willing to do this.

Anyhow in my opinion you should talk to Dr. Check about this. Tell him about the clinic being very accommodating and that u/s in 2 hrs time is kind of expecting way too much from a small local clinic.

It seems like he is a very understanding doc so I feel he will understand this...

just my 2cents...hope all works out!

gl!

gisg

hopeful2
hopeful2

May 18th, 2011, 2:28 am #3

I know I have posted about this before - I feel like such a whiner and for that I apologize.

I got it worked out with my local clinic that they could release the results to me in case Cooper didn't get their transmission. That has helped TREMENDOUSLY (thanks Mrs. A for the great advice)! There's been more than one occasion this cycle where Cooper has called me at 6 at night to tell me they don't have my results.

I had my initial consult with Check on Jan. 6. Since then I have done 3 IUIs, all unmedicated. I just started taking the estinyl after last cycle's IUI was negative. It did not bring my FSH down low enough to where they'd start me on stims.

Today I had another IUI. Cooper called me at almost 7pm local time last night and told me to trigger, which I did at the ballpark (see previous post!). Then they wanted me to have the IUI today at 1pm. BUT, they wanted me to have bloods and u/s done first to see if I had released. I had not. So then they wanted me to wait a couple hours and then have another u/s and then maybe have the IUI.

My local clinic has been pretty great thus far about doing as instructed, even when they don't understand it. But today that pretty much came to an end. After the u/s showed that I hadn't released yet I told them what Cooper wanted me to do. The NP that always does my u/s talked to the head doc there as I was changing and then he came in. He said they are there to assist me and will do whatever they can but that the excessive monitoring basically couldn't be accommodated. For example, today Cooper wanted me to go back like an hour or two later to have another u/s and then have the IUI.

This local clinic is smaller and they don't have the staff really to accommodate that kind of activity. I remember being at Cooper for my consult and seeing women come in, go get their labs & u/s and filling out the call back sheet, and the sheer volume of people coming in and out was incredible. My local clinic is not like that. I have to make an appt for pretty much everything, they require an order for everything they do, which requires a lot of time on my part calling both Cooper and the local clinic to make sure the order was sent/received.

The doctor at the local clinic today kind of made his appeal to me to have a formal consult with them. He echoed a lot of the same things I've been feeling lately, about all the monitoring and not moving forward (like at least to add in stims) and such. He said that he'd treat me even though my FSH is so damn high. I think I'll schedule the appt. just to see, can't hurt. But his stats worry me.

Tomorrow I'm calling Cooper to schedule a consult with Check on the day of the beta draw. I'm just going to have to tell him I can't keep doing this and ask him how he sees this progressing.

After that long-ass post, can any of you ladies offer any more advice, what to ask, what to suggest, what to do...?

Hi Cee. I am sorry that you re having a hard time with this out of town monitoring. I am not sure I have any advice for you. I just wanted to say I read your post and I hope you get this straigtened out. Why does your local clinic have a problem with the second ultrasound? I am thinking they are want to be the one treating you and so they figure if they give u a hard time you will switch. I dont know. Why is getting a second ultrasound against their policy? treating infertility is very much Trial by error and if u another ultrasound that is what you need. Is there another clinic you can start getting your ultrasounds. What about a local radiology center? Thats what I used to do when I was with Dr. Check.

Good luck, sorry I wasn't much help

May 18th, 2011, 2:50 am #4

They will do the monitoring requested, as many as we want (like he pointed out, they get paid for them and I pay for them), but he just was talking about today. I went in at 1 for the u/s, the IUI was scheduled for 1:30. The u/s showed I hadn't released, so Cooper wanted me to go back at 3 for another u/s. If that showed the egg had released then we would proceed with the IUI. The local clinic said they couldn't do that. They close at 4, it wasn't scheduled prior so they would have to push other clients appts to do it, etc. That's why they couldn't accommodate that. As long as it's scheduled they'll do it. It's this winging it stuff that they can't do.

May 18th, 2011, 2:54 am #5

Hi Cee,

u/s in 2 hrs and then IUI? it doesn't make sense? what makes them think that u will release in 2 hrs?? I've never heard of such precise predictions??. Frankly I don't know if any clinic would be willing to do this.

Anyhow in my opinion you should talk to Dr. Check about this. Tell him about the clinic being very accommodating and that u/s in 2 hrs time is kind of expecting way too much from a small local clinic.

It seems like he is a very understanding doc so I feel he will understand this...

just my 2cents...hope all works out!

gl!

gisg
They said that the follicle had shrunk a little, so it was probably in the process of releasing and would probably release again in another hour or two.

Then when they got my bloods back they said it would probably release tonight and to go ahead and do the IUI.

???

I don't know, I just do what I'm told (well some of the time).

Gi8
Gi8

May 18th, 2011, 3:16 am #6

Hi Cee. I think it's smart to talk to Check about it and see what he says. Also, I see what "hopeful" poster is saying re individualized treatment (read: unpredictable and frequent monitoring) being the way it works for high fsh folks. If your local clinic's hours are more conducive to a more one-size-fits-all approach, perhaps it's not the place for you. That said, can't hurt to do a consult and see what he says and maybe even run that by Check to see what he think about what local RE prescribes. In the end, go with what feels right to you deep down. Good luck! Gi8

KerriA
KerriA

May 18th, 2011, 1:04 pm #7

Cee, I'm sorry that i can't offer any suggestions on how to handle being an OOT Cooper patient, but wanted to let you know I am feeling for you. I understand how frustrating this in, but, in all of this, please remember the NJ Guru has helped many on this board. And sometimes that help may be being treated by Check for a few months and taking what you learn there to going to an RE who's willing to work on that plan.

One thing I thought of is that perhaps we, as a board, should start keeping a list of all the RE's that have been used for OOT Cooper monitor with maybe a few bullet points of review. This is unlikely to help you, but it seems being an OOT Cooper patient is a challenge, to say the least.

hang in there - I'm rooting for you!
kerri

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 18th, 2011, 1:35 pm #8

I think that's a great idea. I am always wondering what other places there are in NY to go to, so would be really interested to hear people's view. I agree that Cooper has helped many people on this board and I am hopeful that they will help me too, but must admit that the OOT monitoring is a basic nightmare. I have been a Cooper patient for a while now and in that time I've had some really scary instructions from the nurses that I have had to challenge (e.g. to keep taking double estinyl when my FSH was 3 and to start taking provera on Day 7 of my cycle when my E2 was 130) and I've also had to deal with both kind and some downright rude and combatant nurses on callbacks - to be honest, unfortunately my experience is mainly been the latter. If it wasn't for the lab that I go to for monitoring here in NY, I really don't think the process would be bearable - they are so kind and patient and I have never had a bad experience there.

Tanya
Tanya

May 18th, 2011, 2:00 pm #9

Cee, I am sorry you having such a bad experience. I have been working remotely with Cooper for almost a year and have only had 1 glitch. Here is what I do:

1. Call Cooper for script to be sent to local clinic Main Number, Option 3 (Call back desk, nurses), option 4 for regular nurses. Leave a message requesting script to be faxed to local clinic. I always leave my number and tell them exactly what I need the script for.

2. After blood work/ ultra sound: Call Cooper, option 3 (Call back, nurses line), option 1 (regular nurse call back). Leave a message telling them I had bw/ ultrasound and my information. I ask them to call me if they havent received it by 2:00.

Im sure you are already doing those thing but I figured it couldnt hurt to let you know what I have been doing. Im sorry I dont remember if there is a reason you are doing IUIs, that is something I have NOT done with Cooper so I can only imagine this would add the complexity of working remotely. If it were me, I would have the consult with the local doctor because you just never know. Just yesterday, I had yet another consult with a local doctor and it was the most encouraging conversation I have had since Dr. Check. Not sure if I will switch yet but my point is you just never know unless you talk with him.
Do you mind me asking where you live? Have you considered maybe going out to NJ for a cycle from beginning to end? While that may add stress in one area, it may eliminate stress by not having to worry about the local clinic.

HUGS!!!

Cee
Cee

May 18th, 2011, 2:17 pm #10

I do what you do in regards to calling Cooper. And I will call them in the afternoon generally if I haven't heard from them by like 3:30 so I can call the local clinic for results.

I'm doing IUI because we are using a donor - my husband has azoospermia.

It's not possible for me to go out for a full cycle, simply because I don't have the vacation time at work. I live in Kansas City, and there are few reputable fertility clinics here.