estyinl - Can it over-supress you?

estyinl - Can it over-supress you?

Tanya
Tanya

March 22nd, 2011, 12:37 pm #1

I am trying naturally right now with monitoring from Dr. Check and my CD 3 FSH was 23 this month although there were 3 small follies on CD3 ultrasound (which is the norm for me). The nurse put me on estyinl beginning day 3 through last night (Day 9) in hopes of lowering my FSH. When I went in for monitoring this morning, I was surprised that of those 3 follies, there are only 2 and they shrunk and it appeared there may be debri in both.

I was on estyinl for my previous IVF cycle but only for 5 days and that seemed to work where it lowered my FSH from 22 to 8 (or somewhere around those numbers). Im wondering if maybe I was on estyinl too long this month and it suppressed me and those follies are gone?
Im so mad at myself because when the nurse told me to take it last week, I should have questioned if it was necessary since I know I ovulate every month even with a high FSH.

Has anyone heard of estyinl causing over suppression? Im waiting for the nurses to call and tell me my blood work results but Im hoping to get some ideas on what I should ask when Cooper calls.
I have an appointment with Dr. Cohen but not until April 7th but I plan to discuss this with her.

Thank you for any input you may have
Tanya

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

March 22nd, 2011, 1:41 pm #2

that it can. But I don't have any firsthand experience. I think that I have heard Maureen say that it does but when she's stopped it things wake up again. Sorry I haven't a clue about estinyl since I've never used it and so never even inquired about it's purpose and effect.

From what you wrote it seems like it's worked for you in the past but for a shorter duration. Your FSH for the last cycle and this one was essentially the same (23 vs. 22). I would ask why the extra 2 days this time around? Was the dosage the same as last time? Maybe taking it longer but at less dosage would be better? But more importantly, what do they expect the follies to be doing while you are on estinyl? Is growth expected?

Now that you're done taking it hopefully things will wake up in the next week and yield a good egg for you at O time!

Tanya
Tanya

March 22nd, 2011, 1:50 pm #3

Thank you for replying. I will run into a conference room when the nurse calls today so I can hopefully get those questions answered. I was trying to be a good little patient and follow instructions but I probably should have followed my gut and stopped the estyinl a few days ago. I know Cooper learns by trial/ error so if it messed with my cycle this month, hopefully next month they can apply what was learned and make next month better. Besides I probably wont be up to BD after the HSG anyway

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

March 22nd, 2011, 2:12 pm #4

to BD?? Promise a box of chocolates? Be sure to BD BD BD no matter what!!

My first time conceiving was on a month where I'd just had an HSG, and this current pregnancy was conceived 2 months after my second HSG. If you do a search on the PG board (or maybe it's the over 40 board?) you will see that in the last 6 months or so there was a big posting about women conceiving on HSG months or right after.

Obviously HSGs are not the TTC golden ticket but my REs have all told me that they do up your chances even if it's just a tiny bit. It's why I had my second one. Otherwise I'd never have put myself through that again!

And I promise - as bad as my HSG was, the pain was short-lived. Maybe you'll be like some other ladies on here and not even bat an eyelash at the test!

maureen
maureen

March 22nd, 2011, 2:17 pm #5

I am trying naturally right now with monitoring from Dr. Check and my CD 3 FSH was 23 this month although there were 3 small follies on CD3 ultrasound (which is the norm for me). The nurse put me on estyinl beginning day 3 through last night (Day 9) in hopes of lowering my FSH. When I went in for monitoring this morning, I was surprised that of those 3 follies, there are only 2 and they shrunk and it appeared there may be debri in both.

I was on estyinl for my previous IVF cycle but only for 5 days and that seemed to work where it lowered my FSH from 22 to 8 (or somewhere around those numbers). Im wondering if maybe I was on estyinl too long this month and it suppressed me and those follies are gone?
Im so mad at myself because when the nurse told me to take it last week, I should have questioned if it was necessary since I know I ovulate every month even with a high FSH.

Has anyone heard of estyinl causing over suppression? Im waiting for the nurses to call and tell me my blood work results but Im hoping to get some ideas on what I should ask when Cooper calls.
I have an appointment with Dr. Cohen but not until April 7th but I plan to discuss this with her.

Tanya
I've taken estinyl to lower my fsh at the start of my cycle and it has suppressed me too much. My fsh would be lowered, but my e2 would be below 10. When I'd stop taking it, follies would grow and I'd ovulate.

Cooper would suggest estinyl when my fsh was high even when just monitoring. I realize that some folks need to do something because their fsh is so high that they don't ovulate, but I'm not sure why they give it to everyone.

I like your idea of trying it for a shorter time next cycle. Or another option is to only take a half dose. Unfortunately, estinyl dosage is a bit of trial and error type thing. And don't forget that every cycle can be a bit different too.

I think you still have a shot with this cycle. Are you going back in a few days to see what's happening? If you normally ovulate, I'd think that there would be some follies in a few days.

Maureen

Tanya
Tanya

March 22nd, 2011, 2:57 pm #6

to BD?? Promise a box of chocolates? Be sure to BD BD BD no matter what!!

My first time conceiving was on a month where I'd just had an HSG, and this current pregnancy was conceived 2 months after my second HSG. If you do a search on the PG board (or maybe it's the over 40 board?) you will see that in the last 6 months or so there was a big posting about women conceiving on HSG months or right after.

Obviously HSGs are not the TTC golden ticket but my REs have all told me that they do up your chances even if it's just a tiny bit. It's why I had my second one. Otherwise I'd never have put myself through that again!

And I promise - as bad as my HSG was, the pain was short-lived. Maybe you'll be like some other ladies on here and not even bat an eyelash at the test!
The SIS hurt like heck yesterday so I can only imagine what the HSG will feel like today. I am trying to tell myself the HSG wont hurt too bad because Ill be at the hospital getting it done (yeah right) That doesnt even make sense when I type it but my backwards rationale is that the hospital is better equipped to do these tests.
It will be worth it if I get a BFP. Assuming the little follies decide to grow I will BD regardless of the pain

Tanya
Tanya

March 22nd, 2011, 2:59 pm #7

I've taken estinyl to lower my fsh at the start of my cycle and it has suppressed me too much. My fsh would be lowered, but my e2 would be below 10. When I'd stop taking it, follies would grow and I'd ovulate.

Cooper would suggest estinyl when my fsh was high even when just monitoring. I realize that some folks need to do something because their fsh is so high that they don't ovulate, but I'm not sure why they give it to everyone.

I like your idea of trying it for a shorter time next cycle. Or another option is to only take a half dose. Unfortunately, estinyl dosage is a bit of trial and error type thing. And don't forget that every cycle can be a bit different too.

I think you still have a shot with this cycle. Are you going back in a few days to see what's happening? If you normally ovulate, I'd think that there would be some follies in a few days.

Maureen
I am waiting for Cooper to call with instructions but Im assuming I will be going back in a few days for more monitoring. I appreciate your insight and I plan to ask a bunch of questions today so Ill let you know what I find out.
Thank you again!

Jasmine
Jasmine

March 22nd, 2011, 3:51 pm #8

Tanya
I think Maureen is right - you still have a shot at this cycle. I started taking estynil a couple of days before my AF. I figured my day 2 fsh is always high so might as well start off on the estynil a little early. I took it for 17 days before I saw any activity. My estradiol level was always below 10. Then it finally started going up. Last cycle the same thing happend - though I only took it 9-10 days for my estradiol to start going up. I did however take the estynil every other day instead of everyday as Cooper suggested. I thought I was getting suppressed this time around too since I was on it for so long and nothing happening. I think you should continue with the estynil - maybe start taking it every other day instead. I think if I remember correctly Dr Check said they prescribe the estynil to calm your ovaries (lowering FSH) and then somehow the receptors start working your follicles start growing. Not sure of the exact science. Good luck and I think you should stick with the estynil a little longer and see what happens.

March 22nd, 2011, 7:18 pm #9

Tanya
Yes!!! For everyone it's different though. But I was oversupressed from the start, Oct-Feb. 0f 2010. The whole time I was on estinyl. It stinks! I am currently on a break and doing my "own" method of getting my body back to normal. Then I plan to go back to Check for a do-over. I just wasn't getting anywhere. Honestly I made my own treatment plan when I was successful with my first and ppl thought I was crazy then; now that I am older and high fsh I just need a different plan/path I guess? Keep on trekking on!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

March 22nd, 2011, 7:23 pm #10

The SIS hurt like heck yesterday so I can only imagine what the HSG will feel like today. I am trying to tell myself the HSG wont hurt too bad because Ill be at the hospital getting it done (yeah right) That doesnt even make sense when I type it but my backwards rationale is that the hospital is better equipped to do these tests.
It will be worth it if I get a BFP. Assuming the little follies decide to grow I will BD regardless of the pain
wow - see that goes to show how we all can react differently. I was surprised at how "ok" I was with the SIS. The HSG was another matter altogether.

And for what it's worth, I had my HSG at the hospital too...and in my case the equipment didn't make a difference.