early ovulation / short follicular phase?

early ovulation / short follicular phase?

jnoels
jnoels

July 30th, 2011, 2:14 pm #1

So I went in this morning for mid-cycle bloods, ultrasound, and hormone smear. This is my first cycle w/Check, and we were just going to do progesterone after ovulation.

So NO mature follicles on day 11. The nurse who looked at the hormone smear with me said she thought I had probably ovulated early this cycle, but that blood work would confirm that. I ovulated before day 11? That's really early.

I actually did an OPK this morning that came back positive. Didn't do one yesterday, and wondering if that one would've come back positive as well... I know they don't necessarily work for high FSHers.

Anyway, we'll see what they say on the callback, but it's pretty clear nothing's happening this cycle.

Anyone had luck with meds to lengthen follicular phase / get a mature follicle? I'm guessing that's what we'll try next.

Grrrrrrrr.. I feel like I need a medical degree in order to understand all this, ask the right questions, and advocate for myself.

AJ
AJ

July 30th, 2011, 3:28 pm #2

I'm curious to see others replies as I have short cycles at times. It may take a couple more cycles of monitoring to come up with an answer. I think if the problem is that you ovulate early and it's an immature egg (based on follicle size and E2) they can give you a low dose of stim drugs to mature the egg.

I've found sometimes in my case that I ovulate early because my body starts recruiting follicles early. So by the CD3 labs my E2 is already elevated and I have measurable follicles. I've been told this happens as the ovaries start to age and things get a little unpredictable. So my follicles are just ready early some months. If you're just doing natural cycles I think the main downside with this is a thin lining, which can be plumped up with luteal progesterone. I think this is only a big problem if you are trying to stim for IVF because all of the follicles aren't in the same stage of development.

I've been told that taking estrace with P4 in LP this is supposed to prevent your body from recruiting early, but in my case it hasn't consistently.

I'm new to a lot of the high FSH stuff, so someone with more experience might have a different take, but this is my understanding of it:)

MargieD
MargieD

July 30th, 2011, 4:15 pm #3

So I went in this morning for mid-cycle bloods, ultrasound, and hormone smear. This is my first cycle w/Check, and we were just going to do progesterone after ovulation.

So NO mature follicles on day 11. The nurse who looked at the hormone smear with me said she thought I had probably ovulated early this cycle, but that blood work would confirm that. I ovulated before day 11? That's really early.

I actually did an OPK this morning that came back positive. Didn't do one yesterday, and wondering if that one would've come back positive as well... I know they don't necessarily work for high FSHers.

Anyway, we'll see what they say on the callback, but it's pretty clear nothing's happening this cycle.

Anyone had luck with meds to lengthen follicular phase / get a mature follicle? I'm guessing that's what we'll try next.

Grrrrrrrr.. I feel like I need a medical degree in order to understand all this, ask the right questions, and advocate for myself.
I have the same issue....

I'm with Dr. Check and I have used Bravelle to mature the follicles and Cetrotide to keep me from ovulating... the last two months - I was on them for four days... and I managed to get 3-4 mature follicles both cycles...

They seemed pleased with my results - except I have a blocked tube, endo, and LUF (follicles don't release).

P.S. I've never used OPKs so I can't help with that...

MargieD
MargieD

July 30th, 2011, 4:19 pm #4

I'm curious to see others replies as I have short cycles at times. It may take a couple more cycles of monitoring to come up with an answer. I think if the problem is that you ovulate early and it's an immature egg (based on follicle size and E2) they can give you a low dose of stim drugs to mature the egg.

I've found sometimes in my case that I ovulate early because my body starts recruiting follicles early. So by the CD3 labs my E2 is already elevated and I have measurable follicles. I've been told this happens as the ovaries start to age and things get a little unpredictable. So my follicles are just ready early some months. If you're just doing natural cycles I think the main downside with this is a thin lining, which can be plumped up with luteal progesterone. I think this is only a big problem if you are trying to stim for IVF because all of the follicles aren't in the same stage of development.

I've been told that taking estrace with P4 in LP this is supposed to prevent your body from recruiting early, but in my case it hasn't consistently.

I'm new to a lot of the high FSH stuff, so someone with more experience might have a different take, but this is my understanding of it:)
Am curious about the estrace...

Thanks...

jnoels
jnoels

July 30th, 2011, 6:33 pm #5

Thanks, AJ and Margie D! Learning a lot over here...

July 30th, 2011, 7:19 pm #6

yes..it's pretty common for women with high FSH and/or DOR to ovulate early. i have been tracking my cycles since october of last year and every single cycle i ovulated on day 12-15. after my m/c in january, it's been day 14 exactly. BUT, the cycle that i had my first miscarriage (which was our first TTC for #2 cycle) i ovulated on day 10 and i remember thinking it was weird. so im sure it's related. my OB said that an occassional early ovulat isnt a big deal, but if it is consistent, it's something to check out (this was before i went to an RE bc i asked her if she thought the reason i m/c was bc i ovulated early that cycle)

fyi, OPKs still work really well for me....and i still hvae 27-29 day cycles...but every month is stressful bc i think "maybe this is the month i wont O or i will O super early".

jnoels
jnoels

July 30th, 2011, 7:40 pm #7

I almost hope that the bloodwork confirms that I ovulated early. I feel like that would be better than no mature follicles at day 11.
We'll see...

AJ
AJ

July 30th, 2011, 9:31 pm #8

Am curious about the estrace...

Thanks...
the little blue ones....2mg

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 31st, 2011, 12:24 am #9

I almost hope that the bloodwork confirms that I ovulated early. I feel like that would be better than no mature follicles at day 11.
We'll see...
Hi there,
I have been O'ing early since I started charting last year. It has been about Day 12 on a natural cycle but with medicated IUI, it was becoming CD10-12. I am currently stimming for IVF but was on a drug break since early June. Since stopping meds, I have had a 22 and 20 day cycle-- meaning I O'd even earlier now- CD7-9. My FSH rose to 17.3 when it was tested in mid-June so I am speculating that the early O is on account of the higher FSH.

July 31st, 2011, 2:03 pm #10

your early O is most likely attributed to the state of your ovaries and your overall fertility and your higher FSH is a result of that. but a simple elevation one month in FSH does not mean you will O early. If you have elelvated E2 on CD3, then yes, you probably will. as stated previously, my highest FSH was 12 in may and i still ovulated on day 14 and i still ovulate on day 14 with or without medicated cycles. so really i think everyone is truly different in terms of how they respond to DOR.