Doing OOT monitoring with Check and getting really frustrated

Doing OOT monitoring with Check and getting really frustrated

Cathy
Cathy

April 13th, 2011, 2:30 pm #1

Hi ladies - it's been a while.

I went to see Dr. Check on Feb. 23, and he put me on Estinyl. I've been getting b/w done literally every week since, and it seems as though every week, I have the same problem: Either my local lab doesn't receive the faxed prescription from Check's office (even though I always call and ask for it the day before), or Check's office will call the afternoon of the b/w and say they didn't get the results from my local lab. This results in about five back and forth phone calls, and a lot a stress. To top it off, my E2 is not rising - at all. Background:

When I went to see Dr. Check for the first time, my FSH was a record 99. Yikes! Since then, it has been dropping steadily, but my E2 has never risen above 40. Last week's numbers:

FSH: 18.9
E2: 40.4
LH: 9.7
P: 0.4

I'm just getting really frustrated both with the constant issues with the labs and nurses and with the lack of results. At this point, I just feel like giving up.

Can anyone offer advice? Thank you!

Cee
Cee

April 13th, 2011, 3:20 pm #2

If you scroll down a bit you'll see that I have complained about the very same thing with Cooper! Some of the wonderful ladies on this board have offered their advice - please check it out. I am @ my local RE's right now and on my phone otherwise I'd post the link.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 13th, 2011, 5:17 pm #3

I went to see Dr. Check on Feb. 23, and he put me on Estinyl. I've been getting b/w done literally every week since, and it seems as though every week, I have the same problem: Either my local lab doesn't receive the faxed prescription from Check's office (even though I always call and ask for it the day before), or Check's office will call the afternoon of the b/w and say they didn't get the results from my local lab. This results in about five back and forth phone calls, and a lot a stress. To top it off, my E2 is not rising - at all. Background:

When I went to see Dr. Check for the first time, my FSH was a record 99. Yikes! Since then, it has been dropping steadily, but my E2 has never risen above 40. Last week's numbers:

I'm just getting really frustrated both with the constant issues with the labs and nurses and with the lack of results. At this point, I just feel like giving up.

then you should have received an OOT packet either at your consult or in the mail after your consult.

That OOT packet has a blank standing order for b/w. You are to photocopy that standing order (as many copies as you may need) and each time you go in to your b/w lab or your u/s place you give them a copy of the order with the necessary info indicated (like name, date, and check mark the tests you're getting done). There shouldn't be a reason for Cooper to have to fax over orders each time you need labs unless the orders are for labs you've never done before and would therefore not have an order in hand.

As for the lab not sending over the results - you'd need to take that up with them. I know that I was always grateful that at least Cooper would call to say they hadn't received them. I never got that kind of service from Cornell whenever I did labs OOT. Unless I called them saying did you get, no one would call me saying they never got.

Have you asked anyone at Cooper what it is you should be expecting to see in terms of results? You need to set up a callback with a doctor right away.

Your numbers you posted look pretty decent. What are the next steps after getting those results?

Cee
Cee

April 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm #4

and not accept the photocopied b/w & u/s orders. They want a new one issued every time. Coordinating this with Cooper is troublesome.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 13th, 2011, 8:13 pm #5

I can't imagine undergoing treatment for anything and having to operate like this!

When I was doing OOT with both Cooper and Cornell my local RE clinic didn't have any issue with using photocopied orders. ANd the same when I have had to use a local radiology group and local Quest.

And now that I'm PG, my own OB gave me a photocopy order for b/w and NT scan and the hospital had no issue taking it.

If my doctors had to send over orders each and every time for everything I'd be frustrated too!

Is it a state law thing that they require the order to come directly from the doctor's office? I can't imagine it has anything to do with the "photocopy" look because the faxed version is the same as the photocopy version...

Tanya
Tanya

April 13th, 2011, 8:48 pm #6

My local clinic requires that Cooper faxes over the blood/ ultra sound order directly to them. They caught on I was faxing it because of the local fax number (silly, I know). I think it is because they need to know for certain that Cooper ordered the tests which seems a waste of time to me but not a battle I want to fight since the process has been working for me.

I have only had one glitch and have been at this since last August. What I do is call Cooper (Option 3 call back desk, then option 4 to order prescriptions). I request that they fax the order over to the local clinic the day before I need it.
In other words if I need to go on Tuesday, I call them on Monday and request the script. I always make sure I tell Cooper what I need the script for and leave both the local clinic fax number and my contact information. I then call the local clinic and let them know I cam coming in the next day and they should be receiving a script from Cooper and to please call me if they dont receive it by noon.
I have found that Cooper faxes it over first thing in the morning but I always make sure I call them right at 8am with the voice mail opens so maybe they do it before they get busy?

Hope maybe this helps

Cee
Cee

April 13th, 2011, 9:13 pm #7

but sometimes Cooper will fax it over that same day with that date of service on it. So like if I called to request an order be faxed today for b/w tomorrow, they'd put today's date on it and then my local clinic would want for tomorrow's date. Mrs. A, it's totally cumbersome and a large part of the frustration (for me at least!). I always make my appts first thing in the morning, like 7:30 or 7:45 and I'll get there and there won't be an order or the date will be wrong. Then the appt gets delayed as I call Cooper to try to get them to send over the right order.

My clinic requires the fax come directly from Cooper with the order signed by Dr. Check (it's a stamp of Dr. Cooper's signature, but whatever).

KarenGH
KarenGH

April 14th, 2011, 2:30 am #8

My local clinic requires that Cooper faxes over the blood/ ultra sound order directly to them. They caught on I was faxing it because of the local fax number (silly, I know). I think it is because they need to know for certain that Cooper ordered the tests which seems a waste of time to me but not a battle I want to fight since the process has been working for me.

I have only had one glitch and have been at this since last August. What I do is call Cooper (Option 3 call back desk, then option 4 to order prescriptions). I request that they fax the order over to the local clinic the day before I need it.
In other words if I need to go on Tuesday, I call them on Monday and request the script. I always make sure I tell Cooper what I need the script for and leave both the local clinic fax number and my contact information. I then call the local clinic and let them know I cam coming in the next day and they should be receiving a script from Cooper and to please call me if they dont receive it by noon.
I have found that Cooper faxes it over first thing in the morning but I always make sure I call them right at 8am with the voice mail opens so maybe they do it before they get busy?

Hope maybe this helps
removing the fax ID from your fax machine and faxing it over? I have a home office with my business name and number set to print on the outgoing fax. My local clinic wanted me to bring a copy of the order every time I came in and they were fine with that for a while (until they decided they wouldn't monitor me anymore because they didn't believe I'd get pregnant with my own eggs - which is another story).

Anyway, when I switched to using a local u/s facility, they said they needed a new order sent from Cooper due to the date of the original being over a year old. I turned off the fax ID and faxed a copy of Cooper's order with a new date. No problem.

If you are using a machine other than your own, you obviously probably can't do this, but if you have your own machine, it may work. It may even be worth investing in a basic fax machine to avoid the hastle.

April 14th, 2011, 2:36 am #9

Unfortunately for me I was faxing it in from my work, and don't have a fax machine at home. But good idea!

Sara H
Sara H

April 14th, 2011, 2:54 pm #10

that sends stuff. I have no idea what the cover letter looks like but you could call them and ask. Just google "online fax service" and a bunch pop up.

(I have been reading this post intently since I will soon be in the same boat. My first Check appointment is in May and I am looking for a local clinic now.)

Good luck, Ladies!

Sara H.